PDA

View Full Version : Best RCP for the space??

deputydog336
2005.03.13, 10:31 PM
OK still doing homework but I'm leaning to RCP. So RCP I got a question. My space available is approximately 14' by 14'. I would like to set up a good road course like I've seen in a lot of the photos around. I'm looking at the wide tracks...What would you suggest for that size sace to get the most total track into that space? Two wide L's? A wide L and wide Oval? Two wide L's and and oval? I have the printed out measurement sof the wide L and I saw the numerous set ups on your website but I'm not sure what the dimensions of a lot of those are once you start changing it all. Please help!

arch2b
2005.03.13, 10:39 PM
try using the rcp trackbuilder (http://www.rcptracks.com/html/layouts.html) the link is to the left....

deputydog336
2005.03.13, 10:51 PM
try using the rcp trackbuilder (http://www.rcptracks.com/html/layouts.html) the link is to the left....

Man I've been on the rCP webiste like 20 times now and I forgot all about it. Now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. I just want to figure out what wide stes to buy like 1 l and one oval or 2 l's....doubt I need more than that.

mini-z racing
2005.03.13, 11:31 PM
That track builder is neat, i never knew it was there.

TNB
2005.03.13, 11:43 PM
I used it once. Myself, I just start tossing tiles around and putting them together.

mini-z racing
2005.03.13, 11:53 PM
they should have a estimate of what it will cost too, i made a very big layout and thought it will be nice to have then thought of the price.

byebye
2005.03.14, 03:09 AM
I used the kyosho layouts but found that my basement wasn't big enough(20'x10') I made my layout similar to my AFM track. I have two wide L's but only use about one full wide L and about 5 tiles from the other wide L.

Ninja
2005.03.14, 06:55 AM
bye bye, do you "rotate stock" so to speak with your tiles to keep them wearing evenly? it might be a good idea to keep all the tiles wearing equal so that some day when you can set up the whole track you wont have traction or thickness differences in the track pieces. ;)

byebye
2005.03.14, 07:42 AM
Well never thought of that. It is a good idea considering my family has to walk on it to let the pitbull/chihuahua outback.;) Hopefully when I get to London I will have a big family room. If not then I will be packing it up and setting up somewhere on the weekends. My basement space is very limited so rotating tiles would be a pain. Right now the track is flipped to the slick side. I have my cars setup for that surface because of the DC/NYC GTG but since that shop is closing and I liked the other surface better I may change back. I will probably have about 50 to 100 hours of mini-z work to do not including actual track time.

If in fact I do have enough space to setup the whole track I will probably change the layout frequently at which point tiles will be rotated.

-Byebye

williams F1#3
2005.04.24, 01:18 PM
for the money, the mini-96 is the best. falken GT-R just got his on saturday.heres the layout

http://rcptracks.com/html/mini96.html

we raced 2 cars on it and there is plenty of room for passing and some high speed. 14x14 should be more than enough room. I think its the best because you get a techinical road race cource fo $200 intsted of just an L, which is also $200.

SeniorChief
2005.04.26, 12:50 AM
Go with the Mini-96 with a lane expansion kit. Great flexability and adds a little width in those "special" places...

Sure is nice to be home for a change! Finally will have some time to put the track together and run my cars again. It has been almost three months for god's sake! :D

arch2b
2005.04.26, 05:40 AM
glad to hear your stateside again :) we are running our last gtg with byebye before he moves to london this weekend

SeniorChief
2005.04.26, 08:11 AM
Wish I could be there, sounds like a good time! I saw byebye's itinary in another thread, didn't see the home of the Pacific Fleet SeaBee's on there... Now I will have to arrange a trip to London...

Roger
2005.04.26, 11:47 AM
Definately, the mini-96 wil be your ticket.

bolter9
2005.04.28, 08:41 PM
Wohoo! I just placed an order for the mini 96- I'm as giddy as a little school girl.

Ok maybe that's pushin' it :p

Roger
2005.04.29, 11:24 AM
Wohoo! I just placed an order for the mini 96- I'm as giddy as a little school girl.

It'll be the best thing in r/c that you'll ever purchased ( its been for me ). And, RCP has the best customer support. Have fun and remember to post some pix of your track. Congrats.

bolter9
2005.04.29, 11:58 AM
It'll be the best thing in r/c that you'll ever purchased ( its been for me ). And, RCP has the best customer support. Have fun and remember to post some pix of your track. Congrats.

Will do-

We've been running a PVC track on concrete that has treated us well for a while....so RCP will definitely be a step up.

can't wait, can't wait!

marc
2006.12.30, 01:37 PM
Hi there. Old thread but I like the track builder software. Great for creating ideas. Question though, how can I tell what size the track is? I dont see a dimension chart anywhere on that track builder. I think the space I have to work with is 15 feet wide by 35 feet long. It's an outer workshop that we built underneath out back deck so my dad can work on his projects. And I probably only have use to have the 35 space. So, probably 10 x 20 or something like that.

bolter9
2006.12.30, 03:43 PM
Hi there. Old thread but I like the track builder software. Great for creating ideas. Question though, how can I tell what size the track is? I dont see a dimension chart anywhere on that track builder. I think the space I have to work with is 15 feet wide by 35 feet long. It's an outer workshop that we built underneath out back deck so my dad can work on his projects. And I probably only have use to have the 35 space. So, probably 10 x 20 or something like that.

I'd definitely recommend the mini 96 w/expansion for a 10 x 20. Check my sig for pics of my mini 96 set up in an area close to that's about 15 x 20 (half of my garage).

arch2b
2006.12.30, 03:45 PM
with all the options out for the mini tracks, they are almost certainly the best option for anyone considering a track for home use.

briankstan
2006.12.30, 03:55 PM
in that same space you could also fit 2 wide L tracks also. most of the HFAY tracks would fit in that space.

marc
2006.12.30, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys. Only problem is I share the house with folks and it's mostly my dad's basement/workshop. It's what you would call a walk-out basement. The basement itselfe would certainly be big enough for a track if I had the place to myselfe. But dad's office takes half of it, and his model-building station takes another chunk out of it. I only have a small space for my model building and my computer. When you walk out of the basement, the place I was thinking is actually an outside room if you will that was built underneath our back deck.
Here is the office/work space.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC05426.jpg
Here is looking out to the outer-shop
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC05425.jpg
and here is the outer-shop itselfe. Not very big, but it should do the job if I can convince my dad to let me use it for this purpose.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC05427.jpg

briankstan
2006.12.30, 04:08 PM
you'd obviously have to clean it so at least the floor is clear. it's a little bigger than my basement living room where I have my track set up with 2 wide L's (according to the dims you posted)

heres a pic.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/sitebuilder/images/basement_track-760x570.jpg

marc
2006.12.30, 04:13 PM
Of coarse I have to clean it. First step is to get an RCP track, then convince my dad to let me use the space. THEN clean it. I could pull the cars out of the garage and use that, it's a three car garage so it's plenty big, but it get's awefully cold in there this time of year, and get's very dusty! The outer shop is a more logical place. The dimensions I posted were my dad's guestimations. We'd have to actually measure the space first.

bolter9
2006.12.30, 06:15 PM
in that same space you could also fit 2 wide L tracks also. most of the HFAY tracks would fit in that space.

you can really fit 2 wide Ls in a 15 x 20? ..is that using all the tiles?

Hammer
2006.12.30, 08:12 PM
This is one of the layouts I use for my two Wide-L's.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/1Hammer/RCPWide-Ls.jpg

This track measures 16'-4 1/2" x 13'-1" and uses all of the tiles.

I have a couple on Mini-96's with expansion tiles and would definitely recommend them for home use due to their added flexibility. I posted quite a bit of information regarding the Mini-96 in this thread. ;)

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13370

bolter9
2006.12.31, 11:15 AM
This is one of the layouts I use for my two Wide-L's.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/1Hammer/RCPWide-Ls.jpg

This track measures 16'-4 1/2" x 13'-1" and uses all of the tiles.

I have a couple on Mini-96's with expansion tiles and would definitely recommend them for home use due to their added flexibility. I posted quite a bit of information regarding the Mini-96 in this thread. ;)

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13370

Thanks Hammer.

Ninja
2006.12.31, 11:16 AM
you could also check out the HFAY layouts as I think they are all within your limits, just go to www.howfastareyou.com

mini-zfuel
2007.01.24, 01:34 PM

my question the type 96 looks like the best way for me to go for my garage, but I want to run up to two f1's at the same time... will there be ample room for them with no issues? or should I go with the wide tracks?
thanks!!!

arch2b
2007.01.24, 02:30 PM
the 96 with the expansion pack should suite you fine.

when you go to 50cm tiles, you will really limit the available layouts and options. especially since you can not buy all those nice optional kits for the 30cm tiles.

Spoon
2007.01.24, 02:36 PM
I agree with Arch, the Mini-96 will work fine. With the expansion and/or wide inside turns, you can drive two F1's without too much trouble.

I will warn you, that it will take some getting used to. I thought I was going to have to sell mine because i wouldn't be able to drive it when I first got it. After about 20 minutes it was all good. I am expecting the exp. pack to show up in a week or so.

bolter9
2007.01.24, 03:22 PM
my question the type 96 looks like the best way for me to go for my garage, but I want to run up to two f1's at the same time... will there be ample room for them with no issues? or should I go with the wide tracks?
thanks!!!

With experience, you can comfortably run 3-4 F1s at a time on the mini 96 with expansion pack.

The expansion pack is the trick though, it allows you to set up specific areas for passing, by widening the track to 90cm.

I usually run 90cm on my main straight, and the larger corner entries/exits. I run chicanes and hairpins at the normal 60cm.

Even then, once you get used to the track, you can pass in the 60cm sections pretty easily- the 90cm just makes it more comfortable when you're running larger races.