PDA

View Full Version : Action RC 2, Staten Island

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

bermbuster
2010.07.04, 10:03 PM
AM Glitching....
I maybe reaching but at the old place I always glitched at the corner by the lap counter....thats where the "tire" sat.... Do you think maybe the metal bands in the tire can be the culprit????
The tire is a kool prop and I remember my son sitting in it back in the day....
Maybe if you move it......:cool:

KA2AEV
2010.07.04, 11:31 PM
AM Glitching....
I maybe reaching but at the old place I always glitched at the corner by the lap counter....thats where the "tire" sat.... Do you think maybe the metal bands in the tire can be the culprit????
The tire is a kool prop and I remember my son sitting in it back in the day....
Maybe if you move it......:cool:

Wow let me get out my math book and see if there could be some coupling at 27mhz going on from the tire
Would that tire have a continuious band running around the length of it
on the inside?

J-Milz
2010.07.05, 12:37 AM
Ithink I am gonna get rid of my Eurus and get an Perfex EX5-UR it feels lighter and has all the functions that I currently use on my Eurus.... Hey Al if and when you speak to your sales rep can you find out the official release date for the perfex (it's all over there website) thanks....... My hands can take it no more I have been with my hands wrapped all day from the arthritis pain it took me 27 minutes just to type this

Are you sure its arthritis? Not the other thing? Is there hair growing on the palms? :D

EMU
2010.07.05, 08:57 AM
What channel are you running? Try to avoid channel 3 if I remember correctly... Core interferes with it. Core uses something close to 27am to detect the transponders... real genious to design a system for these cars with a frequency close to them, right? :rolleyes: Which is why there are a lot of hits near the lap counters. Also, remember that there are outlets in the wall behind the main straight. And I think the main conduit is right around where that tire is, so that could explain why AM hits the most at that location. I personally will never own another AM car. ASF is that much better, especially when coupled with a good radio that you can take advantage of the increased resolution and speeds of transmission.

jackg
2010.07.05, 09:58 AM
i was using chan 26.995. its 2 in kyosho. i swithched out the crystal this morning and installed a longer ant. but the steering keeps twitching. whatever the cause I hate AM. there are too many other things to adjust and tune on a car. The thing is the car is way set up otherwise. Shafiq has built a great car I just cant get a solid signal to it. -j

KA2AEV
2010.07.05, 10:12 AM
Are you sure its arthritis? Not the other thing? Is there hair growing on the palms? :D

He does wear Glasses too! :D

jackg
2010.07.05, 10:16 AM
I just did some test laps and the longer ant on the car may have helped. the steering is still twitching but i had arrow straight runs down the back stretch and excellent control in the turns. we shall see on sat..-j

PadrinoNY
2010.07.05, 10:57 AM

hahahah thats funny... I am more then sure that it is arthritis....

Jack it's probably the motor sending a signal back through the board just like the 03 when you put a high grade motor the wheels tend to twitch....

jackg
2010.07.05, 12:02 PM
could be but it twitches when its standing still. is the atomic standard pink label motor really high grade? -j

lfisminiz
2010.07.05, 12:45 PM
Ithink I am gonna get rid of my Eurus and get an Perfex EX5-UR it feels lighter and has all the functions that I currently use on my Eurus.... Hey Al if and when you speak to your sales rep can you find out the official release date for the perfex (it's all over there website) thanks....... My hands can take it no more I have been with my hands wrapped all day from the arthritis pain it took me 27 minutes just to type this

I have the Eurus and Helios....one thing i did to help make the radio lighter is using the Eveready ultimate-lithium batts (8X longer lasting). There kind of a alkaline type but they last much longer and weigh almost nothing, blue/silver color.

KA2AEV
2010.07.05, 12:52 PM
could be but it twitches when its standing still. is the atomic standard pink label motor really high grade? -j

Are we sure that the twitching is actually coming from the transmitter and not the driver? :eek:

PadrinoNY
2010.07.05, 12:59 PM
Are we sure that the twitching is actually coming from the transmitter and not the driver? :eek:

hahahahahahaha hold that jack

PadrinoNY
2010.07.05, 01:02 PM
I have the Eurus and Helios....one thing i did to help make the radio lighter is using the Eveready ultimate-lithium batts (8X longer lasting). There kind of a alkaline type but they last much longer and weigh almost nothing, blue/silver color.

I wanted to do the lipo but just like everything else peoplle say it has it's pro's and cons. I just ordered a venom lipo for it and I am gonna try that.

EMU
2010.07.05, 02:37 PM
Jack, it sounds like the good ol' AM boogie ;) I could do the conversion for you if needed. You just need an ASF board (02 or 03), and an extra wire for the servo pot.

All of my converted F1's I reused the AM servo motor and pot, and just rewired them for the new board. I found it a little easier that way, otherwise you have to rewire all of the wires for the ASF pot and motor. Switch wires I just reuse the AM as well, and I usually use thicker wire for the power terminals.

Pucho, what are the cons for LiPo in the TX? I have been thinking about doing the conversion for a while. Especially since my cells are really shot in my TX, and need replacing.

PadrinoNY
2010.07.05, 03:43 PM
i ordered a $40 venom 2400mah 3s lipo for ko radios no conversion needed the plug is there just waiting to get it..... And the low voltage alarm on the eurus will act as my lipo alarm

KA2AEV
2010.07.05, 05:03 PM
Jack check your Mailbox

Mike

ActionRC
2010.07.06, 03:48 PM
Wow - How crazy would it be if the drag racing slick in the corner is the reason for the issues in that corner? My 015 and my Pan Car are on AM, but the problem only happens once in a while for me. I am on X-Mod 7, but I will absolutely move the tire and see what happens. That would be amazing.

Saturday night had some great racing once again. Current points are posted on the website. Here are some of the best "Mains" battles of the night:

A main: Crop and EMU for 2nd
Crop: 38/7:02.02
EMU: 38/7:03.86

B main: Jack and Shafiq for 2nd
Jack: 34/7:04.23
Shaf: 34/7:05.91

C main: Joe and Goldust for the win (Bod D lead also)
Joe: 28/7:14.53
Golddust: 28/7:16.88

C Main: Mike Sam and Justin for 4th
Mike Sam: 21/7:05.09
Justin: 21/7:06.32 (Got passed on the last lap!)

A main Narrow
Crop: 36/7:06.81
EMU: 36/7:10.41
Tom P: 36/7:11.28

Shafiq: 34/7:02.12
Nat: 34/7:02.36

Looking forward to a great practice night tonight!

Al

jackg
2010.07.06, 07:00 PM
Wow - How crazy would it be if the drag racing slick in the corner is the reason for the issues in that corner? My 015 and my Pan Car are on AM, but the problem only happens once in a while for me. I am on X-Mod 7, but I will absolutely move the tire and see what happens. That would be amazing.

Saturday night had some great racing once again. Current points are posted on the website. Here are some of the best "Mains" battles of the night:

A main: Crop and EMU for 2nd
Crop: 38/7:02.02
EMU: 38/7:03.86

B main: Jack and Shafiq for 2nd
Jack: 34/7:04.23
Shaf: 34/7:05.91

C main: Joe and Goldust for the win (Bod D lead also)
Joe: 28/7:14.53
Golddust: 28/7:16.88

C Main: Mike Sam and Justin for 4th
Mike Sam: 21/7:05.09
Justin: 21/7:06.32 (Got passed on the last lap!)

A main Narrow
Crop: 36/7:06.81
EMU: 36/7:10.41
Tom P: 36/7:11.28

Shafiq: 34/7:02.12
Nat: 34/7:02.36

Looking forward to a great practice night tonight!

Al

wow that is some close racing. Mike thanks i will check my circuit board -j

J-Milz
2010.07.07, 04:30 PM
Friday night racing? Woohhooo!!!:D

Fifty7
2010.07.08, 07:12 AM

I second that woohoo. WooooHooooo. Get that AC started.

Dr. Kustom
2010.07.08, 07:35 AM
Does anyone have an extra 2.4GHz Mini-Z module ?

jackg
2010.07.08, 09:00 AM

are we racing friday night? -j

Fifty7
2010.07.08, 09:11 AM
are we racing friday night? -j

Yes, i got an email yesterday. He must've gotten busy at work and didn't have a chance to post it here yet.

Friday night taco's & burrito's ???

jackg
2010.07.08, 10:59 AM
it it a little warm out to crank up the taco truck :eek:. I hope i can just make the racing -j

ActionRC
2010.07.08, 02:12 PM
Hi, everybody! I hope you are all dealing with this unbearable heat as best as possible. While Action RC does have air conditioning, these especially hot days have made it difficult to keep the room cool and comfortable enough for the large crowds we have been having on Thursdays. We had a descent number of drivers Tuesday night, and even stayed past our normal hours, but it was (in my opinion) a little uncomfortable. To try to make racing more comfortable, we will be closed tonight (Thursday), but we will be open for a special Friday Gift Card Racing night tomorrow!

The temperature is supposed to be dropping toward the end of the week. We will be open at 7:00, as usual for weeknights, and we'll run our normal Thursday night program on Friday. We will also run our normal points racing on Saturday, as always, which is Week # 3 of our 33rd Championship Point Series. If you have not run in the last two weeks, you can still be a part of this new series!

We also have a change to the normal routine at Action RC Mini Speedway beginning next week. Thursday night Gift Card Racing will become Thursday Night Points Racing! Thursday nights will have their own series where, like now, you can run any car except F1 or Monsters. Trophies will be awarded after 8 weeks, and 5 of your best weeks will be counted toward your points total - just like Saturdays! It's going to be a lot of fun, and an exciting new twist to the weeknight race program.

I hope to see you all Friday night, and again on Saturday! Stay cool!

Al

Kevin S.
2010.07.09, 10:00 AM
Al,
The Thursday Night Point Series sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait to start it :D. I am sure I am going to miss a good night of racing tonight :mad: but I am leaving for vacation in the morning :D and I have to finish all the last minute errands. Everyone, have fun racing tonight and tomorrow and I will see everyone soon.

ActionRC
2010.07.09, 10:12 AM
I went to the track yesterday to reprogram the thermostat, so we're good to go for tonight. I even made it come on earlier! :)

Looking forward to a fun FRIDAY night of racing tonight!

Did I miss Scott's "Question of the Week" feature? He's been a little too quiet on the forum this week, and I started looking forward to his weekly questions.

Crop is having a good time in Charlotte on his Nascar vacation. He sent me pictures from Stewart-Haas and Hendrick this week. He is torturing me! :mad: He even saw the Wrangler # 3 that Dale Jr. won with on Friday night on display!

SaiTam
2010.07.09, 10:33 AM
That explained why Crop didn't return my PM. Enjoy the vacation.

Fifty7
2010.07.09, 11:08 AM
I went to the track yesterday to reprogram the thermostat, so we're good to go for tonight. I even made it come on earlier! :)

Looking forward to a fun FRIDAY night of racing tonight!

Did I miss Scott's "Question of the Week" feature? He's been a little too quiet on the forum this week, and I started looking forward to his weekly questions.

Crop is having a good time in Charlotte on his Nascar vacation. He sent me pictures from Stewart-Haas and Hendrick this week. He is torturing me! :mad: He even saw the Wrangler # 3 that Dale Jr. won with on Friday night on display!

Yup, he's torturing me too with the Stewart pics (But i did get a nice shot of the 3 different cars). He told me he pet Jr's dog and the dog tag had a phone # on it but he didnt want to get caught taking the number. :p

See you tonight for the final cash racing extravaganza.

I did not see any Scott questions either.

CDR racing
2010.07.09, 08:40 PM
Yup, he's torturing me too with the Stewart pics (But i did get a nice shot of the 3 different cars). He told me he pet Jr's dog and the dog tag had a phone # on it but he didnt want to get caught taking the number. :p

See you tonight for the final cash racing extravaganza.

I did not see any Scott questions either.

So Al tells all of the internet that I'm away :mad:...If my house gets robbed between now and sunday night its all your fault:D Haha jk i'm sure everyone there has heard me talking about it anyway... Yes I got to pet Junior's dog...and I sent you guys the pics on my phone, but i have tons on my camera, and I'll have lots of surprises with me on thursday or saturday whenever i get back to the track for whoever cares and wants to see. It's been a very cool trip, and for those of you who have even a moderate interest in NASCAR should all do this sometime in your life. I apologize for those of you who have to put up with my non stop vacation stories next saturday :) haha see you guys soon...i miss racing already and sucks i couldnt be at the last cash night. We brought our cars to do some racing somewhere down here but doesnt look like we'll get to...see everyone soon

KA2AEV
2010.07.09, 11:34 PM
So Al tells all of the internet that I'm away :mad:...If my house gets robbed between now and sunday night its all your fault:D Haha jk i'm sure everyone there has heard me talking about it anyway... Yes I got to pet Junior's dog...and I sent you guys the pics on my phone, but i have tons on my camera, and I'll have lots of surprises with me on thursday or saturday whenever i get back to the track for whoever cares and wants to see. It's been a very cool trip, and for those of you who have even a moderate interest in NASCAR should all do this sometime in your life. I apologize for those of you who have to put up with my non stop vacation stories next saturday :) haha see you guys soon...i miss racing already and sucks i couldnt be at the last cash night. We brought our cars to do some racing somewhere down here but doesnt look like we'll get to...see everyone soon

Hey Crop where do you keep you cars and stuff for racing?:eek:

J-Milz
2010.07.10, 08:52 AM
We brought our cars to do some racing somewhere down here but doesnt look like we'll get to...see everyone soon

When I had my house down in NC I went to a mini z track called High Speed hobbies outside of Charlotte. You can find the adress on the Atomic site. If it's still open.

Scrapper
2010.07.10, 08:58 AM
high speed is still open thats where mike morse(spelling) goes

EMU
2010.07.10, 11:10 AM
When I had my house down in NC I went to a mini z track called High Speed hobbies outside of Charlotte. You can find the adress on the Atomic site. If it's still open.

HSH is where I attended the last Carolina Cup race. A great bunch of racers on and off the track.

jackg
2010.07.11, 10:07 AM
Good night of many close races. the longer ant on the F1 has virually eliminated the glitching so I have total control as I come in last place. My 03 mosler continues to squeak into the bottom of the A. Great to see some old faces back in the mini z world. Sammy is a good driver and jumps right back into racing with a very tight group. we had some great battles during qualifing but he ran away from me during the main. i had a few knocks that left me struggling to catch up. wait til next week:cool: -j

EMU
2010.07.11, 12:30 PM
Great races last night. Last week I didnt have a good run, so this week I tweaked the Mosler setup a little. Got rid of the LM tires and replaced them with Kyosho radials (20r/30f). It gave me a little more grip overall, but more punch out of the corner and more braking into the corner. I was able to shave down the fast lap that I set on Friday which was 10.11, to a 9.88s in the 2nd qualifier. In the main, I focused on pace rather than fast lap. The 2nd to last lap was my fastest lap of the main at 10s flat.

Nat was able to hold Sai off for 2nd place, he continues to get a little faster every week. Shafiq showed a big improvement this week, Friday and Saturday. Turning 26L in qualify, and with a fast lap of 10.48s, which is less than half a second of the fast lap of the race. A few weeks ago he was in the middle of the B, unable to find pace. Now he can carry more speed out of the corner, and through the corner, shaving his laptimes down. I think that driving F1 has really helped his driving and setup in other classes.

Narrow was a battle between Sai and I. Both of us had similar pace in qualify, so it was anyones race in the main. I got off to a bad start, but managed to catch him due to traffic. We had some good close racing, but he stuffed it into the boards before the straight while trying to bank off of me through the corner. I kept it clean focused on not getting caught in traffic to keep my gap where it was, and went on to get the win. Dominic drove a good race in the A, but it will take a little time until he is used to driving in the fastest group. You have to be as aware of the cars in front of you as the cars behind you. When you are leading a group, its much easier, as you only look in front. Once you bump up to the next group, you have to drive fast, while letting faster cars by. I think it will help his driving in stock as well if he continues to drive in the top group in narrow.

In F1, Shafiq forgot his car at home, so I offered for him to drive one of mine. He used my Atomic mount car with PN 43t, which I like the best. I drove my Mantis car with PN mount and Atomic Stock-BB motor. Both cars were equally fast in the straights, but I could push a little harder through the corner, which is where I made the difference. Laptime difference was about .2s between us. If Im not mistaken, I think we were the only cars in the 10's.

Recently there has been a noticeable increase in pace accross the field at Action. If my setup isnt good enough, there is a good chance that I could go a few positions down now... Even when Phil, Johnathan, and Rob arent there.

One suggestion, when a driver wins a points series in a division, the next season they should be automatically bumped up to the next division.... This way, they dont sandbag to stay in the lower division.... :eek:

Great night of racing. Im still stoked.

Slapstick10
2010.07.12, 11:33 AM
As we grow into the miniz world of racing. I have offen asked myself when which company has the best parts. I have not had good luck with PN.However I really haven't had much expierence with Atomic either. Now is it my driving or the parts....thats a whole other topic. Recently PN released their new 50t and 80t motors. How do they rate?
Being compared to the Atomic Yellow and Standard motors?

1) Which company has the most reliable motors?

2) Which company has the most reliable parts?

EXAMPLE : If I pay $40 for a new PN light weight Ball Diff is it worth the money?:D

Racing at the beach!

MINI COOPER :D:
Rob from Action take the prize for Mini Coop at the beach(A Main Winner)
Adam and myself qualified for A main as well!!!!
Jeff took first place in the B main

VTA

The temp of the track had a big play on our cars. Last that Rob checked it was 117 degrees on the asphalt. Our tires were rated for 90-100 only. The track became real loose. But Rob adapted well and was ahead untill they stoped the race mid throught and reversed track. Rob not a happy driver at this point tried his best but bowed out due to a broken hub! I couldn't get the car under control so I was a non factor!

In conclusion we are taking the beach by storm and taking no prisoners!:)

ShortBus
2010.07.12, 11:53 AM
I personally have had no issues with my PN 70t and now Atomic USA motors and have had success with both. I hear stories all the time on how people went thru 10+ motors to find a good one. Did I get lucky twice??

As far as diff's, I had the PN Ultra-lite and noticed that it's performance wasn't consistant. Recently switched to the Atomic Ultra-lite and so far no problems.

But at the end of the day it always comes down to your driving and not the money spent on your ride........

Atomic-USA
2010.07.12, 11:56 AM
I am not here to comment on the quality of ATM vs. PN, but in case you have a problem with Atomic parts purchase locally or with receipt Atomic will make a repair or replacement for you free of charge. Just speak to Sai.

LogicBytes
2010.07.12, 12:19 PM
It felt good to get back out on the track Sat night after a much missed few weeks. My 015 was handling well my 02 still needs some work, it's funny though how in practice it seems to handle great but then once I go to qualify it feels completely different. My F-1 is running a little better then the last series I ran it in but still needs a little work.

Fifty7
2010.07.12, 12:31 PM
I personally have had no issues with my PN 70t and now Atomic USA motors and have had success with both. I hear stories all the time on how people went thru 10+ motors to find a good one. Did I get lucky twice??

As far as diff's, I had the PN Ultra-lite and noticed that it's performance wasn't consistant. Recently switched to the Atomic Ultra-lite and so far no problems.

But at the end of the day it always comes down to your driving and not the money spent on your ride........

I am on my 3rd PN 70t and have yet to have a "fast" one. With the groups i race with my narrow is usually the slowest car on the track. I know some people can't be used for comparison b/c of other parts of the car being changed but there is def. a difference from motor to motor there. I have always had a speedy 05 or 07BB and never had a problem with them. I've been running an Atomic stock for at least a month now and i like this one too. I can say for sure, this motor is definitely easier on the batteries. They charge a lot faster after a run than they used to with the speedy 07.

No comment on the diffs - I don't have enough experience with the different kinds to really judge them

Also - Congrats to all the Action RC representatives at the beach.

Fifty7
2010.07.12, 12:35 PM
It felt good to get back out on the track Sat night after a much missed few weeks. My 015 was handling well my 02 still needs some work, it's funny though how in practice it seems to handle great but then once I go to qualify it feels completely different. My F-1 is running a little better then the last series I ran it in but still needs a little work.

Good to see you again. Tom and I were saying the same thing about practice compared to the race. Funny, isn't it? The only real answer is we're all mental.

It's too late b/c i ordered it already but that speaker was the Mini Max, right? Not the Ihome?

ShortBus
2010.07.12, 12:46 PM
potter - check your pm's !!

LogicBytes
2010.07.12, 01:10 PM
Good to see you again. Tom and I were saying the same thing about practice compared to the race. Funny, isn't it? The only real answer is we're all mental.

It's too late b/c i ordered it already but that speaker was the Mini Max, right? Not the Ihome?

I can agree with the mental part, I drive 75 miles to go race on Saturdays.

It was the X-Mini II not the max very similar though the Max has 2 speakers where the Mini II has only one. The A2dp 3.5 mm adapter was the Sony mw600

http://www.x-mini.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=154

Fifty7
2010.07.12, 02:19 PM
I can agree with the mental part, I drive 75 miles to go race on Saturdays.

It was the X-Mini II not the max very similar though the Max has 2 speakers where the Mini II has only one. The A2dp 3.5 mm adapter was the Sony mw600

http://www.x-mini.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=154

Yeah that was it. I almost ordered the Max but decided i didnt need more than 1 speaker. Not sure about the adapter yet but i do have a Sony card with lots of points so maybe I'll check it out.

hpotter
2010.07.12, 02:47 PM
O.K here we go:
PN--70 Turn Motor-I hate it, why because I had to purchase 6 of them to get one with comparable speed, they run very hot and at this point have me so frustrated that I gave my car to another racer who is changing the FETS on my board in case they are "tired". I will say if it was my board I will admit it but at this point after buying about 10 of these motors I am not impressed at all, and before all you naysayers chime in I know how to break in a motor properly, I understand about gearing and batteries and these are not the problems.
PN--Motor Pods-My only problem with these is that I don't mind paying for newer versions, but when these "newer versions" offer nothing but correct a problem that should have been caught in testing ex. the arm coming loose (it took I think 3 or 4 versions to put a tab and groove on it to stop it from happening) thats a lot of cash especially if you have multiple cars like most of us do.
PN--Ball Diffs-Same problem as with the motor pods-how many different versions of plates and still the problem persists, and for me just not consistent.
PN--Motors-I love the Speedy 05 and earlier runs of Speedy 07. I have no personal experience with the new motors but do know that according to other racers at my club they run very hot and one of them was bad right out of the packaging.
Atomic--Motors-I love them-I have to say for a long time I stayed away from Atomic motor because one of our racers always blew a board after installing an atomic motor. It was probobly due to the car being an older model and not being able to handle it but the stigma of smelling burnt fets kept me away from their motors until recently and I'm glad I made the switch, they are very efficient and I can not get the yellow label hot even during enduros. I am however disappointed that they decided to discontinue the USA, we ran that motor for our LM class and I and a lot of my fellow racers thought the motor was very good and smooth.
Kyosho--Ball Diffs-Very simply, I believe best on the market and are in all of my cars. Very consistent performance.
Kyosho--Autoscales-I don't know what they were thinking but "Fine Hand Polish"=GARBAGE. What were they thinking, charge more money for a body that is easy to break, paint quality is subpar and decals that I can rub off with a finger. I have original glosscoat bodies ($20.00) that have been run for 5+ years and there is nothing wrong with them compared to a fine hand polish body ($40.00+) that doesnt make it one lap without cracking. Kyosho are you listening--GLOSSCOAT.
Kyosho--MR03-Guys, come on--all I'll say is servo gears and blown boards.
This is not a bash on any companies but if you want loyalty, quality has to remain top priority and when that goes down so does your reputation. I find myself using mostly older parts from all of the above companies because the quality is just better than the newer stuff (with the exception of Atomic-I am a new user of their parts and so far am pretty happy).

P.S. Kyosho, why no more Ferrari F355?

ShortBus
2010.07.12, 03:26 PM
there's a used "red" F355 on flea bay

SaiTam
2010.07.12, 03:52 PM
I believe HKSHobby still has Atomic-USA motors in stock.

Tom, if you have no luck with 70T; try 80T. Stugottz was impressed. I like the old Speedy05/07 in terms of speed and performance.

Any MR03 chassis (Black/Grey/Clear) strips easily in my experience.

ShortBus
2010.07.12, 03:59 PM
the original speedy05's ruled !!!!

EMU
2010.07.12, 07:53 PM
there's a used "red" F355 on flea bay
I have the highest bid on it, dont tell Tom...

I have been trying the new 43t and 39t motors in my F1. I like both of them. The 43t feels very similar to the ATM yellow label, and the 39t has a little more top end, and less low end. A little smoother to drive than the 43t which has more low end. The 33, and 35t have less torque, but are high RPM motors, so must be geared very low compared to the 43t and 39t. The 39t is basically the newest version of the PN AWD III motor, 43t is similar in build to the AWD I, both have better brushes and magnets than the previous motors, so they are much more consistant. My 43t draws about .5a, 39t draws .6a on my Pulsar charger motor run in setting with no load at 4.8v, so they are relatively mild current wise, and should be very consistant.

The ATM Stock-BB has been my favorite motor for some time. It is a motor you have to have good throttle control due to the torque that it puts out. It is very efficient, especially with the power that it puts out. Which makes it a good motor for long runs as well as sprint races since it is fast. I have been running the ATM Standard BB in my Mosler. Its a fast Standard, almost the same speed as the Stock-BB, but not quite as efficient, and not as much grunt out of the slow corners. I think it is an excellent motor for drivers that like to open up the throttle completely out of the corner, since it is less likely to make the rear wheels break loose.

The Stock-BB has a bit more drag brake than the standard, so you may have to coast while staying on a little throttle to keep the rear tires from breaking loose entering corners.

The USA motor is great for small light cars. A little more top end than the 70t, and much smoother on and off throttle.

The PN 70t has a lot of drag, and needs to be geared pretty high. I rarely fully let off the throttle when driving this motor. I dislike driving these motors now, since it is completely different than driving the faster motors. I only have one 70t car, which is my narrow car. I have had some good ones, and some not so good ones. I dont think that it has made much difference. I feel that the 70t that I am using right now is pretty slow, but I have no plans to change it anytime soon. Being on throttle in the corners is very important with the 70t, since it has so much drag brake, if coasting, the car will lose the rear wheels. By on throttle, I dont mean full throttle, but just on it enough that when decelerating you dont decelerate too fast. In a straight line, you can let go completely, which will have the reaction like being on brake with a speedy 07, but a light pull of the throttle entering a corner will make it react much smoother. When I let off for corners with the 70t, I let off to a let off point instead of full coast. I let off to the speed I want to travel in the corner.

I adjust my throttle curve on my transmitter so that my cars have similar let off points. Basically so my throttle feel is the same for all of my cars. Slow motors I add a positive curve, so I get up to speed using less throttle, and have more control of the car once I am up to speed. This makes it easier to jump from cars with slower motors to cars that have faster motors, since I am maintaining the same feel of throttle regardless of the motor that I am using. The ATM Stock-BB I dont use any curve with. PN 70t I use a lot of positive curve. I rarely use a negative curve on throttle, since I like my sensitivity early in the throw of throttle. When I am on just a little throttle, that is as slow as I expect to travel through the corners. This way I can go from coast, to mid speed without much trigger pull. And I dont use much throttle through infield sections. With faster motors, I dont go full throttle often, that is often a common mistake. I use as much throttle as I feel I need to use to travel the speed I need to travel on the track.

Slapstick10
2010.07.13, 08:43 AM
I really didnt want to single out any particular company....however since tom brought it up. I have only been racing for less then a year. In that year one would expect to spend a little more in parts then an expierenced racer.

But why Kyosho would release a MR03 with 2 major problems is beyond me.
It just made me feel really good when I blew the servo gear in my mr03 and I was told Kyosho was out of stock... Thank God potter had one laying around at home left in a the middle of a race and got it for me:D I owe you Bro!!!

Atomic doesn't walk like god in this either. The discontinued USA motor without prior knowledge to track owners and customers is an issue for me. I guess it wasn't such a big deal..... the problem is when you start a point series with a spec motor
ITS GOT TO BE AVAILABLE!!!!!!!!!

Remember the little spat Al and I had over the LM series because of the motor.That was pretty intense! However I felt the way I felt about it

I have not had alot of expierence with Atomic but I stand by the Yellow label motor and I like the fact that a rep from Atomic chimed in and backed their products. Sai is always around for consultation and thats a fact!

Which brings me to this question:
PN and Kyosho......any thoughts:rolleyes:

monkey19
2010.07.13, 09:59 AM
hpotter you hit the nail on the head! 100% correct.

Fifty7
2010.07.13, 10:13 AM
hpotter you hit the nail on the head! 100% correct.

OH Boy. - Al - you better open both doors tonight. Someones head is not gonna fit through only 1. :D

sjm324
2010.07.13, 02:23 PM
DID ANY OF YOU NASCAR NUTS SEE THIS PRETTY COOL
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/07/13/transformers-3-to-feature-nascar-transformers/?icid=main|main|dl7|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cinemat ical.com%2F2010%2F07%2F13%2Ftransformers-3-to-feature-nascar-transformers%2F

jackg
2010.07.13, 03:11 PM
Nascar robots-cool. my two cents on the parts question is this- PN makes some very affordable versions of upgrades that go sometimes half the price of other companies parts. a good example is the old PN ball diff for around $22. two years ago i replaced the gear diff with the PN and saw an immediate increase in the cars performance. my driving still had a long way to go so the $40 Kyosho diff would have been for me a waste at the time. i am now going for the kyosho and the PN will likley end up in one of the C main drivers cars so they can see how it helps . some of these companies are aiming their products only at pro racers with a healthy budget. others offer the less experienced a chance to upgrade, see results, and save. -j

Fifty7
2010.07.13, 05:47 PM
DID ANY OF YOU NASCAR NUTS SEE THIS PRETTY COOL
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/07/13/transformers-3-to-feature-nascar-transformers/?icid=main|main|dl7|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cinemat ical.com%2F2010%2F07%2F13%2Ftransformers-3-to-feature-nascar-transformers%2F

what do you mean YOU nascar nuts? You're one of us now pal.

Oh and those pictures are just what Jr. is gonna try and do to get a win:D

sjm324
2010.07.13, 06:21 PM
what do you mean YOU nascar nuts? You're one of us now pal.

Oh and those pictures are just what Jr. is gonna try and do to get a win:D

LOL, I know I was drooling over some of the NASCAR pics Crop posted of the team shops on f******k

jackg
2010.07.13, 07:31 PM
next third class nascar roadcourse. :cool: -j

J-Milz
2010.07.13, 08:56 PM
next third class nascar roadcourse. :cool: -j
Great but no NASCAR bodies. If my calculations are correct I think Renault is on deck. Alot of us have a bunch of awd's laying around, selling them, etc. (since the 03 is kickin butt) So, why can't we do a Awd / Renault, Subaru wrx, R32 rally hatch back class class with open motors? It's different. We can blow the dust of our awd's and it should be on time for the new upcomming suspension mods by PN and Kyosho.

Next series, can we switch to narrow rear tires on the narrow class? Just to shake things up a bit.

jackg
2010.07.14, 07:58 AM
Great but no NASCAR bodies. If my calculations are correct I think Renault is on deck. Alot of us have a bunch of awd's laying around, selling them, etc. (since the 03 is kickin butt) So, why can't we do a Awd / Renault, Subaru wrx, R32 rally hatch back class class with open motors? It's different. We can blow the dust of our awd's and it should be on time for the new upcomming suspension mods by PN and Kyosho.

Next series, can we switch to narrow rear tires on the narrow class? Just to shake things up a bit.

if we do rally cars there must be jumps:eek: and a surface change in one track section to simulate an asphalt/dirt track.:cool: we should also place little drunk spectators waaaay too close to the track and we can wipe out into them-just like in real rally racing.:p:p -j

Fifty7
2010.07.14, 09:34 AM
Fun night of practice racing last night.
I think i made some progress with my narrow but we will see on Saturday.

monkey19
2010.07.14, 10:47 AM
Rally class would be nice, although I have NEVER been able to get my awd around the track with any consistancy...maybe cardboard inserts on the track to simulate loose gravel....I digress just day dreaming at work:(

jackg
2010.07.14, 11:07 AM
the cardboard is a really good way to have a cheap, removable surface with a different feel than RCP.:cool: -j

jackg
2010.07.14, 11:17 AM
Fun night of practice racing last night.
I think i made some progress with my narrow but we will see on Saturday.

het marty did you get the heli? the light touch you learn flying it will transfer over to mini-z :cool: -j

Fifty7
2010.07.14, 11:48 AM
het marty did you get the heli? the light touch you learn flying it will transfer over to mini-z :cool: -j

No, haven't had a chance to look yet

ActionRC
2010.07.14, 04:45 PM
Hey, everyone! Just got back from Atlantic City. Thanks to Jeff and Crop for keeping an eye on things while I was away. I am glad you guys were able to get some practice in. I am really looking forward to tomorrow night for points racing!

Sai - Those Transformers pictures were AMAZING! As soon as I saw that I called Justin over to see it, and he freaked out! My eyes watered. You should have seen me during Herbie Fully Loaded - wet eyes like a big giuch. (Or when the #8 showed up in Cars - I am waaayy too emotional about stuff like that.) It's amazing how Hollywood caught on to the fact that guys in their mid-30's had Knight Rider, the Dukes, Herbie, Transformers, GI Joe - all these cool things that were brought back for us to share with our sons in the 2000's. I love it! Now if only a black Trans-Am would show up for a Smokey remake - or a new Cannonball Run - my re-do of childhood would be complete!

Scott - In over six years, I have seen incredibly great products and a few failures from EVERY manufacturer. They all have hits and misses. Thankfully, they all do seem to keep a close ear to the public, and make changes when necessary. They also ALL stand behind their products, and replace whatever is defective. (If anyone had trouble with a PN 50 turn, please see me at the track.) I am so glad you all did so well at the beach again! You guys are representin'! Hopefully I'll be able to make it next time. This one was just bad timing with Juliana's competition. (You guys thought I was cruel when I switch directions for a whole week - at least I never did it mid-race! You guys would bite my head off if I did that!:))

I'll re-do the points tomorrow when I go back to work, and I'll put them on the website. I have some more Kyosho stuff coming Saturday, and for next week Kyosho came out with an aluminum #4 servo gear! I'll get several. (You know they know there's a problem if they needed an aluminum version of this, but it should fix the problem for good!)

Next class: I would love to do an RM gear diff class. I would love to do a Porsche cup, but if they're not available we'll choose another body that they have that works. This is not set in stone - it's just an idea. We have plenty of time to decide.

Gotta unpack and get settled in - see you all tomorrow!

Al

EMU
2010.07.14, 05:30 PM
Gear diff, whats that???

J-Milz
2010.07.14, 08:51 PM
Gear diff, whats that???

I like the idea of a grassroots class. We may have to get a poll goin. :D. I'm pushing for awd rally class! I'm also willing to donate pieces of my own rcp track for the rally.

Dr. Kustom
2010.07.14, 09:10 PM
The AWD rally class sounds more fun to me!

ActionRC
2010.07.15, 12:17 PM
Current points are posted!

AWD Rally would be awesome, and it would be cool to have some inserts to change the surface. Jumps would break the cars, but rough terrain would be fun. Maybe we would be able to melt some tiles to create bumps. When we first started with Mini Cooper we jumped them, and it was absolutely GREAT!

See everyone tonight! :D

Fifty7
2010.07.15, 12:46 PM
Current points are posted!

AWD Rally would be awesome, and it would be cool to have some inserts to change the surface. Jumps would break the cars, but rough terrain would be fun. Maybe we would be able to melt some tiles to create bumps. When we first started with Mini Cooper we jumped them, and it was absolutely GREAT!

See everyone tonight! :D

Im having flashbacks of mini monsters.:D

MARSHALL!!! MARSHALL!!! MARSHALL!!! MARSHALL!!! MARSHALL!!!

How about putting some rocks (or something similar ) under the tiles? Would that work?

SaiTam
2010.07.15, 12:52 PM
Sai - Those Transformers pictures were AMAZING!

Al

Al, I don't recall sending you Transformer photos. Did my email address get stolen?

bermbuster
2010.07.15, 02:27 PM

How about putting some rocks (or something similar ) under the tiles? Would that work?

Putting objects under the tiles deforms the tile and they dont sit flat for a while.....I speak from experience.....:cool: we used pvc pipe 4" 6" and 8".

KA2AEV
2010.07.15, 03:46 PM
Gear diff, whats that???

WOW
A short post from Eugene :eek:

J-Milz
2010.07.15, 04:35 PM

Sounds like Marty is have Monster Jam flash backs. The jumps don't have to be that extreme. An inch is all it needs to get some air and slow the speeds down. Who cares if you have to Marshall? You guys never raced 1/8 gas off road? That's difficult. The cars are hot, heavy and the tires can tear up your fingers if the driver guns it too early.

Come on Al take a chance! No body is running rally cars in the tri- state. Besides you can get rid of some of those AWD parts and Subaru bodies nobody runs!:eek:

EMU
2010.07.15, 06:54 PM
I like the idea of a rally class. I can forsee a sea of orange dots on the track:eek:... 2wd could be permitted, but categorized seperately from AWD. This way people without AWD can still run the class.

J-Milz
2010.07.15, 08:13 PM
I like the idea of a rally class. I can forsee a sea of orange dots on the track:eek:... 2wd could be permitted, but categorized seperately from AWD. This way people without AWD can still run the class.

I like the idea of making them separate. The 03 are so much easier to tune than the AWD which gives them the advantage. Rally cars are usually AWD so let's keep it that way. Besides it helps sell AWD parts. Less participants in the third class means a smoother, faster night with more practice in between the heats.

minittrackmann
2010.07.16, 12:24 AM
Al whatever hapened to some indoor dirt??

I PM'ed you, check it out...

Fifty7
2010.07.16, 10:37 AM
Hey guys more NASCAR Transformers footage. Bad enough it's the 88 But....why oh why the #42???

Lots of videos on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCnRLDnN-gw&feature=related

Very hot Ferrari after the NASCAR cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEh0Kjk5cq0&feature=related

ActionRC
2010.07.16, 02:44 PM
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE!!!! (Sai - I thought you posted it originally. My mistake.)

Last night was an incredible kick-off to the first Thursday night points series! We had 18 drivers, and the feel of the night is very much like a miniatured version of a Saturday night. It was cool to see Nat and Dominick run Narrow cars and do REALLY well against Wide cars, and the night had a great flow. It was also much easier on me to run the night, so I had a great time as well. We had some new customers come by, and some new Mini-Z's got sold, and THAT is what ARCMS needs! Refer as many new people as possible! Points from last night are posted on the same points sheet as Saturday, but they are now broken down by Saturday and Thursday points series. They're up now on the website. Thank you to everyone for a great night of highly competitive racing!

I would think Rally cars should be AWD also. They should all be narrow, and must run Kyosho Rally bodies - painted or unpainted - and all 90-94 wheelbase. Like Jam Master J said, the third class has to be big enough to be good, but small enough to keep the night moving. Allowing 2WD cars makes the class unrealistic - and possibly too large. Obstacles under the track would have to be small enough to allow the tiles to remain locked together at the edges, so a 3/4" - 1" PVC pipe slid under the middle of the tile would definitely be enough to get some air, but still keep the car under control while keeping the track together at the joints. We could have a bunch of 2 and 3 tile width tubes ready to go, and we could just slide them under in certain spots for that race. I think it would be fun.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. See you all then! (Should be a great turnout from what I hear!)

ActionRC
2010.07.16, 03:19 PM
Hey guys more NASCAR Transformers footage. Bad enough it's the 88 But....why oh why the #42???

Lots of videos on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCnRLDnN-gw&feature=related

Very hot Ferrari after the NASCAR cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEh0Kjk5cq0&feature=related

Juan Pablo Montoyabot! :)

If there were a #14 Autobot it would be called "Stewbotz"! :D

hpotter
2010.07.16, 03:19 PM
If anyone has an extra enzo front clip I need one or if you know you have one Al, save it for me please.

CDR racing
2010.07.16, 04:30 PM
If anyone has an extra enzo front clip I need one or if you know you have one Al, save it for me please.

I used to have an aluminum one...not sure if I still do tho. If I do you can have it.

CDR racing
2010.07.16, 04:34 PM
The AWD Rally class with jumps and a bunch of Subarus seems very fitting since the X Games are starting up haha. Who's gunna be the Mini-z Travis Pastrana?

Dr. Kustom
2010.07.16, 04:39 PM
Real rally race would be awesome! :D
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Dr_Kustom/Mini-Z%20MA-010/IMGP1067.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Dr_Kustom/Mini-Z%20MA-010/IMGP1058.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Dr_Kustom/Mini-Z%20MA-010/IMGP0181-3.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Dr_Kustom/Mini-Z%20MA-010/IMGP0834.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Dr_Kustom/Mini-Z%20MA-010/IMGP1096.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Dr_Kustom/Mini-Z%20MA-010/IMGP1236.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/Dr_Kustom/Mini-Z%20MA-010/IMGP0745.jpg

jackg
2010.07.16, 06:22 PM
those pics made up my mind. Im building a mini-z rally AWD. that looks like sick fun:D:D -j

sjm324
2010.07.16, 08:54 PM
Tom, I have a few enzo clips, i will give you one thurs if u can wait
adam

J-Milz
2010.07.16, 10:07 PM
The AWD Rally class with jumps and a bunch of Subarus seems very fitting since the X Games are starting up haha. Who's gunna be the Mini-z Travis Pastrana?

I was watching that in my hotel room just last night! We should definitely do the rally race. That was cool as hell. Its the next best thing to short course racing. Al hold me a white 2008 WRC body. Let's do it. Can't wait to see it in Payne racing orange!

ActionRC
2010.07.16, 11:26 PM

I have 'em.

ActionRC
2010.07.16, 11:29 PM
The AWD Rally class does look like a lot of fun. Definitely something to consider. If anyone wants me to order one for them, let me know! :D

jackg
2010.07.17, 11:34 PM
Nats car is fast as hell. Dominick- wait until next week. I love mini-z racing. -j

CDR racing
2010.07.18, 02:10 AM
Al hold me a white 2008 WRC body. Let's do it. Can't wait to see it in Payne racing orange!

A little birdie told me that Jeff is trying to take it over and turn it into Sutton racing orange :D Right jeff?

J-Milz
2010.07.18, 07:10 AM
A little birdie told me that Jeff is trying to take it over and turn it into Sutton racing orange :D Right jeff?

Many can try, but we all know the original. :eek:

EMU
2010.07.18, 11:29 AM
Great racing last night. Nat was putting down some serious laptimes. When he got away at the start of the wide class, then pulled a 9.5s lap 4 laps in... I knew it was going to be tough. I didnt know if my car had a 9.5s lap in it at all for the main. I had a little more speed than everyone entering the sweeper, so I had to make that my passing zone, and hold a tight line entering infield. Phil said that I was slow in that section, but I didnt try to push hard through it, I didnt want to hit the boards. The Mosler keeps getting a little better. Next week I want to try my Sauber with standard tires instead of LM. LM tires work great for mild motors, but I feel that I cant really put down all of the power that I want to. I feel that I can put down the power from a Standard-BB, but not a Stock-BB.

Its been the first time in a long time that I have been able to watch a narrow A-Main :rolleyes: There was some serious battles going on. The funniest part was watching Dominic reel in Phil for the lap... That kid was on fire. The car is fast, but consistency needs to increase a little before he can try to go for a win. The narrow class is the most consistent class, one error can cost you the race.

F1, I drove it like I stole it. With the PN race coming up in 2 weeks, I need to be sure that the car can handle at the end of the race while pushing it hard every lap. Theres no waiting to get past traffic, if theres enough room to fit a car for a pass, Im putting it in there. Going into a big race, you have to have that confidence and aggressiveness. I cant play around until after the PN regional, it is crunch time now.

GTR driver
2010.07.19, 03:59 AM
Great racing Sat nite! Dominick is becoming a force to be reckon with. If I hold back on him, I'll lose! I'm pretty happy how my LM is running. I just need to be more consistent. Practice practice practice!

ActionRC
2010.07.19, 10:49 AM
WHAT AN EXCITING AND INTERESTING NIGHT! I had a great time racing, and there were so many cool things going on in all of the races.

WIDE STOCK
A Main: Phil hung onto the lead lap, but Eugene took the win. Nat was less than 3 seconds back from Phil. Crop finished on Nat's lap, but didn't make it through the counter on time. Tom was 5 seconds back from Crop, and Shafiq, who has been consistently running well, had problems after 25 laps.

B Main: We all got SPANKED by Dominick! He lapped the entire field (!!!), which included (sorry to name names, but I'm an honest reporter) Jack, Marty, me, Tom Sr., and Jason. His fastest lap time was almost half a second faster than anyone else's in the race. (10.19 vs. Marty's 10.58) We had a great battle for 2nd between Jack, Marty, and myself, and Tom Sr. was right there as well, but it all seemed irrelevant after getting completely "dom"inated by a 10 year old. Jason was Bubble Boy - right inbetween the B and C group, but making continual improvements. (As many people told The Doctor this weekend - slow down your car and your lap times will go up - it's too fast!)

C Main: The Battle of the Joes brought Joe G to Victory Lane this weekend over Joe D, with Raj working his way back where he likes to be, the C Main, finishing 2nd. Bobby D finished in 4th.

NARROW SPEC
A Main: A respectable run by Tom P, who finished in second behind Phil*. (*Note: Eugene completing one lap may have had something to do with this, however.) While Phil and Tom battled for the lead, Crop and Shafiq battled for 3rd. Nat and (who else) DOMINICK battled for 5th, with Nat finishing just 3 seconds ahead of Dominick. Marty finished 7th with Eugene last with 1 lap.

B Main: With 8 cars and a full grid starting the A, Tom Sr did not make the A, which put him in with all of us misfits in the B. However, us misfits (me, Joe G, and Joe G) all finished ahead of him, as Tom Sr. finished 4th. Raj lead, then Sr. lead most of the race, then I passed him with 5 to go when he had trouble - and a 90 second lap! Sorry, Sr.!

FORMULA 1
As Eugene mentioned, he was trying to go as quickly as he could, and just squeezed in a 39: 7.00.15 lap run. (He hit 42 for his A Main win.) Everyone was pretty much split by two laps after that, so there weren't too many battles for position in this one.

Points are posted on the web. Rob and Eugene each have 2 100's, so it will be interesting to see what Rob does over the next few weekends. Right now Eugene's got Nat by 5. Jack's got me by 2 in Div 2, so I'll definitely be gunning for him on Saturday! Dominick will be on our heels VERY soon, and has 2 88's holding him down for now. He'll be missing a few weeks in August, and this could really hurt his chances of steeling my Div 2 title away. You may want to cancel those camping trips, Dom! Raj is back in Div 3 with a 6 point lead on Joe D. In Narrow, EMU and Potter are TIED FOR THE DIV 1 LEAD! I've got Raj by 6 in Div 2, but with a few drivers bouncing from A's to B's, this could change at any time. In F1, Eugene leads Shafiq by 3.

More Dominick News throughout the week! :rolleyes::mad:

I also made a cool change to the layout this week that I cannot wait to see how it plays out. The lap counter has been moved, which will definitely change those last split-second battles. It also gives me some different ways to arrange the near-side during layout changes, so look for some different types of near side layouts soon!

See everyone Tuesday!

jackg
2010.07.19, 10:25 PM
cant wait until sat night. i still hate F1 but some how i also love it. they are mini-z's but they handle like nothing else. the F1 is very unforgiving to ham-handed driving. thats why i struggle:p:p -j

KA2AEV
2010.07.20, 09:08 AM
cant wait until sat night. i still hate F1 but some how i also love it. they are mini-z's but they handle like nothing else. the F1 is very unforgiving to ham-handed driving. thats why i struggle:p:p -j

Jack maybe if you put the Ham down and concentrated on driving you'd do better?:D

jackg
2010.07.20, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=ActionRC;388717]WHAT AN EXCITING AND INTERESTING NIGHT! I had a great time racing, and there were so many cool things going on in all of the races.

WIDE STOCK
A Main: Phil hung onto the lead lap, but Eugene took the win. Nat was less than 3 seconds back from Phil. Crop finished on Nat's lap, but didn't make it through the counter on time. Tom was 5 seconds back from Crop, and Shafiq, who has been consistently running well, had problems after 25 laps.

B Main: We all got SPANKED by Dominick! He lapped the entire field (!!!), which included (sorry to name names, but I'm an honest reporter) Jack, Marty, me, Tom Sr., and Jason. His fastest lap time was almost half a second faster than anyone else's in the race. (10.19 vs. Marty's 10.58) We had a great battle for 2nd between Jack, Marty, and myself, and Tom Sr. was right there as well, but it all seemed irrelevant after getting completely "dom"inated by a 10 year old. Jason was Bubble Boy - right inbetween the B and C group, but making continual improvements. (As many people told The Doctor this weekend - slow down your car and your lap times will go up - it's too fast!)

I CAN STAY SILENT NO MORE
i will say only this. I caught Dom three seperate times(1.7sec behind AND closing) but some newer drivers made it impossible to pass. Al was in the race but would have normally advised the driver in question to move over on the PA. a note to the new racers- if someone keeps coming up on you for the lap they are faster than you. You lose nothing by letting them go but holding them up can cost a race/points. i am not a "leada leada leada!!" kind of driver but i could have used a little room.... by the way-yes im talking about james:p. hes getting better each time just needs more track time. -j

Fifty7
2010.07.20, 11:54 AM
I CAN STAY SILENT NO MORE
i will say only this. I caught Dom three seperate times(1.7sec behind AND closing) but some newer drivers made it impossible to pass. Al was in the race but would have normally advised the driver in question to move over on the PA. a note to the new racers- if someone keeps coming up on you for the lap they are faster than you. You lose nothing by letting them go but holding them up can cost a race/points. i am not a "leada leada leada!!" kind of driver but i could have used a little room.... by the way-yes im talking about james:p. hes getting better each time just needs more track time. -j

Oh boy. We're gonna have the dreaded should you pull over or not conversation again :eek: But......you are correct on this one.

ActionRC
2010.07.20, 11:58 AM
James?

I hear ya, Jack. It's sometimes tough to get by lapped traffic, especially when they're newer drivers that don't always have the best car control. It especially stinks when those factors cost you a win and points. However, and I'd say this about any drivers, including myself - not just you or Dominick or anyone else - the car that beat us had to get by the same lapped cars we did, so it equals out - unless that lapped car let the other driver go and not you (or me for that matter, in this case.) For me personally, there were times that I got caught up in traffic, but when the traffic was clear and it was just me and Dom, he caught me every time cleanly. He was just much faster than me - consistently - and even ran a better line than I did. I may have worked my way up here and there also, but overall, I got spanked! (I'm not saying you didn't catch him, by the way. You ran better than I did also, and I had nothing for you or Dom. Next week will be a different story! :mad: )

ShortBus
2010.07.20, 12:16 PM
ut oh...... can't we all just get along???

Fifty7
2010.07.20, 12:59 PM
James?

I hear ya, Jack. It's sometimes tough to get by lapped traffic, especially when they're newer drivers that don't always have the best car control. It especially stinks when those factors cost you a win and points. However, and I'd say this about any drivers, including myself - not just you or Dominick or anyone else - the car that beat us had to get by the same lapped cars we did, so it equals out - unless that lapped car let the other driver go and not you (or me for that matter, in this case.) For me personally, there were times that I got caught up in traffic, but when the traffic was clear and it was just me and Dom, he caught me every time cleanly. He was just much faster than me - consistently - and even ran a better line than I did. I may have worked my way up here and there also, but overall, I got spanked! (I'm not saying you didn't catch him, by the way. You ran better than I did also, and I had nothing for you or Dom. Next week will be a different story! :mad: )

Absolutely, no argument there. I finished 3rd but cannot make any excuses, I was not gonna catch Dom or Jack but it was gonna be a closer finish than it was:p. But you're right Dom put himself up front and stayed clean. He did not "luck" into any win he has recently earned.

Of course we can but then what would we talk about here since Scott gave up on his question of the week after week 1.

jackg
2010.07.20, 01:10 PM
we get along just fine:D actually Dom got caught up with lapped traffic a few times as well-i just had a little less luck. Al and i hit all the time while trying to get out of eachothers way because one night he's way faster than me and another night im a little quicker and yes, you should pull over-just dont do what i do and cross over someones line to do it. i took Emu out like three times sat night by not getting out of the way at the right place or time. im learning...-j

KA2AEV
2010.07.20, 03:24 PM

Oh Man He beat me to it! :rolleyes:

EMU
2010.07.20, 04:11 PM
i took Emu out like three times sat night by not getting out of the way at the right place or time. im learning...-j

Yes, you did :rolleyes: If anyone watched the 24h of Le Mans, the same situation occurred that happened with me and Jack. I was coming up on him fast. He was on the inside entering the corner, so I was setting up to go outside on the sweeper. He quickly moved over to the outside, so I got pinched into the wall. I wasnt trying to pass on the sweeper, more like to setup for the tight corner after the sweeper. In general, you want to let the person passing take the inside, but if you are on the inside, be prepared for them to take the outside. Deciding upon entry of the corner that you are going to move outside to give room, isnt enough time. I didnt get upset, I actually thought it was funny when it happened. It was a learning experience for us both.

What I find funny, is that there hasnt been much of this conversation for a while... I think that everyone in the A group understands where a pass is going to occur, and doesnt try to fight it.

jackg
2010.07.21, 08:42 AM
its just the A/B bubble boy blues...:eek: -j

SaiTam
2010.07.21, 09:43 AM
This maybe off-topic but I found some awesome videos of 1992 R32 Skyline (the R246 Mini-z bodies) racing from Japan. The racing was divided into 3 classes (Class 1 - Skyline; Class 2 - M3; Class 3 - Civic/Corolla) all running at the same time. Enjoy and observe how the fast cars pass the slower cars. This video is Nat approved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TwQ13WCkc&feature=related

Let's run a Skyline SPEC class.

Dr. Kustom
2010.07.21, 10:55 AM
After watching that video, it makes me want to play GT4 again.

sjm324
2010.07.21, 12:35 PM
This maybe off-topic but I found some awesome videos of 1992 R32 Skyline (the R246 Mini-z bodies) racing from Japan. The racing was divided into 3 classes (Class 1 - Skyline; Class 2 - M3; Class 3 - Civic/Corolla) all running at the same time. Enjoy and observe how the fast cars pass the slower cars. This video is Nat approved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7TwQ13WCkc&feature=related

SAI, cool videos...A Skyline Spec class would be cool

ActionRC
2010.07.21, 01:30 PM
This just in! AWD chassis' are going to have independant wishbone suspension!

30590B MA-010 DWS (Double Wishbone Suspension) Chassis set ASF 2.4GHz (Chassis set)

MDW100 Rear Double Wishbone Suspension Set (AWD)

Did I just FINALLY figure out how to insert a picture??!! :eek:

ActionRC
2010.07.21, 01:30 PM
Guess not. :(

ActionRC
2010.07.21, 01:33 PM

Wow - We need hot umbrella girls!

If Kyosho had unpainted Skylines I'd be all for it.

Dr. Kustom
2010.07.21, 01:36 PM
Wow - We need hot umbrella girls!
+1 on that. :D

Did you ordered the new double wishbones for the AWD?

ActionRC
2010.07.21, 01:49 PM
The "suggested" retail is very expensive, so I want to see pricing first before I order. I am waiting for this info from Kyosho.

ActionRC
2010.07.21, 02:26 PM
+1 on that. :D

Did you order the new double wishbones for the AWD?

Chassis will be about $199. Kit will be about $80. Probably something I'll special order rather than stock. If anyone is interested, let me know ASAP so I can hold pre-order! In the Mini-Z world, "You snooze, you loose!" :p

EMU
2010.07.21, 05:45 PM
Al, I will take one, and prepay as well if needed.

J-Milz
2010.07.21, 06:32 PM
Did they switch the board and servo motor to the MR03 version for that new AWD? Id hate to spend $200 bucks for a old AWD with a glorified SAS system. :eek:

GTR driver
2010.07.22, 03:08 AM

I'm all for it!:D make it AWD and skyline Group A bodies. Group A class

GTR driver
2010.07.22, 03:11 AM
Chassis will be about $199. Kit will be about $80. Probably something I'll special order rather than stock. If anyone is interested, let me know ASAP so I can hold pre-order! In the Mini-Z world, "You snooze, you loose!" :p

We'll talk thursday ;)

Slapstick10
2010.07.22, 11:27 AM
Who dislikes Potter?

Tom is an old coot! Set in his ways and pisses people off!
Is Tom an A main driver or a grease monkey for the unfortunate?

My feelings : Tom has always went out of his way to help me if needed. Always available to help trouble shoot a car. But never fixes my cars for me. An occasional hand with the famous C clips or a diff....yes. But actually being my pit guy....no

What do you think about POTTER? Is he living his A Main dreams through others.....?:)

J-Milz
2010.07.22, 11:47 AM
Scott, WTF? :eek:

ActionRC
2010.07.22, 12:02 PM
There has never been a bigger can of worms than this. (Hilareous, though! :D )

Here's my breakdown of Mr. Potter: He, like me, will like you at first, and you have to give him a reason to dislike you. Rarely does he dislike someone on sight without reason. Once you cross him, you must then work to get back in his good graces. It takes time, sometimes. Believe it or not, he is an optimist, despite his always constant dislike of my layout changes (which he always grows to like, or he would wouldn't complain that I am changing the layout he disliked prior to the new layout. Get it?) He will help anyone, and answer anyone's questions, but if you ask for advice, and then don't try it, or do the opposite, that is the biggest way to cross TP. If you ask him for advice, try it first, and then you can change it if you feel it did not work for you. Don't try it, or do the opposite and ignore the advice you ask for, and you're on his list. There's no one who will put all his stuff aside to help another driver more than TP, but if you cross him, he'll never want to help you again - but probably will anyway. He always does what's right for the benefit of the track, and was invaluable during the heat-wave move from Ellis Street. He understands and has extensive knowledge of real mechanics, which he uses on his own cars and Mini-Z's, and helps everyone understand the relationships between real car physics and Mini-Z physics, which have many parallels that he points out. He is stubborn, opinionated, and thickheaded, but his opinions are based on real experiences and knowledge, so they are valuable. His belief of his opinions to be true is equal to or greater than Crop's, and that is a positive characteristic - especially if you want to be an attorney, or just someone who likes to be right (which is why Crop and TP can butt heads and still be pals.) To know TP is an experience and a privelage, and we are lucky to have him at ARCMS. It wouldn't be the same without him.

ActionRC
2010.07.22, 12:03 PM
Scott, WTF? :eek:

PS - Jamil and everyone: We were joking around Tuesday that it would be funny to put a question like this up about Tom to piss him off - it's all in humor.

hpotter
2010.07.22, 12:07 PM
Lets see...

1--He's loud, obnoxious, concieted, self centered, borderline schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder
2--He never helps anyone, all he does is sit at his little pit area looking for ways to cheat because all that matters to him is winning at any cost
3--He has delusions of grandeur concerning his driving ability when in reality he really isn't that good
4--He has no problem taking anyone out to win a race (including children)
5--He gives Al an average of 10 extra gray hairs a night

All in all I'd say not that bad of a guy (please refer to the multiple personality statement above)

sjm324
2010.07.22, 12:09 PM
Scott...i think you opened a can of worms with this question....i dont agree with your line of questioning here...i like tom even though he is crazy :)...i will leave it at that

adam

rajiex
2010.07.22, 12:20 PM
Tom has always been willing to help when you ask and even when you don't. Tom meaning to help is not that he fixes the problem for you himself but showing you how to do it yourself. This is the most valuable way to learn even if I don't understand the all the subtle nuances of setups. Tom has showed me to how to rebuild a ball diff, find the tweak in a chasis and how to make ever slight adustments that pay off on the track. If he did this himself, first I would never learn about the physics of a car and secondly what would I do if he was not there; sit out the race.

The guys at Action are really great and always ready to teach, mentor and help. EMU, Nat, Tom, Al and Scott all are ready to help newbies and that is why I keep coming back.

Tom is similar to Dr. Frankenstein, the orginial as in the book, he helps and helps until he creates a monster (Dominick). Even though Frankenstein's monster loves the Dr., he eventually and unintentionally kills him. Just look at Dom's fast lap they are sometimes beating Toms's. A monster for some is a protege for others.

If I have the ability to drive and Tom keeps helping me, I also hope to be Dr. Frankenstein's monster. Watch out Tom, I am coming.:rolleyes:

Fifty7
2010.07.22, 12:20 PM
There has never been a bigger can of worms than this. (Hilareous, though! :D )

Here's my breakdown of Mr. Potter: He, like me, will like you at first, and you have to give him a reason to dislike you. Rarely does he dislike someone on sight without reason. Once you cross him, you must then work to get back in his good graces. It takes time, sometimes. Believe it or not, he is an optimist, despite his always constant dislike of my layout changes (which he always grows to like, or he would wouldn't complain that I am changing the layout he disliked prior to the new layout. Get it?) He will help anyone, and answer anyone's questions, but if you ask for advice, and then don't try it, or do the opposite, that is the biggest way to cross TP. If you ask him for advice, try it first, and then you can change it if you feel it did not work for you. Don't try it, or do the opposite and ignore the advice you ask for, and you're on his list. There's no one who will put all his stuff aside to help another driver more than TP, but if you cross him, he'll never want to help you again - but probably will anyway. He always does what's right for the benefit of the track, and was invaluable during the heat-wave move from Ellis Street. He understands and has extensive knowledge of real mechanics, which he uses on his own cars and Mini-Z's, and helps everyone understand the relationships between real car physics and Mini-Z physics, which have many parallels that he points out. He is stubborn, opinionated, and thickheaded, but his opinions are based on real experiences and knowledge, so they are valuable. His belief of his opinions to be true is equal to or greater than Crop's, and that is a positive characteristic - especially if you want to be an attorney, or just someone who likes to be right (which is why Crop and TP can butt heads and still be pals.) To know TP is an experience and a privelage, and we are lucky to have him at ARCMS. It wouldn't be the same without him.

I am dying over here. I was there for the conversation but didn't think he'd post it. Al - you hit the nail on the head and theres not much that i can add except maybe if you've just met him for the 1st time he may come off a little rough but that's just his ever present dry sense of humor (flashing back to the torture he put Mike Haynes through at the Winter/Spring Nats)and it only lasts until you get to know him. He is also a very generous person especially with the younger guys at Action. Lastly, enjoy him now because i have a feeling after sitting through Justin Bieber next month he'll never be the same:D

See you all tonight. Married again this week so only Thursday night but single for 2 weeks starting Monday:D

Fifty7
2010.07.22, 12:22 PM
Scott...i think you opened a can of worms with this question....i dont agree with your line of questioning here...i like tom even though he is crazy :)...i will leave it at that

adam

No, it was definitely all in fun and an extension of a conversation at the track, although i seem to remember it being about whether or not he's a hack:p

rajiex
2010.07.22, 12:23 PM

adam

Is there anyone sane in this place? We spend bundles of money, leave our families at home, miss out on beautiful summer evenings to drive the mini z faster than anyone else. Yes, I am nuts and proud of it.
Is this a sign that I am mini z addict?

sjm324
2010.07.22, 12:32 PM
This is freakin hilarious, i said to myself wtf, i originally only saw scotts first post and did not see any others, looking forward to racing tonight, i am sure there will be many laughs tonight.

ActionRC
2010.07.22, 01:00 PM
The guys at Action are really great and always ready to teach, mentor and help. EMU, Nat, Tom, Al and Scott all are ready to help newbies and that is why I keep coming back.

Scott's not a Newbie anymore? :rolleyes:

ShortBus
2010.07.22, 01:16 PM
wow........

GTR driver
2010.07.23, 02:50 AM
Tom is a great guy.....except when he punts me into a wall. :p He is very helpful with set ups. Taught me alot of tricks and gave me plenty of advice since I first started. The track wouldn't be the same without him.

Slapstick10
2010.07.23, 08:23 AM
You people suck!!!! I put a question up there for all to bash Tom and what do you do....... I like tom he's my friend......he's a great guy! he's my hero!

Blah...Blah....Blah....

Tom was looking for honest reactions and you failed my friend. Tom I'm your true friend and you suck . You piss me off at times and I am secretly cheering when Crop puts you into the wall!

But you are a good guy!!!!!!;)

Fifty7
2010.07.23, 08:49 AM
Great racing lats night. It's never fun to lose but it helps when your actually racing someone and fighting not to be last for almost the whole 7 minutes was a lot of fun. Me and Adam swapped places more times than i could even count an finished i think 18 hundredths of a second apart. My eyes were burning and blurry but i'm pretty sure we raced each other relatively clean and each of us got into the boards by no fault of the other. We had nothing for Rob or Nat (whos car is ridiculous:p) and may have had something for Tom if we kept it a little cleaner.

Al - Please hold me one of those bodies if they get there on Saturday, I'll try and stop in to get it but if not Saturday then definitely Tuesday.

Anyone - I know nothing of RC other than the cheap Toy's R Us stuff i used as a kid but i'm looking for something decent just to mess around with in the street and maybe a little dirt. Something durable and can be run pretty much out of the box with decent speed and preferably something that will work with the Helios or Futaba 2PL. Any suggestions?

ShortBus
2010.07.23, 11:04 AM
Marty, my son was just looking for something similiar. Brownies had a bunch of 16th and 18th scale ready-to-run in the 2-250 range. They also had a rally car that could be driven body on and off road. As far as the helios, you would need to get yourself a spektrum module and recv'er and they work great.

Jeff

hpotter
2010.07.23, 11:32 AM
Marty look into the Traxxas Stampedes, its one of the best basher trucks there is (IMO).

Scott, I don't know what happened, I guess my delusions that everyone loves me is actually true :D:D.

Also agree with Marty--Nats car is a beast, and looking at last nights racing he had identical fast lap times with Rob. All of Nats cars are awesome but lately he's just stepped up his driving to a whole different level. Last night was a first for me, instead of punting Nat into the wall I punted myself into the wall because I got scared when he was coming up to lap me :).

J-Milz
2010.07.23, 11:59 AM
Marty, the stampede like Tom stated is great. However if you get the urge to wanna race it. You can't. IMO the slash is a better fit. It shares the same chassis as the pede, but looks more realistic like a short course truck, and there are tracks in long island and upstate where you can race them in a spec class. The mini slash is cool too. It's a bit more money but the 1/16 scale is perfect for back yard abuse. Maj has a class for them in NJ if you have a urge. I just bought a spec slash on the rctech forum for $75 bucks.

ActionRC
2010.07.23, 01:40 PM
FUN NIGHT LAST NIGHT! It was great to have the Potter discussion in person as well!

Marty - Justin and I got HPI Wheely Kings, and we love them. I even bought a rock crawler conversion for mine. I can send you some links to show you some things I can get for you - including anything Traxxas. Nothing is better for bashing with the kids than a true monster truck.

Fifty7
2010.07.23, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not in a hurry so I'll have to look into all these and see what i would want to do.

ActionRC
2010.07.23, 02:37 PM
Thursday points are updated on-line right now!

PS - In the A, Marty and Adam swapped 4th and 5th 8 times from laps 15-37 - just at the lap counter! In the C, Eddie and Kevin swapped 1st and 2nd 10 times at the lap counter! Great racing all around! :)

ActionRC
2010.07.23, 02:39 PM
PSS - For those who asked, the new AWD car has the original 2.4 AWD board - not an 03 board. :(

Fifty7
2010.07.23, 05:05 PM
Thursday points are updated on-line right now!

PS - In the A, Marty and Adam swapped 4th and 5th 8 times from laps 15-37 - just at the lap counter! In the C, Eddie and Kevin swapped 1st and 2nd 10 times at the lap counter! Great racing all around! :)

Thursday only shows week 1

J-Milz
2010.07.23, 05:17 PM
PSS - For those who asked, the new AWD car has the original 2.4 AWD board - not an 03 board. :(

Boo! :mad: I would like to have seen a gyro in the awd as well.

CDR racing
2010.07.23, 05:25 PM
Boo! :mad: I would like to have seen a gyro in the awd as well.

Ohh Boy...here comes can of worms #2 for the week.

Fifty7
2010.07.23, 05:31 PM
Ohh Boy...here comes can of worms #2 for the week.

Ewwwww. worm gyros:eek:

KA2AEV
2010.07.23, 11:09 PM
Scott, I don't know what happened, I guess my delusions that everyone loves me is actually true :D:D.

Tom no delusions when it comes to Golddust and myself
We think you're a terrible person and hate your guts
So I guess Scott is correct
Telling the truth is the sign of a true friend

BTW we're up here at Pocono and everything has been
rained out
NASCAR Experience has been cancelled because we had a Tornado
Warning this afternoon
Im hoping for a soon reschedule

Seeya'll Tuesday :eek: :D

philly123
2010.07.24, 01:49 AM
Tom no delusions when it comes to Golddust and myself
We think you're a terrible person and hate your guts
So I guess Scott is correct
Telling the truth is the sign of a true friend

OH GAWD:eek::eek::confused::eek:

EMU
2010.07.24, 07:32 AM
I like the Potter, regardless of what you all say about him.

We have great Mini-Z discussions, and even when he puts me to the wall, he does it in such a way, that he makes me think its my fault. He has a great fundamental understanding of how the cars work, and is always willing to help anyone who asks a question, as long as they arent faster than him. He adds a certain excitement when racing, that is very hard to find in a racing environment.

Fifty7
2010.07.24, 09:39 AM
You asked for it. You got it.....:D:D

KA2AEV
2010.07.24, 10:50 AM
OH GAWD:eek::eek::confused::eek:

Hey if youcannot speak bad about a person and its the truth, why say it at all?:rolleyes:

hpotter
2010.07.25, 01:26 AM
WOW! What a scorcher today, I can't believe this heat. Even so there was awesome racing tonight again. I really can't believe how good everyone is getting, there are no more guarantees as to who will make the A-Main. Some standouts are: Raj-getting better and learning how to handle his cars (there great btw), Joe-starting to add some speed now to his very consistent, slow but steady driving (boy doesn't that reverse stink), Scott-glad your getting happy with your cars again (that doesn't sound right), Dominick-again taking the B-Main win and nearly lapping the field (this time with the Mosler), and also again making the A-main in narrow for I don't know how many weeks in a row. Boy I feel like I'm standing still while everyone is stepping up their games, but all is good as the racing is more and more competitive and fun.

Sidenote: I do not endorse this weeks track layout :(

ShortBus
2010.07.25, 11:05 AM
I like the "real" Tom, not this kiss @$$, suck up version !!!!!

EMU
2010.07.25, 11:16 AM
Racing was good last night. Everyone shows more improvement each week.
Crop switched to the 430GT in wide, and picked up a little pace. We had a good battle for half of the main.

Nat defended well in narrow. I had to work hard, and a couple times we came together, and I got by, but it wasnt clean, so I let him get in front to do it the right way.

In F1 I was trying a new car that I built up this week. Which is the one that I am planning on using at the PN race next week. Testing went well, but I have my work cut out for me.

hpotter
2010.07.25, 01:45 PM
I like the "real" Tom, not this kiss @$$, suck up version !!!!!

Oh trust me, the "real" Tom is still present and accounted for, he's just been taking a little break and trying to deal with the heat. He's tired of losing and will be kicking some racing @$$ and taking names. But never fear Shortbus--win or lose the personality stays the same :D

KA2AEV
2010.07.25, 03:15 PM
WOW! What a scorcher today, I can't believe this heat. Even so there was awesome racing tonight again. I really can't believe how good everyone is getting, there are no more guarantees as to who will make the A-Main. Some standouts are: Raj-getting better and learning how to handle his cars (there great btw), Joe-starting to add some speed now to his very consistent, slow but steady driving (boy doesn't that reverse stink), Scott-glad your getting happy with your cars again (that doesn't sound right), Dominick-again taking the B-Main win and nearly lapping the field (this time with the Mosler), and also again making the A-main in narrow for I don't know how many weeks in a row. Boy I feel like I'm standing still while everyone is stepping up their games, but all is good as the racing is more and more competitive and fun.

Sidenote: I do not endorse this weeks track layout :(

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE TOM WE KNOW AND LOVE?:eek:

Slapstick10
2010.07.25, 06:25 PM
" he puts me to the wall, he does it in such a way, that he makes me think its my fault"

This my friends is the quote that made me think of this weeks question!

As you progress in the world in MiniZ racing who do you think is the biggest Hack in Action RC history?

Now the answers are all going to be different because we all race in different mains. Also someone who has been racing at action for years might pick someone we dont know. There is no right or wrong answer its opinionated!

Also ....I don't think one race justifies the hack title. Its racing it happens!!!:D

J-Milz
2010.07.25, 06:39 PM
Hack master flex..... AKA Al. :D
Lil Mikey was pretty bad too!

TomSr
2010.07.25, 07:00 PM
:rolleyes: I was thinking the following with last week's question but I refrained from saying it... but this time I'm thinking I'll go ahead and say what I thinking:

I think that any questions that get "personal" are a very dangerous path to be walking. We are all friends at ARCMS and joking, teasing, busting in person is all well and good (even that though can get close to the edge:D)...but my career experience has had me come to know that the "typed" word can lead to uninhibited trouble. I know this is all in good fun, I really do. But at some point "personal" discussions can, and will, lead to someone's feelings getting hurt.

Just a word of caution from the old guy at the track. Don't mean to put a damper on the fun...and feel free to boo me for speaking up...but I think it may be wiser to stick to "non-personal" topics here and save the name by name busting for in person fun. In the meatime, when you respond...just take a moment to reread/reflect on the response in that light before hitting "submit". OK - let the boo's begin.... :cool:

hpotter
2010.07.25, 07:33 PM
:rolleyes: I was thinking the following with last week's question but I refrained from saying it... but this time I'm thinking I'll go ahead and say what I thinking:

I think that any questions that get "personal" are a very dangerous path to be walking. We are all friends at ARCMS and joking, teasing, busting in person is all well and good (even that though can get close to the edge:D)...but my career experience has had me come to know that the "typed" word can lead to uninhibited trouble. I know this is all in good fun, I really do. But at some point "personal" discussions can, and will, lead to someone's feelings getting hurt.

Just a word of caution from the old guy at the track. Don't mean to put a damper on the fun...and feel free to boo me for speaking up...but I think it may be wiser to stick to "non-personal" topics here and save the name by name busting for in person fun. In the meatime, when you respond...just take a moment to reread/reflect on the response in that light before hitting "submit". OK - let the boo's begin.... :cool:

Finally, a voice of reason and maturity. As far as your question, my answer would be anyone that ever finishes in front of me because as we all know I am the best driver that ActionRC has ever seen, I mean really, how else could I possibly lose :confused:?

monkey19
2010.07.25, 07:58 PM
The mini slash is cool too. It's a bit more money but the 1/16 scale is perfect for back yard abuse. Maj has a class for them in NJ if you have a urge. I just bought a spec slash on the rctech forum for $75 bucks.

i want to pick up a slash as well, do they run brushless class?

KA2AEV
2010.07.25, 08:05 PM

I think that any questions that get "personal" are a very dangerous path to :

I have to agree with Tom, A question like that could start someone on the path to hard feelings
even tho some of us on here have thick skin, you never know when you can catch someone at a bad point in their life
So to quote the Sargent from Hill Street Blues (For those of you who are old enough :D)
Lets be careful out there!

KA2AEV
2010.07.25, 08:06 PM
Finally, a voice of reason and maturity. As far as your question, my answer would be anyone that ever finishes in front of me because as we all know I am the best driver that ActionRC has ever seen, I mean really, how else could I possibly lose :confused:?

Tom
Man Im not sure where you've been, but someone was playing imposter on here with your screen name
Glad to have ya back son!:rolleyes:

J-Milz
2010.07.26, 08:01 AM
i want to pick up a slash as well, do they run brushless class?

It depends on where you wanna race. The brushless slashes are usually the modified races. The out the box slash races are best. The competition is closer.

Fifty7
2010.07.26, 12:14 PM
" he puts me to the wall, he does it in such a way, that he makes me think its my fault"

This my friends is the quote that made me think of this weeks question!

As you progress in the world in MiniZ racing who do you think is the biggest Hack in Action RC history?

Now the answers are all going to be different because we all race in different mains. Also someone who has been racing at action for years might pick someone we dont know. There is no right or wrong answer its opinionated!

Also ....I don't think one race justifies the hack title. Its racing it happens!!!:D

I'm not sure there really is any one person i could call a hack. We've all done it at some point and we'll all do it again in the future but to me, if I'm gonna call you a hack that means you hit me every time you pass me and i honestly don't think we have that problem. There's the new guys who maybe get intimidated by a car about to lap them and they aren't really sure how to get out of the way but that will come with practice (i think I'm getting good at getting out of the way :D). On the other side of that we also have the veterans who, depending on the race situation either wait patiently for a passing opportunity orrrrrr plow right through you, but like i said i don't think anyone does it on a regular basis to warrant being called a hack. My other category of people (which i think i am in myself) are the people who have now learned to handle a little more speed but still need passing practice. Me personally, I'll follow behind you until you slip up and try and get by but unless I have reason from earlier in the race i will never just force my way through. I won't always get by clean but I'm not purposely hacking anyone. Maybe I'm just too passive and give people the benefit of the doubt but that's my opinion. Yes Nat even after "Marty is that you in front of me?" CRACK!!! :p

CDR racing
2010.07.26, 01:38 PM
Yes Nat even after "Marty is that you in front of me?" CRACK!!! :p

Let's not forget:

"Crop Go" *I get by, Tom tries to go with me* CRACK!!!

ActionRC
2010.07.26, 02:22 PM
Hey, everyone!

1) Points are posted up on the website.

2) Great racing Saturday night! Thanks for enduring the heat. I know it was a little worse than normal. It was 88° outside when I got in the car to leave - after redoing the entire layout. (Thanks to everyone who stayed and helped!) My body and especially my head definitely felt overheated, so as soon as I got home I jumped in the pool and stayed in (by myself, the moon, and Sirius Coffeehouse) until 3am. I felt pretty good after that, so I watched Jennifer's Body with Megan Fox. (I was in the mood for a horror movie, and when presented with the option of watching one with her in it, I knew I couldn't go wrong.) I find it so difficult to fall asleep after Saturday night racing!

3) I think I'll stay away from Poll Question 5 too. I am a hack sometimes, but so are all of you. We've all done it, but it's not on purpose. Crashing into someone doesn't always make you a hack. I only hacked Crop in the narrow class on purpose because neither of us took that class too seriously at the time, so we would try to take each other out on purpose. (Believe it or not, the point of the narrow class when it first started was to give everyone a chance to rough each other up on purpose, but it evolved into a more serious class. I wish it would go back to being a hackfest - it was fun! Maybe we can incorporate that into rally if we could all agree to not take the class too seriously and accept being taken out as part of the race.) I've hacked, I've been hacked, but I don't think I would call anyone "a hack" - including myself - and I'd admit if I were. Wait a minute - I think SCOTT's a hack! (Here's my butt-covering smiley face::)) I agree with Tom Sr. - the personal questions leave too much to leave to interpretation of being serious or a joke when put in writing. ;)

4) I was thinking of doing another Thursday/Friday swap this week. Johnathan is still away upstate (which makes it sound like he's in prision) and Crop has football, and I'd like to hit Pt. Pleasant with the family this week - which I always miss because they go without me. Anyone have any issues with swapping the days this week?

hpotter
2010.07.26, 02:46 PM
Hmm, a class with hacking on purpose...very interesting--sounds like a class I could be a contender in.

Fifty7
2010.07.26, 04:40 PM
Hmm, a class with hacking on purpose...very interesting--sounds like a class I could be a contender in.

lets make it even better. With teams:D:D

KA2AEV
2010.07.26, 08:34 PM
lets make it even better. With teams:D:D

Okay who wants Golddust? :rolleyes:

SaiTam
2010.07.27, 12:08 AM

We did a race at the other track where everyone could hack whoever is leading during the race. How does this sound?

Fifty7
2010.07.27, 09:05 AM
Hey, everyone!

4) I was thinking of doing another Thursday/Friday swap this week. Johnathan is still away upstate (which makes it sound like he's in prision) and Crop has football, and I'd like to hit Pt. Pleasant with the family this week - which I always miss because they go without me. Anyone have any issues with swapping the days this week?

I'm good with that. Working late Thursday so would've had to miss it anyway.

ActionRC
2010.07.27, 01:11 PM
We did a race at the other track where everyone could hack whoever is leading during the race. How does this sound?

That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

(I'll take Golddust on my team in a hack-anyone race!)

SaiTam
2010.07.27, 01:37 PM
In case a race night finishes early, let's do a "Hack the leader" race for fun and promote parts sales. Winner will get a band-aid for fixing the car.

J-Milz
2010.07.27, 01:38 PM
Hack fest huh? That sounds like fun. Can I run my Monster for that!!.:D You know what would be cool too, if we play soccer with the mini's using a ping pong ball!

Fifty7
2010.07.27, 02:28 PM
Hack fest huh? That sounds like fun. Can I run my Monster for that!!.:D You know what would be cool too, if we play soccer with the mini's using a ping pong ball!

Al could make more money if we use golf balls:D:D

Could be interesting. Teams of 2 racing to be the 1st to get their ball around the track. Blocking (hacking ) allowed.

Fifty7
2010.07.27, 02:29 PM
That actually sounds like a lot of fun!

(I'll take Golddust on my team in a hack-anyone race!)

Maybe if you do switch for Friday this week we can do it after the races.

EMU
2010.07.27, 04:32 PM
How about we get some airsoft guns, and run a team race where one teammate drives, and the other shoots the other cars to slow them down... :eek:

philly123
2010.07.28, 12:27 AM
How about we get some airsoft guns, and run a team race where one teammate drives, and the other shoots the other cars to slow them down... :eek:

Im sure al wouldnt mind a few holes in the RCP lol

Fifty7
2010.07.28, 07:13 AM
Im sure al wouldnt mind a few holes in the RCP lol

We could always use marshmallow guns :p

Slapstick10
2010.07.28, 08:08 AM
Ping Pong ball around the track!!! Awesome.....Mini Z Polo!!!!

How about something so simple its funny,

Backwards racing?

Three laps in reverse! with obstackles on the straight away!

Marty- I like your answer we are all Hacks(Al) in our own way!:D:D:D

Kevin S.
2010.07.28, 11:47 AM
Hey, everyone!

Hey Al,
Have you come to a conclusion yet if racing is going to be on Thursday Night or Friday night this week? Just curious:)

Fifty7
2010.07.28, 12:01 PM
Hey Al,
Have you come to a conclusion yet if racing is going to be on Thursday Night or Friday night this week? Just curious:)

Me too. Me too

hpotter
2010.07.28, 12:26 PM
As of last night the decision is to run Friday.

KA2AEV
2010.07.28, 03:50 PM
As of last night the decision is to run Friday.

I also remember that Al was going to make an announcement for the actual
change to Friday
So be patient:)

ActionRC
2010.07.28, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone! Action RC has had some great turnouts over the last few weeks, so we've had lots of fun race nights every night! Thank you to everyone who has been coming to race and practice, and if you haven't been around for a while, there has never been a better time than right now to make your comeback!

This week, Action RC will be open on Thursday as usual, but instead of our normal Thursday Night Points Racing, we will run an open practice night. We will be open on Friday at 7 for a bonus night - and "Thursday Night" points racing will be held on Friday! We had a really great turnout when we ran a few Fridays ago, so we'll do it again this week. Thursday night practice will be just $5, and Friday night racing will be $12. Saturday will be a regular Saturday points night.

I hope I made this clear, but if I did not, feel free to email me if you have any questions. See everyone soon!

ActionRC
2010.07.29, 03:00 PM
I love the polo (Mini-Z FIFA World Cup!) idea. Maybe we could attach some kind of plow looking device on the front, and play on the back straight. We could remove one grey piece at each the end of the straight for goals, and play 6 person teams - three forwards, 2 defense, and one goalie. I love it!!! This is a MUST to try!!! I am attaching a plow to my NASCAR!

RULES:
- Cars only w/ full body (no Monsters of Overlands).
- Must have plow not exceeding 6" in width and 2" in height.
- Plow must be cardboard or plastic. If it falls off, car must come off and be repaired, or...
- A substitute teammate can replace a car if off the field.
- Ping-pong ball or golf ball.
- No rear plows.
- THIS IS A FULL CONTACT SPORT. DO NOT PLAY IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR CAR!

I love it!!!

CDR racing
2010.07.29, 08:09 PM
- THIS IS A FULL CONTACT SPORT. DO NOT PLAY IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR CAR!

I love it!!!

Just let me know when I'll make sure i bring my pads home from my locker. :D

J-Milz
2010.07.29, 10:51 PM
Just let me know when. I have an awd am car that's dying to lay a smack down on ur candy a$$'s!!! We need those horns they had for the world cup. :D

rajiex
2010.07.30, 05:02 AM
We need those horns they had for the world cup. :D

I got one but my AWD is louder. As for full contact, what is the difference. Take a look at the C Mains.

ActionRC
2010.07.30, 01:08 PM
I have two world cup horns at my house (that we won at Point Pleasant) and I'm ready to go! How great would it be to have a team league for this with semi-finals and finals!? I'm building a plow very soon!

I actually starting thinking about how much fun this could be. Even if we did it after racing on Saturdays, or as a special Tuesday night feature, we could even have 4 person teams (2 offense, 1 defense, 1 goallie, of just 2 offense and 2 defense) and really play - like either a timed event or as a points event. (First to 5 points wins.) I like the timed event - like 4 5-minute quarters. I really think this would be a lot of fun. Each team could have a different paint scheme - like uniform. We really should develop this!

Can't wait for racing tonight! :D

Kevin S.
2010.07.30, 03:33 PM
Can't wait for racing tonight! :D
Only 2-1/2 more hours till racing tonight :D:D:D
See everyone in a little bit.

KA2AEV
2010.07.31, 11:43 PM
Great Saturday Night Racing
Many great Battles that were won

I even think I got the narrow Blues licked

I sure hope Crop recovers from his Stomach Virus :rolleyes:

hpotter
2010.08.01, 01:40 AM
Well mini z racers abroad, this is the beginning of the end of an era. I was defeated in a qualifier tonight, I won't say by who (but you know who you are..Dominick). My elite status as the top mini z driver is now inevitably coming to an abrupt end. I will now shrivel in a corner and cry...but on a happier note Crop is now a mommy--to 2,000,000,000 little fishy's :D.

Slapstick10
2010.08.01, 07:21 AM
What lenght of car do you prefer the most?
a) 90 b) 94 c) 98 d) 102

For me... I think when your a new driver a longer body is much more easier to control and keep stable on the straight away. Speed and cornering are factors for smaller bodies!

Which do you prefer?

PS: Tom welcome back to the B-Main my friend....LMAO...:D

KA2AEV
2010.08.01, 10:13 AM
Well mini z racers abroad, this is the beginning of the end of an era. I was defeated in a qualifier tonight, I won't say by who (but you know who you are..Dominick). My elite status as the top mini z driver is now inevitably coming to an abrupt end. I will now shrivel in a corner and cry...but on a happier note Crop is now a mommy--to 2,000,000,000 little fishy's :D.

Well I guess this would be approapriate to say then

Give me back that filet o'fish, give me back that fish! :D

KA2AEV
2010.08.01, 05:49 PM
Man Elliot Sadler is one Lucky *&%

Fifty7
2010.08.01, 08:51 PM
Man Elliot Sadler is one Lucky *&%

no joke. never seen an engine come out of a car.

KA2AEV
2010.08.01, 08:54 PM
no joke. never seen an engine come out of a car.

The way he was hanging out of the car and the way he looked after crawling out
We honestly thought that he was hurt alot more than just shaken up
Heard that NASCAR has G force sensors in the car to gauge hits like that
I would love to know how fast he ws moving when he hit that wall
Must have been close to 100 mph!

EMU
2010.08.01, 09:00 PM
What lenght of car do you prefer the most?
a) 90 b) 94 c) 98 d) 102

For me... I think when your a new driver a longer body is much more easier to control and keep stable on the straight away. Speed and cornering are factors for smaller bodies!

Which do you prefer?

PS: Tom welcome back to the B-Main my friend....LMAO...:D
My preference is based on the purpose of the build. Class it is meant to race in, power restrictions and track layout/grip conditions. In general, I like small cars for low power, and larger cars for more power. If we ran a 70t unlimited class, I would still use my f355 setup.

I couldnt get a hold of setup and luck was not in my favor at the PN regional. I broke my Pan body, and two that I was able to borrow :eek: I DNF'd in the Pan B main after breaking the side clip off. It took part of the side of the body with it, the glue held well. Both of the other bodies I broke the front right corner off... The Mini-Z gods did not want me running Pan.

In Mod GT, my LM car wasnt working too well. As the tires wore down, the car improved. At the end of practice last night, I broke my rear right wheel. So I had to put new tires on, and it made the car very loose. This morning the car was nearly undriveable. Yesterday, we had doors open and cieling fans going, today was doors closed and AC. This changed grip a lot, and not practicing in these conditions made every change that I made to have the cars steer more bite me. All of my cars lost rear grip. The track didnt really like the K20 radial. I got a hold of some prototype ATM rear tires which were already mounted to 20mm wheels (I was running 21mm wheels before) for the B main, and was able to stay on pace, but only finished 4th.

In F1, I struggled a bit to try to find a setup that I was able to put the power down and have the steering that I wanted. I used my 3 cars in 3 qualifiers, and ended up using the Ferrari for the main. The blue car that I had been working on last week and Friday which was my fastest car, developed steering jitters after the first qualifier, and I didnt want to risk transferring all of the parts to a new car, there simply wasnt time for that. Ran the Ferrari in the 2nd run, and it was my best qualifying run, putting me 2nd on the grid after the 2nd round behind Sai who was running my car. The car had a little too much hook entering the corner, but good once I was in and exiting.

In the morning practice before the 3rd round, I tried my white car, and it felt good, but didnt have enough steering. The tires were all glazed over, so I gave them a light true to give them a new surface. There was no practice between the trueing and the next qualifier, and when I put it on the track, the car couldnt turn without me slowing down a lot.

In the main, I went back to the Ferrari. I started 4th on the grid, and the car felt really good in the warm up laps. I felt that I had to have the best car on the grid. Off the start, my diff spun up, and I fell back a bit. Early on in the race, I got tangled with another driver, and the car want to crap. I broke one of the super soft prototype side plates. Not fully through, but enough that it was terrible to drive. Right turns hooked drastically, and left turns I had no steering. I ended up finishing 6th in the A. I felt like pulling off early and start packing, but decided to try as hard as I could and finish.

Overall, the race was a huge disappointment for me. I have never struggled at an event the way that I did at this event in the last 3 years.

Phil did pretty well, making both the stock and pan A mains. It was good to see him run well in qualifying, but he struggled a little in the mains as the track conditions continued to change, and I think his front tires were past their life cycle and the stock had run out... Most people ran the same front tire for stock, so it sold out pretty quickly.

There was a major traction roll problem. I rolled all of my cars, even my cars that push like hell everywhere else. I think that a car with drift tires would have front traction there... It was a little rediculous. The balance of grip front/rear is so much different than anywhere else. There is so much front bite.

Im going to put this race behind me, and focus on future races. I am going to pack up my LM car and save it for the next Carolina Cup race at the end of August in South Carolina. Who wants to go down and represent Action RC and try to take the team trophy back to Action with me?

Fifty7
2010.08.01, 09:03 PM
The way he was hanging out of the car and the way he looked after crawling out
We honestly thought that he was hurt alot more than just shaken up
Heard that NASCAR has G force sensors in the car to gauge hits like that
I would love to know how fast he ws moving when he hit that wall
Must have been close to 100 mph!

i was very surprised to see he wasnt hurt. I know they didnt have a good camera shot of it but it didnt look like he slowed down much

KA2AEV
2010.08.01, 10:22 PM
i was very surprised to see he wasnt hurt. I know they didnt have a good camera shot of it but it didnt look like he slowed down much

The few seconds of video of the impact were extremely scary
The dirt on the other side of the fence looked as if a bomb exploded
when he hit it
Even the after shot of the impact zone showed a massive crater
so that dirt had to have been packed in there tight!

philly123
2010.08.02, 12:10 AM
Phil did pretty well, making both the stock and pan A mains. It was good to see him run well in qualifying, but he struggled a little in the mains as the track conditions continued to change, and I think his front tires were past their life cycle and the stock had run out... Most people ran the same front tire for stock, so it sold out pretty quickly.

I finished up friday night practice running the reflex front end set up on both stock and mod pan. My cars felt decent but not really good enough. So, I decided to change both cars to the new PN front end the morning of the first day like an idiot but it ended up paying off. I was put in a crappy qualifier for stock so i was not able to get a good run until after the reshuffle and the 3rd round was the ticket. After my third run I stood third on the grid for stock below Chad and Davey G.
Pan car felt great but it was edgy at times. At first my front tires werent trued enough and then I trued them too far. As Eugene said there was no more 15s in stock so I had to make due. Also by the time pan car A was up(last race of the event) the front grip had increased a lot and my car started to dive when pushed so I pretty much stayed out of the way and finished the race. All in all it was a great race. I didnt expect to do anyting but once i got my cars up to pace my only goal was to make the A in the classes I was running and I did so I was pretty happy. I just wish i wouldve switched my front ends a few weeks before so i couldve tuned them alittle before going into this race, but theres always next year.

EMU
2010.08.02, 12:22 AM
I finished up friday night practice running the reflex front end set up on both stock and mod pan. My cars felt decent but not really good enough. So, I decided to change both cars to the new PN front end the morning of the first day like an idiot but it ended up paying off. I was put in a crappy qualifier for stock so i was not able to get a good run until after the reshuffle and the 3rd round was the ticket. After my third run I stood third on the grid for stock below Chad and Davey G.
Pan car felt great but it was edgy at times. At first my front tires werent trued enough and then I trued them too far. As Eugene said there was no more 15s in stock so I had to make due. Also by the time pan car A was up(last race of the event) the front grip had increased a lot and my car started to dive when pushed so I pretty much stayed out of the way and finished the race. All in all it was a great race. I didnt expect to do anyting but once i got my cars up to pace my only goal was to make the A in the classes I was running and I did so I was pretty happy. I just wish i wouldve switched my front ends a few weeks before so i couldve tuned them alittle before going into this race, but theres always next year.
You think the PN front end is better than Reflex? What aspect makes it better? Just curious... I ran Reflex outer spring setup with ATM tower on my mod GT, with soft low down springs that had a little droop, and soft springs in the standard position. I felt that the car gained steering into the corner, but felt that the car had just as good mid corner and exit as it would with a harder spring.

I would have liked to have seen more Action RC racers attend the race. It was a real learning experience, and I learned a lot of new things that I can apply on future setups. Also, you get to meet a lot of the fastest racers in the country.

philly123
2010.08.02, 12:30 AM
You think the PN front end is better than Reflex? What aspect makes it better? Just curious... I ran Reflex outer spring setup with ATM tower on my mod GT, with soft low down springs that had a little droop, and soft springs in the standard position. I felt that the car gained steering into the corner, but felt that the car had just as good mid corner and exit as it would with a harder spring.

Well first off the only moving piece on the kingpin is the bottom ball cup. I installed it without doing any work and it feels like butter on both cars. I like that i can put thick lube inside the spring bc its in the holder and not on the king pin so you can adjust dampening alittle that way. As far as on the track i feel that the PN set up has a lot more consistency and a lot more bite. I also watched cars that have the reflex and cars that have the pn and the pn cars have a lot more corner speed overall. I made the switch in stock and without doing any work to it my fast lap dropped from an 8.2 to an 8.0. And one last thing you dont have to dremel the body out like on some bodies to run the reflex set up.
I dont think it is as competitve as the double a-arm after watching racing today so that will prob be my next thing to work on.

EMU
2010.08.02, 12:40 AM
Now you are making me want to spend more money on these parts just to compare them back to back. Bang for the buck, the Reflex is stronger, but in the long run, this setup may be the way to go for now. I spent a lot of time talking with Jacob since I was pitting next to him, and he seemed to be struggling a lot trying to figure out how to get his car to do what he wanted. In the end, he was just trying to get the car to calm down and stop flipping. He ran his pan car in mod GT under a Mosler body, no changes since the other car wasnt working well. He got the board rewired and fetwork done Saturday night. The car came up to speed, but he didnt have quite as much mid corner speed as the PN drivers. Is it their equipment, tire choice and setup approach or driving style? Who knows. Jacob doesnt use much brakes as most of the PN drivers do, so the bumpiness in the track played a huge roll in the race. People that drove the track consistantly did very well, and I would think that the PN racers were well informed of the setup required before they arrived. All of the Atomic drivers struggled with setup, primarily because the track conditions were so much different than anywhere else. Every outsider said that there was so much front bite and traction rolling.

Dave won with a new unreleased double A-arm on his stock class MR03 if I remember correctly, we should see it soon. I hope that it is cheaper than the MR02 version... It does look lighter, lower CG and more centralised mass compared to the MR02 version. Possibly a few grams heavier than what you were using. Did you use PN upper arms?

Next PN race, I am running a max of 2 classes. Most of the day, I didnt have any work to do, but when it came down to crunch time (the 30 minute practice sessions between rounds), I felt that I couldnt get anything done. I think if I had at least one full day of practice, I could have made A-main in Mod GT and Pan. I didnt have time to change setups, so I had to stick with what I had and try to get it to work.

I was kind of shocked at how poor the Kyosho 20 radial performed. My setup that pushed at Action, had some oversteer/traction roll issues there. It was very frustrating trying to figure things out with such limited practice.

philly123
2010.08.02, 12:46 AM
Now you are making me want to spend more money on these parts just to compare them back to back. Bang for the buck, the Reflex is stronger, but in the long run, this setup may be the way to go for now. Dave won with a new unreleased double A-arm on his stock class MR03 if I remember correctly, we should see it soon. I hope that it is cheaper than the MR02 version... It does look lighter, lower CG and more centralised mass compared to the MR02 version. Possibly a few grams heavier than what you were using. Did you use PN upper arms?

Next PN race, I am running a max of 2 classes. Most of the day, I didnt have any work to do, but when it came down to crunch time (the 30 minute practice sessions between rounds), I felt that I couldnt get anything done. I think if I had at least one full day of practice, I could have made A-main in Mod GT and Pan. I didnt have time to change setups, so I had to stick with what I had and try to get it to work.
Yea im using one deg upper arms.
The only reason i got the PN front ends is because i said to myself that if i need to spend alittle extra money to do better this weekend then i will and i dont regret making that choice. Im still deciding on if i want to wait for the 03 version of the double a-arm or build it on an 02. Seems like 02 double a-arm for mod is the way to go as the two top drivers were both running 02s in mod.
I wish they were leaving the layout down bc i enjoy seeing my lap times slowly impove and become more consistent over time. I was never a fan of layout changes.

ActionRC
2010.08.02, 11:23 AM
This was a very fun race weekend. Special thanks to Jeff for opening up for me on Thursday. We had a great turnout on Friday, and an OK one on Saturday. I switched from the Supra to the McLaren (that I salvaged) and I have to get used to it and make some adjustments, but I am going to work on it and make it better. I'll update points for both series later today. (Marty - I owe you a clip.) I like the layout changes that we made, and we should have some great races this week.

Eugene and Phil - Glad you guys had a good time, even if you didn't take any wins. It's all about fun. It would be nice to attend the big races that take place regionally, but it is impossible to close for a week and still pay rent. Also, many ARC drivers are content to run the home track without the hassle of a 2-day event. If there are any PN parts that I could get you guys, let me know. (Phil - Weren't we hearing a lot of complaints about the other tracks not changing their layouts, and it was getting boring? Not changing the layout, even subtley, gives drivers who can race more often, especially when compared to people who travel further distances, an unfair advantage. I always liked layout changes - even before ARC. Why would I want to drive the same track again when I can have new challenges the next week? Just my opinion, but it seems to be a popular one.)

Kudos to Dominick - again.

What length of car do you prefer the most?
a) 90 - Great body selection. Can't run 94-98 rear. Very sharp handling. Fun w/ PN 90-94 rear.
b) 94 - Great body selection. Nimble but controllable.
c) 98 - Great body selection. Stable. Allows more room for rear travel.
d) 102 - Only LM and NASCAR bodies. LM cars run like bigger cars, so they're super stable. (Example: Nat!)

I am trying 98 again now, but I think I liked 94 better - for now.

Elliot Sadler was going 160mph when he hit that corner of the inside wall. Pocono has had so many violent crashes. It is amazing that no one realized how that section of the wall stuck out and posed a tremendous safety hazard. He is lucky to be alive! The motor was thrown 70 yards from the car! I also cannot believe that they do not have anything leading up to the crash on tape! I still think Pocono ruined Steve Park's career, and he was a great driver in the making. I heard this morning that they have plans since last year to install safer barriers on the inside of that track, but it has not been done yet. Yesterday's race started a little slow, but it got really good toward the middle and end. Another good finish for Tony!

Also...

We've been discussing possibly switching to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I am thinking of trying this for August. It seems to work okay for most of us. There are many aspects of my life that this would help out with, as I have discussed with most of you in person. For the record,, what do you guys think of this? You all know I always want to do what's best for the track, but sometimes I have to look out for myself, too. Your thoughts, please! (This schedule could start as of this Wednesday, by the way - not tonight.)

bermbuster
2010.08.02, 11:58 AM
Eugene and Phil - Glad you guys had a good time, even if you didn't take any wins. It's all about fun. It would be nice to attend the big races that take place regionally, but it is impossible to close for a week and still pay rent. Also, many ARC drivers are content to run the home track without the hassle of a 2-day event. If there are any PN parts that I could get you guys, let me know. (Phil - Weren't we hearing a lot of complaints about the other tracks not changing their layouts, and it was getting boring? Not changing the layout, even subtley, gives drivers who can race more often, especially when compared to people who travel further distances, an unfair advantage. I always liked layout changes - even before ARC. Why would I want to drive the same track again when I can have new challenges the next week? Just my opinion, but it seems to be a popular one.)

Hey Al,
Phil and Eugene didnt take any wins but they drove there hearts out. Phil made the a main which means he is among the best mini z racers in the country. I can understand not being able to attend because you need to do what is good for you and your business. The layout itself is posted and many tracks/clubs around the world set it up and run it. Nobody really had an unfair advantage. You could have set that layout up to give the Action drivers practice. As far as being boring....maybe but this style of race format works on enhancing the amount of laps.....76 laps in a 10 minute main(pretty impressive)
I like your style of changing it up and it works too. Looking forward to running with you guys again....
berm

ShortBus
2010.08.02, 12:25 PM
76 laps in 10 minutes - almost sounds like your running oval....

ActionRC
2010.08.02, 01:31 PM
George - I totally understand what you mean about the layout changes, and in no way was questioning or criticizing what the other tracks did. I know it was a universal layout for a special PN-hosted event, so it makes sence. On a club level, I wouldn't leave the same layout because if someone decided to come from someplace else to race with us for a night, our regular group of guys would know the layout all too well, which would be an unfair advantage. For the PN race, it makes sence, but many people told me they were bored of running that layout over the last few weeks - not just at one area track either. I was addressing Phil's response of not being a fan of layout changes, which was assumingly addresses toward ARC, and reiterating why I am a fan of layout changes, and why I do them so frequently. (Once a week - usually minor changes.) I really only leave a layout identical more than on week if it happens to be a very good layout that people really like, and I may have done that three times in six years.

Eugene and Phil always represent, and are great for the hobby because of their enthusiasm, knowledge, talent, and personalities. Racing with Phil since he was 12 and I was about 31, he was always better than me. Eugene and I used to be equal when he started, and now he is far better than me - as are so many others now!

ActionRC
2010.08.02, 04:20 PM
Points are updated for both series! Several 1 point seperations between a few drivers, which is awesome! Some drops kicked in this week also. Can't wait to race!

EMU
2010.08.02, 04:35 PM
The layout itself is posted and many tracks/clubs around the world set it up and run it. Nobody really had an unfair advantage. You could have set that layout up to give the Action drivers practice.
George, the layout wasnt an issue. I have driven it a bunch of times before at MHS. What was an issue for me, was the grip on the track, and more importantly, the uneven tiles throughout the track. If Al had setup the layout, it really would have only given an idea of what gearing and rhythm would be. But mostly I had issues trying to find something that gripped enough up front without gripping too much. MHS has very unique grip levels, especially with modified motors. My Kyosho radials had good grip on Saturday, when AC was not on, but when the AC was on Sunday, I couldnt get any power down. It also affected my F1 tire balance. On Sunday, the 40d Kyosho fronts had as much grip as the 30d Kyosho fronts did on Saturday with the same 20d rear tires.

I know that I was not alone struggling to find the right tire balance. Since I was not running a similar setup to most of the MHS/PN racers, their tire choice would not be appropriate for me. I really needed a test day just to try a lot of different things. It is what it is, and I got a bunch of things together right before the main. Going into the mains I had my LM car worked out pretty well, same with my F1. Pan car I had no clue how it would drive, and the car went from pushing alot with the first two bodies, to having a little too much steering and not being able to put the power down with the third body that had the rear cutout. I am disappointed with my performance, but not upset. I learned a good deal :)

philly123
2010.08.02, 05:01 PM
I was addressing Phil's response of not being a fan of layout changes, which was assumingly addresses toward ARC,

It wasent adressed toward anyone. I was just making a point that if a trophy race is coming up then I would like to run the layout for a decent amount of time. This way I can make improvements to my set up and get used to the layout as Eugene said. I feel that sometimes I take alittle longer than other drivers to get my cars set up the way I want them. As far as it being fair, I do agree that layout changes are the way to go and make it a level playing field for people who cant make it down to race every weekend.

bermbuster
2010.08.02, 05:39 PM
Eugene and Phil always represent, and are great for the hobby because of their enthusiasm, knowledge, talent, and personalities. Racing with Phil since he was 12 and I was about 31, he was always better than me. Eugene and I used to be equal when he started, and now he is far better than me - as are so many others now!

Whenever I see a silver Mclaren I think of Phil......He is a great racer and will be a World champ one day.
Eugene needs a dose of PN to get him back on track.....:cool:

EMU
2010.08.02, 05:39 PM
I think that I am pretty quick at making setup changes and adjustments to get the cars to drive the way that I want. I think in total, there was about 5 hours of practice in two days, with 40+ people... and you had to wait in line for track time, since there were only 8 people allowed on the track for 3 minutes at a time. Which is standard for controlled practice. I prefer longer runs, where I can jump on and off, and make minute adjustments to see how the car reacts to the change and see if I am going in the right direction. Instead of small adjustments to search for speed, I had to make larger more drastic adjustments to stabilise the cars, which sacrificed speed.

For trophy races, especially where people are traveling from great distances, a new track layout put down just for the race is the best route. This evens the playing field as much as it can. The general setup should be close, since the track grip wont change too much by changing the layout, but making the locals will have to adjust for the small things to gain a tenth here or there. I design different cars for different purposes for that reason. So instead of doing setup changes, I have a good base for that type of layout. Tight tracks I like smaller cars, large high speed tracks I like larger cars...

George, I had a good dose of PN this past weekend, and am looking forward to another dose in South Carolina... :)

bermbuster
2010.08.02, 06:02 PM
George, I had a good dose of PN this past weekend, and am looking forward to another dose in South Carolina... :)
I meant an injection of PN parts on your cars......:D

When you set up your cars for you is it easier to take a loose car and make it tight or a tight car and loosen it up???

EMU
2010.08.02, 07:41 PM
I usually start with a stiff setup, and soften it up if I need to. I usually use a harder front tire as well to start, and go softer if I need more steering. I find it is easier to add steering than add rear grip.

egonzalez
2010.08.02, 10:17 PM
George, the layout wasnt an issue. I have driven it a bunch of times before at MHS. What was an issue for me, was the grip on the track, and more importantly, the uneven tiles throughout the track. If Al had setup the layout, it really would have only given an idea of what gearing and rhythm would be. But mostly I had issues trying to find something that gripped enough up front without gripping too much. MHS has very unique grip levels, especially with modified motors. My Kyosho radials had good grip on Saturday, when AC was not on, but when the AC was on Sunday, I couldnt get any power down. It also affected my F1 tire balance. On Sunday, the 40d Kyosho fronts had as much grip as the 30d Kyosho fronts did on Saturday with the same 20d rear tires.

I know that I was not alone struggling to find the right tire balance. Since I was not running a similar setup to most of the MHS/PN racers, their tire choice would not be appropriate for me. I really needed a test day just to try a lot of different things. It is what it is, and I got a bunch of things together right before the main. Going into the mains I had my LM car worked out pretty well, same with my F1. Pan car I had no clue how it would drive, and the car went from pushing alot with the first two bodies, to having a little too much steering and not being able to put the power down with the third body that had the rear cutout. I am disappointed with my performance, but not upset. I learned a good deal :)

We all faced the same issue.... Even the local racers like me had a hard time adjusting to the changing track conditions.... We never race that early in the day and the track grip characteristics was different every qualifier.. I traction rolled three times in the stock A main.. Front bite had picked up again. I also should have not changed to new front tires for the main. :(

EMU
2010.08.02, 11:48 PM
Im not saying that you guys had it easy, but that it was very difficult conditions. Almost every time a race finished, I was asking how the conditions were compared to the last time they ran... so I could get an idea of what the track was doing. It was almost a living thing :eek: At the night practice on Saturday, all of my cars were great. Daytime, a completely different story. At least you guys had more experience with the track, which helped with knowing the better tire combination for your setup than those with much more limited experience. That is what the home track advantage is...

ActionRC
2010.08.03, 12:45 PM
It is amazing how temperature can effect RCP. I am glad to hear it's not just at Action RC!

While I love hearing about everyone did at the big race, I threw a topic out there that I really need your input on, guys. It's kind of important. The people on this forum are a big part of the inner core of regular ARC drivers, so I really value your opinions. As I wrote, "Also... We've been discussing possibly switching to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I am thinking of trying this for August. It seems to work okay for most of us. There are many aspects of my life that this would help out with, as I have discussed with most of you in person. For the record,, what do you guys think of this? You all know I always want to do what's best for the track, but sometimes I have to look out for myself, too. Your thoughts, please! (This schedule could start as of this Wednesday, by the way - not tonight.)"

PROS:
1) Still race every other day, leaving people in-between days to take care of personal things.
2) Still have an open practice night and two seperate points series.
3) Weekend commitments don't get in the way of racing as much on a Friday.
4) Speaking with many of you, family guys and single guys seem to have no major Friday issues. Family guys often have issues getting to the track on a regular basis on Saturdays.

CONS:
1) I am so used to being at the track on Saturdays that it would be weird not to be there. (I'll get over it.)
2) Pre-race set-up time is reduced. (I'll see if there would be any way to open before 7 on Fridays.)
3) Less time for three classes. Two is no problem. (We may be able to do special Saturday or Sunday races for special events with special classes every now and then. Maybe the first Saturday of each month we'll do an F1 day, or a NASCAR day, or Monster/Overland, etc.) For this series, we can maybe run F1 qualifying and mains after Wide and Narrow have been completed.

I am very interested to know what you guys think. The sign guy is ready to pull the trigger, and I have a lot of changes to make to the website, etc., if this happens. For my own personal sake, it works out well to run M, W, F, but I need to look out for you guys as well. If there are thoughts you have that you don't want to put on the forum, please shoot me an email.

CDR racing
2010.08.03, 01:04 PM
It is amazing how temperature can effect RCP. I am glad to hear it's not just at Action RC!

While I love hearing about everyone did at the big race, I threw a topic out there that I really need your input on, guys. It's kind of important. The people on this forum are a big part of the inner core of regular ARC drivers, so I really value your opinions. As I wrote, "Also... We've been discussing possibly switching to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I am thinking of trying this for August. It seems to work okay for most of us. There are many aspects of my life that this would help out with, as I have discussed with most of you in person. For the record,, what do you guys think of this? You all know I always want to do what's best for the track, but sometimes I have to look out for myself, too. Your thoughts, please! (This schedule could start as of this Wednesday, by the way - not tonight.)"

PROS:
1) Still race every other day, leaving people in-between days to take care of personal things.
2) Still have an open practice night and two seperate points series.
3) Weekend commitments don't get in the way of racing as much on a Friday.
4) Speaking with many of you, family guys and single guys seem to have no major Friday issues. Family guys often have issues getting to the track on a regular basis on Saturdays.

CONS:
1) I am so used to being at the track on Saturdays that it would be weird not to be there. (I'll get over it.)
2) Pre-race set-up time is reduced. (I'll see if there would be any way to open before 7 on Fridays.)
3) Less time for three classes. Two is no problem. (We may be able to do special Saturday or Sunday races for special events with special classes every now and then. Maybe the first Saturday of each month we'll do an F1 day, or a NASCAR day, or Monster/Overland, etc.) For this series, we can maybe run F1 qualifying and mains after Wide and Narrow have been completed.

I am very interested to know what you guys think. The sign guy is ready to pull the trigger, and I have a lot of changes to make to the website, etc., if this happens. For my own personal sake, it works out well to run M, W, F, but I need to look out for you guys as well. If there are thoughts you have that you don't want to put on the forum, please shoot me an email.

I'm sure everyone knows this already, but I'm very much against switching the schedule. I think you take away too much of what Saturday is and has been by trying to condense it in to an 8-12 time frame. Saturday Night racing is just the way things have been for 6 years, and I don't think changing it is a good thing. It's always been that Tuesday and Thursday, were your practice days, and Saturday is the big show(Like sundays in football or NASCAR). I think moving it to Friday will make it too much like the other nights and take away from experience that Saturday gives. Obviously, I'm going to be there either way, but I'd much rather be there on Saturdays.

sjm324
2010.08.03, 01:28 PM
IMO, you should try the schedule change for a month or two and see how it works...you can always switch it back
Adam

TomSr
2010.08.03, 01:58 PM
"Also... We've been discussing possibly switching to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. I am thinking of trying this for August. It seems to work okay for most of us. There are many aspects of my life that this would help out with, as I have discussed with most of you in person. For the record,, what do you guys think of this? You all know I always want to do what's best for the track, but sometimes I have to look out for myself, too. Your thoughts, please!

While I kind of like the idea of Saturday's being more freed up, I am sure switching to Friday will reduce my ability to be there as often as I am now. Just the honest truth. I'm not a fan of the idea. Besides that, my fear is that trying to squeeze it all in on a Friday night opening at 7PM is going to make it an unbearably late night. As it is Saturday's get way too late for my liking and that's starting at 6. I'm not interested in midnight Friday's and still be out at the track. Just too long of a day.

I'm not a big "tuner" of my cars (as my lousy results show) but I do think that it's critical to many to have track time to work out kinks and issues with their cars. Seems to me squishing it all in on a Friday night from 7 on is not a great step.

But the long and short of it is that we need Al to keep ARCMS going - and if this is really important to his life style needs - then our options are limited. As Adam pointed out, can try it and change it if it's not working out well.

Slapstick10
2010.08.03, 09:27 PM
IMO, you should try the schedule change for a month or two and see how it works...you can always switch it back
Adam

I agree with Adam try it out ....lets see what happpens!:D

Ps: al you got a pm!

GREGDGR81
2010.08.03, 10:34 PM
I'm all for the switch. Some people like to relax on the weekends.

KA2AEV
2010.08.03, 10:51 PM
Potter My Condolences on your Loss :)

monkey19
2010.08.04, 05:36 AM
As a racer that drops in every few years for a few weeks or so… my opinion means nothing, but here it is.

Thursdays were great for me because historically Thursdays are a night that I go out, entertain clients, vendors stuff like that. So I usually get a free pass from the wife. However I am almost never able to make Saturday racing (to me by far the best night) due to important family obligations like my 3rd cousins sister in laws sons 5th birthday party.(being obnoxious but not that far off the mark)

Fridays as a the primary race/points night do work for me, but is there any way we can kick racing off prior to 7pm?

As stated by Adam and Scott let’s give it a try and see what happens…

I appreciated Al trying everything he can to keep Action RC going and keeping it FUN:D

ActionRC
2010.08.04, 01:22 PM
Dear Action RC Racers and Friends,

As some of you are already aware through discussions in person and on the forum, I have been considering changing the racing and practice schedule. Over the last six years, we have had points racing on Saturday nights. This has always worked out great for some, and not so great for others. Like they say, you can never make everyone happy. (I have learned that lesson more than once over the last six years!)

Action RC has been a huge part of my life since April of 2004. I haven't changed much over the years, from prices to points to schedule, because the formula works, and has lead to competitive, challenging, and fun nights of racing week after week. However, the trade-off to these great times has been tremendous sacrifice by my family by not having me around for half of every weekend. Projects around the house do not get finished - if started at all. Family functions get missed - often. We don't take little weekend getaways, and day-trips are crammed into shorter time periods than they often require. Anything I try to do on a Saturday stops at 2:00, with the hope of finishing it up on Sunday. My life gets crammed into very short vacancies of time, and it's difficult to manage a family of three small children and a spouse that have been more than patient and understanding when it comes to giving Action RC the time and effort that it requires of me.

My love for Action RC Mini Speedway, the program it has, and the enthusiasm of it's racers is what keeps Action RC going, but it needs a little tweak to make it fit a little better into a hectic life. Starting this Monday, August 9th, we will implement the following schedule change:

Monday, 7pm - 10pm: Practice and "Third Class" racing
Wednesday, 7pm - 10pm: Open Practice
Friday, 6pm - 11:30pm: Points Racing

This week (8/5 and 8/7) will continue as Thursday Points and Saturday Points.

On Mondays, we will run the third points class that would normally have been run on Saturdays, which at this time is Formula 1. This will allow plenty of time for open practice as well. This class, as it always has, will change from series to series, but it will change (from what I foresee) every month instead of every eight weeks, and we will count 3 out of 4 of your best weeks. (We'll drop the worst or you can miss a fourth week.) We can run F1, drift cars, monsters, NASCAR, rally, spec body - whatever we want to!

On Wednesdays, we will have open practice, like we do on Tuesdays now. The lap counter will be running and calling out your laps. This will be the best night for new drivers to try Mini-Z racing, and will also be a great night for anyone to get ready for Friday night racing. The lack of a formal race night allows drivers to go on and off the track as often as they want to, and allows plenty of time to work on their cars.

Friday will take over for Saturday as the big points racing night. We will run two classes instead of three. I have calculated time frames in many circumstances over the last few days, and here's the way it should work. The track will open at 6pm for entry and practice. We will start racing at 8pm, and will run until about 11:30. In the Narrow class, if we have three groups we will run two rounds of qualifying. If we have two groups, we will try to run three rounds of qualifying. On paper, and from years of experience, this should work out pretty accurately.

I know that there are a few people that this new schedule will not work out for, and I apologize for not being able to accommodate everyone's schedule as much as I would like to. However, the reality is that the overwhelming majority of existing ARC drivers have been either neutral to the change, and in most cases, actually preferred the Friday night race night over Saturday! Demographics definitely played a part in the majority choice, as married guys with kids (and there are many of them) seem to prefer the Friday night. The Friday night races that we had over the last few weeks had very large turnouts (larger than the following Saturday), and seemed to fit really well into most of the "regular's" schedules.

I hope you all understand why I made this change, and hope you see the long-term benefits of making this change. For my own personal life, which has taken a back-seat more often than not to the track, this change was necessary. Action RC has always been a living, breathing creature, and it has always changed and evolved as we saw fit. It will continue to do so - hopefully for years to come - and your continued support is necessary, and above all, appreciated. As we quickly approach another major milestone - one year at the new location - use this schedule change as a way to refresh your racing, use each night as an opportunity to focus on a different challenge, and above all, have fun. No one will need more adjustment to this new schedule than I will, but in the long run, this is what's best for the longevity the track.

I hope to see you all soon!

Al

Slapstick10
2010.08.06, 07:01 AM
I'm going through miniz z withdrawls

Hurry someone send a track to LBI!!!!!:p

ActionRC
2010.08.06, 01:39 PM
Scott - Tell everyone what you've been up to on your trip! :D

Great racing last night! The Weekday Point Series is heating up, and it was great to see Sai shake things up and steal the perfect 100 streak from Rob - the Jimmie Johnson of Thursday nights! We had a great turnout, and the racing was fun. Many drivers were trying new setups and experimenting. It worked for some, and not for others. Even Justin and I, when not playing around with the stupid printer:mad:, tinkered with some setups. It was a fun night! Check out the points on the website, and checkout the battle for Div 2 right now!

Thank you to all of you who sent me messages about the schedule change. I am so happy to hear that it works out well for so many of you, and in some cases, is potentially going to bring some some new people in and not-so-regular people back as well. It'll take some adjustment, but I see many positives coming from this as well. Time will tell.

Jeff and I are working on the updates to the site now. I have decided to tweak the schedule I posted the other day a bit to make it a more even flow from this to next week. (Basically I swapped the Monday and Wednesday program to keep it more in-line with Tuesday and Thursday, and to be able to keep the weekday point series going - plus 3rd Class!) This is some of the text going up:

MONDAY (7:00pm - 10:00pm)
Monday nights are open-practice nights (7pm-10pm) and are excellent for the new guys and experienced drivers to ge a feel for the track (which changes weekly) and improve their driving skills and lap times. We've got lots of "Newbies" lately, so this is a great time to get involved in Mini-Z racing at Action RC! Monday practice is $5 for the whole night!

WEDNESDAY (7:00pm - 10:00pm)
Wednesday nights are great nights to come mid-week racing! Our Wednesday night point series consists of two classes: Wide-Body Stock and our ever-changing "Third Class." (See the RULES tab for class descriptions, and the POINTS tab for current points standings.) Third Class alternates different series, like Formula 1, Rally, Spec-Body, etc. Trophies are awarded by division every 8 weeks, so everyone has a shot! (New drivers aren't racing against experienced pros for a trophy.) Wednesday nights are $12.

FRIDAY (6:00pm - 11:00pm)
Friday night is the BIG RACE NIGHT! Open practice is from 6:00 - 8:00, and racing starts promptly at 8:00. Friday night classes are Wide-Body Stock and Narrow-Body Spec. We run an 8 week points series, and again, Championships are awarded by division, so new drivers always have a chance at a trophy. If you will be arriving late, please call-in you registration by 7:30. Friday nights are $20. Practice from 6:00 - 8:00 is $5 if you are not racing, and free if you are racing.

I hope this helps people know what's going on, not there there has been any confusion about it, but I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page. Thanks again to all of you for your flexibilty and support!

SaiTam
2010.08.06, 02:20 PM
I finally beat Rob_B for once. Turnout was great couldn't believe we finished at 11pm with almost 20 racers 3 groups and 3 qualifying rounds. My PNWC car was the bomb after I fixed the tweak due to the marshal mishap last Sunday. Great layout that requires very good Left-Right balance from the car also.

EMU
2010.08.06, 05:15 PM
I dont know how this schedule change will effect my racing yet. So far, it doesnt look too good... Especially since there are only 2 classes on Fridays (the only day I would be able to make it out of the three). Saturday has always been my primary race day based on my work schedule (which was designed to work around my race schedule). I made a few Fridays due to my summer schedule, but after camp ends, everything changes back.

One of the biggest selling points to racing at Action for me, was the third class included with the two standard classes. It gave us a chance to try a new setup at the beginning of the points series together... and work on developing it through the points series. You get to see who has the better car early, and who has the better car later in the series. I will try to make it as much as I can, but I have no clue yet if things will work out as my work schedule for the fall has been modeled around the old schedule, and I cant really change it much. I just have to play it by ear, and figure things out as they come. See you guys soon.

danny250r
2010.08.06, 06:36 PM
I'm going through miniz z withdrawls

Hurry someone send a track to LBI!!!!!:p

there is a hobbyshop on lbi its right near the bar joe pops its called haymarket :D

Scrapper
2010.08.06, 07:31 PM
stu might be making appearance tomorrow

Slapstick10
2010.08.06, 07:52 PM
there is a hobbyshop on lbi its right near the bar joe pops its called haymarket :D

Yea ....I know! But very limited selection of parts and RC supplies( only traxxas ).

Interesting points being brought up about that PN race!

Is it more competitive to have a major race on a track that no one has driven before or do you race for a few months on the same track before the race?
Does it give local an upper hand?
Sounds to me like a new poll question just was asked!!!!!

hpotter
2010.08.06, 08:32 PM

Is it more competitive to have a major race on a track that no one has driven before or do you race for a few months on the same track before the race?

Racing for a few of years I can give my opinion, so I will:
1. Absolutely 100% the layout should be brand new with no one seeing it until race day.
2. Hand out motors
3. No prototype or "coming soon to a hobby shop near you" parts. You can have all the hop-ups you want but only if they are available to all other racers.
4. All classes (A to Z) get the same amount of track time for practice and same time for mains.

Just a few of my opinions on keeping things fair :).

danny250r
2010.08.06, 08:44 PM
Yea ....I know! But very limited selection of parts and RC supplies( only traxxas ).

yeah that place use to be alot better , i hope you been going to chicken or the egg , have a good time i was down there last week see ya soon :D

Scrapper
2010.08.06, 09:09 PM
my 2 cents on this is that say there is a part that some have access too and others dont it is just for testing and soon will be better but needs to be competed with

EMU
2010.08.06, 09:18 PM
I prefer a new layout for everyone. Having a new layout, gives everyone at the event the same amount of time on the layout to work out the setup and line on the track.

Handout for stock, unlimited 130 can motor for modified.

Prototype and home made parts permitted. I have many parts that are not prototype per se, but nobody else has them, and will not be able to get them... so, essentially they are the same as prototype parts. Should we outlaw discontinued products as well? I know I will be using proto parts at the worlds... and maybe the Carolina Cup. Especially because I modify a lot of the stock parts, they essentially become prototypes... If there is a sportsman class, no expert (sponsored) drivers, should be restricted to off the shelf parts with no major modifications.

Controlled practice. 8 racers max on the track at a time, 3 min each round.

Qualify 5 min, mains 10 min. Bump ups for mains. Random sort on race day for qualify, staggered start for qualify, reshuffle after 2nd round. 7 racers sorted to mains + 1 bump up spot.

No traction compounds.

4x AAA cells

no electronics limitations

Any chassis, not restricted to Kyosho chassis. None of the aftermarket chassis have proven to be significantly better than Kyosho, and require a lot more work to get tuned. As long as the car meets weigh in for its class...

hpotter
2010.08.06, 09:56 PM
Discontinued parts are fine, point is they were available to everyone at one time, if you still have them its absolutely fine to use them. I don't consider modifying a stock part a prototype because anyone can buy the part and do the same if they wish (again part is available). If there is a seperate class for sponsored drivers then fine they can run with whatever parts they want but where my concern lies is when there is a race with sponsored and non sponsored drivers. I know of many racers who are not sponsored who are just as good as sponsored drivers and in that scenario it is not fair that someone else is running a part that is not available to the other racers, at that level of racing sometimes a part can make the difference, and again to me its about fairness. I know I would want to win on skill and ability and lose to skill and ability.

EMU
2010.08.06, 10:45 PM
Without prototype parts used in big competitions, the industry would move even slower than it currently does. Most of the manufacturers use the large events to prove their parts and see where they stand. There are usually slight differences between the prototype and production parts, sometimes better sometimes not. Anything handmade/customised is a prototype part.

Lets say a company is working on a part, and wants to test it in such race that does not permit prototype parts. It could produce a very limited run of lets say 20 units, list them on their website, and sell a handful to team drivers through the website as soon as they are available. They were released, but now out of stock for other other people to purchase... and technically, would be permitted to be used in the race, since they are not 'prototypes', but a possibly discontinued product. They could also price the low production run part out of the market, so nobody would buy it, and they could test at such races without using a prototype part.

Until there is a true governing body for Mini-Z or 1/28 scale racing, each race or series will have a seperate set of rules to follow. Currently manufacturer cups take the spot of National and International level races, where the manufacturer is the one to set the rules. I cant think of any manufacturer that would want to restrict their own prototype parts out of competition.

In general, restricting to production parts will make racing more fair, but who is going to say what is production and what is prototype, and what the minimum production quantity and availability is to be considered retail.

It would require much stricter rules, and harsh technical inspections by someone who is well versed in all available parts. Keeping the parts open to any hop up, retail or prototype reduces the amount of time the cars spend in tech, and makes it easier for the host and racers.

hpotter
2010.08.06, 11:39 PM
Maybe my definitions are a little different but:
Prototype- An original, full-scale, and usually working model of a new product
Modify-To change in form or character; alter

Modify anything you want because the bottom line is the part is available to anyone who wants to do so. I understand the need for real world testing and wanting to showcase your products but if you want to do that there should be a seperate class to do that. Now lets say there's a big race-all are present, PN, Atomic, Reflex, with their respective team drivers, I personally would rather all of the team drivers have their cars decked out with current, readily available products and see how they perform. If the parts perfom well I would be more inclined to think that that company produces quality products, if I see something continually breaking and having issues well then maybe not so much. I know this is another subject we could go on and on about but for me if there is a "big race" and there is no seperate class or venue to showcase new products it doesn't seem fair that one person or a select few have something that is not available to everyone else, let your existing products do the talking for you. Now on the flipside, if I'm at a race and someone wins with prototype parts, in my mind that taints the win, and even though I'm not a pro level driver, if I get beat by someone using prototype parts on their car irregardless of how much better than me they are I'm going to scream FOUL from the top of the mountain and as everyone knows I wiill be heard :D.

As far as rules becoming more difficult--very simple NO PROTOTYPE PARTS ALLOWED

Slapstick10
2010.08.07, 07:22 AM
Now this is interesting. A sponsored driver always gets new parts before they hit the market.......ok let me start again.
In my 1/10 adventures Rob B and I have expierienced this situation with certain Team drivers. No matter what we did in a specific spec class we couldn't get our cars as fast. Its really not competetive if this prototype part is the difference between winning and loosing. example...ESC , MOTOR

Sponsorships: I think it is fine to favor or represent certain manufacturers, however to be sponsored by a specific track that is not your regular track is in bad taste .For a percentage off on parts.......very questionable!

Oh and danny ty for the thought on Haymarket....it is a nice hobby shop its just all over the place with products.... a lttle bit of this and a little bit of that!

Al always gives everyone the same practace time as a guy flying in from another state. In the past he would change the layout after Thursday racing and open early the day of the race to level the playing field. No one has an unfair advantage.

Now enough with this its to early...and I have an appointment to look at a 32' maxum boat! If Al had a dock .....that would be cool. Austin and I could drive the boat to go race at Als...........:D

bermbuster
2010.08.07, 08:20 AM
the prototype parts are only used in the mod or open classes.
In racing whatever wins on Sunday.....sells on Monday......
The PN race does a few things. It brings the fastest racers to a venue close to home. You get to witness these prototype parts If you ask they will let you test drive a car with the part or parts.....You get to challenge your skills against guys who are the Factory team.....You make the A or even B main at a PN race your good.....The PN guys are very approachable and will help you with your set up. I even seen racers discussing with the owner of PN possible improvements and new parts......
The core group of racers at Action are content with racing each other and having awesome battles. Some racers want or need more.......
Action holds some championship races and they are fast fun and challenging.
Myself Im not fast but I enjoy watching the racing and tinkering in the pits.
To witness racers laying down sub 8 second laps for 10 minutes is freaking awesome....to witness a few of your friends winning and doing well at an event like this is priceless......

JuniorWKR
2010.08.07, 08:28 AM
i think you guys may be missing the idea behind pn races... the idea is that the same layout is ran all over the world with spec classes and rules... when you attend a pn race your name goes on the website with your main result and it puts you in order with your time... this allows you to gauge where you stack up against racers from all over the globe.... the layout is posted on the pn website at the beginning of every season.... every shop has the oppurtunity to put the layout down and practice... granted your track may have little differnt conditions then the next but at least your timing and muscle memory of the track would be set.... then all you would have to do is setup your car for the track conditions of where the race is being held... any track can setup the layout and get there drivers ready for the race...

imo... i think it is an awesome idea... i have been racing pn events for a couple of years now and i love to see where i stack up agianst the big names from around the globe... it gives you an oppurtunity to race with everyone who attends without actually racing against them in person...

now the second part of your discussion is a hard one to argue... the team drivers always get the latest greatest stuff first... sometimes it gripes me but i am a business owner myself and i understand... if pn can make new products throughout the season and those products put his driver on the podium at the worlds... by releasing those products after the worlds he 1 gave his driver sthe best oppurtunity to win and 2 after winning with them everyone and there mother are gonna buy it... its ok with me i understand its just part of the hobby and i wil always try my best to the best i can with whats out there... but on the other hand the top drivers at the regional in 2wd mod where still running th 02 aarm setup... so go figure...

track layout changes are key to helping us become the best drivers we can be... it teaches us to push the limits of our setups and become adaptive drivers... this will help with traveling to races as you would be confident in your setup abilities... so enjoy your LHS shop for what they provide for us and go out and race pn and see where you are against all the minz racers
who attend
but dont hate the theory behind pn races... i support the idea 100%... i think its an awesome gauge for miniz drivers out there wanting to see where they stack up...

ActionRC
2010.08.07, 09:48 AM
I agree with Junior. The concept of the PN race where the entire world has access to a layout is cool, and will work for some clubs and not others. As an owner, not having to do layout changes every week would be MUCH easier on me. As a racer, I'd be bored after 2 weeks of the same layout, but there was a reason why the same layout was down for so long - to get ready for the big race. It makes total sence when your race is part of a world series of races.

As far as prototypes, I think it's the same-old, same-old. The better driver will win regardles of what slightly different parts are in his car. A car that's too fast cannot be handled by an intermediate driver. For the most part, I think currently available parts can create a car that the best driver can compete against a protoype car and possibly win. Phil, Dave G, Rob B, Eugene, Sai, etc. with an off-the-shelf-upgraded MR02 will be beat most with a prototype MR03. They're great drivers. I do agree that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have manufacturer sponsored "pro" drivers running for one trophy, and unsponsored drivers running for another - even if they're in the same race. It eliminates any "tainting" of the trophy win. NASCAR has the same issue right now when it comes to Cup drivers running in the Nationwide series. The cup guys almost always win, but the best Nationwide driver gets a lot of notoriety if he can keep up with a Cup guy.

Everyone makes good and legit points, and these types of discussions are what makes the hobby continue to improve, and helps track owners cater to the people who race at their tracks. For myself at Action, I definitely have a "march-to-our-own-beat-of-the-drum" mentality, and prefer to set my own rules and procedures because I know my customer base very well, and I know that in general (save for a handful of people) we have more of a local club racer mentality than a pro-racer mentality. (You can tell by my driving and cars!) Nothing wrong with either way, as long as you have a large group of regular drivers who are having fun racing every week, because that is what keeps the tracks open. Pro drivers aren't very good without a track to drive on! :p

See everyone tonight!

sjm324
2010.08.07, 10:09 AM
In the past i have attended big races where layouts were put down the day of the event and events which layouts have been down for a while...IMO fast guys are going to be fast either way....practice practice practice is what it takes to be good...the driver who puts the time in is going to be good...some drivers can adapt real quick and some cant...as far as prototype parts IMO i feel it wont make you a faster driver...staying off the boards and staying on line makes you faster...i have not seen one part out there help me not hit a board...

adam

bermbuster
2010.08.07, 10:38 AM
prototype parts IMO i feel it wont make you a faster driver...staying off the boards and staying on line makes you faster...i have not seen one part out there help me not hit a board...
adam

when somebody makes that part I will take 2.......:cool:

We are very lucky to live in an area where mini z is thriving and dont forget it.
Race as much as you can and support your local tracks.....