PDA

View Full Version : Want feedback for new track

kevo1036
2005.03.08, 05:40 PM
I was thinking about building a road rack for my xmod. My friends and I just recently bought a couple and want a fun track to run on. I was looking at other tracks and I found one at this site Track (http://www.geekjoan.com/latencyproject.htm) . It just looks like they have plywood and painted it. Has anyone tried this before and if so how did it react. I've seen many videos of tracks made by the same people that looked amazing. I was thinking of buying 4x8' sheets of plywood or the kind of wood that is used for peg boards minus the holes. I have a lot of leftover paint from painting my house so I would just paint it and use pvc or something for the walls. If any of you have tried this How did it work out and do you have any tips when making it. I thought about leaving them in separate sheets so i can pick them up and store them.

arch2b
2005.03.08, 05:49 PM
maybe latency or westf1 can pop in and give you some first hand feedback

Ninja
2005.03.08, 07:14 PM
the bad part about building a track like this is the fact that it isnt nearly as portable and versitile as an RCP track

kevo1036
2005.03.08, 07:43 PM
the bad part about building a track like this is the fact that it isnt nearly as portable and versitile as an RCP track

Well I dont want to spend $200+ on a RCP track especially since we just started. I was planning on leaving them in 4x8 sheets and putting together when we race and putting it up against a wall when we arent that way I can still use my garage for other things if i want

Spoon
2005.03.08, 08:17 PM
I was thinking about building a road rack for my xmod. My friends and I just recently bought a couple and want a fun track to run on. I was looking at other tracks and I found one at this site Track (http://www.geekjoan.com/latencyproject.htm) . It just looks like they have plywood and painted it. Has anyone tried this before and if so how did it react. I've seen many videos of tracks made by the same people that looked amazing. I was thinking of buying 4x8' sheets of plywood or the kind of wood that is used for peg boards minus the holes. I have a lot of leftover paint from painting my house so I would just paint it and use pvc or something for the walls. If any of you have tried this How did it work out and do you have any tips when making it. I thought about leaving them in separate sheets so i can pick them up and store them.

Here are my thoughts...

The pegboard stuff you mentioned is really cheap. Maybe 6 bucks a sheet. I think you may run in to a problem if they get too wet when you paint them. They will probably absorb moisture and warp. I am not sure about this though. If you use plywood, it has gotten so expensive that you may be better off buying an rcp track anyway.

For a surface you may want to mix in a little sand for grip.

PVC will probably shift when you hit the walls. You will need to secure it somehow.

Another option is to just paint your floor and run on that. But you still have the problem of securing the rails.

There are also lots of posts about anti-fatigue mats. I hear it's not as nice as RCP but it's about 1/4 the cost.

madf1man
2005.03.08, 09:13 PM
Some type of low ply carpet.Tape it down in use and roll it up when your done.On these small cars I don,t think its as important as larger scale.There wont be alot of carpet degredation????? short ply closed loop carpet.That being said nothing will ever compare to the rcp experience

bolter9
2005.03.09, 12:18 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of building a similar track. You could use dowels to hold the plywood together while racing, and that would allow you to dissamble the 4x8s and stack them somewhere.

For paint, you could try using a lightly textured paint for better grip.

What attracts me to this type of track is that while it's not as configurable as RCP, your not stuck with all the same radius turns. I also like the idea of putting in trees, grass and signs for a nice authentic look.

Of course at this point your talking about as much money or more as an RCP mini tile...and there are plenty of advantages to going that way.

TNB
2005.03.09, 12:37 PM
What attracts me to this type of track is that while it's not as configurable as RCP, your not stuck with all the same radius turns. I also like the idea of putting in trees, grass and signs for a nice authentic look.
If you want different radius turns on an RCP Track, all you have to do is "rehole" the tile or cut holes into a blank and stretch out/manipulate the rails to fit. If you check out the Rialto, California track you will notice that some of the turns are slightly different. I've also modified a few of the tiles on my track, but it was just so I could take 3-tile wides into an upside down "Y" or in order to add single tile lanes for a bridge. My layouts also have buildings, trees, bushes, signs, lights, people, and so on.

bolter9
2005.03.09, 01:28 PM
If you want different radius turns on an RCP Track, all you have to do is "rehole" the tile or cut holes into a blank and stretch out/manipulate the rails to fit. If you check out the Rialto, California track you will notice that some of the turns are slightly different. I've also modified a few of the tiles on my track, but it was just so I could take 3-tile wides into an upside down "Y" or in order to add single tile lanes for a bridge. My layouts also have buildings, trees, bushes, signs, lights, people, and so on.

That sounds like a good idea. Of course once you've added all the scenery detail, your RCP track is not longer as portable or configurable, which is one of it's main attractions. So at that point, I guess you're just getting the advantage of the RCP track surface?

Just for the record- I've never tried RCP, but have done a lot of reading on the forum about it- looks like a sweet track, and I may decide to go that route still.

TNB
2005.03.09, 01:39 PM
So far Gallery TNB has photos of 17 different large RCP Track layouts and although my layouts aren't really portable without a trailer to haul all the Ls, they are reconfigurable. I simply move around all the scenery too.

bolter9
2005.03.09, 02:22 PM
So far Gallery TNB has photos of 17 different large RCP Track layouts and although my layouts aren't really portable without a trailer to haul all the Ls, they are reconfigurable. I simply move around all the scenery too.

I guess I'm referring to a more permentent type of scenery- something with grass, hills, rock walls, maybe a fake pond- that kind of thing. If you built that on sections of plywood, you could still break it down for easy storage, but you wouldn't be able to reconfigure your track as freely as a stand-alone RCP.

kevo1036
2005.03.10, 12:00 AM
I guess I'm referring to a more permentent type of scenery- something with grass, hills, rock walls, maybe a fake pond- that kind of thing. If you built that on sections of plywood, you could still break it down for easy storage, but you wouldn't be able to reconfigure your track as freely as a stand-alone RCP.

I dont think I would bother with all the scenary at first I would just paint all black or a gray and maybe later if we find a design we really like paint green and more detailed like that so it shouldnt cost as much as RCP when u can buy 4x8 for around $10 and how would u use dowels to hold them together?

pianoman
2005.03.19, 01:37 AM
2 ways to hold plywood together...slide a 2x4 underneath and screw the peices to it..
dowels...you buy a dowel making tool to drill perfectly into the ends of adjoining sheets and put a small peice of dowel in the middle to attach. It doesnt hold them together (unless you glue)
, but keeps the surfaces flat to each other.