PDA

View Full Version : Super Slicks MT 1/24 Crawler Conversion Tutorial

davkin
2005.08.21, 03:45 PM
I converted another Super Slicks MT into a 1/24 crawler truck again yesterday and made a tutorial to help others who want to do the same.

http://www.dsao.homestead.com/files/sstut/sstut.htm

David

TuNeR1989
2005.08.24, 12:56 PM
why dont you just lock the center diff?

The gluing with the u joints barely does anything.

davkin
2005.08.25, 01:27 AM
why dont you just lock the center diff?

Do you have a Super Slicks MT? If you do, you don't understand what I'm saying or I don't understand you. There is no way to lock that slipper, at least that I can find. It's inside that teeny spur gear and I see no way to take it apart and get at it without ruining the spur gear. I glue the U-joints directly to the spur gear, so they basically become part of the spur gear. You can't get more locked up than that. The loads involved are so light that I have had no problem with glue joints coming apart.

David

TuNeR1989
2005.08.26, 07:42 AM
Yes there is a way to unlock the center diff.

And of course i own one

I was about the third person that i know of on microrccenter to stretch my ssmt.

Here is a detailed picture of the centered diff. it is under all the electronics in the chassis but its pretty easy to get out.

Heres a good topic with some pics.

http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33069&st=15

You can lock it with lock nuts but i believe superglue works better the slipping has nothing to do with the joints all with the center diff because stock its a ball diff.

http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33940

T-Bolt
2005.08.26, 06:42 PM
I believe I was the first one to actually lock it, and it's quite easy. See, the u-joints hook into steeal washers. Glue them down, and you've beaten the system. Mine works great like that (haven't run it in ages though). I might have to do this conversion with my propo one.

TuNeR1989
2005.08.26, 08:57 PM
Actually i believe viperdoubt was the first one to lock the ssmt but idk doesnt really matter anyways.

Any pics of yours?

T-Bolt
2005.08.26, 09:22 PM
Actually i believe viperdoubt was the first one to lock the ssmt but idk doesnt really matter anyways.

Any pics of yours?

I am viperdout, and you are correct. I'll PM you on BitPimps to prove it.

TuNeR1989
2005.08.26, 10:19 PM
Hey thought it was you after i read the post over and saw propo.
Didnt know you had a z.

T-Bolt
2005.08.26, 10:21 PM
Hey thought it was you after i read the post over and saw propo.
Didnt know you had a z.

Just an IW02.

davkin
2005.08.27, 01:10 PM
Yes there is a way to unlock the center diff. Yes there is a way to unlock the center diff.

Okay, now I know. I do have one that is completely disassembled and I looked at that gear and pried on it a little and I was afraid I would ruin it, so I stopped. I wasn't sure the cover was removable without destroying the gear.

However, I was just showing a quick and dirty way to build up one of these things for some quick and easy fun. To get that little gear out requires complete disassembly and the chance to break something, like it says in the title of my page, it's a "basic" buildup tutorial. Good CA glue holds just fine, there's no reason to disassemble the whole truck to lock the diff unless you think you'll want to later.

David

T-Bolt
2005.08.27, 01:19 PM
Okay, now I know. I do have one that is completely disassembled and I looked at that gear and pried on it a little and I was afraid I would ruin it, so I stopped. I wasn't sure the cover was removable without destroying the gear.

However, I was just showing a quick and dirty way to build up one of these things for some quick and easy fun. To get that little gear out requires complete disassembly and the chance to break something, like it says in the title of my page, it's a "basic" buildup tutorial. Good CA glue holds just fine, there's no reason to disassemble the whole truck to lock the diff unless you think you'll want to later.

David

That's not how you get it out. You need to go topside, pull the covers, u-joints, and motor, servo, then you can lift out the gearbox, which will leave the slipper lying at the bottom of the chassis.

davkin
2005.08.28, 03:01 AM
That's not how you get it out. You need to go topside, pull the covers, u-joints, and motor, servo, then you can lift out the gearbox, which will leave the slipper lying at the bottom of the chassis.

Uh....that's what I said, it requires complete disassembly to get the final spur gear out, (which contains the slipper.). I'm not sure where were miscommunicating here.

But again, my objective was to show a basic tutorial that requires minimal disassembly. Glueing the U-joints directly to the final spur gear while not optimal does the trick without having to take the whole truck apart.

David

T-Bolt
2005.08.28, 01:19 PM
Uh....that's what I said, it requires complete disassembly to get the final spur gear out, (which contains the slipper.). I'm not sure where were miscommunicating here.

But again, my objective was to show a basic tutorial that requires minimal disassembly. Glueing the U-joints directly to the final spur gear while not optimal does the trick without having to take the whole truck apart.

David

Whoops, thought your problem was getting it out. To open it, you need to go to the side that doesn't have the ball setup and twist the fact of it. Here are some pics of the diff apart:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/viperdout/SSMTteardown5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/viperdout/SSMTteardown6.jpg

You don't need to take apart the diff to lock it though. Just drip super glue into the holes while leaving it on a paper towel. It turns it into a great truck.

davkin
2005.08.28, 04:13 PM
You don't need to take apart the diff to lock it though. Just drip super glue into the holes while leaving it on a paper towel. It turns it into a great truck.

I tried that on my first one and it didn't work, but I was using thick CA, so maybe it didn't work it's way in.

David

diets
2005.09.07, 11:22 PM
Great tutorial! Superb work!

I am trying to find a superslick monster in the bay, but no way.

Can anyone help me on my search?

diets - as allways, helpless ;)

davkin
2005.09.08, 08:26 PM
Good luck! They've apparently been discontinued and I'm holding onto all the ones I have.

David