PDA

View Full Version : 1/24th Scale RC @ 70+ MPH!

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.08, 01:45 PM
ABC DTM w/ Mamba Brushless X motor, plus 12 Cells (more voltage than 3 cell Lipo's). 12 tooth pinion/42 spur:

Result: Uncontrollably fast Mini RC.

Body: Nissan Skyline R34 LM

Ninja
2005.03.08, 06:32 PM
any link to this? is that street speed or dyno speed?

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.08, 09:51 PM
Ninja, you know I don't do Dynos. This is street. So far, 2 broken chassis, scratched up Mamba motor, wet receiver, esc, servo (car spun out into the gutter on mid throttle due to tooooooooo much power).

1/4 throttle = my 56 mph ABC DTM.

If I shift aggressively from low to Mid Throttle it spins out, mind you, the car is going faster than my 56 mph DTM.

Videos, as always, soon to be posted.

Yes, I was nervous, because the car is crazy crazy crazy fast!

I'll take on any 1/18th anytime, not drag, but top speed. I can't accelerate right away, because the car will just do endless donuts.

My estimate on full full speed (1 block is not big enough) is approximately 80+. Again, I don't dynos.

Ninja
2005.03.09, 08:10 AM
man that is amazing, i would love to see video of a 1/24 that fast. is it not all wheel drive? i would think that something that fast would almost deffinately have to be all wheel drive to keep it in a straight line while accelerating

TNB
2005.03.09, 12:23 PM
The ABC DTMx4 is 4WD. I was trying to get NML to drop a 3-cell lipo in it instead since we originally spoke about me using the Mamba-25 and 8000Kv motor set up, but I may just have to bring a 3-cell lipo to Rialto instead if NML is using the Dean's Ultra Plug 2 prong connector and hook it up to see what a difference it makes. ;)

http://store.xtremercproducts.com/wsdm1300.html

See you soon NML.

arch2b
2005.03.09, 01:47 PM
btw, the shop now carries deans products. if the type anyone want's are not list, please email the shop.

TNB
2005.03.09, 01:50 PM
Are any listed at all? I just did a quick search typing in "Dean" and nothing came up.

arch2b
2005.03.09, 01:55 PM
hmm... there were pins listed at one time. i guess they sold out. i'll email mini-z about restock.... would someone be willing to start a thread about requested items which i could then email him the link to watch? they have lots of stuff.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.09, 04:13 PM
Thanks, TNB, but I have the 3 Pin Micro Deans plugs. The car has been revised and now has a custom rear end. Hand crafted, just like the motors I make for the Mini-Z's Xmods, DTMs, etc.

It is wicked! The body will be a Skyline R-34 by ABC Hobby. This will soon hit the Guiness Book of WR. Now that I have a little more time, I'll be able to make this an official statement.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.11, 08:38 AM
The car is finally completed. I messed up on the body, so I did not take the cutting and trimming too seriously. It's painted yellow. I tried it on a HUUUGGEE Parking lot, and could not open it all the way. By the time I'm mid=throttle, I'm already on the other side, becuase it's so fast. THIS CAR IS INSANE!!!

TNB
2005.03.11, 12:05 PM
You'll just have to bring it here and run it on the 1/4 scale track. See you soon.

Here is a link to an older photo prior to the outdoor lighting and construction of the other buildings.
http://www.qsac.org/images/trackpics/west/boulder.jpg

June 24-25, 2005 = QSAC National Championship Race
http://www.qsac.org/pdfs/2005%20National%20Championship.pdf

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.12, 01:37 AM
If it's not one thing, it's the other. None of my pinion gears would last anymore than 5 -10 minutes. I've gone thru 2 spur gears and 5 pinions so far. At top speed, the front just lifts and start flipping up in the air. Amizingly, it lands upright all the time.

This car is definitely the world's fastest! Once I try it on a real big open area, I'm predicting, 100 mph, easily! If I can hold it down to the ground. I geared up to 15/42 without any sign of decrease in torque.

Ryan Gardner
2005.03.12, 02:48 AM
If it's not one thing, it's the other. None of my pinion gears would last anymore than 5 -10 minutes. I've gone thru 2 spur gears and 5 pinions so far. At top speed, the front just lifts and start flipping up in the air. Amizingly, it lands upright all the time.

This car is definitely the world's fastest! Once I try it on a real big open area, I'm predicting, 100 mph, easily! If I can hold it down to the ground. I geared up to 15/42 without any sign of decrease in torque.

I believe the world record for an RC car is 111 mph. They were running 24 1000mAh cells, and a heavily modified car. There is an article that talks about it here: http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/need_speed3.asp

byebye
2005.03.12, 04:52 AM
I believe the world record for an RC car is 111 mph. They were running 24 1000mAh cells, and a heavily modified car. There is an article that talks about it here: http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/need_speed3.asp

Has anyone ever seen the video of the rc car going 200mph on a teather? It was gas though.

TNB
2005.03.12, 10:50 AM
For that matter, there is another article at Tech TV along with a Video of the RC10 L30.
http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/44690/Worlds_Fastest_RC_Car.html

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.12, 11:09 AM
And I'm going to beat this record this summer. The car being discussed here on this forum is not my fastest. It's my warm up. I got one more that will only be revealed this summer.

1/10th scale x 111mph = 1110(scale speed)
1/24th scale x 80+ mph = 1920mph+(scale speed)
1/24th scale x 100mph = 2400 mph(scale speed)

pomme de terre
2005.03.12, 08:19 PM
can you really scale speed like that? speed is distance over time... you can sorta scale distance but i dont think you can scale time?

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.12, 09:47 PM
example: 1/24th scale going at 100 real MPH, then, if you scale down 100 mph to 1/24th, the scale speed is 2400 mph. Either way, the car could barely stay on the ground as it is. I'm not trying to make it any faster than it already is.

I most likely will take up TNB on his 3 cell LiPo Suction batteries.

TNB
2005.03.12, 10:03 PM
I most likely will take up TNB on his 3 cell LiPo Suction batteries.
I also went out to the 1/4 scale track today since there was some off-road racing at the new dirt track next to it. While I was there I obtained a contact number for the 1/4 scale track and this time I programmed it into my telephone so I wouldn't loose it again. I still think you should try to bring it down when the QSAC Nationals are being held and then perhaps, they may let you exhibition it or run it during a break and check the speed.

arch2b
2005.03.12, 11:52 PM
tnb, there is a slight chance i will be in las vegas in july. any chance i could meet up with you and nml if i can get real numbers?

TNB
2005.03.13, 02:32 PM
As long as it is some place with A/C since it should be 110+ here in July--I guess I could get some sunblock 5000 as used in a movie I watched the other night.

As a reminder, I don't anticipate having use of the warehouse past mid-April and even if escrow doesn't close by then, I doubt if I will have use of the warehouse that much longer since the property values around here are skyrocketing almost as fast as the gasoline prices. I don't know about today, but yesterday regular unleaded was $229.99 plus. Exotic Cars at Caesars should also be open next month, but the proposed store track is not that large. Of course, the "race" track should be quite large if the race is in fact held there in October.

TNB
2005.03.13, 04:28 PM
Although gas is "sort" of high here, I miswrote--$2.29 plus for regular unleaded. At least it will be cheaper in southern Utah though it gets trucked into there from here--freaking county tax anyway.

byebye
2005.03.14, 12:34 AM
I guess I could get some sunblock 5000 as used in a movie I watched the other night.

Hmm Terminator 2? Or I think Robocop?

TNB
2005.03.14, 12:42 AM
One of those RoboCop movies. The ladies were blue/green in the ads.

Ryan Gardner
2005.03.14, 11:45 AM
For that matter, there is another article at Tech TV along with a Video of the RC10 L30.
http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/44690/Worlds_Fastest_RC_Car.html

That article's opening made me cringe:

There are three basic rules for racing remote-control cars.
1. Wash and wax your car regularly, but don't throw it in the dishwasher.
2. Steer clear of miniature donut shops. That's where the miniature Highway Patrol hangs out.
3. Do not challenge Cliff Lett to an RC car race, because he will beat you. Easily.

So remember everyone - don't put your cars in the dishwasher... And watch out for those donut shops! Oh, and raw speed means someone will beat you - easily.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.16, 02:11 AM
In terms of scale speed, Cliff Lett has long been beaten. Not just by me, but by some other extreme micro RC'ers. The goal is to make a smaller RC car reach speeds faster than 1/10th, and it can be done! It has been done.

I have a lot of respect for Cliff. It would be nice if I could have the same back-up funding to produce the world's fastest Micro RC.

mini-z racing
2005.03.16, 11:28 PM
What would have to be done to make it faster? with those brishless motors out and new batterys in a few years all you will have to do to get a car wicked fast is spend 300-400 bucks.

NOMOTORLIMIT
2005.03.27, 02:32 PM
300 - 400 is about half of what is projected with the project I really want to make.