PDA

View Full Version : excellent track surface!!

i-WERKS
2002.03.08, 08:54 AM
I've just purchased a roll of Asphalt roofing paper. The surface is amazing!!. My track space is about 3 feet by 10 feet. Before adding this surface, it was way too slippery (vinyl tiles). Now, I can drive at much higher speeds and the steering is precise.

I definately recommend this this surface for building your track.
It's black so it looks like a real road surface and it's dirt cheap.
I paid $20 CAD for a roll that covers over 400 sq feet at Home Depot.

herman
2002.03.08, 11:57 PM
glad you like it, most of the guys at the track like it too... check out the tracks...

www.connecticutspeedway.com

vertex
2002.03.09, 12:48 AM
We've have asphalt paper on our track as well, since a couple of weeks back. The grip is phenomenal, but the drawback is that after racing a while the track becomes sandy so you need to vacuum clean it. And the cars do get really sandy as well....

But apart from that, it sure looks cool and has excellent grip.

Our small track is build in a room at our office. See this site (it's in Swedish) http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/ullissa/anders/FA-banbygge.html for the "story of our track..."

i-WERKS
2002.03.11, 10:44 AM
vertex

There were two types of the paper. One was more of a sandpaper finish. The other was like a very thick paper coated with tar. The finish is smooth. I don't think it'll get sandy although there's only about 5 hours of race time on it.

herman
2002.03.12, 09:50 PM
well after a few runs, the track will tend to get dirty, as the rubber wheels will tend to wear... and it does get a bit gritty... track surface that i run on is quite similar to what you described... thick paper, a bit smooth, and covered with tar.

420z
2002.03.29, 12:21 AM
racing on the asphalt paper is very realistic but if you are running radial tires ,it will tear 'em up