PDA

View Full Version : Is censoring the names of your competitors bad for Mini-Z?

G'ZOX
2005.09.14, 02:56 PM
Its your website and obviously you have complete control of its content- basically if someone doesn't like your format they can post somewhere else.

but I got to thinking the other day about how you block out competitors names from posts.. you know like when you type in www.Dball.com (in full) is displays like www.######.com

well the world of Mini-Z and its racers is already really small and www.mini-zracer.com is probably the biggest if not the only site entusiasts post on for questions and answers about our hooby.

so my question is do you think that when you block information by using that formatting are you blocking people from communicating about Mini-Z? theres a lot of Mini-Z stuff you're shop does not carry, but when someone wants to announce "hey PN has a new motor out- check out this link ########" I think its bad for our hobby because often you're stopping people from spreading the word about new and exciting things. Don't forget competition is good for everyone, its good for the consumer because we can get better prices on stuff and its good for a business owner because it makes you keep your business and website constantly up to date which in turn makes it better for business which will make things better for you and your employees. If you had a monopoly on the entire US Mini-Z market you could ship up boxes of rocks with a "Kyosho" sticker stuck on them and we'd be forced to buy it either way.
its just a thought I had, ofcourse anyone with any moderate internet skills can get around having to post direct links but for the average kid that just wants to share with the world that so-and-so "non Mini-ZRacer.com affiliated" website has some new motor mounts available he can't say anything because your site will censor his voice.
I've never come across a web forum that did censoring like that, I think its a pretty smart thing to do business-wise but for the hobby as a whole I think it hurts it.

bolter9
2005.09.14, 05:59 PM
It's pretty common for free retail forums to block or rule against people posting competitor's links.

This forum is an extension of the MZR shop, and since they're footing the bill for the bandwidth, they probably don't like the idea of competitors getting advertising through our posts.

You have to keep in mind that it's a privilege for us to post here, since we don't pay- and therefore, we should respect and show loyalty for the MZR shop.

..now if this were truely a public forum that wasn't associated with a retail company, then it shouldn't be an issue to post other manufacturer's links.

Draconious
2005.09.14, 06:14 PM
Mini-Z owner of this forum/shop woudl gladdly allow the links if said sites were to pay for the advertisement ;) or contribute to the site in some way (as I do as a moderator, even if there isnt much to moderate here)...

some of the sites in my mind are not very... reputable.. so they dont realy deserve to have the links/names work any way... now some do confuse me were he sells their products but still dont allow the link ;).

G'ZOX
2005.09.14, 06:59 PM
I guess I've just never posted on a web forum that also had a shop.
most of them were just free websites so you could post any link you wanted to on them.

mini-zracer.com is such a valuable resource and I love the forums but I wish there was a forum on the web that was as popular and allowed more "free speech" I guess.

davkin
2005.09.14, 07:23 PM
I belong to several forums that are also shops and this is the only one of them that censors like that. I really don't think it accomplishes anything, just kinda makes the shop look a little petty.

David

arch2b
2005.09.14, 08:05 PM
just about every other mini-z forum has forum editing.... it's nothing new or exclusive to mzr

my personal opinion is, it's more of a nusiance than anything else, this goes for all the forums that use editing

TNB
2005.09.14, 08:19 PM
I've never come across a web forum that did censoring like that, I think its a pretty smart thing to do business-wise but for the hobby as a whole I think it hurts it.
Many websites are geared toward business, not recreation, and some websites set up forums as a way to attract business to their own website, not someone else's business or forum. Basically, the website owner is the one "paying" for the bandwidth and everything else associated with his/her/its website, which may include hardware, software, corporate fees, and so on. And while some may use banner advertising to offset some of the costs, some "manufacturer" forums may even prohibit the discussion of other brands simply since they hold the view that other companies should support their own products.

Ken Mifune
2005.09.14, 10:08 PM
I think the editing is fine.
mini-zracer; tinyrc; yourmicro; halfeight... are all great sites with plenty of info, service, products (some are hard to get at first) and good prices. Great members too. Most of them finding a way to get around the editing if they really feel the need to act like a hero, and without repercussions most of the time. Personally, I don't need a direct link anyway. An obscure reference is amusing at times. At the moment, I don't see anybody offering more than David.

G'ZOX
2005.09.14, 10:45 PM
I didn't really want to come across as being whiney or anything, its just something I thought I'd throw out there to see what other people had to say about it. :D

Ninja
2005.09.15, 12:07 AM
try going to the traxxas forums and posting links to http://www.Trilordy.com or http://www.mvbashers.com (1:10 scale monster truck forums) and see what happens

davkin
2005.09.15, 12:34 AM
try going to the traxxas

I agree Traxxas is especially obnoxious about that, however that's a different deal altogether. Traxxas is a manufacturer, not a shop. Their forums are there for the support of their customers for their products. MZR is not a manufacturer and this forum is here for support of Mini-Z's in general, not any particular manufacturer. I'm sure MZR get's far more business from providing this forum than they could ever lose by dropping the censorship. Most of the participants on this board are in the know anyways, so it does nothing. Again, this is the only forum I use that does this, (this is the only Mini-Z forum I use.) and a couple of the others I use are shops also. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, it's their forum they obviously can do as they please, I'm not sure it puts them in a positive light though.

David

bolter9
2005.09.15, 02:01 AM
I didn't really want to come across as being whiney or anything, its just something I thought I'd throw out there to see what other people had to say about it. :D

..and I don't think we took you as being whiney- you made a good point, from one side of the issue. However, it's MZR's forum, and he's looking at it from the other side of the issue- we owe it to him to play by the rules.

arch2b
2005.09.15, 06:21 AM
I agree Traxxas is especially obnoxious about that, however that's a different deal altogether. Traxxas is a manufacturer, not a shop. Their forums are there for the support of their customers for their products. MZR is not a manufacturer and this forum is here for support of Mini-Z's in general, not any particular manufacturer. I'm sure MZR get's far more business from providing this forum than they could ever lose by dropping the censorship. Most of the participants on this board are in the know anyways, so it does nothing. Again, this is the only forum I use that does this, (this is the only Mini-Z forum I use.) and a couple of the others I use are shops also. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, it's their forum they obviously can do as they please, I'm not sure it puts them in a positive light though.

David
mzr does have mzr products but it's not a manufacturer per say.

this being the only mini-z forum you visit, not a bad thing :p , try looking thru others and you'll find nearly all of them use forum editing in one fashion or another. i repeat, this is nothing new or exclusive to mzr. i've been here for over 4 years almost and the forum has had continual growth. while some do not like the editing here and seem to portray it an mzr thing (not anyone at this time in this thread) i do not hear them complaining about it being done on all the other sites as well in a more general context because that is the real issue. it makes no sense to argue why one forum forum does it when it's almost standard proceedure on others without arguing it use as a whole. me personally, i am not for editing but those are the rules and i go with it, here and everywhere else.

most of the time it doesn't get messed with when people subvert the editing. sometimes it's necessary to get the information out in a clear manner. other times it's clearly to push a product or other shop which is obviously very bad form and will be edited as the shop here supports the forums. plus it's tedious work getting in and editing all those posts :rolleyes: i get a few but for the most part i end up missing alot. some of the other moderators here may catch them or they may not but.

this whole subject has been discussed in numerous threads. this is far from the first time i've explained or attempted to explain the reasoning behind it. if you would like more background, i suggest goign back and reading some of the older threads.

moderators don't make policy, we enforce it ;) if you have serious problems with the feature please email mini-z. i'm not upset or anything, i've seen this come up so many times in the last 4 years and well, at some point you get tired of repeating yourself :rolleyes: it's nothing personal at all.

there have been many thoughtful replies posted though so this is one of the better threads on the subject :)

G'ZOX
2005.09.15, 11:26 AM
I could definetly see the editing come in handy if someone out of the blue signs up and just starts bombing the forums with posts about something they are trying to sell. that would just be in really bad form and I'd be glad to see their posts edited out.

Ninja
2005.09.15, 12:23 PM
Traxxas is a manufacturer, not a shop.
traxxas is also a shop, www.buytraxxas.com and www.trilordy.com isnt even a shop or manufacturer. same with www.mvbashers.com they are merely sites for videos and forums, talk about setups, post videos and pics etc.

arch2b
2005.09.15, 07:38 PM
I could definetly see the editing come in handy if someone out of the blue signs up and just starts bombing the forums with posts about something they are trying to sell. that would just be in really bad form and I'd be glad to see their posts edited out.
i believe something like this did actually happen but before i was a member even and this is when and why the editing was enabled.

it's sad to see a few make it hard for the rest of us. i've already banned atleast 6 people this year alone for posting spam advertisments. this site gets less than the others but it still happens :rolleyes: