PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco PN CUP

TITANIUM
2005.07.25, 02:31 PM
i got word that the sept 17th is soild.
so now that..that is settled...

WHOS going?

i will be there...and i look forward in meeting many of you in person!
does anybody know if Fraz is going?

TITANIUM
2005.07.29, 02:11 AM
well I wasnít expecting such an over whelming response.... :rolleyes:

I guess I will just let this thread die.......

arch2b
2005.07.29, 06:55 AM
how many of these are left?

briankstan
2005.07.29, 09:49 AM
there is one on August 20th. at Action RC Speedway in NYC, and the one in San Francisco on Sept 17th.

The PN World Cup in October 29-30th. in Los Angeles.

Brian

TITANIUM
2005.07.29, 01:45 PM
how many of these are left?
you need to go and check out PN's new web site....

they even have pics of drivers qualified for the worlds race...
(at least those so far completed)(USA anyway)

yes im on there...yet another terrable pic of myself...but not as bad as the one brian posted of me on his site..hahaha....
thats ok....there always needs to be the ugly kid within the group.....
(imagine if i didnt keep the T under control...wow that would be a pic for the records)
:D

TNB
2005.07.29, 01:59 PM
It looks just like you--Terrible Titanium. ;) Now you know why my "mug" is not up there though I was thinking about emailing a photo of TNB if you know what I mean.

TITANIUM
2005.07.29, 02:50 PM
ya, we should have gotten a group pic at the CC GTG!...
ok, now we need to schedule another CC GTG just for that very reason!...

whoís up for it? and what month?...maybe November?

TITANIUM
2005.07.29, 02:51 PM
BTW, give me a call today if you can....(i dont know if your too busy or not...and im not busy at all today...)

briankstan
2005.07.29, 03:04 PM
I'm up for it, I think we need to schedule it before the new arrival shows up. that would be the end of september.

It would be alot easier to get away for the day. Maybe the 10th. os sept. it could be some good practice for you before the SF regional. Let me know.

Brian

TITANIUM
2005.07.29, 04:51 PM
that sounds great!...
who else wants to go? TNB, kelly? anybody else?
id love for ya to come down...!

briankstan
2005.07.29, 04:58 PM
we will even have a timing system. that will be even better

TITANIUM
2005.07.29, 05:11 PM
yep, thats going to be great!...

(but i will make it better, lunch is on me!)

briankstan
2005.07.29, 06:05 PM
I'll talk to kelly and see if he would like to come. He probably will. I'll also talk to the guys in our club and see if any of them are interested.

TNB
2005.07.29, 07:56 PM
BTW, give me a call today if you can....(i dont know if your too busy or not...and im not busy at all today...)
It was nice chatting with you today.
Maybe the 10th. os sept. it could be some good practice for you before the SF regional. Let me know.

Labor Day weekend is 9/3-9/5...

briankstan
2005.07.29, 08:29 PM
does Saturday Sept 5th. work better then? I should be able to make that. I'll have to check and see if that works with some of the club members, if they would like to come.

TITANIUM
2005.07.29, 08:43 PM
either/or is fine with me.... :cool:

TNB
2005.07.29, 09:30 PM
does Saturday Sept 5th. work better then?
September 5th "2005" is Monday. ;)

briankstan
2005.07.29, 10:48 PM
September 5th "2005" is Monday. ;)

sorry the 3rd. damn typo

Lionblade
2005.08.09, 10:03 PM
there is one on August 20th. at Action RC Speedway in NYC

Yeah, I'm gonna be at that one. Just so anyone else who's going knows, NYC doesn't neccessarily mean the city...which is what we call Manhattan. NYC is 5 boroughs, and ARCMS is in Staten Island. Just a heads-up, don't want anyone to get lost.. :D

Anyone else going to be there? I guarantee the huge track will make for great racing. TECHNICALLY, we could run 12 cars at a time..Nirvana! :D

TITANIUM
2005.08.10, 01:58 AM
oh, crap....i just received word that not just Alan will be there, but Chad, Brain, & Rudy too.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......

did i say ahhhhhhhhhhhhh already?

i guess i will need to start practicing much sooner for this one....

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

TNB
2005.08.10, 03:51 PM
Just received? I thought that was a done deal long ago since Rudy couldn't make the Rialto run. :D However, it's not like this is the first time you've raced against him or the others, but I'm sure all those Cali guys are getting in a lot of "race" time at the PN Racing store not to mention on their own tracks.

TITANIUM
2005.08.10, 05:28 PM
Just received? I thought that was a done deal long ago since Rudy couldn't make the Rialto run. :D However, it's not like this is the first time you've raced against him or the others, but I'm sure all those Cali guys are getting in a lot of "race" time at the PN Racing store not to mention on their own tracks.

yup, i knew rudy would be there....
and yes these guys are getting in alot of club racing in....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
i will do my best.....but my winning odds went down in a flames...ahhhhhhhhhhh!

imxlr8ed
2005.08.11, 10:37 AM
Army of Dorks are on their way to NY the 20th ! Should be a blast ! :D
Is Al going to post a list of attendees ? How many are signed up already ? Anyone know ?

Lionblade
2005.08.11, 01:40 PM
Army of Dorks are on their way to NY the 20th ! Should be a blast ! :D
Is Al going to post a list of attendees ? How many are signed up already ? Anyone know ?

I'm not sure how many are registered yet..but I was still able to register on our deadline, the 6th. I'd say about 30-35 people so far.

I'll ask Al if he's going to post a list when I see him Saturday. I hope he does, I'd like to know the names of the people who I'm gonna lose to.. :D

And you Dorks will get to see my red/glue Enzo. :p Well, maybe not if I order and get my SLR by the 20th.

imxlr8ed
2005.08.11, 03:07 PM
I think we have 9 going (including me)... he's using the Core system, right ?
We already have our transponders from arch2b. Can't hardly wait, trade some stories, ideas, parts, paint... :D and get some new result graphs up on our site !

Lionblade
2005.08.11, 03:14 PM
I think we have 9 going (including me)... he's using the Core system, right ?
We already have our transponders from arch2b. Can't hardly wait, trade some stories, ideas, parts, paint... :D and get some new result graphs up on our site !

I don't think he's using the core system...we don't have to put ugly transponders on our cars, never had to. Leave 'em home. ;)

briankstan
2005.08.11, 04:30 PM
I don't think he's using the core system...we don't have to put ugly transponders on our cars, never had to. Leave 'em home. ;)

what system are they using? the core transponders go inside the body so you don't even see them.

Lionblade
2005.08.11, 04:41 PM
what system are they using? the core transponders go inside the body so you don't even see them.

I'm not sure the name of the system, I'll ask Al on Saturday. We don't use any transponders, neither on nor inside the body.

I'll get info when I go on the 13th.

imxlr8ed
2005.08.11, 06:32 PM
Last time we were up there he had a KoPropoARC 2 (I think that's the name)... but I'm pretty sure I remember something about a Core being used... maybe just the voices in my head again. :rolleyes: Oh well, we'll just have to bring stock and Xmod crystals just in case.

Lionblade
2005.08.11, 10:34 PM
Last time we were up there he had a KoPropoARC 2 (I think that's the name)... but I'm pretty sure I remember something about a Core being used... maybe just the voices in my head again. :rolleyes: Oh well, we'll just have to bring stock and Xmod crystals just in case.

That's a good idea, some of the racers stock Xmod crystals with them. Kyosho extras are good too, but I don't recommend Futaba crystals. The counter didn't like to read mine all of the time. :(

demick1
2005.08.21, 12:55 AM
So a whole thread about the SF qualifier, and not a single local person chimes in. Is anyone even going to attend the SF race? I'd like to go - just looking for some reassurance that others are going to show up as well.

I'm wondering what timing system will be used. Core is listed as a sponsor so I have to assume it might be that system. Although nobody has the Core transponders so those would have to be available or handout as well???

Also - maybe you NY qualifier guys can answer this. How are the handout motors handled. Our schedule gives 30 minutes of practice before qualifing begins. If we get our handout motors the morning of the race, there will be no time to break in the motors and practice with them. Seems pretty hectic to get the handout, break it in, install it in the car, and get some practice runs all in 30 minutes. Especially for those of us who run more than one class.

Demick

TITANIUM
2005.08.21, 01:34 AM
I will be there, so will 5 others I know of....
im sure you will need to purchase some core cards from Philip when there...($8 each) (im not sure if you can use just one for all classes)
yes, brake-in of motors will be somewhat a management thing...
I plan on braking in my two speedy as long as possible...and just practice with the so4 not broke in, until we start qualifiers...
Since I have zero time on that specific track (Philips from arcadia) I donít imagine I will have a good set-up until the last qualifier....
However, I know that the guys that have been on that track before will be happy to help with set-up if there is any issue with anybody not able to get it dialed...

demick1
2005.08.21, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info Titanium. Nobody should have a home track advantage as the place where the race will be run is not a regular track. They will just be setting up an RCP track in a dance studio or something. So as long as you have run on an RCP track before, you shouldn't be disadvantaged in any way.

crazyracer
2005.08.21, 01:57 PM
Hello guys

We confirm to use Corespeed lap system
The RCP track around 32x20 feet

And I will post my setup sheet of MR02 in the PN web Tuesday

I will try to arrange more time for practice.

Door open 8:30am

9:00am - 9:30am Practice Time

9:30am - 9:45am Driver Meeting

9:45am - 11:15am First Qualify

11:15am - 12:45pm Second Qualify

12:45pm - 2:15pm Third Qualify

2:15pm - 2:45pm Practice Time

2:45pm - 5:30pm Final Race

5:30pm - 6:00pm Prize Giving Ceremony

TITANIUM
2005.08.21, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info Titanium. Nobody should have a home track advantage as the place where the race will be run is not a regular track. They will just be setting up an RCP track in a dance studio or something. So as long as you have run on an RCP track before, you shouldn't be disadvantaged in any way.

im not worried about home track advantage.....
like I said before.....the guys that have raced on that track before will help out with set-up issues...that is if the new location does not change any of the track variables involved with their arcadia set-up...

and yes, there is a home track advantage...but if you know those guy like I do...then you would know that home track advantage isnít going to be the main variable racing against them...is it the fact that they are extremely good, that will be the main variable.....

fyi, generally no rcp track and location combination will have the same handling characteristics....

TITANIUM
2005.08.21, 04:09 PM
Hello guys

We confirm to use Corespeed lap system
The RCP track around 32x20 feet

And I will post my setup sheet of MR02 in the PN web Tuesday

I will try to arrange more time for practice.

Philip, if I may suggest...you should take the practice time away after the third qualifier and add that time to the first morning practice session...

I think it would be in better interest to the racers in this situation.

herman
2005.08.22, 10:38 AM
venue according to the site...

S&E Cafe 1/F
2406 19th Ave, First Floor, San Francisco, CA94116.

cr@p.... its just 1.3 miles from where i stayed when i was in sf a few months back (july to be excact)... :D

imxlr8ed
2005.08.22, 12:13 PM
They pretty much just handed out the 05s... they were not engraved though. I think they should be though, I could've easily swapped motors during the day, and nobody would've known. (a look-a-like with a different armature, better brushes, who knows !) I did offer to tech in the cars after the Mains, but I didn't want to start any trouble... I really don't care if somebody cheats, (they have to live with the knowledge that they can't cut it being fair... not me ! :D ) and I'm not saying anyone there was either !!! (I realized why later, I'll explain below) The NY crew is a great bunch of drivers. But, if you want guarantees, and this is directed to PN event coordinators... The top three finishers, in the A-mains should be teched in, right after the completion of the races, drivers should not remove the cars from the track, and the tech should be completed by a knowledgeable, disinterested party.

My advice, and the only difference I noted this weekend, between me and the "pros" was batteries... seems like the Rayovac 15 minute battery was the only difference, and they discharged them fully after every race. Best lap I could turn, was in the 9.20s, only reason I got where I was, was because I am consistant in my lines. Everyone that was ahead of me was using them, and they were turning mid to high 8s. The difference in speed was extremely noticeable !

TITANIUM
2005.08.22, 03:38 PM
the races in cal have been just like that...philip tech'ed the winners...
and i second your statment about cheating...

as for batteries, what did you use?

imxlr8ed
2005.08.22, 04:29 PM
the races in cal have been just like that...philip tech'ed the winners...
and i second your statment about cheating...

as for batteries, what did you use?

Just to confirm, I'm positive nobody there was cheating anything, but man... those cars with the Rayovacs were flying !!!
I had some old Powerizers 850s, and some GP 950s, seemed to do fairly well, but not nearly as punchy and as fast as the Rayovac users. I think I'm gonna change over to them.

demick1
2005.09.01, 06:42 PM
OK. I signed up so I guess I'll be there. Just hoping enough people show up to make a good competetive race. Signups close Saturday.

crazyracer
2005.09.10, 02:55 PM
up to now around 20 racers already sign up!

fraz
2005.09.12, 02:19 PM
up to now around 20 racers already sign up!

Hi Philip,

Can you post the entries? I too am concerned about everybody having fair motors. Will you please mark the armatures and cans so people don't cheat? Do we have to buy the Core cards or are we using the KO system?

I too agree with making all of the practice first thing in the morning.

Sounds like fun.

Aaronnn
2005.09.13, 01:10 AM
fraz, im sure you will need to buy the cards...i dont know if you can just buy one for all classes and just change each race....
i purchased 2 big cards and a F1 card for $8 each when i was in railto...

Aaronnn
2005.09.13, 01:15 AM
btw, fraz...
I hear Titanium is going to school you in F1.... :D

arch2b
2005.09.13, 06:17 AM
you could get away with one card for al your cars if the only data input with the card is your name, it wouldn't matter what else was set. or you could get one for each car and not have to worry about anything. atleast that's how it works on my track :p

fraz
2005.09.13, 03:38 PM
btw, fraz...
I hear Titanium is going to school you in F1.... :D

I'm not running F1 this time and heck, even you would school me in F1 at the rate mine is going:) Hope all is well with you and hope to make it to LA for the finals.

Aaronnn
2005.09.14, 01:57 PM
fraz, i will see you down there at SF right?
no F1? are you serious?.....

btw, Titanium is my other login....hee hee.... :D

crazyracer
2005.09.15, 02:05 AM
Race Format:

5minutes Qualifying and run for 4 races, taking the best (Laps and Time) in 3 Qualify to Main group. 8minutes Final race of each Mains.

All cars from each qualifier and main are required to pass technical inspection after the race. 

Track Location:
S&E Cafe 1/F

Track Layout:
RCP Track 19mats x 12mats (31feet x 20feet), subject may be change.
http://www.pnracing.us/SF-layout.jpg

We will provide table chairs and power supply, you need to bring your own power extension cable.

(* all of the racers should bring a towel to protect the pit area table)

Payment:

1. Paypal pays to account entryfee@pnracing.com .

2. Money Order please make payable to ďKenon Inc Ē

All entry form please mail to Kenon Inc, PO Box 2195, Temple City, CA 91780.
Drop off Club 28 RC - 35 Washington St., Daly City, CA 94014 Tel: (650) 755-4661
We still open for any entries up to 9/17 9:00am at the track.

TNB
2005.09.15, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if a few people are running that layout right now since it was posted. Not me of course, since the track is boxed up.

fraz
2005.09.15, 03:04 PM
fraz, i will see you down there at SF right?
no F1? are you serious?.....

btw, Titanium is my other login....hee hee.... :D

Ahh, yep I'm going. Isn't there a shorter trip for you? Is Darrell coming too? Where you guys staying?

Aaronnn
2005.09.15, 03:58 PM
Ahh, yep I'm going. Isn't there a shorter trip for you? Is Darrell coming too? Where you guys staying?

I will be at the embassy near the airport....look me up, I will be there all friday relaxing....Darrell is not going....(slacker, hee hee)

TNB, I wish we had your track up here so I could practice that layout...(we know who is already practicing that layout :mad: )

TNB
2005.09.15, 08:46 PM
Fraz,
No go on SF. Yes, on LA though I'll be staying in Glendale.

Aaronn,
Better yet, I wish I still had use of the warehouse. I can already tell my Z-driving skills have decreased between the 4th and Labor Day. Perhaps, I'll set up the Mini-Tile 96 sometime since the weather is finally below 100F here.

crazyracer
2005.09.15, 10:55 PM
Race Format:

5minutes Qualifying and run for 4 races, taking the best (Laps and Time) in 3 Qualify to Main group. 8minutes Final race of each Mains.

All cars from each qualifier and main are required to pass technical inspection after the race. 

Track Location:
S&E Cafe 1/F

Track Layout:
RCP Track 19mats x 12mats (31feet x 20feet), subject may be change.
http://www.pnracing.us/SF-layout.jpg

We will provide table chairs and power supply, you need to bring your own power extension cable.

(* all of the racers should bring a towel to protect the pit area table)

Payment:

1. Paypal pays to account entryfee@pnracing.com .

2. Money Order please make payable to ďKenon Inc Ē

All entry form please mail to Kenon Inc, PO Box 2195, Temple City, CA 91780.
Drop off Club 28 RC - 35 Washington St., Daly City, CA 94014 Tel: (650) 755-4661
We still open for any entries up to 9/17 9:00am at the track.

Race format and layout changed:

5minutes Qualifying and run for 4 races, taking the best (Laps and Time) in 3 Qualify to Main group. 10 minutes final race of A Mains, 8 minutes final race of others mains.

http://www.pnracing.us/SF-layout2.jpg

We never try and post on first or second layout, don't worry, our mission is make fair race.

Aaronnn
2005.09.15, 11:11 PM
cool, 10 minute A mains!......
I like the latest layout you just posted!
however I would like to suggest that the lower left corner should have the rail extend down one more tile to make that section a true chicane...
jmo.....

TNB
2005.09.16, 12:23 AM
You never change. How many times do I have to tell you, you can't "help" design the race layout like your home track layout. :p

fraz
2005.09.16, 02:05 PM
You never change. How many times do I have to tell you, you can't "help" design the race layout like your home track layout. :p

ROFLOL!!

Aaron, I guarantee after you hit that corner coming off straightaway speeds there is no way it will not be a chicane. What time do you get in? If you have a rental car, come down and practice with us at HobbyTown Fremont tonight. I don't get off work that early so I won't make it until around 7 but their layouts are usually fun and pretty big.

Kind of interesting format. 4 qualifiers and the combined 3 best go to the A. Cool, I like trying new stuff. What I like even better is knowing in advance what the heck is going on... good job Philip; keep us posted:)

demick1
2005.09.16, 05:27 PM
Kind of interesting format. 4 qualifiers and the combined 3 best go to the A. Cool, I like trying new stuff. What I like even better is knowing in advance what the heck is going on... good job Philip; keep us posted:)

Fraz. I don't think that's what he meant. There are 3 qualifiers and the main (look at the schedule). I think it's the usual race format.

fraz
2005.09.16, 05:37 PM
Fraz. I don't think that's what he meant. There are 3 qualifiers and the main (look at the schedule). I think it's the usual race format.

He posted this more recently and it sounded pretty clear to me.

"5minutes Qualifying and run for 4 races, taking the best (Laps and Time) in 3 Qualify to Main group. 10 minutes final race of A Mains, 8 minutes final race of others mains."

Maxfield
2005.09.18, 11:54 PM
Hey Guys!

So what were the results of the San Francisco PN races this weekend?

crazyracer
2005.09.19, 01:26 AM
Hey Guys!

So what were the results of the San Francisco PN races this weekend?

chekc it out PN Racing web > World Cup > September 17 San Francisco CA (http://www.pnracing.com)

pchan0
2005.09.19, 12:23 PM
Hello, was AD band allowed for this race? I know the rules stated no AD band, but from the pictures I see one of the car and radio was eqquiped with AD band or was he just practicing with that car set? Thanks.

crazyracer
2005.09.19, 12:30 PM
Hello, was AD band allowed for this race? I know the rules stated no AD band, but from the pictures I see one of the car and radio was eqquiped with AD band or was he just practicing with that car set? Thanks.

AD not allowed, they just bring it to run, not for race.

fraz
2005.09.19, 03:13 PM
cool, 10 minute A mains!......

Congrats on taking home all that hardware. Good seein' ya. That abbreviated race schedule didn't give a ton of time for socializing but hopefully I can make it to the LA race and we'll have more time to chill.

Thanks Philip for holding the race. The tight schedule was a little crazy and we could have used more practice time in the morning but all was great. I wish I knew how to get the speed out of my cars that some of the others had. I ran the same gearing and had good batteries but my motor was topped out half way down the straight. Oh well, I guess it kept me out of trouble:)

Aaronnn
2005.09.19, 11:41 PM
ya, I didnít see your invite until I got back Sunday....
I was busy cleaning my z's and getting them ready ... and the drive to Fremont would have been tuff to make...

I messed around too much in stock class quals trying to get a good set-up and I ended up in the b-main...I was counting on a bump up...but as you know that option didnít happen...
(not that I thought it would be a walk in the park to get into the a-main from the b-main....it was very close in the b-main and very fun....I just wish I had the set-up in the quals that I used in the b-main....and there was a bump up situation...oh well no bigge...)

it amazed me how some of the racers could pull away from me on the straights and have such punch with the stock motor...apparently there are secrets in preparing the motor...
and obviously I didnít have the secret...my stock car was like a turtle out there...
there was one guy that would crash allot but yet catch up to me within a half lap he was so fast...but then crash again....but anyway it amazed me how different each car was within the same stock class race....I wonder if it was possibly a motor variable...i.e. get what you get, or if truly there are secrets to prepping the motors...
I broke my motor in for 45 minutes at 2 volts and thought it would be fine...
I didnít dare use my comm drops because I was afraid it might hinder my motor...
anyway, I doubt there was cheating as far as special fets and thing...but there were dramatic differences in the stock class....

mod class, well I wont even go there...I was all over the place...and really never gained control...it amazed me how some of you guys had such good mod speed and handling...good going on your podium finish!

I was very disappointed that there were only three entries in F1, at least both the other F1 guys were very good and it made for a no mistake race situation...
it was great to win...but with only three cars on the track that were identical in speed and handling was a bit of a bore.....three cars nearly on the same lap evenly spaced on the track for the entire race was tuff to get excitement out of it.......donít get me wrong...us three f1 racers were sweating it throughout...
but the worldís race will be much more flavorful!...

Aaronnn
2005.09.19, 11:43 PM
Philip & Alan, thanks for the great work you put into this race!
and dont make me do anymore announcing...haha im am horrable at it....

Aaronnn
2005.09.19, 11:47 PM
Congrats on taking home all that hardware. Good seein' ya. That abbreviated race schedule didn't give a ton of time for socializing but hopefully I can make it to the LA race and we'll have more time to chill.:)

worlds will be much less intense of a schedule!....
we should all have a great time!
(did you know that i spent so much time changing thingas and prepping for the next race i didnt get anything to eat all day...
i had one coke and muffin in the morning and that was all.....ahhhhh)

pchan0
2005.09.20, 12:04 AM
Looks like Enzo took all the top honors, was enzo the body to use for this layout? I see lots of Mclaren users as well.

Aaronnn
2005.09.20, 12:17 AM
the car list on the web site was not very accurate...
you would need to ask each driver specifically what he used...
however, I think mcl was the most popular pic...

I used a red enzo for mod, and a new yellow modena for stock...

Aaronnn
2005.09.20, 12:21 AM
also note that the a-mains were 10 minutes, and the b-mains were 8...
Hence the dramatic lap differences...

imxlr8ed
2005.09.20, 10:02 AM
it amazed me how some of the racers could pull away from me on the straights and have such punch with the stock motor...apparently there are secrets in preparing the motor...
and obviously I didnít have the secret...my stock car was like a turtle out there...
there was one guy that would crash allot but yet catch up to me within a half lap he was so fast...but then crash again....but anyway it amazed me how different each car was within the same stock class race....I wonder if it was possibly a motor variable...i.e. get what you get, or if truly there are secrets to prepping the motors...

Last 2 events I've been at... same deal. Only difference I saw was the batteries, the guys passing me were using those Rayovac 15 Min... discharging them after every race. Did you notice anyone using those ?

ruf
2005.09.20, 12:18 PM
Rayovac 15 min are the ticket. But don't use them more than twice a day. The third cycle, they are noticably flatter. Even the second cycle isn't that great. I have a set of killer Energizers (Sanyo HR-4). They are just a freak pack.

Aaronnn
2005.09.20, 01:10 PM
ya those IC3's are good, but the intellect 750 are better...
I have three new sets of ic3's and 6 new sets of intellects....
thanks to pchan0's consultations on the subject of chargers and batteries,
I pretty sure I have the battery department good to go...
I never use a set more than once during an event due to the flat punch involved mentioned by ruf....
anyway, after matching all my batteries I did allot of evaluation in running all these batteries and tracking the times manually by videoing and then manually using my timing system on computer.
the intellects had on average a .10 second per lap advantage over the ic3's, and a .25sec per lap advantage over my best GP950's... . oh, and by the way, I found that if I charge my intellects with my old radio shack pulse charger it makes them perform like crap...so all my info is all based on the same type of charging techniques with my ice charger....
so thatís what leads me to the motor specific issue...I doubt that anyone had better batteries than IÖ...

imxlr8ed
2005.09.20, 02:55 PM
Has there ever been a PN event where the cars got inspected after the race ? Were the motors marked or engraved for this event ? Even though I'm not too sure of the consistency of the Speedy 05, motor to motor... I have 2 that seem like complete dogs. (the ones from the event) and one I purchased which runs like an Xspeed. The motor that I got at the Winter Challenge (yes... months ago) still runs great, I did put new brushes in it, but it still performs well. I don't know... just felt like I was standing still in the races... wanting to know why ! And wanting to nail it down !

:confused:

Aaronnn
2005.09.20, 03:28 PM
maybe we can pry a motor tutoral from ruf!

imxlr8ed
2005.09.20, 03:37 PM
A motor tutorial would be cool... I want to get to the "next level", too much time just "playing"... time to concentrate on equipment for me. I've been so busy with other peoples cars, been neglecting my own. Read up on those Intellects... seem very promising. What charger do you use for the Intellect 750's ? I know you said about an ICE charger, are there any others that will work well ? (low budget preferably)

Aaronnn
2005.09.20, 03:41 PM
as for inspections...I didnít get one for F1...but then again there was no apparent advantage between our F1's...and I think Philip knows me well enough that inspections are not needed...plus i dont think there was time for it....
the other two classes I donít know if Philip inspected, but imo...that to isnít necessary...the top contenders are all very stand up people, and I would doubt any cheating.....
however they do go fast, and I donít know how they do it...

for instance in stock class, I was in quals with Rudy, many times he would be coming up from behind me and wait until the straight to pass me...he could start the straight a foot behind me and pass me mid point and pull about two feet ahead all within that straight distance...there only seemed to be 4-5 cars like that within the group at the sf race that had that type of speed...everybody else was very even with me as in stock speed...

Aaronnn
2005.09.20, 03:42 PM
A motor tutorial would be cool... I want to get to the "next level", too much time just "playing"... time to concentrate on equipment for me. I've been so busy with other peoples cars, been neglecting my own. Read up on those Intellects... seem very promising. What charger do you use for the Intellect 750's ? I know you said about an ICE charger, are there any others that will work well ? (low budget preferably)

the ice is what you want...for the $

imxlr8ed
2005.09.20, 04:12 PM
as for inspections...I didnít get one for F1...but then again there was no apparent advantage between our F1's...and I think Philip knows me well enough that inspections are not needed...plus i dont think there was time for it....
the other two classes I donít know if Philip inspected, but imo...that to isnít necessary...the top contenders are all very stand up people, and I would doubt any cheating.....
however they do go fast, and I donít know how they do it...

for instance in stock class, I was in quals with Rudy, many times he would be coming up from behind me and wait until the straight to pass me...he could start the straight a foot behind me and pass me mid point and pull about two feet ahead all within that straight distance...there only seemed to be 4-5 cars like that within the group at the sf race that had that type of speed...everybody else was very even with me as in stock speed...

I know... I'm sure they're all cool guys, same as the guys in NY. But I know none of the fast car owners won't be blabbing about what makes them faster than everyone else. (can't blame them for that) My consistency is the only thing that saved my butt up at PN. (I got that part down, I just need a faster stock car !!!)

Gasman is probably loving this !!! Yes Gasman... I'm finally breaking down !!! I might have to buy a fancy charger !!! :p

briankstan
2005.09.20, 04:25 PM
I just recently got the ice charger and I am very impressed with it. it's really not as expensive as some of the others, but don't forget the AC Power supply.

Aaronnn
2005.09.20, 05:29 PM
i've seen power supplies just like mine on the bay for $20 plus shipping....

imxlr8ed
2005.09.20, 06:09 PM
Has anyone used the Superbrain 959 ?... and whadya think of it ?
After some "research"... seems like a good route to go... price-wise anyways.

I saw that power supply too... might still get one anyways.

This turned into a tech thread fast, Sorry SF !!! :o

ruf
2005.09.20, 06:19 PM
Especially with the rules of the PN race, there really aren't any tricks to the motors. I don't really like water dipping. I'm too lazy I guess. I just break in at 3V for a little while and use some hooch before I run. The timing on mass produced motors can be a little off one way or another so it's possible to get a dog or a triple-stack blower like ruknd did. It's more about the batteries and making sure your drivetrain is free than anything. Oh yeah, gearing is also very important. One of those things you just have to experiment with.

In any case we had extra motors for sale. We post-race teched the top 3 cars in any class. The way that we did tires and motors was like a "claimer class". Good tires are only $4/pair and the motors aren't expensive either. If you thought someone had sauced or had tweaked a stock motor (mod had way to much power for anyone to worry about a cheater Saber motor!), then you were supposed to address me with the issue and the tires or motor would be inspected. The party at fault would pay for the new tires/motor. Luckily, we never had that problem. I liberally spread motor hooch around the pit area and no one had any complaints about power with the Speedy05. If you read the race report I have posted on our website, it was more of a event where everyone was helping everyone else get faster each round.

ruf
2005.09.20, 06:21 PM
GM Commander sitting in my box... :) But I typically use IC3 or Energizer 15 minute charger. Only use the Commander for cycling.

TNB
2005.09.20, 07:57 PM
hopefully I can make it to the LA race and we'll have more time to chill.
If I'm going, you had better. After all, I'm going more for the BS'ing than the racing. And if you have time, pick up one of those Iwaver Tanks so we can really battle it out--quite frankly, it's the best dang Iwaver I own and for $85 total, it's worth it just to watch the hairy kids chase it down. By the way, I should also be at iHobbyExpo the week prior.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album298/BenTank.jpg

fraz
2005.09.21, 04:22 PM
If I'm going, you had better. After all, I'm going more for the BS'ing than the racing. And if you have time, pick up one of those Iwaver Tanks so we can really battle it out--quite frankly, it's the best dang Iwaver I own and for $85 total, it's worth it just to watch the hairy kids chase it down. By the way, I should also be at iHobbyExpo the week prior.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album298/BenTank.jpg

Haha, the tanks look sweet. I should be able to make it down but I have a work thing scheduled that will be consuming a lot of my time. Also, I want to attend the Paris race in LV and it is 2 weeks before this. Lots o' driving!

As for the fast guys, I didn't do much special. As a matter of fact, my motor sucked on the top end. I would get half way down the straight and people would close on me fast. The bottom end punch was great so it helped me make up ground on the infield... which is the majority of the track. I was running my old batteries and my quals were not very good IMO and I never got a solid one in. I ran my old GP batteries and they seem to work ok. I have seen too many problems with the IC3 cells and I will not touch them no matter how much punch they give. They false peak, shut down for no reason, and are good for 3-5 races and that's it. Too much money for me to play that game.

TNB
2005.09.21, 08:49 PM
Haha, the tanks look sweet. I should be able to make it down but I have a work thing scheduled that will be consuming a lot of my time. Also, I want to attend the Paris race in LV and it is 2 weeks before this. Lots o' driving!
International Indoor Championships begins week.
September 21-25, 2005
Stardust Resort & Casino
25,000 sq ft ballroom near main casino

http://www.intchamps.com
http://www.stardustlv.com/site/conventions

TNB
2005.10.18, 02:35 AM
Fraz,
I didn't see you at the Paris Race.