PDA

View Full Version : RCP Adjustable Bank Turn

RCPMini-z
2005.03.04, 10:27 PM
I am working on an RCP adjustable bank turn design that I hope will be available as a kit, very shortly. The kit will assemble in minutes and will require no glue or tools. The user will have the ability to adjust the height of the bank in many increments. The bank will cover an entire 180 degree RCP turn and the tiles will attach to the assembly via side rail attachment PINS that come with the original RCP Track kit.

The design will work for both the standard and mini-tile RCP track kits. After working with the materials to create the bank, I figured that the same process could be used to make humps, jumps and table tops with the RCP track as well. I still have to do some final testing, but should have them available at the same time as the banks.

All my designs use materials readily accessible to most people, but the idea is to offer everything pre-cut/drilled in a kit form at a low cost that may be very close to the price someone would pay for the materials alone. I hope buying the materials in bulk; will help make the price of the kits very attractive to most. I only plan on a very small markup on the kits, since most people that buy them will be previous RCP customers. My goal is to offer a complete 180 degree adjustable bank for around $25 - $29. I am still negotiating the cost of the materials with my supplier and that will ultimately determine the final cost of the kits.

I will keep you updated on the progress.

arch2b
2005.03.04, 10:32 PM
sounds good. it's very nice to know after creating such a great product you are continuiously searchign to make it even better ie; the taller rails, clear rail protectors, mountain tiles, painted turn tiles etc, etc.

TITANIUM
2005.03.04, 10:34 PM
i would like to get one but a 3 tile wide bank...

RCPMini-z
2005.03.04, 10:44 PM
Thanks,

I have a lot of designs on the drawing board and would love to have them all available, but most of my designs require a great deal of money up front to make the molds. In order to commit to one of them, I would have to be relatively sure that the cost to make the mold would pay for itself in future sales.

We have already spent the money to make a mold that will create a one piece long PIN, so people can double up the side rails for larger RC vehicles. With all the new 1/18 scale trucks and the existing 1/18 scale cars, a taller rail was needed. We already have contracts to build many 1/18 scale tracks for large companies here in the US and overseas, so this investment will be worth it.

RCPMini-z
2005.03.04, 10:47 PM
i would like to get one but a 3 tile wide bank...

I think the current design could be extended to handle a 3 tile wide. Making a 3 tile wide large oval using the banks could be fun.

I will have to do some more tests, but the higher you set the bank, the more of a chance you will have of the F1 front wing rubbing when entering the turn. If that bothers the F1 guys, you could probably build up under the track just before the turn to make a more smooth transition to prevent the rubbing. I will run some tests to see how high you can go with the standard setup, before needing to do modifications to the area ahead of the turn.

I have been talking with the guys from L.V. Ceasers Palace and things are looking good for a PN Racing World Championship at the hotel. I plan to possibly incorporate some of the banks into the finals track, if Philip wants them.

TNB
2005.03.04, 10:57 PM
I have been talking with the guys from L.V. Ceasers Palace and things are looking good for a PN Racing World Championship at the hotel. I plan to possibly incorporate some of the banks into the finals track, if Philip wants them.
You too, huh. ;)

RCPMini-z
2005.03.04, 11:01 PM
You too, huh. ;)

Yes, thanks for your help D.

TNB
2005.03.05, 12:18 AM
You, Philip, and the Mini-Z-Racing community are welcome. I'll be looking forward to meeting a few more happy racers soon. :) It will be like a big reunion with a few more people. :D

TITANIUM
2005.03.05, 12:38 AM
I think the current design could be extended to handle a 3 tile wide. Making a 3 tile wide large oval using the banks could be fun.

I will have to do some more tests, but the higher you set the bank, the more of a chance you will have of the F1 front wing rubbing when entering the turn. If that bothers the F1 guys, you could probably build up under the track just before the turn to make a more smooth transition to prevent the rubbing. I will run some tests to see how high you can go with the standard setup, before needing to do modifications to the area ahead of the turn.

not all f1 front wings are at the same height...so I imagine that people will be breaking out the dremels to cut down the front posts and raising the wing up to accommodate...that may make some unhappy....(I already did it to mine and added extra degree positioning also...I donít know if it helps...but it might on a very fast wide corner...
anyway...imo I would like to see one bank corner at worlds cup...but thats all....

Roger
2005.03.05, 01:20 AM
any pictures ? Thanks.

TNB
2005.03.05, 04:56 PM
Photos? Here is one sort of Exotic Cars at Caesars. Oh, I bet you wanted T to post a photo. ;)

lfisminiz
2005.03.05, 07:00 PM
Thanks for info rcp. Ive been waiting to buy accesories for my track. Some of these ideas sound pretty good.

Maxfield
2005.03.05, 11:22 PM
RCPMiniZ -

Let me chime in and add my kudos too. Looking forward to the new bank turn, high minitile rails and more blanks for my sets. Great product and excellent support.

BTW, F1 2005 regulations raised the height of the F1 front wing specs, so "theoretically", a little dremel work to raise the front wings would actually bring the existing cars up to the most recent specs! :p

I put on one of the CP miniraceway front wings and then bent it up so the car wouldn't "get stuck" under the rails when I hit the wall. It didn't occur to me just to raise the front wing which may work as a better solution without having to imbalance the car with the big front wing. I'll try it!

jaubery
2005.03.06, 08:07 AM
I am working on an RCP adjustable bank turn design that I hope will be available as a kit, very shortly. The kit will assemble in minutes and will require no glue or tools. The user will have the ability to adjust the height of the bank in many increments. The bank will cover an entire 180 degree RCP turn and the tiles will attach to the assembly via side rail attachment PINS that come with the original RCP Track kit.

The design will work for both the standard and mini-tile RCP track kits. After working with the materials to create the bank, I figured that the same process could be used to make humps, jumps and table tops with the RCP track as well. I still have to do some final testing, but should have them available at the same time as the banks.

All my designs use materials readily accessible to most people, but the idea is to offer everything pre-cut/drilled in a kit form at a low cost that may be very close to the price someone would pay for the materials alone. I hope buying the materials in bulk; will help make the price of the kits very attractive to most. I only plan on a very small markup on the kits, since most people that buy them will be previous RCP customers. My goal is to offer a complete 180 degree adjustable bank for around $25 - $29. I am still negotiating the cost of the materials with my supplier and that will ultimately determine the final cost of the kits.

I will keep you updated on the progress.

I've been waiting for banked turns since I first bought my rcp-track over a year ago. The bottom line is you need to make fresh designs and bring them to market or your competitors will beat you to it. You may have current contracts that keep production humming along but resting on your laurels and taking your sweet time to offer new innovations is a quick way to make your product obsolete. Just my two cents.

Ninja
2005.03.06, 09:23 AM
i would like to get some bank turns, a plateau (sp) bridge, small hills, many things that would make the track more 3 demensional. it would really add a new aspect to driving ability. i am currently debating on cutting up some of my fatigue mats and making my own banked turns

arch2b
2005.03.06, 11:00 AM
I've been waiting for banked turns since I first bought my rcp-track over a year ago. The bottom line is you need to make fresh designs and bring them to market or your competitors will beat you to it. You may have current contracts that keep production humming along but resting on your laurels and taking your sweet time to offer new innovations is a quick way to make your product obsolete. Just my two cents.
just interjecting (not arguing)
but rcp has not been out that long.... and in the mean time rcp has gone far above alot of other manufacturers in listening to what we want via the forums and doing his best to provide them.
some of the things i can think of already are pit lanes, expansion kits, reworked pins, starting lanes on both sides, blank tiles, logo rails and i'm sure rcp can point out more.

TNB
2005.03.06, 11:18 AM
arch2b,
I agree.

jaubery,
Please list RCP Tracks current competitors? I don't mean those working out of a garage modifying exercise mats, but some companies that actually make and sell tracks. And please don't bother to list Radio Shack, Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower, Kyosho or MZR since they are selling RCP Tracks. In addition, please don't bother to list ozite distributors either since a piece of carpet just doesn't cut it in my opinion, but feel free to list and link to those companies that have some sort of interlocking tiles/track, optional tiles/track, and of course, barrier rails that can be attached to the rails and removed at the same time--a complete system in other words--as well as respond on this forum.

I also wonder, did you write Kyosho too since the Iwaver was released or even the Xmod about "resting on [their] laurels and taking [their] sweet time to offer new innovations is a quick way to make [their] product obsolete?

TNB
2005.03.06, 12:17 PM
and of course, barrier rails that can be attached to the [tiles/additional] rails and removed at the same time--a complete system in other words--as well as respond on this forum.
I also forgot an end quote " at the end of the post I quoted earlier, but I'm pretty sure most people would have known what I meant to write anyway.

RCPMini-z
2005.03.06, 12:21 PM
just interjecting (not arguing)
but rcp has not been out that long.... and in the mean time rcp has gone far above alot of other manufacturers in listening to what we want via the forums and doing his best to provide them.
some of the things i can think of already are pit lanes, expansion kits, reworked pins, starting lanes on both sides, blank tiles, logo rails and i'm sure rcp can point out more.

Yes, a few years is relatively new for any new product. During that time we have received many emails from people all over the world. Some of the emails where regarding features that people would like to see in future kits. We listened to what they had to say and put into production the features most wanted. Some of the most popular ideas that we have put into production where the expansion tiles to make wider lanes, finish line print on both sides, center finish line print for 3 and 4 tile wide RCP tracks, a mini track to use in confined spaces, taller side rails on the mini-tracks and just recently double rails and taller PINS for larger RC vehicles.

The lowest on the list of features people asked about where bank turns and prefab jumps/humps. I believe this is the case, because these are things people could just create themselves very easily, without having to spend the money on a prefab kit. Bank turns are easily made by just putting boxes or props under the turns and jumps and humps can easily be made by putting PVC pipe or wood under the tiles at various locations, since the tiles are flexible and will bend over obstacles.

With that said, I am working on some prefab kits for banks and jumps here at the shop for those that want a little more. The kits will be made with materials readily accessible to most, but will be precut and drilled for those that don't have the tools or time to make something themselves. I should have some banks and other add-ons available within the next few weeks.

TITANIUM
2005.03.06, 02:23 PM
rcp, do you offer a direct sale for items like the rounded corners like the ones on the rialto track?

I would like to get one or two corners on my set up...especially at the end of the straight...

p.s. stop taking your sweet time and get to providing that portable blow-up 4000sq ft. warehouse. im really getting sick of my small garage...jeez ive been waiting over a year!

arch2b
2005.03.06, 02:30 PM
i have atleast 2 corners i could use the larger rounded courners on as well :p

jaubery
2005.03.07, 12:28 AM
arch2b,
I agree.

jaubery,
Please list RCP Tracks current competitors? I don't mean those working out of a garage modifying exercise mats, but some companies that actually make and sell tracks. And please don't bother to list Radio Shack, Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower, Kyosho or MZR since they are selling RCP Tracks. In addition, please don't bother to list ozite distributors either since a piece of carpet just doesn't cut it in my opinion, but feel free to list and link to those companies that have some sort of interlocking tiles/track, optional tiles/track, and of course, barrier rails that can be attached to the rails and removed at the same time--a complete system in other words--as well as respond on this forum.

I also wonder, did you write Kyosho too since the Iwaver was released or even the Xmod about "resting on [their] laurels and taking [their] sweet time to offer new innovations is a quick way to make [their] product obsolete?

Easy there buddy. I just voiced a little frustration and put in a comment from one business owner to another.

arch2b
2005.03.07, 05:31 AM
understood :) no harm ment

byebye
2005.03.07, 07:13 AM
Did anyone ever think of contributing to that fresh new idea? Everyone wants somthing new but never wants to pay the new price. I think RCP is one of the most responsive vendors out there supporting the mini-z following.

arch2b
2005.03.07, 07:54 AM
Did anyone ever think of contributing to that fresh new idea? Everyone wants somthing new but never wants to pay the new price. I think RCP is one of the most responsive vendors out there supporting the mini-z following.
not sure i follow :confused: all of the current accessory items are purchased directly from rcp as they are currently not listed in the shop. i would gladly pay whatever price he lists for the sale of these and future accessory items.:p

i don't know of many business's that charge for r&d as those costs' get factored into the production unit costs'. he could always offer a paypal address for contributoins if that's what your suggesting. i'll wait to see what you meant as i'm likely misunderstanding what was said.

byebye
2005.03.07, 10:20 AM
Easy there buddy. I just voiced a little frustration and put in a comment from one business owner to another.

Voice a frustration for what reason? Did you contact the vendor to let them know? That's the point I'm trying to make. It's always that one guy that comes on here and thinks he knows everything. The mini-z hobby is whatever you want it to be. If you think you can build a better track or better laptiming system or a much better rc then go do it. Don't whine about the vendors that ARE doing it. Theres nothing that irritates me more than people that complain without a solution. Vendors like feedback not whining.

arch2b
2005.03.07, 10:37 AM
ahh, gotchya

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.07, 03:54 PM
tnb i must partially disagree with you on puttijng down other track surfaces. for one ozite...its a pretty neat surface and fairly unique...somewhere between felt and carpet Also, all these regupol tracks we see in sweeden...they seem nice too. Different surfaces make for different setups. In larger touring we have carpet and tons of asphalt types...in offroad there are numerous dirt types from loamy to blue groove. variety is the spice of life!

But I will agree that RCP has made excellent additions has reinvented their invention and allows for a VERY varied track...once the warm weather hits I WILL get one and ditch my fatigues because it suites my needs best.

And i'd love to see some 3D devices such as hills and jumps and rythm sections...my overland will smile!

TNB
2005.03.07, 04:29 PM
You may disagree with my view point of track surfaces when it comes to running Kyosho Mini-Zs on them, but my point is and I will reiterate it once again, are those track manufactuers posting on Mini-Z Racer and responding to the whims of those who post on this forum? If so, Ozite where are you? Regupol, where are you? And where are your rails systems? Wasn't Lakeshore here, so do they have a banked turn? Have their lanes been widened? Have they added various types of surfaces tiles to their track? Better yet, if the other track manufactuerers are reading these forums and this thread, they should be able to respond themselves.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.07, 04:38 PM
TNB- I think regupol and oxite are just surfaces (though I may be wrong) so they arent really building tracks. Though I have seem Ozite tracks made by people (at a large premium over teh surface cost).

And yes I agree, RCP has taken it to the next level by making an AFFORDABLE modular track system. And I also must agree that they are active on the forum and I am always surprosed when he comes out with a highly requested item.

I still like variety in surface and layout...this is why I'm gonna get an RCP track..two surfaces (with the posiibility for an offroad) and unlimited possibilities in 3D and 2D layout options.

Shelby
2005.03.07, 05:43 PM
Lets get back to the topic of this thread. RCp do you have any pictures you could post of your bank and other designs? I am sure if you post them here people can give you some comments before you put something into production.

RCPMini-z
2005.03.07, 09:26 PM
This was not one of my first designs, but something I came up with just recently. I am still doing some tests with it and may need some additional work to make it just right. I will post some pictures of the original bank designs shortly. Your comments are most welcome, good or bad.

This bank is adjustable by moving the supports forward or backward. You can reposition the supports on other locations for additional height or remove them for slight bank.

What do you think?

bda52
2005.03.08, 12:41 AM
Wasn't Lakeshore here, so do they have a banked turn? Have their lanes been widened? Have they added various types of surfaces tiles to their track?

Well I cannot tell you if Lakeshore is reading this but they have added banked corners (does not look adjustable). They now also have 4 foot wide lane tracks available. They also have standard and grip surface available along with pit lane, tunnel, bridge, street lights and a few others. They do have some neat stuff but still cannot widen lanes.

Just mentioned that for info. I am not a "fanboy" of them, just was checking out my options before I ordered a used RCP on at the bay.

I used all of the information from this site before making my final decision. The biggest help was RCP being an active member on the board. Hopefully I will be getting my wide L before the weekend along with CP Cup conversion with 2 extra bodies and decals from them and another seller. Can you tell I got my refund check??

The seller of the RCP told me the track is dirty so I do have a question, what do you use to clean the track?

RCP- Are there any plans on making a "pie slice" type piece for turns? Kind of like the esses at Watkins Glen. Or if you will a throw back to the old AFX slot car tracks. WG has always been one of my fav road courses in the world and would love to build a home version.

Thanks to all

By the way RCP, LOVE the adj banked turns, can build Bristol then turn it into Martinsville in a heartbeat. Any chance that part could be installed backwords to make off camber turns?

Also just found the other thread on how to clean the track. I thought I had read it somewhere before!

RCPMini-z
2005.03.08, 10:24 AM
Thanks bda52,

Putting custom sections into production is one thing, but we can make just about any shape section you want here at the shop for individual requests. Just send us an email showing a sample of what you are looking for and we can put together a price and make it here. That goes for banks too. If you want a special bank piece try and draw something up and send it our way and I am sure we can duplicate it with the RCP surface and rails.

Cleaning dirty tracks should be quick and easy. Most dust and dirt on the track surface can be removed by using a slightly moistened rag. The side rails are very durable and can be scrubbed with a damp brush using soap and water or a wet rag as described above. I just wouldn't recommend getting the tiles very wet and then letting them bake in the sun. The mats may work like a sponge in this fashion and shrink at the links. Just a mildly damp rag works fine.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.08, 10:28 AM
they look good

TNB
2005.03.08, 10:54 AM
This was not one of my first designs, but something I came up with just recently. I am still doing some tests with it and may need some additional work to make it just right. I will post some pictures of the original bank designs shortly. Your comments are most welcome, good or bad.

This bank is adjustable by moving the supports forward or backward. You can reposition the supports on other locations for additional height or remove them for slight bank.

What do you think?
It looks very easy to make using the existing pieces if one wants to sacrifice some bumps and straight barrier rails (I don't have that many bumps though). How does the bank look from the above or basically look attached? And despite what others may believe, I still think you go above and beyond what any other Kyosho Mini-Z track manufacturer (or surface provider) does when it comes to providing member feedback on this forum which is evident from who is posting, the photos provided, the links provided, and the time spent at the races. By the way, I also heard that the Dunlop guys were very impressed though I don't want to write anymore on this forum about it in a public arena. Looking forward to seeing the banks (not to be confused with bank heists). ;)

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.08, 11:01 AM
ItAnd despite what others may believe, I still think you go above and beyond what any other Kyosho Mini-Z track manufacturer (or surface provider) does when it comes to providing member feedback on this forum.
Agreed...I'd say the best on feedback period...with core coming in second....say what happened to those 2005 nominations?

how do they support larger scale cars? And is an off camber bank possible?

bda52
2005.03.08, 12:42 PM
TNB - I totally agree with you. That is why I looked for a RCP track.

My decision came down:

1) RCP being here on the site with such quick responses to questions.

2) Everyone on this board's preference of RCP over other portable tracks

3) Price compaired to the competition. Better value and easier make your own layouts compaired to the other company mentioned.

4) RCP's shear love of racing. Though I am sure he would love to make millions from his product, he is digging to get a nice strong foothold in the market. He is making friends and a strong customer base that will be repeat customers.

RCP - I am sure I will be in touch in the near future with questions for you about custom products. Just have to wait until I finally get that track and a little more cash...

And thank you for being the model that I only wish other companies would follow in todays market.

deputydog336
2005.03.10, 08:55 AM
You may disagree with my view point of track surfaces when it comes to running Kyosho Mini-Zs on them, but my point is and I will reiterate it once again, are those track manufactuers posting on Mini-Z Racer and responding to the whims of those who post on this forum? If so, Ozite where are you? Regupol, where are you? And where are your rails systems? Wasn't Lakeshore here, so do they have a banked turn? Have their lanes been widened? Have they added various types of surfaces tiles to their track? Better yet, if the other track manufactuerers are reading these forums and this thread, they should be able to respond themselves.

Lakeshore tracks do have banked turns, jumps, now have new 4 foot wide tracks as opposed to their standard 2 foot wide tracks, tunnels, mountain sections are coming, pinch sections, and many other accessories. For those overland owners and stuff they have new custm made race sections that are really sweet unfortunetly they come with a HUGE pricetag but at least they are also working on coming out with new products that reach to all diffierent type of mini z owners. some people have tons of money for this stuff some have very little and make do with less expensive products and make their own tracks, or some people are somweher in the middle trying to decide what to do (Like myself) In the last three months since I started looking at Lakeshores webiste thhey have added several new accesory pieces with more to come. They have been listening to the ideas and implementing people's ideas into product for sale. RCP tracks look really nice too. I'm sitting here debating which way to go. I hope RCP comes out with the bank turns and such. The more choices people have the better. I applaud all the companies out here that are expanding the mini z world, like RCP, Lakeshore, Iwaver. Everyone has their own idea of what's best or what they can afford.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.03.10, 09:04 AM
the thing I recently witnessed with RCP is the texture. I saw a sample tile in a rat shack a but ago and it is not really a fatigue mat. I also think RCP has a better rail system than lakeshore...I too have been doing lots of reasearch all winter and once the spring comes I'm ditching my fatigue mats for a mini 96 with some lane expanders and the banked turns.

arch2b
2005.03.10, 09:15 AM
lets try to keep lakeshore information in their own threads. it tends to bring out the worst in people when interjected in rcp threads. :p

naturally i preferr rcp products but i believe in the benifits of an open forum where all manufacturer's should be welcome to interact. rcp has set the standard so to speak for what i would consider a major manufacturer that others should strive to emulate in terms of reaching out to customers. and i would prefer to have them do so under one roof (here naturally) than having to jump from forum to forum.

TNB
2005.03.10, 11:32 AM
I just love it when people quote me yet miss the point even when I reiterate the point.

but my point is and I will reiterate it once again, are those track manufactuers posting on Mini-Z Racer and responding to the whims of those who post on this forum? . . . Better yet, if the other track manufactuerers are reading these forums and this thread, they should be able to respond themselves.

And despite what others may believe, I still think [RCP goes] above and beyond what any other Kyosho Mini-Z track manufacturer (or surface provider) does when it comes to providing member feedback on this forum which is evident from who is posting, the photos provided, the links provided, and the time spent at the races.

Kudos to RCP Tracks, his modifications, his support, and his desire to create additional modifications for the MZR community.

bda52
2005.04.26, 12:49 AM
Any updates on the status of the bank turn support?

Twenty-Se7en
2005.05.05, 12:44 AM
I'm liking those banked turns... but to be perfectly honest RCP... putting a few books under a turn has worked for me in the past and I think I may keep doing that... unless this really takes off.