PDA

View Full Version : Custom Themes

arch2b
2005.08.30, 09:07 PM
for those like the salt lake crew and myself, please post information realted to creating custom themes for your core software :) please keep on topic as i would like to keep a few key sticky threads regarding the use of core :cool:

arch2b
2005.08.30, 09:12 PM
the extent of my modifying the theme has been restricted to creating custom backgrounds and othre graphic elements. here is an exmaple, my core theme or main page background

the main page file is;
bg_frame

the properties are;
1024x768 pixels

simply copy the default theme for backup purposes and edit the bg_frame file to your liking.

arch2b
2005.08.30, 09:14 PM
i amde a few others for the other beta testers although i do not know if they ever used them?

arch2b
2005.08.30, 09:16 PM
i even made an initial d theme, or started one atleast :p

briankstan
2005.08.30, 11:40 PM
here is the salt lake mini-z theme page feel free to use as you wish

briankstan
2005.08.30, 11:48 PM
core, would you mind posting all of the availble parameters that you can change in the .themerc file.

here are the ones that were sent to me to change for the widescreen monitor. just add in the .themerc file and customize to meet your spcific screen needs. I know threre are more that just need to be put in.

Window Width = 1024
Window Height = 700

TextDeltaY = 30

Graph Position X = 100
Graph Position Y = 350
Graph Width = 840
Graph Height = 330

in paticular the things like graph color setting for the racers. I was just thinking if someone wanted to go with a lighter color background graphic it would be nice to change some of the colors to a darker color.

thanks

Brian

CoreAnalog
2005.08.31, 12:38 AM
core, would you mind posting all of the availble parameters that you can change in the .themerc file.

in paticular the things like graph color setting for the racers. I was just thinking if someone wanted to go with a lighter color background graphic it would be nice to change some of the colors to a darker color.

thanks

Brian

Here are the rest of the parameters for the graph setup:

Graph Dot Size = 4
Graph Dot Color = #d0cb40
Graph Dot Active = #ffffff
Graph Dot Max = #ff4f11
Graph Dot Min = #2cff2c
Graph Line Width = 2
Graph Line Color = #cbbde1 #ff0000 #00ff00 #0000ff #ffff00 #00ffff
Graph Axis Color = #fffb8e
Graph Max Grid = 8

Once you guys have your custom theme setup, zip the directory up and email the theme to support. We'll include it in the next software release :-) Also, rename the directory to an appropriate name for your theme.

--Core

briankstan
2005.08.31, 12:47 AM
thanks core, I'll email mine once I get all the final adjustment made. I really appreciate your help in getting everything setup just right.

byebye
2005.08.31, 07:09 AM
would it be possible to create the jpg from adobe using a transparent background or not having a backgound. i'm not sure how that works in photoshop but i know you can create graphics with no backgrounds.

With Photo shop you can create layers. Those layers can be moved around or cut and pasted to any background.

-Byebye

arch2b
2005.08.31, 07:27 AM
not sure i follow... what i'd like to do is remove the background from the countdown image files so that i'm left with the numbers that appear to be floating over my background rather than a square with a number in it. i have a few eps files that have no backgrounds and i can place them over any other image or layer, can i do this with jpg's as well?

i've attached a sample of the default theme numbers for refernece only.

i'll have to wait till i get home to get an example of the eps files.

byebye
2005.08.31, 07:37 AM
In photoshop (adobe) you can creat a picture having no background, white, or black. I think you would have to take the jpegs you have and open them with adobe ps then erase and smooth the edges of the numbers then save them. At that point all you should have is the outline of the number instead of the whole square. YGM

-Byebye

HammerZ
2005.08.31, 08:11 AM
I played around with Adobe PD (photo deluxe) when making custom decals, far as layers and whatnot. Also fun for hacking SIMS game graphics. The thing I love is it can use different formats and you can save it as whatever format you want.

briankstan
2005.08.31, 09:13 AM
core,

one other parameter that I would like is the where is displays the frequence on the page when you scan the car in. I would like to move that over so it doesn't run in to my Logo in the right corner.

can you post those parameters?

thanks

Brian

briankstan
2005.08.31, 09:19 AM
not sure i follow... what i'd like to do is remove the background from the countdown image files so that i'm left with the numbers that appear to be floating over my background rather than a square with a number in it. i have a few eps files that have no backgrounds and i can place them over any other image or layer, can i do this with jpg's as well?

i've attached a sample of the default theme numbers for refernece only.

i'll have to wait till i get home to get an example of the eps files.

Let me know if you get this figured out. I'm interested in doing this also. thanks

soyverde
2005.09.01, 09:47 AM
Arch, jpg doesn't support transparencies. You can do as byebye suggested though (erase the unwanted areas), and re-save them as gif, png, etc. If you have to use jpg, your best bet will be to match the background you are overlaying.

byebye
2005.09.01, 10:34 AM
If you have to use jpg, your best bet will be to match the background you are overlaying.

That was my next suggestion.

-Byebye

briankstan
2005.09.01, 10:43 AM
core, is it possible to use other file formats at the countdown? if so can you let us know how to achive that.

Thanks

CoreAnalog
2005.09.01, 10:45 AM
core,

one other parameter that I would like is the where is displays the frequence on the page when you scan the car in. I would like to move that over so it doesn't run in to my Logo in the right corner.

can you post those parameters?

thanks

Brian

I believe it's put into the position set by "Show Lag X".

--Core

arch2b
2005.09.01, 06:55 PM
core, is it possible to use other file formats at the countdown? if so can you let us know how to achive that.

Thanks
excellent question. please support file formats that allow transparencies if at all possible. this would allow so much more creative license for people to modify themes.

CoreAnalog
2005.09.01, 09:56 PM
excellent question. please support file formats that allow transparencies if at all possible. this would allow so much more creative license for people to modify themes.

The current release only supports jpg format. But, I think we can easily add support for gif and png.

--Core

imxlr8ed
2005.09.12, 11:25 AM
Dorks test theme... must draw more... must draw more... :rolleyes:

Damn... won't upload ! Oh well.

Gotta find racecar sounds now... Cya !

Twenty-Se7en
2005.09.13, 06:39 AM
Too bad I don't have the software yet, I could get some real good themes rolling out... The countdown number could be easy, you would just have to take the portion of the image that you want it to overlay and use that as a background to the number.

If it would be possible to get the software for some theme development I could create professional themes for hobby stores or for Core's next release.

Contact Kristian,
ifgoneleaveamessage@yahoo.ca
(Owner of Visual ImPulse Media)

imxlr8ed
2005.09.13, 12:39 PM
:confused: Arch... your bgframe is 1024 x 768 ? But.. Brian's and ours is 1024 x 550... I modded the exact file Core supplied, gasman loaded it up and said he had to "stretch it ", kinda screwy now... I'm a little lost here, as usual.

briankstan
2005.09.13, 12:46 PM
:confused: Arch... your bgframe is 1024 x 768 ? But.. Brian's and ours is 1024 x 550... I modded the exact file Core supplied, gasman loaded it up and said he had to "stretch it ", kinda screwy now... I'm a little lost here, as usual.

I beleive it really doen't matter as long as the bigframe.jpg is the same size or smaller than the screen that you are displaying.

if you customize the bigframe.jpg with a custom background you actually want it to fill the whole screen. in my case I changed the background color to match that of my custom .jpg so when I expand to full screen it looks all the same. So you will want to size your background to the size that you plan on displying the program.

Brian

p.s. thanks imxlr8ed, for emailing those files to me.

imxlr8ed
2005.09.13, 02:30 PM
O.k... I understand now. Thanks Brian !

No prob !

arch2b
2005.09.13, 08:04 PM
yeah, mine was a modified file from a previous software release so it probably had different size. mine works fine though :p

imxlr8ed
2005.09.14, 11:23 AM
:confused: Curious... message_0.wav... Where is this actually played in the program ? When played it says "you suck" (or I'm hearing it wrong)... very hard to hear though ! (Core, you might want to get rid of that in the future :D )

Also, because some of the voices are very hard to hear, I loaded in my own generic voices, computer generated here:

http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html

This site is way too much fun, you type it in, it says it ! You can save them as wav files as well ! (I love typing in jive talk... sounds hilarious !)

arch2b
2005.09.14, 07:46 PM
nice find imx :p

baldrick
2005.09.15, 05:15 PM
I’m running my monitor at 1024 x 768. I’ve got my Start-up Screen setup and customized nicely. But on the Race Setup Screen the “Play” and “Record” buttons are very close to the bottom of the screen with part of the buttons hidden. But there’s plenty of room above the top “Event” entry box.

How can I reposition this page?

The Start-up screen is really very customizable but I can’t see where I can make adjustments to the other pages. I see on Brian’s review that additional commands have been made with respect to Graph Positions etc. so maybe other adjustments are available.

Any help appreciated!

Keith…

briankstan
2005.09.15, 05:25 PM
I’m running my monitor at 1024 x 768. I’ve got my Start-up Screen setup and customized nicely. But on the Race Setup Screen the “Play” and “Record” buttons are very close to the bottom of the screen with part of the buttons hidden. But there’s plenty of room above the top “Event” entry box.

How can I reposition this page?

The Start-up screen is really very customizable but I can’t see where I can make adjustments to the other pages. I see on Brian’s review that additional commands have been made with respect to Graph Positions etc. so maybe other adjustments are available.

Any help appreciated!

Keith…

add this line into the .themerc file

TextDeltaY = 30

it will adjust the distance between the text and alow the page to display everything. I was doing that on my widescreen monitor on my laptop and this fixed it.

Brian

baldrick
2005.09.15, 05:45 PM
add this line into the .themerc file

TextDeltaY = 30

it will adjust the distance between the text and alow the page to display everything. I was doing that on my widescreen monitor on my laptop and this fixed it.

Brian

I used TextDeltaY = 35 : Perfect for my disply.

Thanks for your quick reply and help.

Keith...

baldrick
2005.09.15, 10:21 PM
I thought I'd share my work on the custom Core screen.

This is the first time I've posted a link to an image, so if it doesn't work give me some help.

Keith..

Core Screen (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=351&cat=500&page=1)

briankstan
2005.09.15, 11:20 PM
that looks great, I like how you did the car photos, and the little tools below the menus at the top.

Brian

baldrick
2005.09.17, 02:27 PM
I've done more work to my custom theme. The background screen image is of the new Nissan 350Z Calsonic MR02.

Core Screen v2 (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=352&size=big&cat=513)

Keith...

baldrick
2005.09.18, 12:09 PM
My system continues to work faultlessly, great job Core!

I really like the ability to customize the screen look. On the Racer Stats screen there is a scroll box where you can see each lap time etc. The Speed column reports for example “7.04mph/1,1”

1. How can I make the box a little wider to eliminate the horizontal scroll bar?

2. What is the significance of the “1,1” in the speed column?

You can see what I mean in the screen shot below.

Racer Stats Screen (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=353&cat=513&page=1)

Keith…

CoreAnalog
2005.09.18, 04:56 PM
My system continues to work faultlessly, great job Core!

I really like the ability to customize the screen look. On the Racer Stats screen there is a scroll box where you can see each lap time etc. The Speed column reports for example “7.04mph/1,1”

1. How can I make the box a little wider to eliminate the horizontal scroll bar?

2. What is the significance of the “1,1” in the speed column?

You can see what I mean in the screen shot below.

Racer Stats Screen (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=353&cat=513&page=1)

Keith…

Keith,

The 1,1 means "measured from Core#1 to Core#1". If you have more Core systems, you'll get speed readings between the different sections of the track :-) I'll have to check whether or not you can change that window width.

--Core

rlc77
2005.12.24, 10:39 AM
baldrick...... Do you mind if I ask where you acquired your car images? I'm customizing my software and I like the way yours turned out. Thanks in advance.

techno
2005.12.24, 11:35 AM
baldrick...... Do you mind if I ask where you acquired your car images? I'm customizing my software and I like the way yours turned out. Thanks in advance.
is there anyone out there making some of their images availible to share i personly need lots more practice at taking pics i stink at it

arch2b
2005.12.24, 01:09 PM
you can grab images from the parts gallery and crop them.

my library files are still lacking many vechiles as well

rlc77
2005.12.26, 08:16 AM
I'm still working on this, but I thought I would go ahead and post these. Not Dazzling but I like it.

Dusty Weasle
2006.01.14, 05:04 AM
I finally finished customizing my Core system, and now I’ll share the files with you. (Many of you already designed some very nice themes, but you may find the car tags or announcer files useful).

Theme:
The theme graphics are classic car, with metallic red fleck and chrome trim. The pictures below show a couple screens (shrunk and compressed, the flecks are sharp at full res), and show the AZGT Championship logo for our local club. The download has a blank version.

The countdown lights operate in a Formula 1 style.

Car Tags:
I created car images for every retail combination of make, model, and color that I could find in the Kyosho inventory (134 car combos). These tags include the car type in the image, so you always know ‘what car is that?”. (I sometimes had to resort to real car images).

I only created tags for road race and F1 cars. Sorry, no Overlanders.

Voices:
Using the AT&T Voice to Text web site, I created announcements for “X sets fast time” and “X takes the lead”. These can be swapped out with the sound files in the Lib\Racers directory. There is a set for every car tag image (“The Gulf McLaren takes the lead”), plus generic versions (“The McLaren takes the lead”). The lap 'beep' has been edited in.

I also updated the announcer voice for race control such as ‘3min warning’, ‘Green flag’, etc. The start and finish of the race is heralded with cheering crowds and air horns.

Tracks:
I created track selection images for our AZGT tracks and HFAY #1-6. The included Tracks.db is updated with the tracks in the ‘Custom’ section. The images include the centerline distance for easy setup in Core.

There is also a ‘Screen-Res’ directory of the pretty pictures, and a ‘For Print’ directory with printer-friendly map views that won’t melt your ink cartridge.

Bonus:
In all these categories I included my source art (PSD format) and source sounds to make it easier for you to make any changes you like.

Because I’m such a caring person, I’ve provided several options for download:
(Note: Each file has a copy of the ‘Owner’s Manual’ with details about the files).
(Another Note: They are in ZIP format, but better to use WinRar as it will retain the subdirectory structure).

The whole shootin’ match (75.1mb):
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/core_all_themevoicetracks.zip

Or individually-

Theme graphics only (13.2mb):
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/core_theme_redfleck.zip

Car graphics only (13.3mb):
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/core_cartags.zip

Voices only (44.0mb):
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/core_voices.zip

Track images only (4.46mb):
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/tracks_screenres.zip

Enjoy. :cool:

rlc77
2006.01.14, 05:38 AM
WOW.......How sweet is this? Thank You very much, Dusty. I'll be playing with these files for sure. :D

rlc77
2006.01.14, 06:31 AM
Dusty, I'm getting several errors about corrupt files while unzipping these files. I downloaded the large file and the smaller ones and the only one that didn't error was the track pic file. I used different download managers and attempted to unzip them with WinRAR and WinZip, but received errors everytime. FYI :eek:

Twenty-Se7en
2006.01.14, 09:22 AM
nice theme ... now that there are transparencies in the core program I am sure that there will be some even nicer themes overall.

arch2b
2006.01.14, 02:32 PM
dusty, if the corrupted file issues are resolved, let me know and i'll download everything today!! from what i saw, it looks awsome!

btw, could you email me as well? ;)

i hope you emailed all this to core as well so it can be inlcuded in a future upgrade :p

gasman1
2006.01.14, 05:36 PM
That's some really nice work you have done there DW. Even nicer you are willing to share your work with the rest of us. Thanks! :D

Dusty Weasle
2006.01.14, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone. It was a lot of image and sound editing, but it was fun.

I downloaded ‘The whole shootin’ match’ and did get one bad file. I don’t know what caused it. I used WinRAR at my work computer and compressed out to ZIP format file for wider availability.

I unzipped it at home using WinZIP 8.1. Turns out it creates the correct subdirectories after all. The one bad file was “350Z_FastTime.wav”, so I’ll just attach it here for a temporary fix.

So, until I can figure out the problem, safer to just download the big file. It’s pumped over our T1 anyway, so hopefully it won’t be too slow.

If anyone tries the smaller files anyway, be aware the ‘Race Control’ announcer voice files (countdown, race finish, etc) are in the Theme Graphics Only download. The Voice Only download is just the car calls (oops :o ).

I was looking at the screen shots again and the metal fleck took the brunt of the compression. Here’s a small 1:1 reasonably uncompressed sample of red fleck for a better idea of what it looks like.

arch2b
2006.01.14, 10:42 PM
dusty, i downloaded the large file and when unzipping, i continually get an error

"can not open file: it does not appear to be a valid file"

arch2b
2006.01.14, 10:55 PM
i get teh same error with the core voices file as well...

Dusty Weasle
2006.01.15, 03:00 AM
Ok, weird stuff is afoot with the work server, but I’ve got a work-around solution.

I removed the ZIP files since they’re not working, and simple put up the uncompressed directory tree. Go to
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/
Right click on “CoreThemes” and then “Copy to Folder”. It took about 26min to download the whole thing from the work server T1, over Cox cable to my home PC.

I verified that all expected files successfully download, and near as I can tell they are error free. So this should be good to go.

An up side to this is you can select any directory or single file you want if you don’t need the whole thing.

A down side is for some reason all the file names are being switch to lower case. I’m a big fan of using caps to make file names more readable.

Now about the problem with the ZIP files:
As a test I unzipped the big file on my work PC (no download) and there was no problem. I downloaded the file to my home PC and got errors, so it’s a transmission problem at the work server end. I’ll talk to our IT guys on Monday to try and get it resolved. Sorry for all the fuss. (Whew!)

arch2b
2006.01.15, 08:33 AM
what os are you using? or what browser? i do not have a "copy to folder" option when right clicking and i would have to "save target as" for each individual file

rlc77
2006.01.15, 09:39 AM
Got 'em.....I used an FTP client. :D

Thanks Again, DW

arch2b
2006.01.15, 10:30 AM
Got 'em.....I used an FTP client. :D

Thanks Again, DW
works like a charm so far :p thanks for the tip

Twenty-Se7en
2006.01.15, 12:05 PM
Running Firefox 1.5 I downloaded them and they were both perfect.

arch2b
2006.01.15, 12:09 PM
sorry to jump topics but anyone with photoshop skills: can you modify title bar text and change background layer to something i provide? i absolutley love this theme only would like to replace the background layer and title bar text to fit our club naturally. i would even like to add the dusty weasle icon (blk/wht) as a gesture of thanks for making all this. anyone up for this? i suck with adobe and my program is toast (lost resource disc too).

rlc77
2006.01.15, 12:14 PM
sorry to jump topics but anyone with photoshop skills: can you modify title bar text and change background layer to something i provide? i absolutley love this theme only would like to replace the background layer and title bar text to fit our club naturally. i would even like to add the dusty weasle icon (blk/wht) as a gesture of thanks for making all this. anyone up for this? i suck with adobe and my program is toast (lost resource disc too).
I can help ya out Arch.

Email me.... rlc@hippygeek.com

arch2b
2006.01.15, 12:21 PM
I can help ya out Arch.

Email me.... rlc@hippygeek.com
email sent. so as to not hijack the thread please continue any correspondence regarding this to email ;)

Goosebag
2006.03.01, 06:52 PM
Ok, weird stuff is afoot with the work server, but I’ve got a work-around solution.

I removed the ZIP files since they’re not working, and simple put up the uncompressed directory tree. Go to
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/
Right click on “CoreThemes” and then “Copy to Folder”. It took about 26min to download the whole thing from the work server T1, over Cox cable to my home PC.

Are these files still available? I tried going to the FTP site, but it isn't allowing anonymous access. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Travis

rlc77
2006.03.01, 07:59 PM
Are these files still available? I tried going to the FTP site, but it isn't allowing anonymous access. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
TravisHere ya go.......
:)

http://rapidshare.de/files/14473405/Core.zip.html

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.01, 09:45 PM
Thanks rlc77. :)

We just went through some big domain migration thing and our network hasn't been quite right since. They’re still working out some bugs. I dunno what’s up with the anonymous login. I’ll ask our IT guys tomorrow.

rlc77
2006.03.01, 09:53 PM
Thanks rlc77. :)

My pleasure. It's a great theme. The starting lights rock!!!

Thanks to you for designing it. :D

Goosebag
2006.03.01, 10:11 PM
Thanks a ton Dusty and rlc77! I really appreciate the effort and helpfulness from you both. I tried working on my own theme, and I'm just a total hack in photoshop. No way I could come up with something as nice as the redfleck theme! :D

Dusty Weasle
2006.03.06, 09:37 PM
The problem was as I thought, a hiccup with our FTP from the domain migration. It appears to be working again. Since there were download problems at various points in this thread, I want to consolidate it here:

From my work FTP. There was a problem moving large compressed files so I’ve had to post them loose. Go to this link to copy individual uncompressed folders:
(In IE right-click on the directory and select ‘Copy to Folder’)
ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/misc/CoreThemes/

rlc77 also has the Zipped up files at:
http://rapidshare.de/files/14473405/Core.zip.html

Incase you missed it in another thread, check out the attached image to see the DC GTG theme. It’s a variation on the red fleck ‘Classic Car’ theme. It’s shrunk down a lot for posting so the finer details of the top bar blurred together, but you get the idea.

rlc77
2006.03.06, 09:50 PM
In case you missed it in another thread, check out the attached image to see the DC GTG theme. It’s a variation on the red fleck ‘Classic Car’ theme. It’s shrunk down a lot for posting so the finer details of the top bar blurred together, but you get the idea.Very nice work, DW.

arch2b
2006.03.07, 06:54 PM
beautiful isn't it :p i also have it set as the wallpaper on all 3 of my computers :)

rharris
2006.04.01, 02:54 AM
Hi Dusty,

I started the download and then got cut off.

Is there a limit on bandwith?

Hope I can get this stuff. I just got my core system and I'm trying to learn as much as I can by race time this sunday.

Lot's to figure out, but I'm getting there.

Thanks

rlc77
2006.04.01, 03:55 AM
My previous link to the files is dead from inactivity, so I uploaded it again.

Here's the new link.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16930428/Core.zip.html

Hope that helps.

rharris
2006.04.02, 04:09 AM
Thanks that did it.

Now I need a how to on running a race. I've got my first race tomorrow (oh... today) with this thing. I've been playing with it all day and I think I've got it down, but it's going to be different with 20 people all wanting to race.

Wish I had more time to figure it out. Or a how to manual.

Has anyone done a How To for running a race with this system?

Dusty Weasle
2006.04.02, 05:34 AM
Yep, our server is down again, I can't even check e-mail. I’ve never seen it have this much trouble. Glad you were able to get it from rlc77 (thanks again).

There is a manual PDF in the Core install somewhere, it’ll give you a vague idea of what to do. You’ll just need to take some time and experiment.

You need to use the Manage tab to create your race event, work with that first. And once an event is created, don’t forget to set it up under the Setup tab. From there I just handle Qualifying and Main manually by writing the info down. We only have a few people in our club.

The event management has a lot of features that would benefit a large club, but you’ll have to take some time to learn it.

Also, don’t forget to read the “OwnersManual.txt” I included in the files, it’ll help you find the files you need to assign car names to the different drivers (not necessary to run an event, but it elicits a crowd response when a female British voice calls out “The Silver McLaren takes the lead”).

Core has a lot of quirks and features to wrangle and if you’ve only had a few hours to look it over it could get messy. Don’t sweat it, once you get it setup the way you like its great.

It just occurred to me, I’m running the older version that uses jpg. The new V1.1 uses png, so my Theme may not work unless you convert the files. Yeah, big nuisance, I wish it supported both.

Good luck and I hope it all works out.

arch2b
2006.04.02, 09:28 AM
Thanks that did it.

Now I need a how to on running a race. I've got my first race tomorrow (oh... today) with this thing. I've been playing with it all day and I think I've got it down, but it's going to be different with 20 people all wanting to race.

Wish I had more time to figure it out. Or a how to manual.

Has anyone done a How To for running a race with this system?
there is a thread on this already which gives good direction

rharris
2006.04.03, 01:09 AM
there is a thread on this already which gives good direction

Yea, I found this one today...

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19211

Thanks

Dusty Weasle
2007.05.25, 04:31 AM
Here's the latest update for my CORE themes. This time I split it up into smaller chunks.

ftp://ftp.rainbowstudios.com/Misc/Mini-Z/CORE

(Attached is a shrunk and compressed version of the “Race” theme screen without any data on it)

The “IconAndSound_*.rar” files contain the car icons (jpg) and audio call-out (wav) files for all cars of the listed manufacturer.

This includes many of the new cars like the Stock Cars (NASCAR). I also included the Overlands this time. In all there was something like 209 cars represented (some are the same car with a different color or sponsor). It's still not a complete list of Autoscales, but its close.

“Tracks.rar” contains a bunch of track icons for the CORE system. It has all of the HFAY/OLPS tracks, plus all of the larger layouts from Mini-AZ.

“Tracks_ScreenAndPrint.rar” contains these same tracks in larger screen-res format (the pretty pictures I have posted in the past) and printer-friendly top-down view line drawings. Thin line black&white to save you ink.

(Speaking of saving ink, a riddle for you: How are cars and printers alike?... Answer at bottom of page)

“Themes_Tall.rar” is my latest set of related themes. They are like the previous one (the red fleck and chrome), except formated vertically to take advantage of higher resolution screens. These are 1024x1010 (fits my laptop at max resolution).

Now here's the trick- There are three themes, Practice, Qualify, and Race. Each has a different color and has different announcer voice or call-outs. So during practice you select the “Practice” theme, and a male voice calls out Practice start and later 'Practice ends in three minutes', and such. When its time to race, Select the “Race” theme and get race related call-outs from the AT&T “Audry” voice.

(Answer: It's cheaper to buy a new one when the tank runs out)

Dusty Weasle
2007.06.01, 11:32 PM
The previous image doesn't quite show what you get with the above theme, so attached here is a combo showing the Practice, Qualify, and Race themes. It also has some of the car icons. The tall format allows you to display 11 cars before going to the 'half size' icons.

The AZGT logo is not on the downloaded themes, that space is blank as in the previous image. This is what they look like on my screen.

arch2b
2007.06.02, 08:04 PM
can you explain how to install the tall theme, where to place the icon and sound files?

for example, soo many people run various bodies across alot of chassis types it makes storing images by chassis type problematic for the racers. i have to copy all the files to each chassis type so they are all selectable from which ever chassis type is chosen.

Dusty Weasle
2007.06.03, 07:09 PM
Here is a guide for setting up the Theme files listed above:

This is based on the older v0.5 software. The new software I think has a slightly different directory structure. You would also need to change the JPGs to PNGs. I for one don't feel like reinstalling Windows just to update my lap counter software. :rolleyes:

*** Setting up the Themes

The idea here is you have three related themes. Each session screen is different and the voice call-outs (“Practice is over”, etc) are different.
Place the three themes in the 'Themes' directory.

CoreSpeedway\
..... Themes\
.......... Practice_Theme\
.......... Qualify_Theme\
.......... Race_Theme\

To save memory and download speed, Practice and Qualify contain only the relevant files for that category, Race has everything. Copy all the files from 'Race_Theme' except the below files...

BG_Frame.jpg
BG_Race.jpg
Countdown_0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10.wav
Warn_0, 1, 2, 3_Min.wav
(Note: Practice and Qualify do not have a Countdown_6.wav. It's just how the voice timing worked out. They DO use Countdown_6.jpg, which is part of the Start Lights display).

... and Paste copies into 'Practice_Theme' and 'Qualify_Theme'. (DO NOT OVERWRITE any files. The three directories will have files of the same name. Can't be helped, its just how the software works).

Now you have three themes. When the track is open for a Practice Session, Select “Practice_Theme” in the CORE setup menu. Set a time limit, then the drivers can run practice laps and get timing data when done. Same for Qualify and Race. The call-outs change to reflect the session being run.
(Ex: “Standby to being the practice session”, “Qualifying is over in three minutes”, “Chequered flag, all drivers return to the pit area”)

*** Car Icons and Voice Call-Outs

To setup the Car Icons (Remember, this is a little different if you have the new software):
Place all the JPGs into

CoreSpeedway\
..... Lib\
.......... Cars\
...............Mini-Z\ *
* I just put them all in one directory. Far easier to find everything. You can segregate them into separate categories if you like.
If you create a new 'category' as shown here, you need to edit the “Class.db” file in the root of Cars\. Simply use WordPad to add the directory name to the .DB file.

Here is the voice sorting trick- Put all the car WAV files into a new directory:

CoreSpeedway\
..... Voices\ (or whatever you want to call it. It's just for the user, the software doesn't read this.)
The car voices are all “*_Fast.wav” and “*_Lead.wav”. Obviously these are “The Gulf McLaren sets fast time” or “The Vauxhall takes the lead”.

Now this is how you prepare the files for quick and easy changes when drivers go changing bodies on you:

1. Create directories for each of your drivers here:

CoreSpeedway\
..... Racers\
.......... Dusty Weasle\
.......... Saiyan\
(etc for all tags)

2. For each driver, create a subdirectory for each body he runs:

CoreSpeedway\
..... Racers\
.......... Dusty Weasle\
............... Gulf McLaren\
............... Rainbow Studios McLaren\
............... Vauxhall\
.......... Saiyan\
............... 360 Modena\
............... Ford Focus\

3. Copy the relevant audio files (*_Fast.wav, *_Lead.wav) into the subdirectories and change the names to match their long string name that is read by CORE. Note “vehicle_Lead” = “string_1” and “vehicle_Fast” = “string_2”.

CoreSpeedway\
..... Racers\
......................... (The files for all drivers read by CORE, i.e. “c0600270010a4c7d_1.wav”)
.......... Dusty Weasle\
............... Gulf McLaren\
......................... e0070000071d2d3a_1.wav
......................... e0070000071d2d3a_2.wav
............... Rainbow Studios McLaren\
............... Vauxhall\
.......... Saiyan\
............... 360 Modena\
......................... c0600270010a4c7d_1.wav
......................... c0600270010a4c7d_2.wav
............... Ford Focus\
......................... c0600270010a4c7d_1.wav
......................... c0600270010a4c7d_2.wav

When a driver changes a body, just copy the “string_*.wav” from the appropriate subdirectory and paste it into the “Racers\” directory. Boom, CORE will call the correct car type. Don't forget to change the icon picture from within CORE however. You'll need to re-save that data to the Tag over the timing loop for the correct car picture to show up.

*** Track Icons

Copy the contents of “Tracks.rar” into

CoreSpeedway\
..... Lib\
.......... Tracks\

You'll then have to edit “Tracks.db” in the root of Tracks\. Use WordPad to edit the file.

Add lines in this format...
HFAY #1 | custom | 0.682 | HFAY_Track01.jpg
... changing the track name to what you want it to display as, and the JPG it points to.

“Tracks_ScreenAndPrint.rar” contains larger screen-resolution pretty pictures, and printer-friendly black&white line drawing track maps. Put them where you want, CORE doesn't read them. They are for user convenience.

soulstice
2007.11.20, 05:46 PM
Dusty,

Where can I get the latest zip of your work? I tried the FTP above but it's asking for a password.

Dusty Weasle
2007.11.21, 12:20 AM
Yeah. I just discovered last week that they turned off the open access to our work FTP. I'd email them to you but its about 46meg of files.

If you can wait until the first week of December (I'm away from work) I can have IT set up a temporary passworded account and you can download it then.

I've been trying to get the Mini-AZ site back up (changing ownership) for awhile now. Once I get that done I'll try and have all my files available there. But that is still some time away.

arch2b
2007.11.21, 08:23 AM
email david as he offered to host the files.

Dusty Weasle
2007.11.21, 11:42 PM
Excellent! I'll send him the password also to upload to MZR when I get back.

Dusty Weasle
2007.12.12, 08:57 PM
I sent out the download address last week to Tiny and Soulstice. Has David downloaded the files yet for posting?

Dusty Weasle
2008.11.19, 11:55 PM
I finally got around to updating the Mini-AZ club site with all those CORE files I made.

Fancy theme files for Practice, Qualifying, and Race with difference audio for each. Comprehensive car icons and audio (up through April 2007). And all the HFAY tracks for CORE and print maps (up through 2008), plus all our large layouts as well.

http://www.mini-az.com/downloadscore.html

briankstan
2008.11.20, 08:07 AM
I finally got around to updating the Mini-AZ club site with all those CORE files I made.

Fancy theme files for Practice, Qualifying, and Race with difference audio for each. Comprehensive car icons and audio (up through April 2007). And all the HFAY tracks for CORE and print maps (up through 2008), plus all our large layouts as well.

http://www.mini-az.com/downloadscore.html

Sweet !! I'll download them when I get home. :cool:

cowboysir
2008.11.22, 12:18 PM
DW,

Thanks for all the extra work done on the Core system...but I'd liek to get some more help if possible.

1.Is there some way i can find out which version of the program I have if I got my version off a burnt copy?

2. I'd like to update my version with some of your car and theme information but since I'm super nooby when it comes to computers I was hoping I might get a bit more direction. Your how to.pdf gives me a general idea but I need more detail if that's possible...

Long story short, i'm stupid and need help.:D

Dusty Weasle
2008.11.23, 02:11 AM
I haven't fired up my CORE system in awhile (we use AMB now), so I'm doing this from memory. I don't remember offhand if CORE displays a version number on startup, but check the loading screen. There might be something in the Help/About tab (if there even is one, I don't recall). There's likely some txt type file in the directory that says the version number.

If the existing car icons are JPG then its probably the old v0.5 software. If they're PNGs then its newer v1.1. I don't know much about v1.1 so I can't help you much there. Brian knows more about that.

Upgrading required a full reinstall of Windows (!?!?!), and I just wasn't going that far to upgrade something that already worked. Maybe someday.

What part of the car icons do you need help with? (Remember if you're running v1.1 the directory structure will be a little different).

Unfortunately the cars are only up-to-date through early '07. There's been a great many new bodies released or are on the way. This is a good situation coming from Kyosho, but I just don't have the time to keep up with it.

briankstan
2008.11.23, 11:46 AM
one thing to note. if you have the latest version of core you will need to convert the .jpg files to .png files.

the only real difference is the way the Racer folder is structured. the first version used the racer folder as the only folder, in the new version there are seperate folders for the and the names are the UID of the core tag.

inside the folder is an info file that is written when you scan a tag. if you want the auido for that tag you have to copy the files that you want played for that tag into that folder. the stucture for the audio is:

0.wav (name)
1.wav (Takes the Lead)
2.wav (Sets Fast Lap)

I created files with names so it would read out "Brian" for the name "Brian Takes the Lead" and "Brian Sets Fast Lap" as those tags are triggered.

if you see my video of my time trial you will be able to hear it call out the fast laps as I set them. also at the end is will say "In First Place: Brian" it will do this for all tags that have audio file in them.

arch2b
2008.11.23, 12:32 PM
anyone have a link for creating spoken voice files for names?
nevermind, in the old software, the racers are just stored as a bunch of core tag numbers. do we rename the wave files to match the core tag numbers and keep them in the racer folder?

briankstan
2008.11.23, 12:52 PM
anyone have a link for creating spoken voice files for names?
nevermind, in the old software, the racers are just stored as a bunch of core tag numbers. do we rename the wave files to match the core tag numbers and keep them in the racer folder?

rename the wave files and just keep them in the same folder with all the tags.

if memory serves it is the uid_0.wav, uid_1.wav & uid_2.wav (uid being the tag #)

here is the text to speech that I have been using. I use the Crystal ... US English voice.

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

arch2b
2008.11.23, 12:57 PM
awsome, thanks. i'm going to try to use this feature this coming season

briankstan
2008.11.23, 02:15 PM
awsome, thanks. i'm going to try to use this feature this coming season

I've been using it for years, I hook up a stereo to my computer and it's the next best thing to having someone announce the race. it calls out the lead changes and the fast laps during the race. it will also call out the 3,2 & 1 minute warnings.

arch2b
2008.11.23, 02:22 PM
i enable the director feature but we have never used racer names as part of the feature. this way everyone will get real time race performance feedback. in general, we have been using core at in it's basic form and have not yet tapped into many of the features. we are however going to discontinue using the vehicle make/model images/tag data as we all tend to change cars around and it rarely gets corrected on the tags and becomes distracting at events where we use projectors.

fyi, i highly recommend using projectors as it gives everyone a chance to see/participate in the race.

can we use personal pictures for people? if so, what do i need to modify in terms of class/racer data to be able to select images from the drop down menu?

briankstan
2008.11.23, 03:51 PM
can we use personal pictures for people? if so, what do i need to modify in terms of class/racer data to be able to select images from the drop down menu?

you can create a gallery of photos for the pictures. they would be need to be sized at 100 x 100 for the large and 50 x 50 for the small. (considering if you want the square). the standard size is 200 x 100 & 100 x 50.

what you would do is create a folder in the under cars and simply call it "Photos"

then for the names just use this .... Photo-Name.png for the large & Photo-Name-z1.png (or .jpg if you are using the old version of core)