PDA

View Full Version : Installation Problem on Win XP Pro

Maxfield
2005.09.07, 07:28 AM
I just got the system yesterday and am setting it up. I've tried installing the software on my laptop and desktop PC's both have the most up to date systems of XP Pro and XP Home edition respectively. I've got it to recognize the hardware just fine, but even with the hardware present or not, the program will start up long enough to show the Blue boxed Core Speedway credit and then closes back to the desktop after about 5 -10 seconds. It never makes it towhere I can see any of the program screens.

I've tried starting it up from the exe file and a shortcut and have exhausted all the compatability modes and 256 color options to run the program in. The version I downloaded was the one directed by Corenalogs email as of a couple of days ago which is version 1.01.

Any help with installation?

Thanks in advance.

Maxfield
2005.09.07, 08:18 AM
Hmm. Well, I tried restarting = no joy; and then reinstalling and rebooting = still no joy. Program still quits before starting up and the hardware light doesn't even flash like the manual says it should, although the device manager says it's OK. The hardware seems OK, it's the software that's having problems. Installer says version 1.0.1.0

I think I need to manually configure the "port switch" as it briefly mentions in the pdf manual. My hardware is on com3.

Does anybody know how to do this?

CoreAnalog
2005.09.07, 10:37 AM
Hmm. Well, I tried restarting = no joy; and then reinstalling and rebooting = still no joy. Program still quits before starting up and the hardware light doesn't even flash like the manual says it should, although the device manager says it's OK. The hardware seems OK, it's the software that's having problems. Installer says version 1.0.1.0

I think I need to manually configure the "port switch" as it briefly mentions in the pdf manual. My hardware is on com3.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Run the command "coreracer.exe -port 3"

--Core

Maxfield
2005.09.07, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Core.
However, you need to be more specific.
When I open the Run command in the Start menu, I get a dialog box that says Open: ____________.

If I type in: coreracer.exe -port 3
I get: Windows cannot find 'coreracer.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

If I type in: "coreracer.exe -port 3"
I get the same error.

If I type in: core-racer.exe -port 3
I get the same error

If I type in: "core-racer.exe -port 3"
I get the same error.

If type in: "C:\Program Files\CoreSpeedway\core-racer.exe -port 3"
I get the same error

If I type in: C:\Program Files\CoreSpeedway\core-racer.exe -port 3
I get the same error.

If I change the name of the exe file from core-racer.exe to core-racer.exe -port 3, I get an unusable file that no longer acts as an exe file but asks me what program I want to open the file with to run it.

The path to the installed file and exe program is:
C:\Program Files\CoreSpeedway\core-racer.exe
and typing that in will do the same thing by dropping back to the desktop before reaching the main screen.

So, for those of us less savvy XP users, what to I need to do EXACTLY, to make the program start up.

Thanks.

briankstan
2005.09.07, 02:32 PM
You have to have the Timing system attached to the computer for the software to start up.

give that a try

Maxfield
2005.09.07, 02:55 PM
It is. Still no joy. I think the autodetect feature of the software isn't recognizing the hardware.

briankstan
2005.09.07, 03:07 PM
have you tried using a different USB port? I wan't able to get it to run off of my front USB, but when I plugged it into the USB port on the back it fired right up.

did you try plugging in both of the plugs? maybe your not getting enough power?
i have finicky usb ports on my old pc. the usb 2.0 pci card ports work fine but th integrated usb ports on the pc don't.

max, mine was ahipped with a usb cord that has 2 ends, a grey and red output leads. the red one does not work. i have to use the grey end to plug in the usb extension cable to. i don't know what the production units were shipped with so i don't know if that helps or not.

the pdf manual had instruction i thought for configuring the port number for the device but i've never tried that not paid much attention to it.

sorry brian.... not sure how my post ended up in yours :confused:

Maxfield
2005.09.07, 04:32 PM
Yeah I've got 2 USB ports and plugged it into both of those.

briankstan
2005.09.07, 04:54 PM
Are they USB 1 or USB 2 ports? I believe it shouldn't matter, but you never know.

Have you reinstalled the program? Maybe there was a problem with your download.

I have installed on both my laptop and my desktop and it worked on both.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Brian

Maxfield
2005.09.08, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the efforts Brian -

My USB ports are 2.0 The second (red) USB is only to transmit extra power if one port alone isn't sufficient.

There is a AC adapter plug on the back of the silver box. I wonder if that would help. Anyone know what the specs are for the adapter (how many volts and amperage etc.)

Still hoping someone knows how to specify the ports setting, I'm hoping that will cure the problem, but I don't know how to do it.

baldrick
2005.09.08, 06:03 AM
Maxfield,

My system works perfectly with the standard setup.

To try and help you out I've tried every "command line parameter" change that you tried and others, like " - port 3" and "/-port3" and I can't get any of them to work. I get the same error that you report.

When I plug a USB mouse or similar device into a USB port, windows make a two-tone sound. It's the same with the core system, when I plug the Silver plug into the USB port windows makes a two-tone sound.

Can you confirm that windows recognizes the system when you plug it in.

Keith...

CoreAnalog
2005.09.08, 11:21 AM
Maxfield,

My system works perfectly with the standard setup.

To try and help you out I've tried every "command line parameter" change that you tried and others, like " - port 3" and "/-port3" and I can't get any of them to work. I get the same error that you report.

When I plug a USB mouse or similar device into a USB port, windows make a two-tone sound. It's the same with the core system, when I plug the Silver plug into the USB port windows makes a two-tone sound.

Can you confirm that windows recognizes the system when you plug it in.

Keith...

Guys,

"C:\Program Files\CoreSpeedway\core-racer.exe" -port 3

Note where the double quotes are...

--Core

briankstan
2005.09.08, 11:50 AM
Core, is there a way to open the software without having the system attached to my computer?

I like to make my theme changes on my home desktop, but I run the timing system from my laptop. It is just a pain to unhook the Timing system and bring it into the other room with the loop and everything attached to it.

Maybe my suggestion would be to make the loop detachable or software be able to open with out the hardware. So I can leave it taped to the bottom of my track.

Brian

Maxfield
2005.09.11, 09:17 PM
Guys,

Note where the double quotes are...

--Core

Well Thanks, That did the trick!!

Can I setup an alias to do that without going throught the RUN command?

baldrick
2005.09.12, 09:49 AM
Well Thanks, That did the trick!!

Can I setup an alias to do that without going throught the RUN command?

To avoid the RUN command line.

Create a shortcut on your desktop for the “core-racer.exe” file or go to the icon in your start menu. Then right click on the icon and select properties – in the target box add the ( -port 3 ) bit to the end of the line, so it looks like:-

Click Apply and OK and then click on the icon and it should open the program.

Keith…

Maxfield
2005.09.18, 10:49 PM
Thanks I'll do that.

The system is awesome. Works like a charm except what we'vr heard about the small F1 transmitters is true -- they're just too small to work consistently. I'd stick to the full size transmitters, even for the F1's, but there is no really "pretty" way to mount them.