PDA

View Full Version : Does any one really break in?

PD2
2005.07.22, 09:43 PM
Does any one really break in their motors? I have read a few of the old threads of suggestions of how to break them in, but really, are you guys breaking in the motors? If so, which method have you found to be the best overall - especially for stock motors?

Thanks for satisfying my curitosity!
PD2 :cool:

arch2b
2005.07.22, 10:24 PM
i typically run all new motor on one cell till it dies. that's all i do and if it really help, i couldn't tell.

solartech
2005.07.22, 10:43 PM
If you are going to bother to brake it in be sure to water dip it for a few minutes at 3volts.

TNB
2005.07.22, 11:39 PM
Tigger & Bennie have their own special method of breaking in motors.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album403

pchan0
2005.07.23, 12:02 AM
Yes, break in is needed when motor is new or new brushes is installed to seat the brushes. Break in using 2 cells for 3 minutes with a fan blowing on the motor.

TNB
2005.07.23, 12:29 AM
Who needs a fan if the motor is underwater? ;)

PD2
2005.07.23, 08:38 AM
See this is what I'm talking about - everyone seems to have their own version of break in.

Back when I ran electric off-road, we broke in motors using comm drops and break in stand. I was going to use the same method, but then I started reading all these different ways to break in. I know the method I used for doing 540 cans was better just because I had tried various things. It appears with these mini motors that it really does not matter which method you use - not one is better than the other - just so long as you break it in.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Really appreciated!

davkin
2005.07.23, 06:17 PM
Back when I ran electric off-road, we broke in motors using comm drops and break in stand.

That's how I do it with Mini-Z motors as well. I run it on two cells for maybe ten minutes and every now and then hit it with a comm drop. I use bushing oil on it while doing this. I think it does make a difference as the motors seem a bit faster at least for a while vs just using them straight out of the box, but it may just be luck of the draw or my imagination. Without a dyno there's really know way to know for sure.

David

Draconious
2005.07.23, 06:24 PM
Run Motor at 3 volts for 2 minutes in water, then 3 minutes in air at 1 volt, then stand on your head and spin around while running it at 1.5 volts... then dance a rain dance for more water, and run it for another 5 minutes at 2 volts under water again..

LOL

I just buy them toss them on the car, and go...

DogbreathRacing
2005.07.24, 01:30 AM
Run Motor at 3 volts for 2 minutes in water, then 3 minutes in air at 1 volt, then stand on your head and spin around while running it at 1.5 volts... then dance a rain dance for more water, and run it for another 5 minutes at 2 volts under water again..

Geez.....sounds like the Hokey Pokey :D

TNB
2005.07.24, 10:22 AM
It's easier for me to let the cats "bat" a motor around for a while before putting it in a Z.

mod_o_matic
2005.07.24, 10:46 PM
Truth is, why go through the hassel of breaking it in when you are not raceing? The true reason of breaking in motors is this:
In the stock class Z racing only X-speed can be used. Sooo...people buy like 10 of them, break them in and pick the fastest one hopeing to win :D

I still ran mine for like 10 minuits at 3 volts to be safe lol!

byebye
2005.07.25, 02:53 AM
I tried a water breaking for like half an hour? Not a too bright......Needless to say the brushes are nearly gone. What I did though was water breakin at 3 volts. Took the motor apart and cleaned the comm with a pencil eraser till it was nice and shiney. Put a drop of oil on both bearings and put the can back together. It ran smooth and very quiet. I would say it helps. If your bored and don't have a track and all of your stuff then do it. I think your are just as good to go if you run it on 2 cells till they die.

-Byebye

Q ball
2005.07.25, 01:39 PM
PD2:

I race with you over in Houston, I think you know who I am. I have never broke in a motor. You've seen my car and how the motor runs. From that you can draw your own conclusion.

PD2
2005.07.25, 02:11 PM
PD2:

I race with you over in Houston, I think you know who I am. I have never broke in a motor. You've seen my car and how the motor runs. From that you can draw your own conclusion.

Thanks man! I appreciate it! I know who you are - was waiting for your counterpart to reply to, but did not see him reply yet. No worries - I'll take it that he does it that way too.

Thanks for the reply!

ph2t
2005.07.26, 01:59 PM
pd2, follow the steps I've written here, don't bother with water dipping, I'm not for a procedure that involves water. Think about it. %20 of it is for the break in of brushes, %80 is to clean the bloody water outta it.

http://www.woahnelly.com/plasmatomic/tutorial3.htm

ph2t.

Twinblade
2005.07.31, 08:02 AM
I feel it going faster.., but break-in time depends on what type of motor you use...

First dip it in water!!!! Fully in the water, including part of the wires

the best voltage for breaking is 3 volts (2 cells) because 130 size motors are made for that voltage... they don't get really hot and still run fast enought to breakin the brushes

then look at the comm every 1 or 2 min.. look for the shiny stripes on both sides where the brushes touch... you want these stripes to be one.

then take the motor out and shut down ..

clean it using brake cleaner (you can buy it at any garage or these kind of places for about 10$.. and it last a hole season)

and you are done... the break cleaner takes the place or remaining water, then dries.....

DON'T FORGET TO LUBE YOUR BEARINGS/BUSHINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Plasmatomic (thank's to you guy :p ) and I had 40 kph on dyno before break-in and 45 after it!!! that makes a difference.. if you don't break-in, your motor behaviors will change after a while, as it breaks-in by it self. I had a setup before i broke-it in and it was way too slippy after... let's call it "The Neverending Spin-Out"