PDA

View Full Version : Lane Widths??

Zrc
2005.03.30, 07:44 AM
Hi All,
Just wondering....why do we in the US seem to prefer or suggest that lane widths be in the 3ft neighborhood when in many of the European pics their lanes are closer to 2ft. Many of us have drooled over the tracks in Sweden and I haven't yet seen any of them with 3 ft (or wider) lanes.

Q ball
2005.03.30, 09:07 AM
Good point... I wonder if in their races, their cars stay within the painted lane. On US tracks, especially RCP, the width of the lane has walls on each side of the lane. The tracks in Europe seem to be painted with space on either side of the lane you can run on without hitting anything.

So if they are running on the green painted area while racing, then the lane width is actually wider. If they're staying on the "track" part, then they are indeed running on a narrower track.

Hopefully they'll give us some insight on this.

davkin
2005.03.30, 07:58 PM
Our club currently runs on a track with 22" lanes. The smaller lanes are nice for maximising space, but get very crowded with more than 4 cars on the track. Our track is modular so we don't have any runoff like the permanent tracks do, so my track is lined with stryrene strips glued to the foam barriers so you bounce off the barriers rather than gut stuck on them, and one a 22" track you WILL bounce off the barriers a few times no matter how good a driver you are. I would rather have 3' lanes but I don't have the space for a real interesting track with 3' lanes, the main thing that's kept me from buying an RCP setup.

David

DogbreathRacing
2005.03.30, 08:15 PM
The Monster Garage Crew runs Foam mats with lanes ranging from 24 inch to 48 inch in the same track.....the narrower widths are a hand full to drive with more than 3 or 4 cars....and yes, if you hit one rail you are sure to hit another, and another

Dustin
2005.03.30, 11:26 PM
How wide are the lanes on the RCP Wide L.

bda52
2005.03.31, 12:02 AM
I know each tile is 50cm square. I have not measured how wide the rails are. So 2 tiles wide of course are 100cm less the rails. I would guess the rails are about 5 to 7cm wide.

In inches it is 19.5 inches per square. Rail about 2 inches. Racing surface between rails would be about 35.1 inches.

The Mini 96 are 30cm (11.7 in). I have no clue how wide the rail is on that track set. Guess would be race surface would be about 21 inches wide.

davkin
2005.03.31, 08:26 AM
I believe RCP's are advertised as having 33" width lanes, the mini tiles are advertised at just under 19" IIRC. I beleive the mini tiles use the same barrier system as the larger tiles.

David

bda52
2005.03.31, 08:31 AM
I was close. I used http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm to convert the measurements.

Calgary_Racer
2005.03.31, 12:57 PM
Here you can see a few video clips of a Swedish track, in the following page under Filmer:
http://www.cargel.se/media.htm

I think, as someone pointed out, having no walls right on each side of the lane helps. The other trick appears to be to have smooth turns instead of all 90 / 180 degrees sharp turns as in the mat tracks most of you might be familiar with.

Please have a look at the videos and make your comments.

bda52
2005.03.31, 01:44 PM
Good point... I wonder if in their races, their cars stay within the painted lane. On US tracks, especially RCP, the width of the lane has walls on each side of the lane. The tracks in Europe seem to be painted with space on either side of the lane you can run on without hitting anything.

So if they are running on the green painted area while racing, then the lane width is actually wider. If they're staying on the "track" part, then they are indeed running on a narrower track.

Hopefully they'll give us some insight on this.

Seems like they are using more than 3 feet for lanes. Yes the painted area is narrower than 3 feet, looks like max 2 feet to me. Checking out the videos from the link Calgary_Racer posted you can see where the cars are going off the painted surface onto the astroturf/green felt sides. In the 3rd video link, I will give you the driver has alot of talent, if you notice as the car goes off the screen the angle it is heading is taking him of course a couple of times. You just do not see the result since the camera does not pan to see it.

That is one high class set up. I love that course and just wish I had that type of room to make one. Looks like it takes up the amount of room that 3 wide L's would need and I do not have room for more than a wide oval. I would still have to build Indy(with GP infield also), Daytona(with high banks and 24hr infield) or Watkins Glen.

Side note, is it just me or does the counter at the "Shoppen" remind you of a counter at a bowling alley?