PDA

View Full Version : Core (crs) Lap Timer/Counter Reviews?

briankstan
2005.05.22, 02:40 AM
Now that Core has released the lap timing system at the rcx show this weekend, can the people that have been testing it please write a review? also I have already ordered it, so some tricks and tips would be great too.

Thanks
Brian

arch2b
2005.05.22, 11:03 AM
as soon as i hear it's ok from core i'll be happy to. not until then though....

TTT
2005.05.22, 11:22 PM
Hi All

This is what a lot of people have been waiting quite a while for, a quick report on the system from someone who has splashed their own cash for a system.

Now I am in no way connected to the people from Core Speedway or any of the beta test sites.

Core explained to me was that they were having a red tape issue with selling the software in the USA. But they were able to ship to a customer internationally a few weeks early.

So off went the payment for a system and a handful of big and small transponders.

What I received was fairly uninspiring, a small box with a loop of wire sticking out one end and a USB connection on the other, a USB cable, instructions and the transponders. Someone walked past had a glance and said you paid HOW MUCH for that?

The transponders were a lot thinner than I expected. I thought credit-card thickness but if you can imagine two pieces is tape stuck together that is about their thickness. They almost seem a bit flimsy. Hold them up the light and you can see the antenna loop and the I.C through them.

The box, well you can see on the website is nothing too special, the wire is fairly thick we measured it to be about 3mm diameter. For RCP track this should not pose a problem. But our club uses a synthetic canvas (or tarp) for a track surface and a 3mm hump under it does cause a problem. The instructions are very clear on the size of the loop, it has to be 12 inches(30cm) wide as it goes across the track. So we found a bit of 3mm plastic sheet and cut it out to the size and taped the wire around the edge of it, the sheet extended out and has the box attached to it as well. So it was all in one piece and very well protected from being stood on and kicked. We then put a couple of extra layers of the tarp material over the sensor for lead on and off and then put the canvas over that. We run a lot of F1’s at the club and they track over this without a problem.

Had a bit of trouble with the software but this was just an install file not having all the correct USB drivers, I am sure this was only a hiccup which will be well sorted by now.

So with the correct drivers the sensor installation is very simple. Then running the software the control screen pops up. Throw a transponder onto the loop and you scan it, the software finds it and inserts the driver into the system. You can then edit the drivers information, one tip make sure you work you way down through all the selections until you have picture down the bottom of the driver setup screen otherwise it will not save the information to the transponder. Assuming you have done this you click save and it writes all the information back to the transponder.

Of course all you want to do is get out there and race!! So quickly load up the other racers and you are ready to race.
You configure the race for either time or number of laps. By this stage all you want to do is get out and race. So you click on race and you get a countdown and you are off. As each car crosses you get a reassuring beep to confirm that your car has counted.

Operationally we have not seen it miss a lap on a correctly positioned ransponder.

One of our racers has a Jordan F1 whose front wing spare doesn’t lend itself to the position Core has shown in their photos. He went off and tried putting under the body wrapped around where the steering servo is needless to say he had problems. Once we got it flat and low again, no worries. The large transducers was just thrown up under the body of the sedans and worked flawlessly. Only other missed laps were because of a minimum lap time set a bit high.

During a race the software has a picture and the racers name their laps and their lag the race order is how they are arranged on the screen.

Once the race is finished you can look at the data a few ways, we find the html pages that is generated for each race really interesting. We email them to racers after the meeting for their own post meeting viewing.

Our club doesn’t have a lot of spare time when we are racing so we haven’t had time yet to explore the deeper working of the race managing part of the software so I can’t comment on that part yet.

But to answer those people out there thinking of splashing the cash, Yep, it is worth it.
Good reliable operation, great data, no more trying to keep track of who was where in a race. Just put your head down and race. Haven’t included any photos because all there is to see is on Core’s website.

It just works well, no mucking around, very happy customer. Hopefully there will be a flood of other people with more detailed analysis of its operation. But for the average racer or a small club like ours you probably won’t get any deeper into the workings of the software than this for the first few weeks, you just want get out and race and Core has made it possible at an affordable level. I think the only ones who wouldn’t be smiling about this system would be their competitors.

Hope this answers a few questions for people

Cheers

Terry

arch2b
2005.05.22, 11:35 PM
very nice description.

you are very correct in that if your expecting the price to correspond somehow th the size of the equipment than you will be unexpectedly shocked. i've seen ambit setups etc, and i am very happy core's are so small. it makes workign them very easy.

i too am more of the home user and find the ease of use and such user friendly software and hardware a real relief. it really is great.

there are some lhs's that were testing the system as well and i'm sure they will be happy to provide testimonials as i would when we are released to do so. for now i can confirm much of what ttt has said and expressed.

regarding the box being unispring... i'd rather it be simply and discrete than something flashy. it is what it is and it does it's job very well. infact, the only thing you see of my setup is the usb cord to the computer. ;)

briankstan
2005.05.23, 01:41 AM
thanks for the great review TTT, I'm really looking forward to receiving my system this week, hopefully we will be able to use it at our race on thursday night.

To everyone else keep the reviews comming.

I'll post mine when I have used it for a little while and learn a little more about it's operation.

Thanks again.

Brian.

briankstan
2005.05.25, 01:54 PM
did anyone check out core's system at the rcx show? have any thoughts on it, or a quick review?

TNB
2005.05.25, 02:26 PM
I "sort of" checked out Core at RCX, but I'd already ran in a race using the Core system at Rialto so it was more of a BS session. I will write that as far as I know, there were no problems with the timing software at the Rialto race and that was a big improvement over the Palmdale race which didn't use Core and resorted to hand counting by the time the last A Main was ran.

I'll post a few photos of the Core booth later. The magazine people were also there so there should be a review in a couple of months or so.

machine
2005.05.31, 11:10 PM
anyone know when they will be answering website questions or have units to buy??? I've emailed them a few times without an answer. Man i'm getting desperate for a system!!!:(

herman
2005.06.01, 04:16 AM
good on ya mate!... great review.... :D

how many cars were testing the system out? can you post some pics of your track?

just curious... how much did you spend on the system? and how much did shipping cost all the way to australia???

almost neighbors... so thinking it might cost almost the same... thanks for any info...

TTT
2005.06.01, 06:16 PM
good on ya mate!... great review.... :D

how many cars were testing the system out? can you post some pics of your track?

just curious... how much did you spend on the system? and how much did shipping cost all the way to australia???

almost neighbors... so thinking it might cost almost the same... thanks for any info...

Hi

we run about 8-9 cars on the track at any one time, can take photos we only race on Wednesdays so will be next week.. but as for the look of the system, as arch2b said "when setup all you see is a USB cord going to the edge of the track."

I bought the Pro system and 12 small and 6 large transponders

I actually have the system sent to a friend in the US who had other stuff to send to me.

Ball park figure around a $1150 Aussie dollars

But I would think freight by itself would be no more than 20-30USD because there is bugger all weight in it just a bit bulky because the wire has a minimum bend radius of about 20-25cm

If you are anyway serious about your racing this system is a must have...

Again the only time we have seen it miss a lap is through wrong settings, when we got too close to the minimum lap time.

hope this helps

cheers

Terry

herman
2005.06.02, 12:44 AM
thanks again... :D

machine
2005.06.06, 11:03 AM
anyone know whos distributing the core systems??

briankstan
2005.08.25, 08:25 AM
My initial impression

I received My timing system yesterday and spent the whole night getting it set up and testing out the different features.

I don't have the time to post a whole in-depth review yet, expect that by this weekend.

I can say that I'm really impressed with it and it works flawlessly, we had to have run 500 laps last night and didn't miss one. (once we set the minimun lap time correctly :) )

Is it worth the money? ABSOLUTLY

Salt Lake Mini-z will be running our first race today using the system and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll post some picture and maybe some video with my review this weekend.

Brian

ct-mini
2005.08.26, 10:30 AM
My initial impression

I received My timing system yesterday and spent the whole night getting it set up and testing out the different features.

I don't have the time to post a whole in-depth review yet, expect that by this weekend.

I can say that I'm really impressed with it and it works flawlessly, we had to have run 500 laps last night and didn't miss one. (once we set the minimun lap time correctly :) )

Is it worth the money? ABSOLUTLY

Salt Lake Mini-z will be running our first race today using the system and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll post some picture and maybe some video with my review this weekend.

Brian

That's great news... Keep us updated... I've not heard anything about this for months, thought they died out, haha... Where can I get a hold of one..?

Zrc
2005.08.26, 05:38 PM
Just paid for mine !! Thanks Brian and all you guys who beta tested the system. I'm looking forward to providing some quality racing down here. If anybody's ever in the neighborhood.........stop on by !!!

arch2b
2005.08.27, 03:29 PM
how did your day of racing go? do you have pictures?

i am interested to see how the production units differ, if at all, from the beta units.

briankstan
2005.08.27, 05:46 PM
how did your day of racing go? do you have pictures?

i am interested to see how the production units differ, if at all, from the beta units.

Our race went off with out a hitch. It took a little time to get the computer set up. I had to buy a usb extension to move the laptop out of the way. I bet most everyone will have to invest in one. I got the 10 ft. one.

Once everything was set up, it was just racing, not having to count your laps is awesome.

One problem that I did have is: on my widescreen laptop the bottom of the screen was cut off. I emailed core and the told me how to adjust it. They have been great at getting back to me with the help that I needed. (thanks Core)

As far as the product goes it looks just like the pics that I saw in your gallery. I don't think the hardware changed at all. I am also using the beta software that I'm sure you are using. They told me they are still adding more features to the software, so look for some updates comming sometime.

I kinda spaced taking pictures at the race, I was busy with getting everyone set up and recording their sound clips and all of that. I'll get some and get them posted.

Brian

davkin
2005.08.28, 03:12 AM
I wouldn't say without a hitch Brian. I beleive the glitching Luke and I suffered was due to the transponders. My Chaparral body was very tight and so there was no good place to put the transponder where it wouldn't cover part of the antenna, and it also interfered with my suspension. I don't know why Luke glitched while the other Enzo's didn't though. I'm working on a new body that will give me much more clearance, so hopefully that will fix the issue.

David

arch2b
2005.08.28, 10:48 AM
you should be able to place the transponder under the hood as close to the nose as possible and it rarely hits teh antenna on just about all the bodies. i have yet to see anyone have glitching as a result of the transponders. even at the pa races with 25 plus people, there were no problems seen or reported.

i have read that certain front alloy parts may cause interference with the accuracy of response withe the transponder but that had nothing to do with glitching.

how do you have the antenna loop installed under the track? is it on anything or just on the ground? core told us that it should not be placed directly on concrete or similar surfaces. maybe rebar/wire mesh casues problems?

where did you put the transponder? you really want it as close to the front as possible. if you ever have a close finish, the one with it farthest forward will win regardless of who actually crosses the line first

Zrc
2005.08.28, 02:31 PM
Has anyone tried cutting a groove into the RCP panel(s) for the timing loop ?? You could cover the rather thin groove with cloth tape and you'd barely know it was there. No interference from anything underground, the loop would be protected by the RCP and it would be that much closer to the cars. Just an idea.

arch2b
2005.08.28, 03:11 PM
i was thinking of cutting a troff for the loop in the bottom of the tile..... the tiles are farily thick so you could go deep enough to embed the loop fairly well.

there was rumour that rcp could make something like 1/8" thich mats/tiles to use as a base to lay under the loop which is under the track. right now i have always had my loop over 2 blank tiles under the track and if your going full speed over the loop the bump can cause you to swerve a fraction if your not careful or attentive. grooving the underneath of the tile and using a very thin mat would be what i would like to use. i hope core and rcp could jump in and let us know if that's possible?

briankstan
2005.08.28, 03:39 PM
you should be able to place the transponder under the hood as close to the nose as possible and it rarely hits teh antenna on just about all the bodies. i have yet to see anyone have glitching as a result of the transponders. even at the pa races with 25 plus people, there were no problems seen or reported.

i have read that certain front alloy parts may cause interference with the accuracy of response withe the transponder but that had nothing to do with glitching.

how do you have the antenna loop installed under the track? is it on anything or just on the ground? core told us that it should not be placed directly on concrete or similar surfaces. maybe rebar/wire mesh casues problems?

where did you put the transponder? you really want it as close to the front as possible. if you ever have a close finish, the one with it farthest forward will win regardless of who actually crosses the line first

Well, we didn't have any problems with missed laps, and as far as the glitching goes Luke said his was glitching even on the oppisite side of the track, 15ft. away from the loop. I doubt that is was related to the timing system, maybe the transponder? I didn't have any glitching and I know kelly and Chad did not.

briankstan
2005.08.28, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't say without a hitch Brian. I beleive the glitching Luke and I suffered was due to the transponders. My Chaparral body was very tight and so there was no good place to put the transponder where it wouldn't cover part of the antenna, and it also interfered with my suspension. I don't know why Luke glitched while the other Enzo's didn't though. I'm working on a new body that will give me much more clearance, so hopefully that will fix the issue.

David

I forgot to ask you about the paint that you are using? it says in the core manual that if you use matalic paint it can interfer with the signal.

davkin
2005.08.28, 04:10 PM
I forgot to ask you about the paint that you are using? it says in the core manual that if you use matalic paint it can interfer with the signal.

I beleive that would be the transponder signal they are talking about, not the car radio signal since the antenna reaches outside the body, metallic paint shouldn't intefere with that. Also, most of my transponder was visible through that opening in the back, I don't beleive any of my laps were missed, but can't really be sure of that either. If you still have the log from the race saved look it over. I had only one lap that should be extra long since I had to take my car off and straighten the body, but even that took only a couple seconds. So, if I have any lap times near 20 seconds that means it missed counting a lap.

David

arch2b
2005.08.28, 05:08 PM
i am very skeptical about the transponder causing your car to glitch. i have not heard from any of the other beta testers report this in all the time it was used nor have i or anyone i know had that problem at my track or teh pa races we held. i have read about certain parts and placement cause signal strength issues with reception by the loop. although i was not there and i do not know how you had it installed.

briankstan
2005.08.29, 03:13 AM
He is my review of the Core timing system, as pomised. :)

Salt Lake Mini-Z Reviews Core Timing System (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Core_Review.html)

Any feedback is welcome.

Brian

briankstan
2005.08.30, 03:25 PM
has anyone else received thier system? Do you have any opinions on it? helpful tips that you would like to share with everyone else?

gasman1
2005.08.30, 05:28 PM
has anyone else received thier system? Do you have any opinions on it? helpful tips that you would like to share with everyone else?

still waiting for delivery

Zrc
2005.08.30, 07:58 PM
Brian, great review !! Haven't received my system yet. E-mailed Core about delivery date but no answer yet.

arch2b
2005.08.30, 08:17 PM
nice write up!

check out the race format thread i started.... any additional comments regarding that is welcome as well.

baldrick
2005.08.30, 09:46 PM
Core said that they would ship my system on 22nd August, but it's not here yet! The system was pre-ordered and paid for in May. I hope they get their act together in respect of customer support, so far they've been pretty poor. How difficult would it have been to send a status email to their pre-order customers every couple of weeks! I hope their website will provide support and updates, it looks good but the content is poor.

I find out more about the system by following posts by Brian and Arch2b. Thanks for your efforts guys!

Keith...

Dusty Weasle
2005.08.30, 11:42 PM
Paid on Aug 23rd. Received five words: “Will ship out by Friday”. :confused: For that much money I’d sure like a tracking number, or to even know what carrier they are sending it through. I hope it has to be signed for and not just plunked down at my front door. (I’ve had computer equipment dropped off that way, dangerous).

But, as long as it gets here in time for my vacation I’ll be happy. Sounds like the after delivery service is great.

briankstan
2005.08.31, 12:52 AM
Core said that they would ship my system on 22nd August, but it's not here yet! The system was pre-ordered and paid for in May. I hope they get their act together in respect of customer support, so far they've been pretty poor. How difficult would it have been to send a status email to their pre-order customers every couple of weeks! I hope their website will provide support and updates, it looks good but the content is poor.

I find out more about the system by following posts by Brian and Arch2b. Thanks for your efforts guys!

Keith...

I got the same email reply. waited a couple of days and nothing. I then emailed core again, I got the system that same day.

I would be willing to be that is will be any day, and there support has been great for me, they have answered every question that I asked, and even email me to make sure I got everything set up and working.

you won't be disapointed, trust me.

Brian

gasman1
2005.08.31, 07:41 AM
i just got an email Monday saying that all remaining systems would go out this week. However, I received an email saying it was to be shipped last week. They are very slow responding to emails. I hope this isn't any indication of how tech support will be after delivery. I too have requested a tracking number and delivery method from them with no response other than it was definitely going out this week.

More to come.

baldrick
2005.08.31, 07:43 AM
This is the reply I got from Core today!

"We had to upload new firmware to the units (we had to take them apart to do this) which caused the delay. I believe your unit will ship tomorrow. It will go out US priority mail with a delivery confirmation number. If you want it shipped FedEx or UPS, just let us know... However, it's an extra $15 for shipping FedEx or UPS."

Is there a way to check the firmware version with the software provided? It's a pity that the unit has to be taken apart to update the firmware, that means any firmware updates in the future will require shipping the unit back to Core.

From Brian's first impressions, it looks like the system is great. I'm just disappointed that Core has told me "Your unit will ship Monday following RXC, then 2 weeks, then within 2 weeks, then Monday 22nd Aug and now - I believe tomorrow" I guess it will arrive eventually, I've patiently waited all this time and I am not going to pay another $15 for FedEx!!!

Keith...

baldrick
2005.09.02, 04:05 PM
Just an update.

My Core system arrived today :-)

Eagerly waiting for them to e-mail the link to get the software and then we'll be good-to-go!

Keith.

Zrc
2005.09.08, 10:19 PM
TA DA !!! The Core system arrived today. I haven't opened the box yet but can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to contact them regarding the software download or will they just contact me ??? Thanks

baldrick
2005.09.08, 10:52 PM
I emailed Core as soon as my system arrived and got a reply later the same day with a link to the software download.

The system works really well

Keith...

machine
2005.09.09, 01:38 AM
Lucky guys you all are, i'm having issues in the email department still. They won't ship to Canada!!! Anyone wanna sell me a system...

gasman1
2005.09.09, 09:12 AM
MY system arrived yesterday in the mail. I downloaded the software this morning. Will be testing soon. Finally, no more counting laps!!!!

Dusty Weasle
2005.09.10, 02:26 AM
Hooray! It’s here! Now I need a laptop!...

Then we can run more than 10 laps at a time! Astonishing how hard it is to count to ten while navigating track and traffic.

gasman1
2005.09.10, 07:25 AM
Our race went off with out a hitch. It took a little time to get the computer set up. I had to buy a usb extension to move the laptop out of the way. I bet most everyone will have to invest in one. I got the 10 ft. one.

Once everything was set up, it was just racing, not having to count your laps is awesome.

One problem that I did have is: on my widescreen laptop the bottom of the screen was cut off. I emailed core and the told me how to adjust it. They have been great at getting back to me with the help that I needed. (thanks Core)

As far as the product goes it looks just like the pics that I saw in your gallery. I don't think the hardware changed at all. I am also using the beta software that I'm sure you are using. They told me they are still adding more features to the software, so look for some updates comming sometime.

I kinda spaced taking pictures at the race, I was busy with getting everyone set up and recording their sound clips and all of that. I'll get some and get them posted.

Brian

The bottom of my screen is getting cut off when displaying the graghs but I'm using it on my PC 19" monitor. How did they tell you to fix it? It would be nice to have a vertical slide bar if the program display size is larger than the monitor size.

The other thing is the system didn't read any of my F1 transponders either in the car or lying on the track. It recognized all the larger ones with no problems. I emailed Core about this. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I ran my first timed laps last night and the system worked great! It counted all the laps perfectly. Very nice system. I going to need more time to get acquainted with the software. I'd like to add personal photos of our cars and be able to add to the frequency lists if possible. Any help on this would be appreciated.

briankstan
2005.09.10, 08:57 AM
The bottom of my screen is getting cut off when displaying the graghs but I'm using it on my PC 19" monitor. How did they tell you to fix it? It would be nice to have a vertical slide bar if the program display size is larger than the monitor size.

The other thing is the system didn't read any of my F1 transponders either in the car or lying on the track. It recognized all the larger ones with no problems. I emailed Core about this. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I ran my first timed laps last night and the system worked great! It counted all the laps perfectly. Very nice system. I going to need more time to get acquainted with the software. I'd like to add personal photos of our cars and be able to add to the frequency lists if possible. Any help on this would be appreciated.

All the information that you need is here in my review. you will need to add a few line to the .themerc file. read this review and let me know if you need any other information.

Salt Lake Mini-Z Reviews Core Timing System (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Core_Review.html)

Brian

gasman1
2005.09.10, 09:41 AM
I found your review after I posted. It is very helpful. I'm sure that I will have more questions later.

By the way, have you used any of the small F1 transponders? And did the system recognize them? I'm having problems with them

briankstan
2005.09.10, 10:08 AM
I found your review after I posted. It is very helpful. I'm sure that I will have more questions later.

By the way, have you used any of the small F1 transponders? And did the system recognize them? I'm having problems with them

Sorry, no. I don't own any F1 cars. I do have a couple of the medium ones and they worked fine.

Feel free to ask me anything, I'm happy to help.

Brian

arch2b
2005.09.10, 10:39 AM

the smaller the transponder, teh closer to the track level they have to be. tha small ones are typically placed on the bottom of f1's and smaller cars so there is very little gap between the antenna and transponder.

for the medium, you should be able to get the car 4-6 inches above the track and stay above 90% signal strength. there was directions i think for sizing the antenna loop to adjust the strength

gasman1
2005.09.10, 02:57 PM
the smaller the transponder, teh closer to the track level they have to be. tha small ones are typically placed on the bottom of f1's and smaller cars so there is very little gap between the antenna and transponder.

for the medium, you should be able to get the car 4-6 inches above the track and stay above 90% signal strength. there was directions i think for sizing the antenna loop to adjust the strength

I initially had it mounted under the front wing but when the unit didn't pick it up I just laid it on the track over the loop and it still didn't pick it up. I don't know whats wrong. None of the ones I received registered on the system

gasman1
2005.09.11, 10:55 AM
I initially had it mounted under the front wing but when the unit didn't pick it up I just laid it on the track over the loop and it still didn't pick it up. I don't know whats wrong. None of the ones I received registered on the system

OK, I figured it out. the loop must be exactly as specified in the manual. I took a large piece of cardbaord and taped the loop down with a 12" distance between the two wires and reinstalled the unit. Now all th F1 transponders are being read. The first time I installed it, I just spread the wire out under the track. This worked for the large transponders but the distance between the wires was not uniform. It is now!

gasman1
2005.09.12, 09:22 AM
Our system is up and running on a laptop.

Had some problems with the system recognizing the small transponders but setting the loop up on a piece of cardboard per the manual fixed that.

Imx and I ran test heats last night and let the system sort out an A Main. That took some time to figure out how to do because the manual really doesn't explain that at all. This should really be addressed.

We also took some pics of cars that are not in the database to add in. I found the file to add to the existing frequency lists. (we're putting them all in). Overall it went pretty good. We had to force ourselves to stop. Its really cool to analyze the data afterwards. Next up will be uploading race results to our web site.

briankstan
2005.09.12, 02:04 PM
I too have added all our our personal cars into the system. it's a nice feature especially if you have a customized car.

hksdummy
2005.09.12, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know the difference between the Standard System (lap counter) and the Pro System (alp counter)??

Does the Pro System actually come with two lap counters??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

briankstan
2005.09.12, 09:12 PM
no, the pro system is capable of using 2 systems to set up speed traps, the original system doesn't support that.

gasman1
2005.09.16, 07:42 AM
Core this is for you or anyone else that might already have the answer.

When I run my system off my PC tower I have n't had any problems. However, we ran several (4-5) cars last night on a new Delll laptop and the system stopped counting in the middle of the race several time last night. I had both USB plugs plugged in. I'm thinking that when th internal fan comes on its taking power away from the USB ports.

Anyway, does anyone know if the Core unit acepts an external power supply? If so what typeThere is a round hole to the right of the USB plug on the unit and looks like it might be a power jack. If it is not, it should be.

Additionally, we are confused on using the race manage functions as the manual isn't very thorough. A tutorial would be great. We havent been able to get this to work to set up heats and mains without losing data. Do you really have to scan in the same cars before each race after the have been scanned in? I don't know, maybe I'm slow, but I have written several databases and understand that a simple user interface and clear documentation is a must.

Thanks for any help.

briankstan
2005.09.16, 10:06 AM
I run the core system on my laptop (nothing fancy) and it works great. One thing you need to do is turn off any screensavers and make sure the laptop is set to always on while you are running the timer, especially if you are running long races.

About the power supply, that is why the usb cable has 2 imput plugs on it, the red one is for additional power, if needed. I haven't needed it and I'm even using a 10' usb extension cable.

I'll let some of the more experienced users answer the races setup questions, as I'm still learning it.

Brian

CoreAnalog
2005.09.16, 11:53 AM

When I run my system off my PC tower I have n't had any problems. However, we ran several (4-5) cars last night on a new Delll laptop and the system stopped counting in the middle of the race several time last night. I had both USB plugs plugged in. I'm thinking that when th internal fan comes on its taking power away from the USB ports.

Anyway, does anyone know if the Core unit acepts an external power supply? If so what typeThere is a round hole to the right of the USB plug on the unit and looks like it might be a power jack. If it is not, it should be.

Additionally, we are confused on using the race manage functions as the manual isn't very thorough. A tutorial would be great. We havent been able to get this to work to set up heats and mains without losing data. Do you really have to scan in the same cars before each race after the have been scanned in? I don't know, maybe I'm slow, but I have written several databases and understand that a simple user interface and clear documentation is a must.

Thanks for any help.

Were you running the laptop on battery power or was it plugged in?
We never use the extra (red) USB connector even on our laptops.
Was the laptop placed on the ground? Try setting it on a crate if it is.
Was the antenna loop directly placed on the floor or on a mat?

--Core

baldrick
2005.09.16, 11:55 AM

Thanks for any help.

First try turning your screen saver off and making sure that the laptop is not set to sleep as Brian suggests.

USB needs a good 5v supply to power devices. A lot of laptops and even some desktops struggle to provide good voltage. Of course, plug more items, like a mouse etc, into the USB interface and the problem gets worse.

One solution would be to get a powered USB hub and that would eliminate the low-power issue. You say it works perfectly on you desktop, so I'm betting you have insufficient voltage on your Laptop.

I would not plug anything into the Core "Power Port" until Core confirms what it is for.

Go to Ebay and search for “USB 2.0 4 port power” and you’ll find USB HUBS. Just make sure you get USB2.0 and a POWER ADAPTOR. Some of the listings are a bit misleading. You will probably find something in CircuitCity too!

Good Luck, Keith…

gasman1
2005.09.16, 12:43 PM

--Core

The laptop was plugged into its power supply. It is a fairly new Dell
The program only loaded when we plugged in the red USB connector.
We had the laptop sitting on a plastic 5 gal bucket
The antenna loop is fastened with masking tape to a piece of cardboard which is lying on the rug on the floor

imxlr8ed
2005.09.16, 03:13 PM
Yep... ol' sparky here never let me down before... has to be a power issue. At first, we thought it was all the funky wav. files I was throwin at it causing all the problems, but reverted back to the original sounds, still cut out. I had the sleep off, did forget to shut the screensaver off though. I'm not sure that was it though... but I'm not definite, so goodbye screensaver !!! Last time it cut out on us was 3 min. into a race, my screensaver was set to 10 min. The fan did start running right when the lapcounting ceased the last time. So, a powered hub sounds good to me ! (or I can just set my laptop in a cooler full of ice so the fan won't kick on !!! ) Thanks guys !

arch2b
2005.09.16, 08:21 PM

Thanks for any help.
i started a sticky thread just for race management, please post there ;)

Dusty Weasle
2005.09.18, 05:08 AM
(My first impression after Mini-AZ’s first use of the Core CRS)

omg, Omg, OMg, OM freakin’ G! This lap counter is fantastic! We ran 20 laps, 50 laps, a half hour petite enduro, and never once crashed into a wall distracted by counting laps in our heads (though we still crashed into walls aplenty).

And then we all gathered around the cool glow of the laptop to analyze the lap data, giving meaningful feedback to our performance. This was so worth the wait.

Everything was easy. Installing the software took all of two minutes. Park a transponder over the loop, scan, test, and enter the car’s data- 5min. Punch in the desired race parameters, hit start, have the time of your life. This is how Z racing was meant to be.

We only had two issues:

When starting a car on the loop (P1 being the start line itself), that car’s first lap is incorrectly short. Workaround- Put P1 one grid back, worked perfectly after that.

The other issue was at the end of the first race we discovered no laps had been recorded for the presumed winner. A quick test scan revealed zero reception. How could this be!?! A closer look revealed that driver’s transponder sitting on the Pit table. As I told him, “well, that fast lap you ran is just a fish story now”.

The software ran without a hitch, and near as we can tell caught every lap. No glitching. No power issues. All fun. This was running on a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, 2.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 60g HD, Radeon 7500c, plugged into a wall outlet. Core powered by single USB connection, red unused.

The only thing I’d ask is the software include... crazy idea here... a manual. Something to tell me what the features are and how to navigate them. I muddled through well enough with the Trial-and-Error interface, but a guide would be nice. A Tool Tips pop-up, A Post-It note, a telepathic impression. Something!

Wish list aside this was so very worth the money, because its trouble-free operation allowed us to focus on the fun of racing. Bravo Core, bravo.

briankstan
2005.09.18, 01:38 PM
(My first impression after Mini-AZ’s first use of the Core CRS)

The only thing I’d ask is the software include... crazy idea here... a manual. Something to tell me what the features are and how to navigate them. I muddled through well enough with the Trial-and-Error interface, but a guide would be nice. A Tool Tips pop-up, A Post-It note, a telepathic impression. Something!

Wish list aside this was so very worth the money, because its trouble-free operation allowed us to focus on the fun of racing. Bravo Core, bravo.

there is somewhat of a manual under the install directory. it's a pdf file about 15 pages long.

give that a look.

Brian

gasman1
2005.09.18, 06:59 PM

--Core

I ran races Thursday night on my tower (Pentium 4 2.0 Gig 512 meg RAM) and a couple times during the night we started the race and it never started counting. I t seemed like every other race. When it did count, it counted fine.

Today at our weekly Sunday races we hooked it up to the laptop discussed earlier which is a Pentium 4 3.0 Gig with 1 gig RAM. We bought a powered USB 2.0 hub to supply sufficient power to the unit. We ran 6-8 practice heats with no problems. Then in the middle of one of the heats the unit stopped counting. We reset it and it worked again. Then we ran the mains and two times in a row it stopped counting in the middle of the race. The power saving settings were disabled and the screen saver was turned off. I'm reading about all the others running their systems with just the one USB plug but we still had to plug both plugs in for it to start. I got to say this is more thatn a little frustrating. I'm beginnig to think it could be in the unit self. Also when the lap timing stopped the last time I opened Task Manager and looked at the memory usage of the program and it was at 104,xxx KB, which when we turned the program off an back on again started at about 28,000 kb. This lap top is used extensively for hig end CADD drawings in the aircraft industry so I would think it shoul be able to handle this program easily

By the way, the instructions you posted the set up the races went well on a positive note.

Please advise. What is the warrenty on this ? It might have to be returned for testing.

Thanks

CoreAnalog
2005.09.19, 12:15 AM
I ran races Thursday night on my tower (Pentium 4 2.0 Gig 512 meg RAM) and a couple times during the night we started the race and it never started counting. I t seemed like every other race. When it did count, it counted fine.

Today at our weekly Sunday races we hooked it up to the laptop discussed earlier which is a Pentium 4 3.0 Gig with 1 gig RAM. We bought a powered USB 2.0 hub to supply sufficient power to the unit. We ran 6-8 practice heats with no problems. Then in the middle of one of the heats the unit stopped counting. We reset it and it worked again. Then we ran the mains and two times in a row it stopped counting in the middle of the race. The power saving settings were disabled and the screen saver was turned off. I'm reading about all the others running their systems with just the one USB plug but we still had to plug both plugs in for it to start. I got to say this is more thatn a little frustrating. I'm beginnig to think it could be in the unit self. Also when the lap timing stopped the last time I opened Task Manager and looked at the memory usage of the program and it was at 104,xxx KB, which when we turned the program off an back on again started at about 28,000 kb. This lap top is used extensively for hig end CADD drawings in the aircraft industry so I would think it shoul be able to handle this program easily

By the way, the instructions you posted the set up the races went well on a positive note.

Please advise. What is the warrenty on this ? It might have to be returned for testing.

Thanks

Ship the unit back to us. We'll take care of it :-)
You shouldn't be having problems like this...

--Core

gasman1
2005.09.19, 07:20 AM
Ship the unit back to us. We'll take care of it :-)
You shouldn't be having problems like this...

--Core

Thank you. will get it out today.

imxlr8ed
2005.09.19, 11:05 AM
In all fairness... Even with the issues we had, it was still a blast !!!
Thanks Core for helping out and responding so fast ! :D

gasman1
2005.09.19, 04:24 PM
Thank you. will get it out today.

The unit was Priority mailed today. Sent you an email with details. Thanks for the prompt resonse to this issue. I hope this can be resolved quickly.

Thanks

gasman1
2005.09.29, 10:14 AM
how are driver points displayed and where? how do you manage the point series?

driver rankings, I see they all start out as 6/6 when you scan the cars in and do change after the race is over. are they used for the point series? must they be changed and why?

delz4062
2006.05.03, 05:06 PM
Hi, I just purchased the core system myself and find that it is a very nice system . The only issue I am having is finding the operation manual. I was told in the directory but where is that? can you tell me where to find it?
Thanks

briankstan
2006.05.03, 05:11 PM
Hi, I just purchased the core system myself and find that it is a very nice system . The only issue I am having is finding the operation manual. I was told in the directory but where is that? can you tell me where to find it?
Thanks

C:\Program Files\CoreSpeedway\Core_manual.pdf

it's probably not as detailed as you would like. if you have any specific questions just ask and I'm sure lots of us will chime in.

arch2b
2006.05.03, 08:50 PM
you will likely find more information in this section ;) :)