PDA

View Full Version : What do I do know?

firecracker
2005.06.01, 07:53 PM
i just got my xmod its a blue 2000 honda civic coupe, and this friday me and my 2 friends are getting together and they are gonna get one and were gonna race in his garage. I was wondering what parts and where can i get them and how much they cost, im going to buy and motor upgrade probably number 2 but other then that i dont know what else i need, i hear people on the forums talking abot mini-z's is that another type of xmod and how much are they? i know i sound like a noob but i thought you guys would know the answers to my questions, thanks for the help

Hummer's Rock
2005.06.01, 08:03 PM
i just got my xmod its a blue 2000 honda civic coupe, and this friday me and my 2 friends are getting together and they are gonna get one and were gonna race in his garage. I was wondering what parts and where can i get them and how much they cost, im going to buy and motor upgrade probably number 2 but other then that i dont know what else i need, i hear people on the forums talking abot mini-z's is that another type of xmod and how much are they? i know i sound like a noob but i thought you guys would know the answers to my questions, thanks for the help

The best thing to do his take your xmod, slam it on the ground, and throw it in the trash and get a Mini-Z

firecracker
2005.06.01, 08:20 PM
where do you get a mini-z? is there any stores that carry them? and why do i want a mini-z over a xmod? and whats the price of a mini-z?

williams F1#3
2005.06.01, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the forums(lol arch :p )
Not to scare you away or anything, but you may hear people talking about mini-z's on mini-zracer.com....
anyway your an xmodder? I would recomend buying the same stuff your friends have so you have an equal playing field, but thats just me :D . Suspension, AWD on a small track will help but decrease top speed(AWD will not suspen). A stage 2 kit will increase speed of cource. bodykits light kits etc. add weight. Just practice driving with the setup that you have and fool around with suspen. and pinions till you have a good setup.

As for mini-z's no they are not another form of xmods. the are made by kyosho and are more of a hobby grade R/C, whereas xmods are more like toys. There great to learn off of but are not consisderd "real" r/c cars. they cost about $80-$150 (with better quality comes a higher price). Do a search. you will get lots more info. And theres a shop some where on this site../l\
l
l
(Edit AHHH that never works lol)

techno
2005.06.01, 08:22 PM
The best thing to do his take your xmod, slam it on the ground, and throw it in the trash and get a Mini-Z
thats just plain rude! :eek:
the place to get hop ups the easiest way to go to radio shack

the mini-z is one of the best small scale racers out there if you really want to blow the doors off a x-mod get a mini-z the x-mod can be modified to run better but this is not the forum for those try tinyRC they have a spot for them

firecracker
2005.06.01, 08:26 PM
so where could i get a mini-z in the future? is there a website that sells them?

williams F1#3
2005.06.01, 08:26 PM
That s2k look sweet techno

techno
2005.06.01, 08:29 PM
so where could i get a mini-z in the future? is there a website that sells them?
right here

Hummer's Rock
2005.06.01, 08:33 PM
thats just plain rude! :eek:
the place to get hop ups the easiest way to go to radio shack

the mini-z is one of the best small scale racers out there if you really want to blow the doors off a x-mod get a mini-z the x-mod can be modified to run better but this is not the forum for those try tinyRC they have a spot for them
its true, if you dont belive me, i was once a little xmodder, but i grew up, i was smart and got a mini-z

Ibrake Ifry
2005.06.01, 08:49 PM
Xmods are definately the way to get into 1/28th scale rc cars because they are cheap...but if you want precision and real performance get a mini z...yes they are like 2-3 times the price of a xmod but so worth it. They will blow away an upgraded xmod out of the box! make sure you check out www.tinyrc.com as they have an excellent xmods forum. Mini-zs are sold on e-b-a-y and the store right here!

firecracker
2005.06.01, 09:30 PM
ok since i havent really gotten my xmod yet, i was getting it tomorrow but since im new to the rc world, well i have had various ones through my life but not alot, do you think i should get a xmod to start out with? Then if i like it enough get a mini-z? i wouldnt upgrade my xmod i would just use it as a starter car, are the controllers for the mini-z's the same as the xmods? and is there the same upgrade parts for the mini-z's are there more? and are they more expensive?

bda52
2005.06.01, 09:45 PM

http://minizracer.com/shop/products.php?pid=8 That is a link to minizracer's readyset section.

You will find two manufactuers there. Kyosho and Iwaver. Iwaver is a clone of the Kyosho cars.

Iwaver Pluses: less expensive, runs very well and uses the same hop up as Kyosho kits do.

Iwaver Minuses: lower quality control in production. Thin wires with poor soldering. If you are good with a soldering iron this might be a good choice.

Kyosho Pluses: High quality electronics, high quality bodies.

Kyosho Minuses: High quality body! They are so nice that you might not want to run it! Honestly I have yet to find a draw back on Kyosho cars other than the higher price.

there are 2 basic styles of on-road racers. The K MR-01 (IW01) and K MR-02 (IW02).

In the 01 series, the batteries stack on top of one another like your Xmods. This leads to higher center of gravity. They do not have brakes, servo saver (can break servo gears easier if you hit something with the wheels turned) and the track width of the 01's are on the narrow side which tends to lead to the cars flipping. The 01's by Kyosho seem to be being fazed out and replaced by the new MR-015.

The 02 series offers laydown batteries for a much lower CG, they have brakes to help make sharper corners and the width of the chassis is much wider. Added to the car is a servo saver.

The MR-015 mentioned above is only available from Kyosho. It is a cross between the 01 and 02. Most hop ups for the 02 will work the the 015. The 015 has stacked batteries, brakes, servo saver, narrow front track and wide rear track. It can flip due to a higher CG but with the wider rear track it is alittle harder to do compared to the 01.

The nice thing with the 015 is that you can run almost all of the old 01 AutoScale bodies. Even some 02 bodies will work on it also.

The two major things you would notice out of the box between Mini-Z and Xmod is speed and turning radius. The speed difference is very noticable. Turing, there is no comparison. Mini-Z kills the Xmods. If you run a technical track with lots of tight hairpin turns the Mini-Z crush the Xmod.

mini-z
2005.06.17, 01:44 PM
Kudos for the well-thought and thorough response bda52! :)

bda52
2005.06.17, 02:26 PM
Kudos for the well-thought and thorough response bda52! :)

Thanks Mini-Z. Figured it would be best to just give as much info. Thankfully I have every style out there (like many of us) to compare them too. Though I do not own a X-mod, I did get one for my Dad for Christmas (67 Camaro) so he can use it at the car cruises he goes to.

I would love to see more and more people get addicted (this is not a hobby!!!) to Mini-Z's.

mini-z
2005.06.17, 03:30 PM
Cool, just wanted to let you know we appreciate it! :)