PDA

View Full Version : Big PA DC NY OH GTG ! Nov. 5th & 6th !!!

imxlr8ed
2005.09.12, 02:16 PM
It's a go !!! We will have a huge gymnasium for this event, huge roadcourse, and a wicked Overland course ! I'm determined to make this the best damn GTG ever !
We will be running Nov 5th & 6th at the 3rd & Spruce Recreation Center in Reading, PA 19602.

Mapquest link:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&location=tD4Mzbf8m0%2fwg8buxvtXqYRujSQAI0K%2fcT4Ns 6Sk8iVg2IE7GzLpsbht9fmf4IOkca%2fcw3WYqFLigujcGcLMp bVu2llsbqWIXtKPpsABkvIeZ4bYHtVmWfo5HF%2bR8muiVPxxl 3EUxcQ%3d

Signup thread at :

http://dorksonwheels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216

Also... frequencies are a first come, first served basis !!! If you desire a particular frequency, better confirm it on our site, or email me at:

fastbowtie@hotmail.com

If you look at the signup * designates a confirmed frequency, if it doesn't have a *, it's up for grabs !!! Now I'm sure there will be extra Outlaw freqs. available at the race... so don't let frequency availability stop you from signing up... we'll get you setup !

To research history of this topic in the DCGTG thread:

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18933

No charge to race ! (donations are always nice though ! :D ) You will need a Core transponder to be counted though, we should have some extras available.
Times will be Noon to 6pm Saturday and Sunday ! We will have a Core lapcounter for this event also !!! Race schedule for the weekend to follow soon !

Lionblade
2005.09.12, 05:47 PM
Looks to be a lot of fun. :)

120 miles each way from my house...if I can carpool with a few other people I might be able to go on the 5th, not saying for sure yet. Though I definitely wanna go. :D

The only SI guys that know about this besides myself are michvin and EMU...if you want, you could give Al a call and he could probably get 20 of us to go. :rolleyes:

I know I personally can't go on the 6th, with school and all the next day.

arch2b
2005.09.12, 07:47 PM
nice having your own subforum huh :p

you know dc will represent :)

i'll try to keep the chat to this thread and direct chat to this thread from mine in the dc section

arch2b
2005.09.12, 08:20 PM
12 noon to 6pm huh... we could easily go over that. it was a very long day the last time. are there any contingencies for pre and post gym hang out time?

imxlr8ed
2005.09.13, 01:16 PM
12 noon to 6pm huh... we could easily go over that. it was a very long day the last time. are there any contingencies for pre and post gym hang out time?

Don't worry... I'm sure we'll have hangtime one way or the other. I will be setting up Saturday morning, Myself, and some assorted dorks will be there at 10:30am. I'm not gonna kick you out if you show a little earlier... we'll play it by ear. But we will definitely have to be outta there at 6pm on Sunday ! It should go quickly, most everyone should still have their transponders ! Scan & go !!! :D

EMU
2005.09.13, 01:40 PM
If I cannot get a ride, would there be any possibility of going by train? I will have to ask Magic if he is going to go (he doesnt visit the forums). I have no car and no lisence (dont need one in NYC :rolleyes: I either walk, ride my bike or take the train everywhere) although I would love to attend ;)

imxlr8ed
2005.09.13, 03:18 PM
If I cannot get a ride, would there be any possibility of going by train? I will have to ask Magic if he is going to go (he doesnt visit the forums). I have no car and no lisence (dont need one in NYC :rolleyes: I either walk, ride my bike or take the train everywhere) although I would love to attend ;)

No passenger service to Reading that I know of... There's always the bus, the bus terminal is about 6 blocks away. Remember, this will be a 2 day event, majority of qualifying will occur on Saturday, Mains on Sunday. A hotel room would be a good idea ! Sorry, no sleeping on the RCP's !!! Maybe check with ruknd@aol... I think he offered to cart peeps.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.09.13, 06:47 PM
emu...i may have room for you if you want a ride

arch2b
2005.09.13, 08:54 PM
i have no problem leaving at 6pm, it would be nice however to hang out earlier to get to run other class races and chat more with the dorks crew as i only got the courtesy chat time last gtg

Lionblade
2005.09.13, 10:59 PM
Oh hell, the agonies and limitations of being a teenager. :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out at home. The 'rents aren't gonna let me stay overnight 100 miles away because I'm still a minor. :(

Ah well. Maybe if the Z scene is alive in 2 years, I'll be able to go then. Maybe then we'll have an MR-03? :D

arch2b
2005.09.14, 06:12 AM
you could still make it for the day..... maybe imx can leave some spots open on sunday for single day people or you could just coem out to race saturday adn hang out..... if not, sorry to hear you can not make it.

gasman1
2005.09.14, 07:15 AM
i have no problem leaving at 6pm, it would be nice however to hang out earlier to get to run other class races and chat more with the dorks crew as i only got the courtesy chat time last gtg

You can always come over to my house after the races and we can run on my track.

imxlr8ed
2005.09.14, 12:03 PM
I'm sure we'll be hanging out later than what is listed... I just want to follow the regulations for the city buildings, but I'm sure it'll be played by ear Sat. night.
Gasman's got a great track at his house too !!! Only about a 1 1/2 mile away !
If we still feel the need, we can get a few races in there. (I'll let gasman set that up... thanks dude !) But, like I said before, it should be easy to get everyone setup and running. (big part as to why I'm setting up frequencies ahead of time !!!)

arch2b
2005.09.23, 01:42 PM
The overland course should be somewhere between a road course, and a crawler course... hope that narrows it down !!!

We'll test when more of the terrain is built, and we will let you know approximate required ground clearances. If I get my way... you'll have to know the CG of your vehicle too, that's usually a main part of flight requirements !

Mucho props to Ruf !!! F1 is finally reborn for us !
Thanks to Enzok for doing the research as well !

I should have a rendering of the GTG's road course as soon as I get an inventory of RCP.

Oh yeah... forgot to update, the GTG Nov. 5th & 6th event is now on the event thread.
i would go with less crawl to keep the speeds up, for overlands atleast. at the k regionals, tom thumbs had 2x4's under the track at very difficult points such as turns and switch backs, etc. it proved very techincal for racing but could have used something like a very small ramp or jump. i keep my racing overland fairly low to the ground as well. i have my offroad alloy overland for the rough stuff. it's way to heavy to race though.

i have atleast 20 2"diameter x 24" cardbaord tubes for drawings that i use under my track. if your interested, i can bring those. they are trashed at my office so i take some home from time to time.

gasman1
2005.09.23, 02:19 PM
i would go with less crawl to keep the speeds up, for overlands atleast. at the k regionals, tom thumbs had 2x4's under the track at very difficult points such as turns and switch backs, etc. it proved very techincal for racing but could have used something like a very small ramp or jump. i keep my racing overland fairly low to the ground as well. i have my offroad alloy overland for the rough stuff. it's way to heavy to race though.

i have atleast 20 2"diameter x 24" cardbaord tubes for drawings that i use under my track. if your interested, i can bring those. they are trashed at my office so i take some home from time to time.

I can't speak for IMX but I i could use some of them for my track if you don't mind bringing them.

imxlr8ed
2005.09.23, 04:10 PM
If it seems too comical... we'll take terrain out, but I wanted an actual Overland experience... kinda like a Range Rover test track, but with some fast sections, and some "do or die" sections. I'm looking at the Overlands as a pure fun, but very challenging, laugh yer butt off while racing thing !!! Something that you can drive around super-consistently with traffic (not having to stop, but surely having to slow down.), but still have that wild stunt factor.

Swinging bridges ?
Pit jumps ?
Stump jumping ?
Slope driving ?
Kinda like Goony Golf only your Overland is the ball ?

arch2b
2005.09.23, 04:22 PM
i like the idea of having both fast and slow sections. the key to overlands for me has always been for having fun so whatever you can come up with i'll try. i may have to buy a set of stock shocks though.... mine have long since disappeared

ruknd@aol.com
2005.09.24, 11:46 AM
an OL race would be fun

imxlr8ed
2005.09.29, 10:24 AM
Time's a tickin people !!! 37 days until the Ultimate MiniZ GTG !!! Get signed up ! We have somewhere around 30 drivers who are going to show so far, and we have ton's of room for more ! Gasman is building some really cool Overland terrain and we have around 8 F1 racers in the line up already. Road course is looking to be around 6 Wide Ls, and the Overland course is well... who knows !

arch2b
2005.10.15, 10:59 PM
imx, we might be bringing up some more talent with us ;) you guys had better practice ;)

gasman1
2005.10.16, 09:06 AM
imx, we might be bringing up some more talent with us ;) you guys had better practice ;)

all the time, Arch, all the time..... :)
can't wait, it should be a blast!

imxlr8ed
2005.10.17, 01:04 PM
PM me on our site... I'll get them signed up. If secret identities are required... I can set that up.

Reminder to the rest of you out there ! GET SIGNED UP ! Please don't just show up... we are trying to get these freqs. together BEFORE the event. Anymore NYers yet ?... anyone from anywhere else yet ? Hellooooooo ? If you can only make it one day... that's ok as well, your qualifying results will be averaged. Saturday will be all qualifying, the balance of qualifying and the mains will happen on Sunday. We will be running all types of Zs on each day of the event. It's gonna be like Woodstock for MiniZs !!! :rolleyes: Hate to see anyone miss out !!! :D

imxlr8ed
2005.10.24, 03:50 PM
Ok... here's the deal... for now at least, I want feedback on this !
Now, I know some peeps can only attend for one day... and some are getting hotel rooms for Sat. night. I'm trying to be as fair as possible to all. We will have qualifying on Saturday for all classes, and the remainder of qualifying and Mains on Sunday. When it comes to populating the mains though... it seems to be more fair to the 2 day guys (who are shelling out the cash to stay over) to populate by total laps. Sure, it may be unfair to the Sunday only crowd to do this... They still get to race obviously, but they're not going to get into an A Main.

Or... do I go by average laps in the 7 minute qualifys... and give the Sunday only crowd a -5 lap penalty ? (-5 not set in stone obviously)

I'm trying to be fair, and reward the die-hards here for their dedication to the mighty Z. But... I don't want to cut anyone out ! If you are a good racer, it'll show regardless of how you finish overall (laps are laps), besides, as a grass-roots race event like this is, it's all about the fun of it anyways !

Let me know what you guys think... I'll post "rules" accordingly.

arch2b
2005.10.24, 07:41 PM
are you still going to be flexible regarding race what you bring? i no longer have a stock mr-02 :( all but one are upgrade replacements.

regarding rules, so long as the emphasis is on having fun i'm ok with anything. i'd hate to get the same kind of attitudes that enevitabley show up forevents like the kyosho cup. they were a minority mind you but there were some...

imxlr8ed
2005.10.26, 11:43 AM
are you still going to be flexible regarding race what you bring? i no longer have a stock mr-02 :( all but one are upgrade replacements.

regarding rules, so long as the emphasis is on having fun i'm ok with anything. i'd hate to get the same kind of attitudes that enevitabley show up forevents like the kyosho cup. they were a minority mind you but there were some...

Yes ! Run what ya brung ! Now... obviously there will be advantages here and there for some... but this is all for a good time... running a triple stack against a bunch of stock boards isn't really good sportsmanship... but we will allow it. and bring towels please... no towels, no table usage !

No attitudes... I (imxlr8ed) reserve the right to tear you in half like a phone book, if you get outta line ! :D

Also... if you're not signed up on our site... don't expect to race... unless you catch me in a really good mood !

imxlr8ed
2005.10.26, 02:58 PM
Just wanted to add to that... I will probably harrass some in warmups with my triple stack cars as well, but not when it comes to the races, I'll be running my stock board ! It's cool Arch, I know you are running single stacks. In our experience, this is right on the edge of control for our layout, I switched my entire crew over to stock fets a little while ago, everybody's times got better ! I know an expert driver can do some real damage to times with some monster fetted Z, but, if he's a sportsman :cool: , and racing a bunch of guys with stock fets, he's not going to race anything above a single stack turbo. Turbo status (anything above a single stack) will be listed with the results.

I was actually thinking of having a grudge race for the "Outlaw" cars... I know Gasman is dying to race his million mile per hour Pro-Z ! :D

ruknd@aol.com
2005.10.27, 07:12 PM
it looks like I may not be able to make it..hopefully that will change but count me in for next time!

gasman1
2005.10.27, 08:38 PM
it looks like I may not be able to make it..hopefully that will change but count me in for next time!

That sucks ! We'll keep a spot for you anyways ! And you'll always have a spot at all our events !!! :) Hope things change !

imxlr8ed... stuck racing at gasmans ! :rolleyes:

imxlr8ed
2005.10.28, 01:51 PM
We here at D.O.W. are proud to announce that MiniZRacer.com is putting up gift certificates as prizes for the top three finishers of each class ! Absolute honor to have MZR as a sponsor, after all, if it wasn't for MZR... we wouldn't be having GTGs !!!

All hail MZR !!! :D (thanks to arch for setting it up too !)

Also... we will be having a raffle for various items on the day of the finals (Sunday)
One item will be an RTR MiniZ... not nib though... and certainly not stock ! Let's just call it, the D.O.W. Special ! (yeah... can I have a triple stack with that, and a large side of alloy ? :D ) I'll post pics after the event !

arch2b
2005.10.28, 10:02 PM
uploaded pics of my setups (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=678&ppuser=1001) as of this weekend. i don't expect them to change much between now and the race date. other than the busted monster knuckle...

imxlr8ed
2005.11.01, 07:38 PM
Well, I can't seem to get hold of Techno, and it doesn't seem like any NYers are coming down... Might just be the PA, DC GTG after all is said and done !

C'mon NYers !!! We've been up there 3 times ! Anyone ?... :confused:

It is free to race....
We are running all classes on both days...
There are prizes to be given out...
We are having a raffle for some very cool items on Sunday...
We are going to have an awesome Overland course as well...

arch2b
2005.11.01, 08:17 PM
yeah, it's a bit frustrating when you work to provide a free racing event for anyone and everyone says it's great and they are excited to go and then don't post and are no shows :( it's not exactly encouraging to both imx and myself to go thru the effort of doing something like this to have people who were so supportive and enthusiastic bail at the end.

i understand a few who had committed to going have haver personal issues or other priorities have trumped the races... that kind of stuff happens.

at the very least/worst it will be a pa/dc event although the pa guys will severly out number the dc crew.

arch2b
2005.11.02, 06:14 AM
looks like chucky is out, he has other plans which can not be moved.

imxlr8ed
2005.11.02, 12:08 PM
Oh well... I'm gonna have fun anyways, my drivers deserve this, so I'm going through with it ! I know they will be there ! I thought for sure that there would be a big NY presence at this one, but apparently they are just not interested. It's not like it hasn't been advertised all over the place ! Not much of a show of support out there ! Thanks Arch... honored to have you show !

Apathy will destroy this hobby, only if you let it !

Look forward to hosting a regional soon !

EMU
2005.11.02, 12:54 PM
Guys, as I stated before... I would love to come and race, but transportation is the main problem for me. I also work Sunday-Friday... Keeping Saturday free so I can race at Action RC. I could have taken off on Sunday, if I could get there. Most of the other NY guys have busy schedules as well. A few of them just coming back from the PN Worlds.

If I had a car, I would be there. I dont think that I had made any false claims that I would be there, because I knew it would be a mission and a half to get transportation. I stated that if I could get transportation I would go. Nobody else from NY is going, so that makes it very difficult for me to.

imxlr8ed
2005.11.02, 01:12 PM
Guys, as I stated before... I would love to come and race, but transportation is the main problem for me. I also work Sunday-Friday... Keeping Saturday free so I can race at Action RC. I could have taken off on Sunday, if I could get there. Most of the other NY guys have busy schedules as well. A few of them just coming back from the PN Worlds.

If I had a car, I would be there. I dont think that I had made any false claims that I would be there, because I knew it would be a mission and a half to get transportation. I stated that if I could get transportation I would go. Nobody else from NY is going, so that makes it very difficult for me to.

I understand your situation, I'm not harping on anyone here. Just curious if there is something more I could've done. (Other than us making it a free event, with prizes for each class, and having other handout items available, and a really cool raffle...just because we love racing that much...) :confused:

ruknd@aol.com
2005.11.03, 07:01 PM
I jsut cant get there this time...as much as I'd like to. Next time I'll try and bring a carload though! I had a great time last time and relly hope we can do it again.

arch2b
2005.11.04, 11:03 PM
next time ruk ;)

looks like i'll have to drive there and back each day now that i'm going solo :( that's a good 600 miles/12 hours total.

bags packed and ready to go early sat morning :p

arch2b
2005.11.06, 08:45 PM
just got in... write more after i unpack etc, etc....

gasman1
2005.11.07, 10:58 AM
Here are some pictures of our gtg, enjoy!

I would like to take this time to personally thank our Sponsors, Mini-z Racer.com, Pn Racing and RCP-Tracks for supporting this event.

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=26

briankstan
2005.11.07, 11:16 AM
I checked out the picture, man I sure with that I lived closer :( , it looks like you guys had a great time. :)

I really liked what you guys did with the overland course. pretty creative. Did you do timed trials?

I like you track setup too, it was enormous. Looked like a fun track to run on, and it looks like you still had a great turn out.

Brian

gasman1
2005.11.07, 11:57 AM
I checked out the picture, man I sure with that I lived closer :( , it looks like you guys had a great time. :)

I really liked what you guys did with the overland course. pretty creative. Did you do timed trials?

I like you track setup too, it was enormous. Looked like a fun track to run on, and it looks like you still had a great turn out.

Brian

Yes we did timed trials on the Overland course. it was a tough but fun course to drive. That bridge was really tricky to cross.

The track was 6 Wide Ls and an expansion kit. Fastest lap times were in the low to mid 15 second range. We had a Core system there so our results will be posted probably tomorrow.

We had up to 17 drivers there at one time and a lot of others that came and left early on both days. We had a great time! We onlt wish more of the out of towners would have been able to make it. There's always next time.

arch2b
2005.11.07, 08:47 PM
the way the overland even worked was;
3 laps, best time won. everytime a marshall had to pick your truck up, it was a 3 second penalty or something like that. i know, it sounds too easy but it was actually a challenge

both rob and i have all the video too :p i'm sure rob could get to it before i could...

arch2b
2005.11.08, 06:16 AM
here is my sons box of carnage

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album743/IMG_2465.sized.jpg
broken overland
partially broken xmods h2
broken mr-015
and some busted bodies

here is a short video (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album743/overland_trials_pajero.wmv) of the overland trials

here is a tip; if you want the 360 gtc to be any good on an rcp track, trim down the front lip
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album743/IMG_2466.sized.jpg

here is one of next purchases for sure (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album743/IMG_2476.sized.jpg) :p it just looks like too much fun! bascially an enlarged mr-01 chassis (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album743/IMG_2481.sized.jpg)

bda52
2005.11.08, 08:08 AM
Arch or any of the GTG guys, is the semi fully propo?

soyverde
2005.11.08, 09:54 AM
here is my sons box of carnage

broken overland
partially broken xmods h2
broken mr-015
and some busted bodies

Wow, if littleB keeps this up, you are going to get quite proficient with the JB-Weld. :D And didn't you just fix his overland?

here is a tip; if you want the 360 gtc to be any good on an rcp track, trim down the front lip

I was wondering about this, it doesn't look like it'd be as bad as an F1, but that lip looks like it could act as a nice wedge under the rails. I have read similar things about the small fins on the front quarter panel of the supra and 350z race bodies (i.e. they catch on the rails a lot).

Glad to see you guys had fun.

gasman1
2005.11.08, 10:01 AM
Arch or any of the GTG guys, is the semi fully propo?

yes it is! it's really a nice truck for the money. Handles pretty well right out of the box. Could be lowered some to keep up speed around corners though. They are selling them on Ebay under mini-z search

We are planning to get 1/32 trailers and race them that way. It ought to be nuts.

imxlr8ed
2005.11.08, 02:44 PM
Results are here :

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2094#post2094

arch2b
2005.11.11, 08:26 PM
imx, i forwarded the results to mini-z for the gift certificates :) i hope they allow you to get something nice for yourselves. nothing like free cash in a toy store :cool:

arch2b
2005.11.11, 08:36 PM
oh, i have a 25mb video of the a main. i just pasted all the a main clips together, no editing. i'll burn i tot a disc and mail to gasman

EMU
2005.11.11, 08:43 PM
oh, i have a 25mb video of the a main. i just pasted all the a main clips together, no editing. i'll burn i tot a disc and mail to gasman
Arch, anyway that you could upload it somewhere so I can see the fun that I missed out on.

I really wish I could have come :(