PDA

View Full Version : 4WD Monster CrawlerZ

Stoovey
2005.07.01, 12:24 AM
Well, I talked about this project quite some time ago, bought the parts, and then got so busy I never touched it.

Last night I finally started my project, even though I've got other projects on the shelf...gotta start somewhere!

Anyway, this involves turning a regular Monster OL into a 4WD beast with proper wheel turning using custom knuckle adapters rather than by turning the entire axle. I am still working on the adapter design (I'll need two for the "front" and two extensions for the "rear"). I did manage to assemble my "front" axle, which is actually a second rear axle. I had it all finished before realizing I had the tire threads going the wrong way! Fixing it only took a few minutes...

My next step, once I clarify some questions, is to wire everything together. That includes the second motor and a new micro servo for the steering. After that, I'll be working on the chassis. I originally planned on doing a traditional 4-link suspension but recently stumbled upon a radical rock crawler chassis design that should be far easier (simpler...) to construct, as well as being much more flexible as far as ease in crawling over obstacles!

I will try to take some pics next week. In the meantime, check out a few pics of the chassis inspiration:

Stick chassis 1 (http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/images/Xtreme_Gallery/DSCN5349.JPG)

Stick chassis 2 (http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/images/Xtreme_Gallery/DSCN5387.JPG)

Stick chassis 3 (http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/images/Xtreme_Gallery/kevin3.jpg)

Obviously my version will be smaller and not even as elaborate as that...but it's not all that elaborate to start with.

If my crawler project works the way I would like it to, I might build another one with a traditional 4-link suspension, just 'cuz I can.

SonicFury
2005.07.03, 11:58 AM
Very nice reminds me a Tamiya TLT crawler. I love those things to death.

Stoovey
2005.07.03, 04:57 PM
Yeah, TLTs are pretty cool. Clods are better for the Stick (actually I don't think anything else would work...) because the motors are on the axles and don't require a standard transmission and driveshafts.

TamiyaBF
2005.07.06, 07:35 PM
The stick chassis is pretty revolutionary. As a builder of mod clods since age 12 I would have to be honest and say for 1:10, I feel like its kind of cheating. But for a MZM crawler it would work wonders. You could use a steering link from a clodbuster as your chassis.

You should also pop a 3 channel on there , if you could fit it. That way you could go into "crab walk" when need-be.

Stoovey
2005.07.08, 04:41 PM
The stick chassis is pretty revolutionary. As a builder of mod clods since age 12 I would have to be honest and say for 1:10, I feel like its kind of cheating. But for a MZM crawler it would work wonders. You could use a steering link from a clodbuster as your chassis.

You should also pop a 3 channel on there , if you could fit it. That way you could go into "crab walk" when need-be.

That's some good advice! I'll look into the size of the Clod steering link. I think I'll pass on the 3-channel though, to keep things simpler.

TamiyaBF
2005.07.08, 07:36 PM
An example would be here

http://rc4wd.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=822

I think they are made from 1/8th Inch rods. You might be able to pick some up at home depot, have them cut it to your length and drill/tap it for you. If not , DEV2k at rcmt.net will be able to do one for cheap. rcmt.net is also a good place for 1/10 crawling ,ideas etc. Also there will be people there who can help you immensly. DEV2k might even be able to make a custom mounting/chassis config if you can dream it up. Only problem with rcmt.net is thats its a pain to get into , you need to turn cookies off and jump through hoops.

Stoovey
2005.07.19, 12:16 AM
Okay, so shoot me. I didn't get any pics taken "next week" like I said. I will try to take some later this week.

In the meantime, I've made more progress. I wired the motors in series to the ESC. I turned it on to test it, but couldn't really do much real driving without the suspension hooked up. I basically just have the two axles attached via the bottom arms, so it was pretty floppy...but definitely 4WD! Series, for the uneducated, means essentially double the torque and longer run times, but slower overall speed. This is supposed to be a rock crawler, so slower is actually better.

Next step is to design and manufacture the axle adapter and u-joints to allow proper wheel turning. That might take a few weeks to design (I do work for a living during the day...) and a few more weeks to find someone to make it for me.

Stay tuned for pics!