PDA

View Full Version : iwaver

chase044
2005.09.07, 09:04 PM
hello guys im new to the forum and ive been in rc for about 8 years now. i really like the mini scene and want to get a iwaver or mini-z. i havent heard anything bad about the iwaver so i was leaning towards it. i want to get one to race at a local rc shop that has mini-z races. im short on cash too so thats a big pluss that the iwaver is so cheap. i have a controler i can use so i can get just the chassis. are the iwavers good cars? are they worth buying over a mini-z? if i want to get a iwaver i only have to wait about a weak until my next pay check but to get a mini-z i have to wait about 3 weaks until i can save enough for one. i dont have much "extra" cash. gas isnt cheap yaknow.....and my 10 mpg truck isnt helping me atall....lol i also want to get 2 cars..... one for me and one for my gf so she can race too.
also do the mini-z autoscale bodies fit the iwaver? and what parts are not compatible with the mini-z?
thanks guys,
Bryan

bda52
2005.09.07, 10:02 PM
Hi Chase044, welcome to the boards.

Iwaver has varied opinions on this board. In a nutshell, IW is lesser build quality than Kyosho. Solders are not done neatly and wires come unattached easily. Steering can be an issue with IW also. That is more of a hit and miss kind of thing. I have 4 or 5 IW02's and have a twitch in 2 of them. (to be honest, I have yet to try to fix it with tips from other places on the forum)

Yes, autoscale bodies fit IW's

Best thing to do is do a search on Iwaver in the forum and check out some of the posts. My suggestion would be get the IW and see if you get addicted like most of us have here then save up for the Kyosho.

chase044
2005.09.07, 10:34 PM
thanks for the info. im pretty good at soldering so i could probly solder on the loose wires again...but as for the steering problems....what exacly is wrong....twitch?? wont turn all the way? doesnt turn one way atall? i had a mini-z overland awhile ago and i liked it a lot but the bug of modifieing it got to me and i modiefied it so much that i ended up ruining it. so i want a car now but cant affoard a "real" mini-z like i could b4.

JustinL42
2005.09.07, 11:20 PM
My Iwaver 02 steering is fine. It used to have a minute twitch on freshly charged batteries but hardly noticeable. Recently I had it apart and one of the wires (-) broke off of the servo motor. I resoldered it well and put everything back together and there is zero twitch whatsoever now. Most of what I have read negative about the Iwavers I have not experienced at all. There are a few 'opportunities for improvement' that can be made to make it better. For me half the fun is working on it and being creative so I enjoy having some changes to make. I've upgraded the power wires (def recommend if you can solder) to a larger grade, polished my Iwaver diff plates and superglued a crack here and there from impacts but really the chassis holds up pretty well. Everything else I've done is mostly just put upgraded parts in places that would be just as beneficial to do as it would be on the Kyosho chassis. Keep in mind no real racecar ever came out of the box new ready to win a championship. Even the real cars go through an evolution of tweaks before they are finely tuned machines. To me that process is what makes it mine.

I would recommend also buying as a minimum when/if you pick up a chassis set:
Bearings
Ball differential
Kyosho or Iwaver X-speed motor (Iwaver X-speed is faster but I don't know if the Kyosho board will hold up to the motor?)

I have seen and driven with the Kyosho Mini-z at the track and I think the only thing that kept my Iwaver from being competitive was my extreme newbie driving and tuning skill. If I had the money in hand to buy the Kyosho I would just spend it on an Iwaver and use the change on upgrades.

JustinL42

saiyan
2005.09.08, 02:05 AM
Also don't forget that you said you have a radio wich is cool, but make sure it's am and in the 27mhz range so it will mesh with the recievers. Also a good idea to make sure it has servo reversing capabilities.

I have both chassis, an MR02 and Iw02, both have worked well for me. I did get a steering problem after i got knocked by another car and rolled, but a piece of paper as a shim in where the servo pot was fixed it. My MR02 had a bit of a twitch were the weels would wiggle back and forth even though power was there. It went away after i adjusted the steering pot on the remote to full lock both directs and then re-centered it and it was fine. What i'm getting at here is that i've experianced 'issues' with both brands and in my opinion you should just go with what you can afford now and then get the MR02 later, besides you have to be there at the races for when a 'good deal' comes along on an MR02. ;)

Twenty-Se7en
2005.09.08, 03:27 AM
If you like to really get "into" the cars then Iwavers are perfect. Any problem I have ever had with an Iwaver (recent models) have all been fixable by pulling it apart and playing around with different things. The build quality is not as good as Kyosho but for the price they are great. Kyosho's MR-01s have just as many problems as any Iwaver I have used so the people that claim they are "unraceable" just haven't had enough of both to judge properly.

Check with your hobby shop to see if they will allow Iwavers to run with the Kyosho Mini-Z... many shops keep it strictly Kyosho so they can sell them and make more money.

BTW, Kyosho makes a great product and I fully support you buying one when you get the money... just in a jam, Iwaver will pull through for you.

chase044
2005.09.08, 01:13 PM
thanks guys for the help...im going to get an iwaver tomarow after work...tomarrows pay day...woohoo!! im getting a mercedes benz..a silver one....i have a ton of bearings so i dont think ill need to buy them...but ill have to find them in my parts trays.... im gonna get rechargable batteries too with a AAA charger. i remeber when i had my overland going from non rechargables to rechargables was a big diffrence...it went so much faster and was a lot quicker. so im gettign those right away. but the next couple things im going to buy with next weak pay check is...
top cad rear oil shock
top cad rear side dampers
ball diff
aluminum motor mount
3racing ball bearing speed motor if it works without blowing fetts
and a 3racing soft h platebut what chassis will i need it for mm or rm?
thanks,
Bryan

bda52
2005.09.08, 03:28 PM
thanks guys for the help...im going to get an iwaver tomarow after work...tomarrows pay day...woohoo!! im getting a mercedes benz..a silver one....i have a ton of bearings so i dont think ill need to buy them...but ill have to find them in my parts trays.... im gonna get rechargable batteries too with a AAA charger. i remeber when i had my overland going from non rechargables to rechargables was a big diffrence...it went so much faster and was a lot quicker. so im gettign those right away. but the next couple things im going to buy with next weak pay check is...
top cad rear oil shock
top cad rear side dampers
ball diff
aluminum motor mount
3racing ball bearing speed motor if it works without blowing fetts
and a 3racing soft h platebut what chassis will i need it for mm or rm?
thanks,
Bryan

The Mercedes are RM. Everyone has covered the "twitch" I mentioned and will sometime soon use all of that advise myself.... And as Twenty-Se7en said you get a very good car for a killer price with the IW.

machine
2005.09.08, 08:19 PM
Are you getting the Iwaver or the Firelap?

I'll speak up for the Iw's as well, I've beaten my 02 throughly and it's been pretty good to me. I've got it setup as a MM with some option parts runs and feels great on the track.
You might as well get the bearings, rear ball diff and some extra tires and your ready to go.

As for the "twitch" i believe Dogbreath had a fix for this, you drill out a small hole over the Servo POT and thread in a small screw to hold it tight. I've done this to a balck chassis IW01 which were notirious last year for the twitch, and you know the twitch is gone now.

DogbreathRacing
2005.09.08, 08:52 PM
Yup the old screw trick really works, it eliminates all steering twitch in any model Mini or Iwaver, glad it worked for you Machine.

IW's are great cars for the price, perfect starter cars for those on a budget

chase044
2005.09.08, 11:55 PM
thanks a lot guys. im getting a iwaver not a firelap. i plan on ordering the stuff tomarow night after work. i cant wait to get the stuff. i just wish i had the money now.....isnt that what we all say tho....lol if theres anywhere cheaper than R C M A R T. CoM could you tell me...
thanks again guys.
Bryan

chase044
2005.09.10, 01:14 AM
well i didnt get to buy the stuff like i planned. this weak i took a day off work for vacation yaknow so even with that day off i would of been fine and would of still been fine and been able to buy this stuff...but my boss decides for no reasson to take $40 out of my pay check. since i already took a day off this weak it only left me with $80 to spend on this stuff but since hye took out $40 i only had $40 to spend so thats not enough so im going to have to wait till next weak to get it...im pretty pissed....
later..
Bryan