PDA

View Full Version : My Version of the Super Slick Crawler

davkin
2005.08.06, 05:06 PM
I finally got around to working on one of the Super Slick MT's I have. I originally was going to go all out with a four link suspension and custom trans. I got to looking at it again and thinking maybe I didn't need to get so darn extreme to start off. The mono-link suspension actually seems to work quite well. So, I made a quick prototype as you can see in the attached pics. Nevermind the ghetto fab work shown in the photos, it will get better. This was just a quickie to test the idea.

The first thing I needed to do was stretch the wheelbase to 1/24 scale truck size. At first I was going to stretch both the front and the back equally, but then I remembered for climbing ability a shorter link in the front is better. So I just lengthened the rear about 1 5/8", which gave it the nearly perfect 60/40 setup crawlers like. I just used a piece of aluminum tube and glued it to the axle input shaft, then glued a short piece of threaded rod inside the trans ouput yoke, and over that a short, smaller dia. piece of thin walled aluminum tubing and then glued the main piece of aluminum tubing over that.

The next issue was the shocks. The front was sitting way too high to work, so I just cut a few coils out of the springs and that took care of that. I had to make a frame to support the rear shocks, some heavy styrene strips made quick work of that. Now the COG is much, much better. Stock you could blow on the thing and it would tip over.

The next challenge was locking the center diff. I could really come up with a way to lock the mechinism inside that little gear so I just glued both output yokes to the gear and each other, so far it's working.

For tires I'm using some Desert Dogs left over from the days I used to cast urethane tires for OL's. I want to try some of the other styles of tires I used to make so I'll be firing up the pressure chamber again.

The electronics are still stock, I wanted to see how capable it was without any upgrading. I am pleasantly suprised. Since it's low speed driving I don't really miss full propo electronics that much. I would like more power and run time though, so the next mod will be to go to four AAA cells. The electronics can handle it, at least according to another post I saw elsewhere. I was afraid it would be too slow, that's why I originally was planning on a custom trans, but with the bigger tires it's just about fast enough, more juice ought to speed it up some and hoepfully make the servo more powerful as well.

How does it climb? Amazingly well! I was quite suprised at what this thing will climb. I'm very happy with the performance of this little $15 truck with a little modding.

I have some Mini-X electronics that will eventually get installed, I may even look at what it would take to adapt a 130 motor to it. Of course a decent frame will be built eventually. Once you replace the electronics there's no use for the stock tub, so when I get to that point it will be history. The transmission is actually a neatly contained unit with it's own case. It will be a couple weeks before I get to this other stuff, I gotta get back to working on my 1/10 crawler!

David

toyjunker
2005.08.07, 05:17 PM
I finally got around to working on one of the Super Slick MT's I have.
:cool: Very nice. I can't wait to see it with the completed body. Very scale looking tires and wheels.

For tires I'm using some Desert Dogs left over from the days I used to cast urethane tires for OL's. I want to try some of the other styles of tires I used to make so I'll be firing up the pressure chamber again.
Hmmm... would you be up to making some extra sets? Can't wait to see what you trun out. I came on-board well after you were making tires before, I think, and I've only heard rumors of them. The ones in your pics are excellent. Is the compound nice and sticky?

I gotta get back to working on my 1/10 crawler!
I saw your name in a 1/10 forum recenty, but I forget which one. I was *crawling* around looking for inspiration for my Tamiya Mountaineer project.

Keep us posted. That's a cool project. :D

davkin
2005.08.07, 11:04 PM
Very nice. I can't wait to see it with the completed body. Very scale looking tires and wheels.

The wheels come with the Super Slick MT, however it would be easy to cut out the center and replace it with the center from a model kit wheel. I'm hoping to have a full on tilt Super Slick crawler made by the end of the month, complete with the finished body, and hopefully I can include and interior.

Hmmm... would you be up to making some extra sets?

Maybe after I get some cooked up for me and my buddies.

Is the compound nice and sticky?

Oh yea. :D It's similar to the stuff RCM makes tires out of that are for sale here in the shop, or at least have been.

I saw your name in a 1/10 forum recenty,

It was Scale 4X4. You were the last poster to my tube frame thread. I've started a Super Slick thread there as well.

David

toyjunker
2005.08.08, 11:40 AM
You were the last poster to my tube frame thread. I've started a Super Slick thread there as well.
Odd... you sure it was me? What is the site URL? I only remember lurking, not posting. My memory must really going. :confused:

I scoped a Super Slick a while back at Toys R Us and thought seriously about buying, but I put it back on the shelf. I may still have to pick one up... like I need another project. :rolleyes: I just picked up a cheap MR01 and am looking for a good deal on an 02. Plus I still have JNKRNR and now the Mountaineer... wow, this hobby is stressing me out. :p

davkin
2005.08.09, 08:25 PM
Odd... you sure it was me? What is the site URL? I only remember lurking, not posting. My memory must really going

No, it's me that's confused. I don't know where else I saw your screen name, maybe one18th.com?

I may still have to pick one up... like

Well, if you see one don't hesitate to pick it up. I'm afraid these things may be discontinued already. A couple stores here have been out of stock for three weeks, and I just picked up the last one the 3rd store had in stock last week. I hope they restock, I'd like to buy more, but I don't know.

David