PDA

View Full Version : bearing confusion

pimpsmurf
2005.08.13, 08:16 AM
Some places have 10 piece bearing sets, and some places have 9 piece bearing sets. I'm so confused...

It seems the ones with the 5 3x6 bearings are 2.5mm wide (like kyosho I think), and the ones with 6 3x6s are 2mm wide. What gives?? Exactly how many bearings should I have to have a good snug fit on the tires?

*boggle*
-JNY

AaronM
2005.08.18, 09:28 PM
Some places have 10 piece bearing sets, and some places have 9 piece bearing sets. I'm so confused...

It seems the ones with the 5 3x6 bearings are 2.5mm wide (like kyosho I think), and the ones with 6 3x6s are 2mm wide. What gives?? Exactly how many bearings should I have to have a good snug fit on the tires?

*boggle*
-JNY
I can't quite remember what's in the iWaver bearing sets, but I think the difference between 9 and 10 sets is that some places give you a bearing for the outer thingo on the rear axle. The one that doesn't normally spin. It's effectively only there for looks.

A.

pimpsmurf
2005.08.23, 12:33 AM
I can't quite remember what's in the iWaver bearing sets, but I think the difference between 9 and 10 sets is that some places give you a bearing for the outer thingo on the rear axle. The one that doesn't normally spin. It's effectively only there for looks.

A.
Yup. The rear left wheel turns with the axle, so no bearings needed at all on it. they would simply be for looks AFAIK. two on each front tire, and 1 on the outside of the rear right wheel is all that is needed.

-JNY

bda52
2005.08.23, 12:57 AM
Yup. The rear left wheel turns with the axle, so no bearings needed at all on it. they would simply be for looks AFAIK. two on each front tire, and 1 on the outside of the rear right wheel is all that is needed.

-JNY

If the gearbox is similar to the Overlands, then there should also be two tiny bearings in the gearbox also.

3 x 6 x 2.5 mm = 5pc / 4 for front rims, 1 for right rear rim (outer)

4 x 7 x 2.5 mm = 2pc / outer part of gearbox

1.5 x 4 x 2 mm = 2pc / inside of gearbox (used to hold the upper gear)

azzachaz
2005.08.23, 01:52 AM
I have found that using the extra bearing actually tightens up the play in the wheel if you wiggle it. The plastic bearing allows a bit of movement.

pimpsmurf
2005.08.24, 03:28 PM
I have found that using the extra bearing actually tightens up the play in the wheel if you wiggle it. The plastic bearing allows a bit of movement.

Not a 2mm wide bearing. a 2.5mm wide bearing might, but with a locked diff, both rear bearings are useless I think.

Some punks are selling 2mm wide bearings for these things (pn racing and others I think)

-JNY