PDA

View Full Version : bda52's cars

bda52
2005.03.18, 04:40 PM
Here are my cars. 2 CP Cup converted F1, MR02, IW01 (did not have my IW02 with me at the time). First off, #98 RCA Ford. Driver: John Andretti Owner: Cale Yarborough

bda52
2005.03.18, 04:42 PM
#20 Home Depot 2005 paint scheme. Driver: Tony Stewart Owner: Joe Gibbs

bda52
2005.03.18, 04:44 PM
2000 #3 Goodwrench Chevy. Driver: Dale Earnhardt Owner: Richard Childress

bda52
2005.03.18, 04:45 PM
Finally MR02 Enzo and IW01 GT40. Both without mirrors now :eek:

Z-as in Zorglup
2005.03.18, 05:07 PM
Heyy !!
Very nice cars ! ;)
What's inside ? :)

bda52
2005.03.18, 05:09 PM
Heyy !!
Very nice cars ! ;)
What's inside ? :)

Right now just pretty much stock. One of the CP's has a 3racing motor. All the others have K Xspeeds. I have not gotten into FET upgrades...yet.

MR02 does have oil-filled damper and the shock roll kit.

Kevman
2005.03.18, 06:42 PM
I have the exact same #3 as yours. Only mine has stock tires... And I bet yours still runs..

bda52
2005.03.18, 06:46 PM
I painted the red stripe around the bottom of the car as well as the silver. I had noticed that the Slixx decals just did not stretch far enough. Right now that body will be sidelined. Mostly I will be running the 98. Huge Cale Yarborough fan. Probably will be painting a custom #28 Hardees car soon.

And yes, for now, all the cars still run but I have not been too hard on them yet.

Blackno3
2005.03.18, 08:27 PM
Very very nice paint jobs on those cars, when I get a chance Iíll send them to my web guy for are web site.

nightcrawler
2005.03.18, 09:23 PM
Hey could you tell me the best way to put the decals on.
Is there some special method that you used yours turned out really great
________
Anal Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/anal-sex/)

bda52
2005.03.18, 09:39 PM
Hey could you tell me the best way to put the decals on.
Is there some special method that you used yours turned out really great

Stole the trick from NASCAR teams. Saw it many many years ago.

Get a little spray bottle. Put in about 4 or 5 drops of dishwash detergent. Fill the bottle with water. When you are ready to apply the decals spray the body with the mixture. Peel the decal off the paper and spray the back of the decal. Now you can apply the decal and move it to the area you wish too or even pick it up if you put it in the wrong area. Next, after placing the decal where you want it, squeege out the water from the decal from the center working to the edges. Allow it to dry for about 2 hours after you are done decaling before running the body.

Hope this helps.

bda52
2005.03.18, 09:41 PM
Very very nice paint jobs on those cars, when I get a chance Iíll send them to my web guy for are web site.

Not a problem. What ever I can do to help you out with this product! Needless to say I love the CP cup cars. I only wish I was not over 5 hours away so I could come up and get my butt kicked by the regs and learn some tips too.

bda52
2005.04.08, 04:55 PM
The new 2003 Toyota F1

Upgraded with:
GPM 0deg steering knuckles chrome
GPM 0deg steering tie rod chrome
Kyosho rear shock
Kyosho ball diff
Kyosho graphite suspension plates
Kyosho red screw set (partial only on the bottom of the car for now)
Yeah Racing bearings

Blackno3
2005.04.09, 09:45 PM
Bda52 I finally got around to grabbing you CP Cup Car picís and putting them in the Racers Rides section on are web page. Iíve been very busy with the new stuff coming out and getting ready to shut down the raceway for the summer.

Your really good at painting lexan bodies, those cars look great. Can you tell me what do you use for masking tape? Thatís always been my biggest problem with two tone paint jobs the paint always bleeds threw a little. And if you have any tips on two tone paint jobs I would appreciate it.

My main problem is time. I havenít had the time to figure it out so Iíve just been doing one tone paint jobs. I turned my hobby into a business so now I donít have much time for the hobby.

bda52
2005.04.09, 10:45 PM
Bda52 I finally got around to grabbing you CP Cup Car picís and putting them in the Racers Rides section on are web page. Iíve been very busy with the new stuff coming out and getting ready to shut down the raceway for the summer.

Your really good at painting lexan bodies, those cars look great. Can you tell me what do you use for masking tape? Thatís always been my biggest problem with two tone paint jobs the paint always bleeds threw a little. And if you have any tips on two tone paint jobs I would appreciate it.

My main problem is time. I havenít had the time to figure it out so Iíve just been doing one tone paint jobs. I turned my hobby into a business so now I donít have much time for the hobby.

I would love to help you out.

On Dale's and Tony's cars those are 3 tone. I painted the red strip on Dale's instead of using the decals for the bottom of the car. Same thing on Tony's car, I painted in the white stripes, since there are no 2005 decals available as of yet.

1) I test fit the body, drill the holes for the body posts. You did a great job on the bodies but I do like the wheel wells cut out just a little bigger. When I test fit the body I also will use a sharpie on the body mask and draw how I want the wheel opening to look. I then use an xacto knife to score the body how I want it trimmed. I then flex the lexan along those score lines. In the wheel openings I use scissors to cut a triangle to the top of the opening to make the flexing of the lexan easier. With the thickness of the bodies it is really easy to do this.

2) I photocopy the decal sheet I am using. After doing that I cut out the images from the copy and tape them to the body where I will place the decals later.

3) This is my little trick I have always used painting bodies. I use auto pinstriping to divide colors. Like in the 98 car, I put the pinstripe where I wanted the white color to end. Press really hard with the back of your thumbnail along the pinstripe.

4) Always paint the darker colors first. Using the 98 again, I would then use masking tape to fill all the areas that I wanted white. Another advantage of using the pinstriping is that if you tear the masking tape too long you can always trim it with the xacto along the pinstripe.

5) Again, press with the back of your thumbnail along the masking tape and pinstripe.

6) Spray your first color. I used a Testors airbrush from Wal-mart. The kind that uses propellent. I forgot I still have a coulpe of airbrushes from years ago along with a compressor...duh. I also use Pactra lexan paints. You do not have to thin them out to use them in an airbrush.

7) After a couple of coats of paint have dried pull off the masking tape and pinstripe. It should leave you a clean line along the edge of the pinstripe if you waited long enough for the paint to dry.

8) If doing a 3 tone paint scheme, now mask off the area that will have the lightest paint. On the 3 and 20 cars I just used the pinstriping again to make the red and white lines.

9) Paint next color. and repeat step 7. If you are doing a 2 tone paint job you are done. If more colors then repeat steps as necessary.

***** If you paint silver, gold or a flourecent color use white as a final coat it to make the color really shine through.*****

10) Now pull off the overspray mask and admire how the car looks...lol Kind of looks like you are walking through one of the Winston...er...Nextel Cup shops with the car sitting waiting for decals.

11) I know I posted this before but when applying the decals you want to use a water/dishsoap mixture. Just a couple of drops of soap in a spray bottle mixed with the water. This way you can spray down the body and the back of the decal. Helps so you can move the decal around if you placed it in the wrong place or just need to move it alittle bit to get it in the right place. I only do that for the larger size decals. This also helps with being able to get any air bubbles out of the decal. Press the decal from the center out to the edges with a papertowel or washcloth to remove the water. If you do end up with an air bubble use a very pointed xacot blade to poke a little hole in the bubble. Press out the air and most of the time you cannot see the little hole.
For the inspection sticker, windshield tearoff triangles, adjustment jack circles and hood pins I just use the tip of the xacto knife to hold the decal where I want it. Also, on the decals you want to try to trim as close as possible to the edge of the number or logo as possible.

On the RCA car it was difficult to use the water/soap solution because of the lower quality of clear mylar that was used to make them. Thankfully they pulled up pretty easy to try to get them back in the correct postition.

Blackno3 if you could get me some decals with your logo, I would love to do up a body or 2 for you.

I will be doing up that truck body I got from you soon. I am just not sure which truck to do. I have decals for #1 DieHard, #17 DieHard, #75 Spears and #98 Raybestos. I think it will be the #1. I am dying to try the flourecent orange. I attached pics of the #1, #17 and #98. I could not find a pic real quick of the #75.

I will have to dig out some of my old bodies that I did for my old 1/10 and 1/12 cars. Well I never actually even ran those cars. Was too young at the time and did not have a job to get the radios for them. But did up 4 or 5 bodies for them.

bda52
2005.04.09, 10:55 PM
Ah, I forgot my final touch. To make the sunshade at the top of the windshield I use wide black pinstripe. I have not tried actual window tint as of yet but probably will in the future. I was also thinking of cutting thin strips of duct tape to put on the inside of the body like team use in early spring and late fall just for a little more realistic look. Also toying with the idea of using suran wrap (woeful spelling I am sure) to make windsheld tear-offs.

I also recently picked this up off of ebay. It is only painted for the pic, the one I got was clear. It fits really well inside the bodies!!! When I get it painted up and placed in the car I will post a couple of pics.

Blackno3
2005.04.11, 05:16 PM
Bd52 Wow I thought you would have just told me what you are using for masking tape. But instead you gave the best and most complete directions for doing a lexan body that Iíve ever read. Thanks

Do you mind if I use post 15 and 16 for directions for doing a lexan bodies on are web page. Or even better yet can you rewrite the post in to standard directions for are web page. I mite screw them up a little if I do it. We would give you full credit for them on are web page.

bda52
2005.04.11, 06:01 PM
I would love to do that for you. I will write it up in an e-mail to you. Try to clean it up a bit and try to take out as many of the "I's" as possible.

Blackno3
2005.04.11, 08:01 PM
That sounds great. Those directions are great accept for the ďIísĒ I know you wrote them for me. It shouldnít much to clean them up for the web page.

bda52
2005.04.11, 10:19 PM
I should be able to get you something before the end of Wednesday. Time to break out my old skills. I did go to school for Journalism and Communications for a little while just never hung around to finish :( had to get a full time job to pay bills. Maybe someday I will go back to finish.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.04.12, 06:41 PM
i always get bleeding...am I using the wrong tape?

bda52
2005.04.12, 11:31 PM
i always get bleeding...am I using the wrong tape?

ruknd, did you use and airbrush or spray can? From my experiances with spray cans it seems to be 1 coat from a spray can = 3 coats from an airbrush

With these CP Cup bodies I used cheap pinstripe tape from Advance Auto Parts. I would suggest picking up the more expensive stuff, it is only a buck or two more. The cheap pinstripe has a some strands that stick out the side of the stripe. Kind of like little hairs. I will try to get a closer pic of the front hood of the RCA car to show it.

I also picked up there wide and narrow masking tape from the paint section. This was the first time that I did not use 3M products. I do prefer 3M masking tape because it is thicker and tends not to allow bleeding through.

To help with cleaning up a bleeding problem there is 2 options I use. First off after removing the mask and finding the bleeded area I swear. Don't we all.

If the bleed is thin more like overspray, I dip a Qtip in thinner then clean off the excess from it. Then lightly wipe the area that should have still been clear with it. Next wipe the area clean with a paper towel.

If the bleed is thick, kind of as if the masking tape had a fold in it and the paint ran in that area, I knock off the thickness with an Xacto blade tip. Just be gentile and do not gouge(sp?) the lexan. Then when down to just an over spray type of look then do the Qtip part.

The hardest part of these 1/24 is always the rear bumper area, that turn from the side panel going to the TV panel. That is why I use the pin stripe as an edge. You can strech it out a little bit. It also leaves a clean edge if you use the better stuff.