PDA

View Full Version : PTI MMT (Goliath)

davkin
2005.04.09, 05:17 PM
I received a PT MMT, also a week ago and after much turmoil, trimmimg, fitting, drilling and having to raid my parts bins, (to replace hardware and links missing from the packages) I got the thing together and have just got to playing with it a bit. Here's a pic;

Goliath (http://www.dsao.homestead.com/files/pics/ptimmt-4.jpg)

David

Ninja
2005.04.09, 06:26 PM
:eek: what, where, and how much?

mini-z racing
2005.04.09, 06:41 PM
Who makes that?

davkin
2005.04.09, 11:51 PM
what, where, and how much?

Who makes that?

It's marketed as a 1/18 scale monster truck, but I'd say it's a bit larger than 1/18, like the TLT. Very hard to get right now, virtually nobody has one in stock, in fact most places weren't even able to fill the pre orders they had. I was lucky to get one off of ebay, especially since I lost the bidding, but either the auction winner flaked out or the seller had a second one, he made me a 2nd chance offer. I spent $220 with shipping and tax, (seller was a hobby shop in the same state). They typically are listed at $229 by retailers. These are kits that require major work to assemble, definately not for an R/C noob. The only electronics included is a 550 motor.

They are made by PTI, (Performance Technology Inc.). They are more known for their 1/18 and 1/10 bodies. This is their first kit and they are a very small company so there are significant teething pains. The truck is a good performer out of the box, definately a far cry better than the TLT.

Here's the website;

http://www.ptiracing.net/carkits.htm

David

akura2
2005.04.10, 11:40 AM
I received a PT MMT, also a week ago and after much turmoil, trimmimg, fitting, drilling and having to raid my parts bins, (to replace hardware and links missing from the packages) I got the thing together and have just got to playing with it a bit. Here's a pic;

Goliath (http://www.dsao.homestead.com/files/pics/ptimmt-4.jpg)

David

That's funny... "David" has his "Goliath"

looks great... I hope you enjoy it... I saw it well before production... and I also saw it at HobbyVisions in the 3rd quarter of 2004 after it was completed but still a few months away from retail...and i must say.. if you can get a hold of one... they are great trucks especially if you are into crawling...though they ARE capable of speed as well... theye make the TLT look like a pot-bellied pig....

Have fun... that's what this hobby's all about

cam2
2005.04.10, 11:43 AM
davkin do you think a 1/10 body will fit well on the goliath for a more scale look?

davkin
2005.04.10, 12:56 PM
That's funny... "David" has his "Goliath

:D Maybe that's why I'm not too crazy about the name they picked for the truck. I hadn't thought of that. What's even worse is my last name is King, so you know people get a chuck out of reading my name off databases that use the last name first.

though they ARE capable of speed as well... theye make the TLT look like a pot-bellied pig....

So true. I have a TLT as well that I upscaled to 1/10. The TLT's aren't worth sh## without major modifications. My PTI is stone stock and will give my heavily modded TLT a run for it's money even thought the PTI is a much smaller truck than my TLT is now. I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go with my PTI now. I wanted to start stock just to see what it could do, and in stock form it's a bit of a compromise between a basher and a crawler. I think I'll be leaving it stock for a couple weeks or so anyways. Gotta get it out in the dirt and see what it really can do. I do need a stiffer servo saver, so that will get upgraded at least.

do you think a 1/10 body will fit well on the goliath for a more scale look?

No. The MMT has a much shorter wheelbase than any 1/10 scale truck. The PTI has the same wheel base as the Tamiya Mini Cooper chassis, so any body made for that would have the right wheelbase, but there are no truck bodies available for that chassis. PTI calls the Goliath 1/18 scale, that may be true of the body, but like the TLT the chassis is more 1/16 scale or bigger and the wheels and tires are even bigger than the TLT's. So, like the TLT the chassis seems a bit big for the body, however the PTI truck has a much better chassis design so it doesn't have the "pot bellied Pig" look of the TLT as Akura puts it. :D

David

TNB
2005.04.10, 01:03 PM
I hope you enjoy it... I saw it well before production... and I also saw it at HobbyVisions in the 3rd quarter of 2004 after it was completed
I saw it at both HobbyVisions 2003 and 2004. I posted photos of it long ago at 1/18th. NetZone also has one of the "boxes" for it and of course, it is my understanding that one of the Mini-Z racers works for PTI. Myself, I would have purchased one in 2003, but as time passes the more I doubt that I will purchase one simply because of all the delays and parts availability. Besides, I just picked up the Kyosho Mini-Inferno. :)

davkin
2005.04.10, 10:40 PM
Well TNB, your R/C collection is so huge it just can't be complete without a PTI MMT, it's that special. :D Be warned though, it takes major effort to build it, definately not a kit for an R/C newbie.

David

TNB
2005.04.11, 01:27 AM
I have a few kits, i.e. 1/8th scale Mugen mbX5, 1/10th scale Tamiya F1, 1/12th scale Yokomo YRX-12WE, 1/18th scale Xray M18, and a few others that have been torn apart, modified, and rebuilt including the new Kyosho Mini-Inferno.

joseph
2005.04.11, 07:10 AM
Yea tnb and me joe have a few rc,s that need to be put together so that
:rolleyes: really no big deal

akura2
2005.04.11, 12:10 PM
I'm in the same boat... I have over 45+ RC vehicles.... 28 of them are 1/18 or larger and they include two motorcycles, three Helis, three planes and a tank...

But I know the guys over at PTI pretty well, so I think I might splurge and make this my last...

Xray and GS still have their trucks on the horizon though... but they'd beter hurry before people run out of money

TNB
2005.04.11, 12:34 PM
But I know the guys over at PTI pretty well, so I think I might splurge and make this my last...
Tell Rudy hello for me and that I'm sorry he couldn't make the Rialto race. I might have "impulse" purchased the Goliath in Rialto if they would have had something besides just the box, but I'm not going out of my way to get another kit especially since I still have the ABC DTMx4 sitting around in the box and have a few parts I need to fix on my M18. After all, I just turned the Kyosho Mini-Inferno into a brushless speed demon last night.