PDA

View Full Version : Alum. Alloy Damper Mount, Then What

mithuth
2005.07.09, 10:08 AM
Well, I busted the front damper mount, as expected. I ordered a gun metal aluminum one. I'm guessing it will handle the shock from front end collision.

My question is, what breaks now? The force of the blow has to go somewhere, and I would guess the next weakest part will break. What part will that be?

Bad Company
2005.07.09, 11:42 AM
More than likely, you will crack the main chassis where the damper mount attaches at the screws.

mithuth
2005.07.09, 11:53 AM
More than likely, you will crack the main chassis where the damper mount attaches at the screws.

Has anyone found a way around that, or to reinforce that area so it stops breaking?

HammerZ
2005.07.10, 11:01 AM
The pillow balls off the front box will bear quite a load with the alloy mounts. I have been looking onto a few work arounds on that one.

mithuth
2005.07.10, 11:02 AM
The pillow balls off the front box will bear quite a load with the alloy mounts. I have been looking onto a few work arounds on that one.

Perhaps replace the small plastic shafts with some sore of shock/spring setup?

HammerZ
2005.07.10, 11:15 AM
I thought of that, Right now I run an alloy top part on my front case. I also tried cutting the plastic top case to allow some give on the top pillow ball section. That works somewhat as long as you don't get too wild with it.

mithuth
2005.07.10, 01:40 PM
I thought of that, Right now I run an alloy top part on my front case. I also tried cutting the plastic top case to allow some give on the top pillow ball section. That works somewhat as long as you don't get too wild with it.

Could you post a pic of your set up?

Mine's stock right now, other than my custom glue job. I thought my aluminum would be here by now. I guess maybe Monday.

HammerZ
2005.07.12, 02:10 PM
Sure I can. The second one may be a bit big. The first pic is the clear top that I added some plastic to the pillow ball section.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/524/Alloy_mount_mod.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/524/Half_and_Half_group.JPG

CobraGeek
2005.07.21, 02:59 PM
Like several others here, after I replaced the front shock tower with an alloy piece, the front servo case (or front gear box) was very quick to break, right where the upper arms connect with the little ball topped screws. (the ball topped screw just broke out of its hole).

what I did to prevent this from happening again was get a pair of shocks and use those in place of the upper suspension arms. I put two of the stiffest springs on them so they would be quite stiff, but with those in place I haven't broken any other pieces even though I have whacked into a lot of things at high speed. I do think it compromises the handling a little because of the flexibility of the shocks (now suspension pieces), but I'll take that over having it broken all the time while waiting for more parts.

It wasn't very hard to do. The only thing preventing a simple swap in (that I can remember anyway) is that the shocks/springs are thicker than the suspension arms and interfere with the front shock tower. I just used very small washers as spacers to raise the height of the front shock tower so that there was enough room under it for the new shocks to clear.