PDA

View Full Version : NEW IW02 Preview

leonen
2005.09.23, 09:30 AM
Here are some pics on the new model.....

First the manual:

leonen
2005.09.23, 09:31 AM
Manual part 2......

Pictures of the car and maybe some video will follow next week, After we have a chance to track- test it.-

arch2b
2005.09.23, 11:32 AM
thanks for your continued efforts to bring us iwaver news :)

while i'm happy to see iwaver develope something that in the ends is different from kyosho, it's clearly a modified iw-02 chassis in design with the includion of a custom bottom plate which also holds the new rear suspension system and the chopped front end which holds which i'm sure everone will love, a real servo. i applaud the effort but it's not as much of a new design as it is a redesign.

it's my opinion that xmods made more changes with their new chassis than apparently iwaver did with theirs. i may be wrong as i have not seen either personally.

i'm not sold on the rear suspension setup but the use of a real servo is what interests me the most. please give us as much detailed feedback as you can as to how it performs :p

btw, do you have a member gallery? you can upload all these images and simply link or embed them rather than attachments..... emial me if you do not and are interested in getting one.

the exciting thing this winter is the debut of no less than 3 new chassis's from various manufacturers! :D

leonen
2005.09.23, 12:18 PM
the exciting thing this winter is the debut of no less than 3 new chassis's from various manufacturers! :D

That's Right. it's fantastic the miniRC market is moving. That means that it is growing.

I think that iWaver made a redesigned chasis to a miniRc. They made a new chasis. the whole bottomplate is something that's similar to other scales.

xmods, went and mixed their old model with a miniZ MM and..... voilá! the Xmods Evo was born. I love the suspension model of the xMods. And I like they're AWD. But comparing a MiniZ to a XMods, I think the xMods is a very stiff car. The MiniZ is much more agile. The new iWaver has also this quality. It's a very agile car to drive. It seems lightweight and fast.

Take note I'll test a stock car, with no options. perhaps we'll test it with an xSpeed motor. but no other upgrades..... at least at the beginning.

I don't have a Gallery... . I'll post the pictures in my website anyway and post a link to them here. Thanks Anyway.

bda52
2005.09.23, 12:53 PM
leonen, do you know when the release date for the new IW02 and IW04 will be? Looks like from the great pics of both chassis on your site you have some good connections :)

arch2b
2005.09.23, 01:17 PM
it hslps being a dealer or retailer i should say;)

blakmoose1234
2005.09.23, 02:13 PM
I'm prordering one right flippn' now.

leonen
2005.09.23, 02:35 PM
leonen, do you know when the release date for the new IW02 and IW04 will be? Looks like from the great pics of both chassis on your site you have some good connections :)

The new 02 is scheduled for next month..... the 04 ... no exact date for now, perhaps closer to christmas.

it hslps being a dealer or retailer i should say;)

It sure does. :rolleyes:

leonen
2005.09.27, 12:59 PM
This next text is a translation of the one published at http://foros.ath.cx/forums/675/ShowPost.aspx. thanks.

Last week arrived at our hands, a prelaunch model that iWaver distributed among some representatived, for demostrations and to present it in society.

In our case it was a red Saleen S7. The body seems looooonnggg ... but in fact it's narrow, which gives the sensation of longness, but really the fact that it is narrow makes it hard for it to fit into the chassis.

The model arrived complete, justa as it will go onsale. It's no prototipe anymore.

The box and presentation is almost identical to the previous iWaver. It has teh same accesories (springs, pinions, wrenchs, etc.), manuals, and the same distribution as up till now in the whole iWaver line of models. The only difference is that now, the box has the model name printed on and the shape of the body is cutout on the back, as a window to the inside.

The two most importante news are the new radio, and the so much waited new chassis design.

The radio is almost an upgrade to the model presented with the old IW02 model. A little chang here and there cometically, but essentially the hiperluminic blue LED that was a pain in the ayes averytime you tried to checked the settings in the LCD display, is now moved to the base of the controller, pointing directly to the trigger.

On a simple observation you can see that the finishing is not as nice as the old model. This one feels cheap and the looks are not that great.

The software has some upgrades, such as 4 point ABS (off / slow / normal / fast) in all channels. then everything else is about the same.

When we look at the new chassis, at first it seems cheap plastic was used to build it but, then when you see that the main chassis and aother important pieces are made of great quality plastic. The design in general es innovative but not that much. It's a Mini-Z with some modernization upgrades. The new chassis structure in just one piece that holds both wheeltrains (front and back) and unites the rest of the pieces, (servo, batteryholder, ESC, lateral suspenssion, motor support) using screws, makes it similar to chassis of bigger scales, and seems to give the car a very stable ride.

The front suspension is completely independent, also with KingPins old 02 style, and made of one piece screwed - as teh rest of the modules - to the main chassis.

A lot of these components will be available for sale as Aluminum upgrade parts, and the main chasis, in carbon fiber. Let's say that if you like tohave a super car, you'll have the chance, and if the car stock offers marvelous qualities that I'll talk about further on...... I don't want to imagine with advanced accesories how it will perform!

As we said earlier, this new model has a lot from it's predecesors. Wheels, tyres, nuts and bolts, spings, motor, differential. This makes the car have the possibility to use a lot of available aftermarket accesories, and even thought it's something new, it's not far from what miniRC is today. So we can say that this brand new car will be able to run head to head with any of the actual models that compete worldwide.

Tha car came with super soft tyres (narrow front and wide in the back).

The intention was to test it fully stock.

Thrown in the track, which to this occation was half foam, half carpet, we inmediately noticed the great steering response. The turn radius is impressive. Nevertheless, when running at high speeds the car does not desetabilizes at a tight turn. Perhaps being MM avoids that it's tail go out and keeps the center of gravity, low and near the center of the car.

The motor was equipped with the 6 tooth pinnion. And even though we prefer to use the 8 tooth, in this case, we didn't exchange it and we noted that the speed that it had was interesting for a small "stock" motor. It seemed to be more like an xSpeed motor..

With no modifications to the car, it showed to be competitive, well balanced and with high response to acceleration and braking, and also obviously when turning.

One thing that this stock model doesn't have is the FETs upgrade to allow for fat motors to be used. Something increidible because at this point iWaver showed that can build ESCs that support even the i-PRO 80.000RPM motor, with no problem, and that also today, everybody likes to fit in, a fater motor. No doubt this responds to commercial politics of the brand, that in a near future plans to launch an ESC that will support those motors, but as an optional upgrade.

Another downpoint is that sadly iWaver down not have many bodies licensed. Just the Saleen S7 and a new revamped MM versión of the Ford GT, dress up this magnificent chassis.

The Mustang is promised, and others more. But you can alwas used the famous Autoscales from Kyosho, that fit perfectly. (we test drive it also with the Mercedes McLaren SLR and the performance was even better!!!).

Adding up, the car it's not another miniRC more. It's agile as the MiniZ, and the speed to compete in any track. Stock, has pretty good performance, and no doubt that with the alum, and/or carbon optional parts, that will be available once the model hit the streets, will make this a sure winner.

The planned commercial launch of the model is early / mid October..... Let's wait and hope the date is true, cause we are waiting for the model since April, that's when it was firstly promised

Sincerily the waith was worth it. The car is very intresting to drive and no doubt in the next few months will conquer various markets dominated today by the giant Kyosho, that even though it's launching to the world of miniRC, the new AWD models, the high prices will make them prohibitive in some parts if the world...

Iwaver promises more exciting news for next year. Meanwhile we wait,let's enjoy this brand new model that has a lot to be discovered yet.

General Puntuation: FANTASTIC CAR.

Some photos of the chassis and the model are in: http://foros.ath.cx/photos/iwaver/category1032.aspx

Just give us your comments on it as soon as you have one!!!!

bda52
2005.09.27, 01:19 PM
leonen, great review!

A couple of questions. How does the steering tie rod attach to the steering knuckles? From the pics it looks like it screws into the knuckle.

In the last pic, the one where the front of the body shows scratches, it looks like the left hand side mirror was glued back on. Are the mirrors solid plastic like on the ASC Enzo?

When you mention the plastic felt of a "cheaper" quality for some parts were you refering to the bottom plate of the chassis? From the looks of the pics again, the bottom plate looks like it might have some sort of rubber mixed in to create the flex for the rear suspension.

Thank you again for the wonderful review!!

leonen
2005.09.27, 01:41 PM
leonen, great review!

A couple of questions. How does the steering tie rod attach to the steering knuckles? From the pics it looks like it screws into the knuckle.

Yes... you have a couple of Screws that tighten the steering rod to the knuckles. just click on the picture to see it full size.

In the last pic, the one where the front of the body shows scratches, it looks like the left hand side mirror was glued back on. Are the mirrors solid plastic like on the ASC Enzo?

LOL!!! They're not scratches.... Our Track has guardrails painted with allumninum paint that stains the cars.... let's say that we had some hard times entering the curves!!! LOL! ;)

The mirror is not hard plastic. All the new models from iWaver have elastic rubber mirrors. This one has that white part that's suposed to go under the body. we fooled with it and that little bit stuck out.

When you mention the plastic felt of a "cheaper" quality for some parts were you refering to the bottom plate of the chassis? From the looks of the pics again, the bottom plate looks like it might have some sort of rubber mixed in to create the flex for the rear suspension.

The plastics thaseem cheap are the ones that cover the ESC and the motor cover. The chassis if made of some form of strong and flexible good quality plastic.

Thank you again for the wonderful review!!

Thanks to you for enjoying it!

blakmoose1234
2005.09.27, 05:45 PM
any servo or steering related problems that seem likely to happen or already have?

leonen
2005.09.27, 07:23 PM
any servo or steering related problems that seem likely to happen or already have?

none fopr the moment. The servo doesn't seem to be very fragile either. The steering response is quite impressive.

blakmoose1234
2005.09.27, 08:47 PM
cool, how does it compare to a mini-z?

Ronin
2005.09.27, 11:10 PM
are those pictures with a rear ball diff installed?

so, I will be able to use the parts off of my old 02, so it seems. interesting....

oh, is anyone else finding it a pain to get the crystals out from the bottom of the chassis without ripping the paper tag off? annoying..

bda52
2005.09.27, 11:35 PM
oh, is anyone else finding it a pain to get the crystals out from the bottom of the chassis without ripping the paper tag off? annoying..

Yes and no. On the IW crystals, the tag tore off the first time I tried to remove the crystal. Using the K crystals there is no problem for me.

HaCo
2005.09.28, 12:08 PM
leonen,

Great Review! Thank you.

Can you tell me of the rear dampers are from alu? Are thy really smooth or as bad as de GPM side dampers?

What's the weight of the chassis?

The front servo wires look fragile...

If the front steering is so responsive, this will be perfect for our narrow technical race tracks... :D

blakmoose1234
2005.09.28, 04:35 PM
can you lock the diffs with glue? and is the wiring good with no loose solder work and such? post at least one crappy vid for god's sake!

arch2b
2005.09.28, 07:50 PM
Yes and no. On the IW crystals, the tag tore off the first time I tried to remove the crystal. Using the K crystals there is no problem for me.
i have yet to use an xtal with paper... that is the problem right there. get better xtals. xmods xtal labels tend to tear or frey badly over time but that better than ripping off completly

herman
2005.09.29, 06:31 AM
great review....
wondering if there is any servo saver... :confused:
and would appreciate any vids comparing it to kyosho... :D
how's it after changing the pinions to 8/9teeth?

leonen
2005.09.29, 09:17 AM
cool, how does it compare to a mini-z?

We don't have any down here.... way tooo overpriced. Sorry

leonen
2005.09.29, 09:23 AM
are those pictures with a rear ball diff installed?

so, I will be able to use the parts off of my old 02, so it seems. interesting....

Yes.. in the pictures you can see a Ball Diff. We installed it later, together with Ball bearings, just to see how the response changed. Obviuosly, the performance improved much and the car was unbelievable steady. The speed of response to commands also improved. I mean, it turned faster and also acceleration and braking was easier.

Perhaps, compared to a Kyosho, the car is not so amazing. But let me tell you, this car is no piece of ****. Iwaver improved a lot!!.

The Ball diff is from a IW02, and yes... you can re use you old parts too.

leonen
2005.09.29, 09:28 AM
leonen,

Great Review! Thank you.

Can you tell me of the rear dampers are from alu? Are thy really smooth or as bad as de GPM side dampers?

What's the weight of the chassis?

The front servo wires look fragile...

If the front steering is so responsive, this will be perfect for our narrow technical race tracks... :D

The stock dampers are plastic. Alum will be sold separately. They are not very smooth. I read in a spanish forum, where they also tested it, that after removing the side dampers, the car gained balance and performance. We didn't test it without them.

We don't have a scale to weight the car... sorry!

The wires look fragile, that's true. but let us test it a little more to see if they break easily. Up till now, they resisted pretty well.

The tight steering is wonderful. You will need to adapt to such. It's not easy the first time you grab the car....

leonen
2005.09.29, 09:31 AM
can you lock the diffs with glue? and is the wiring good with no loose solder work and such? post at least one crappy vid for god's sake!

lock the diff with glue? yeah... we used some vinyl glue to seal the screws. It's a common Ball Bearing diff from the old models....

the solder is a minus point in the iwaver products. In this model, it looks fragile but no broken wires were detected.

I'll post a video next week.

leonen
2005.09.29, 09:32 AM
great review....
wondering if there is any servo saver... :confused:
and would appreciate any vids comparing it to kyosho... :D
how's it after changing the pinions to 8/9teeth?

There's a servo saver. Got no K's ..... can't compare it!

this next weekend we'll test the pinions......

700club
2005.09.29, 01:56 PM
good review, i am looking forward to this car coming out.

herman
2005.09.30, 04:39 AM
thanks for the quick reply... can you post pic of servo saver???
hope you have fun testing it out... maybe you can compare it to the iwaver 01 (first edition) and to the iwaver 02 (like the mr02 version of kyosho)...

thanks again... :D

leonen
2005.09.30, 09:34 AM
thanks for the quick reply... can you post pic of servo saver???
hope you have fun testing it out... maybe you can compare it to the iwaver 01 (first edition) and to the iwaver 02 (like the mr02 version of kyosho)...

thanks again... :D

The IW01 beyond it's servo problems, once cleaned and adjusted, it has a very good steering response. I'd say that the IW01 it's a nervous car, with good response, but very low car balance. Good speed, but not easy to handle.

The IW02, it's to me a far much more balanced car. It's an easy car to handle and it's steering is not as good as in the IW01. I have driven mostly the RM version, and just once an MM version while testing the fit of a 1:24 scale body, so i don't have preety much the feeling of driving an MM as the new IW02.

I know that the MM feel much more steady than the RM, and that the car handles slightly better. But, as I always say to people that are entering miniRC racing.... "both cars are good cars, but it depends on your style of driving. You just have to drive them."

Now I'll have to add that the new IW02 is another kind of car. It has the best of both and.... also improved.

Hypocrisy
2005.10.01, 07:42 PM
well the new 02car has been released in sweden, i`ll get my car next week, will be interesting to see how it compares to the mr02 and iw02... the ones who have tested the car first hasnt been impressed with it...

HaCo
2005.10.02, 05:29 AM
well the new 02car has been released in sweden, i`ll get my car next week, will be interesting to see how it compares to the mr02 and iw02... the ones who have tested the car first hasnt been impressed with it...
Where did you get that info?

HaCo
2005.10.02, 06:32 AM
Leonen,

Is there any chance IW will release clear bodies without paint?

leonen
2005.10.02, 06:58 PM

That's good..... not even in china it's available yet!

yamar6
2005.10.02, 07:15 PM
is the new radio a 3 channal like the old 02Here are some pics on the new model.....

First the manual:

leonen
2005.10.02, 07:45 PM
Leonen,

Is there any chance IW will release clear bodies without paint?

mmm I doubt it... but don't know for sure

arch2b
2005.10.02, 07:59 PM
it wouldn't be much of a stretch for them... they are already clear :p j/k

herman
2005.10.02, 08:58 PM
The IW01 beyond it's servo problems, once cleaned and adjusted, it has a very good steering response. I'd say that the IW01 it's a nervous car, with good response, but very low car balance. Good speed, but not easy to handle.

The IW02, it's to me a far much more balanced car. It's an easy car to handle and it's steering is not as good as in the IW01. I have driven mostly the RM version, and just once an MM version while testing the fit of a 1:24 scale body, so i don't have preety much the feeling of driving an MM as the new IW02.

I know that the MM feel much more steady than the RM, and that the car handles slightly better. But, as I always say to people that are entering miniRC racing.... "both cars are good cars, but it depends on your style of driving. You just have to drive them."

Now I'll have to add that the new IW02 is another kind of car. It has the best of both and.... also improved.

thanks for the input... kinda odd though... iw01 steering is better than the iw02... in my experience with the kyosho's mr01 to mr02... as one always looks forward to an improvement over the previous models, i've always favored the mr02 (better balance, better handling-in terms of steering, plus it has a servo saver)...

although i've got a iw01 pro and iw02, i haven't really tested them both... but initially the iw02 had problems of steering going back to center... and i havent tried out the iw01 pro just yet...

Hypocrisy
2005.10.03, 05:06 AM
well.. its availible, the first ones who got their kits and tested them said that the servo was too slow, and if you turned full lock on the steering in high speed then the steering would lock itself up, plus when you put the body on the whole car gets tweaked by 2mm. that doesnt sound good to me, but i will get my own kit next weekend and test i right away then, will have my own report on it on sunday.
it doesnt look as good as the prototype kits, its going to take alot of cf and blue aluminium to make it look good! :eek:

HaCo
2005.10.03, 11:55 AM
Damn, that doesn't sound too good. I hope it's better then described...

HaCo
2005.10.03, 01:30 PM
leonen,

Have you recieved a flyer with option parts, maybe you could send us a scan of that?
Can't wait to see the video of the car leonen. Do you have anything to add to the comments of Hypocrisy?

leonen
2005.10.03, 04:04 PM
leonen,

Have you recieved a flyer with option parts, maybe you could send us a scan of that?
Can't wait to see the video of the car leonen. Do you have anything to add to the comments of Hypocrisy?

Hi HaCo,

No flyer yet, but I have a list of parts that will be available in alum as add-ons. I'll post it later.

Comments on what Hypocrisy said? well.... Nothing of what he said happend to us here in Argentina, nor to the spanish guys that tested the car in Spain.

I wonder how the cars are onsale in belgium when nowhere else in the world they're.

Can't say he's lying. Perhaps they recieved a few copies that are selling earlier. That's cool!!!.--

Anyway I think the real judgement on this car will come through time. And a lot of people testing it. No matter what I say. I just have a simple personal opinion on the car.

For me, it's a great car. I tested it and it has great speed, good handling and you all will certainly have the chance to try them sooner or later at you local clubs.

I'll try to get some video footage to upload.

See you!

HaCo
2005.10.03, 04:10 PM
leonen,

somehow I trust you on your review :D

here are photo's from my belgian collegues:
http://microludic.mesdiscussions.net/forum2.php?config=microludic.inc&post=61&cat=2&cache=cache&sondage=0&owntopic=0&p=1&trash=0&subcat=&trash_post=0

Greetz,
HaCo

davkin
2005.10.03, 08:26 PM
Just going by pics I like this design much better than the MR02 Mini-Z, my only concern is Iwaver quality, especially with the PCB. I had such horrible glitching problems with the two original IW02's I had that I couldn't race them with other's, I could only run them by themselves. I'll consider buying the newgen IW02 if I don't hear of any glitching complaints.

David

Thomas
2005.10.04, 04:00 AM
Iwaver R02 arrived in Sweden last week.
The first cars was out to customers on Friday, and the feedback is not good.
The new servo is to slow, and fragile. : :mad:
And the body tweak the car. Some as bad as 2mm. :eek:
But the box looks good. :cool:
If Iwaver do not supplying a new servo, one shop consider to return all the cars.
Pictures of the car: http://www.miniracingbolaget.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11948

This feedback is from the swedish mini-z forum.
Today I am wery happy I was to late to order the cars for my store. :)

EnTg888
2005.10.04, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear that... I've been waiting for this car all year, lol. I do hope they fix the servo problems; I think that servo has a lot of potential vs. the Kyosho "servos."
Oh yea, whatever happened to the blue servo that's seen in all the promo pics? and Hobbico says the car comes with a fiberglass chassis?

MiniZMaster
2005.10.05, 07:15 AM
$30 for a new one?
crap crap crap dont get one in my opion

davkin
2005.10.05, 08:06 PM
The first cars was out to customers on Friday, and the feedback is not good.

That is just amazing. It's not like these cars are that complicated, why is it so hard for any of the manufacturers, (yes, I'm including Kyosho in on this one.) to do a mini R/C right?

David

EnTg888
2005.10.05, 10:58 PM
$30 for a new one?
crap crap crap dont get one in my opion
Sorry if this is a stupid question but... $30 for what? (Car, servo?)

leonen
2005.10.06, 09:17 AM
That is just amazing. It's not like these cars are that complicated, why is it so hard for any of the manufacturers, (yes, I'm including Kyosho in on this one.) to do a mini R/C right?

David

David,

just wait till you try one. The car we recieved is really a good car. I think It's not perfect. The body is a bit too narrow or the chassis a bit too wide, perhaps that's the problem these guys are talking about the car twitching 2mm. We didn't have that problem. Though, when I tried the McLaren F1 body, the car doesn't run. I can't figure out yet what's causing it, but the car does not respond. If I take the body a little bit out, the car begins to respond. :eek:

It must have something to do with a battery moving out of place.... a contact not working.... don't know. I'll try to sort it out and post the solution here.

But aside that, the car makes the whole 360° in a single mini-tile!.... the turn radius is really tight° .. and the motor besides being a stock motor, responds like an xSpeed. It's fast.

I know I don't have the whole truth on the car. The best evaluation will be the one YOU all do, when you guys test drive the car. For now... this is just my humble opinion.

leonen
2005.10.06, 09:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear that... I've been waiting for this car all year, lol. I do hope they fix the servo problems; I think that servo has a lot of potential vs. the Kyosho "servos."
Oh yea, whatever happened to the blue servo that's seen in all the promo pics? and Hobbico says the car comes with a fiberglass chassis?

The servo color is no important, the mechanism it's the same. The cover is changed.

The fiberglass body will be available as an optional upgrade part. As all the extra alum parts too.

Hypocrisy
2005.10.06, 04:36 PM
well there will be alot of cf and blue aluminium on my car, but first i vill put some nice cf vinylfilm on the servo to make it look better. i just hate the grey color.. will post some pics after the weekend when i have the car and have tested it for real. cant say i have any positive predictions after all that i have heard from other that have tested the car.
but it would be nice if the car has more steering and the same rear end grip as the mr02 and 02 car.
about the mclaren body problem that leonen posted earlier, i have one here as well, and will test it right away.

Hypocrisy
2005.10.09, 07:48 AM
well got my car yesterday, unpacked it, and well, it didnt look too bad. but when i started to look on the details i got a little disapointed, the main chassis is made in plastic, and is really soft, the whole front suspension has alot of flex, and all plastic in the car is quite soft, half of all screws in the har had been overtightened, and had no threads left :eek: the front suspension had alot of sloop. and the whole har is tweaked, epspecially the rear of the car.
well, all these things can be fixed quite easily, so time to test the car! turn the car on, and find that the servo is really slow! and dont center properly. its impossible to get the car go in a straight line! the servo neeeds to be replaced before i can test the car for real.
looking at the radio, nothing wrong with it, exept that the steering has the same sloop as the front wheel on the car, but thats a thing that can be fixed by putting a washer on the screw that holds the wheel.

but there is one really nice thing - the body, got a yellow gt40, man its nice, nice details and not as soft as the previous iwaver bodies, it takes some force to get the body on the car.
but i can say that im really disapointed of the car, this is nothing of what i had expected from the start, a better servo and more rigid chassis and the car had been alot better!

a friend bought his car at the same time as me, and his servo didnt even work..

the funny thing is when you look at the box (one of the nicest packages on the market) you read on the side: THIS IS IWAVER.. that slogan really makes me laugh now..

will post some pics tonight on the car and the body.

HaCo
2005.10.09, 10:44 AM
Thank you for your review.

Do you have allready an idea what you can do with the servo? Could you replace it with for example a Futaba servo? On a German thread I read something about the board that gives only 3V to the steering servo, and that that could be a reason for the slow servo. A way to improve this problem would be by replacing the servo motor with another motor?

I will give this car a chance and I still hope it will succeed.

davkin
2005.10.09, 01:10 PM
the funny thing is when you look at the box (one of the nicest packages on the market) you read on the side: THIS IS IWAVER.. that slogan really makes me laugh now..

Oh man, I'd think Iwaver could get something right by now. I won't to risk the kind of trouble I got with the original IW02's I bought, it sounds as if the new IW02 is even worse. Unbeleivable! I'm definately not going to waste any money on that junk. I'm so frustrated overall with the whole mini-R/C scene. I'm tired of being raped by Kyosho and now Iwaver has the right price but POS quality. All I'm going to do from now on is the least I have to in order to keep my OL and MR02 track worthy.

David

Hypocrisy
2005.10.09, 05:20 PM

Do you have allready an idea what you can do with the servo? Could you replace it with for example a Futaba servo? On a German thread I read something about the board that gives only 3V to the steering servo, and that that could be a reason for the slow servo. A way to improve this problem would be by replacing the servo motor with another motor?

i have emailed the distrubitor for iwaver and asked what to do, the problems are so many in this (my) car that i dont know if i really want to make it work.. the only thing i can think of is replacing all plastic in the car with aluminium, and the chassis with a cf one, but the price tag on that is high, and i end up with a really heavy car.
i dont know why the servo is so slow, and it is a 4 wire servo, will look in closer on this and see if there is possible to try another servo of another brand.

took some pics of the car.. heres some of the problems that i dont like:

rear end tweak1:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2126/ro2tweak5mi.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
rear end tweak2:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2218/r02tweak28zb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Front end flex:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5803/r02flex3oe.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The car:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9697/r028ze.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

leonen
2005.10.17, 10:48 AM

Haco, I've seen you got yourself the Saleen, Did it came with the new chassis? or is it just a body?

If it's the first, what's your impression?

HaCo
2005.10.17, 01:21 PM
leonen,

Wish it wasn't, but it's just a body... The shop where I ordered the IW02 from, will recieve it's shippement next week, will give my review then too!

Looking forward to the moment that I open the package and touch, feel the new chassis :D :D

michvin
2005.10.17, 02:38 PM
Iwaver did it again :(
nice idea - poor implementation. I'm frightened to think of hearing about 4WD iwaver :cool:

Hypocrisy
2005.10.17, 04:34 PM
nah..i think that if iwaver just stick to making copies of other good cars they will be allright. they had some good ideas with the r02, but blew it on the quality, but im sure that they will improve the car and it will be as good as their other kits by time..

davkin
2005.10.17, 07:20 PM
but im sure that they will improve the car and it will be as good as their other kits by time..

Oh goody, so crappier will just become plain crappy.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.18, 01:09 AM
Hey, you gotta look at some facts here... it's only available in one place... market test, public testing... these may not be the cars that we seen in the US or the rest of the world... they may just be a feeler for how the IW-02 is going to be accepted... or thrown away... you can't knock it till you've tried it.

arch2b
2005.10.18, 06:19 AM
that may be true but we all have been sayting that for all teh other iwavers and they did not get improved much if any by the time they arrived here. the only one that seems to be even worth purchasing so far is the iw-02 and that has alot of detractors as well as supporters. iwaver just doesn't have the reputation of improving things really. they are what they are, a bargin entry level rc in terms of quality. like xmods, both developed a new chassis only to have the quality hinder it's sucess it seems.

Hypocrisy
2005.10.18, 06:24 AM
well the car was going to be released first in mid october in hongkong, then in november, now they have postponed the release to december. might be that they needed to change some things before the real release.. :rolleyes:

HaCo
2005.10.18, 12:43 PM
december, are you sure?

bda52
2005.10.18, 02:24 PM
december, are you sure?

t o w e r now says early Nov.

leonen
2005.10.19, 12:05 AM
t o w e r now says early Nov.

the cars are ready to be shipped. so.. wait for them to appear in your LHS any time now.

arch2b
2005.10.19, 06:09 AM
thanks for the update :)

fast4buy
2005.10.19, 02:05 PM
I hate to have to say it but : "buy cheap - get cheap"
I fell into this trap with the first IW02, almost all parts in it are now Kyosho apart from the electronics and servo gears so it was also a case of:
"by cheap- buy twice"
The only thing that saved the IW02 from becoming a basket case was interchangibility with MR02 parts.
The new IW02 has none of this of course so the risk of it becoming a pile of folorn plastic and wires in the bottom of an assorted spare parts box is higher.
Cheers

davkin
2005.10.19, 08:11 PM
you can't knock it till you've tried it.

Hmm...so I take it you prefer to learn from your own mistakes rather than learn from those of others. I personally prefer to let others waste their money and tell me how bad the product is so I don't waste mine. :D I already blew money on IW01's and the original IW02's. I'll never buy another Iwaver product without getting plenty of feedback from others that have bought it first. Now if it turns that Iwaver irons out the wrinkles before exporting them to the US and the reviews here are positive then I may take another chance on Iwaver, however given their history that is quite unlikely to happen. I'd be suprised if the cars that are out already are much different than the cars that hit the general market.

I hate to have to say it but : "buy cheap - get cheap"

The problem is IMO all these cars are overpiced, especially the Kyosho's. Mini-Z's should be selling for the new Iwaver price, about $90-100 retail for a readyset, and that's when they first appear on shelves, not this $150-160 crap. You can buy a 1/18 4WD truck that has far more parts, material and technology, (and better quality) for about that price. Iwavers are overpiced as well because they are such poor quality. They'd have to be close to Kyosho quality to be worth what they are charging. So, cheap is a relative term. I don't think any of the 1/28 R/C cars currently on the market are "cheap", given what we are getting for our money.

But then again, most everybody is paying the price so I guess they'll charge whatever the market will bear. I for one have opted out, no new readysets or even autoscales for me, I've had enough of being robbed.

David

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.20, 12:56 AM
well... any company can muff up a product... the MR-01 suffered from lack of quality for a couple years... wires falling off, stripped screws, and glitchy servos... everyone put up with that but when Iwaver released exactly that people didn't think it was even worth the small price tag... so, yes, I do like to learn from my own mistakes. I don't trust other's opinions I suppose. There will always be the lovers, the haters, and the person who gets a broken unit... I don't think that the first 50 people we hear from are a well mixed group.

Hypocrisy
2005.10.20, 05:03 AM
looking forward to read your reviews on the r02 :)

arch2b
2005.10.20, 06:11 AM
you have to remember though... when the mr-01 was out the only competitors were clones of lesser quality who got the same bad rap. it's all a matter of scale. as kyosho increased the quality of thier cars, so to did the one below. so the argument is half right and half wrong depending on how you present it really. like nay statistic, it can be skewed to show anything....

i too prefer to learn from others. i may not listen in the end or decide to take the leap of faith anyway but atleast it's an informed decision. better to be smart about it than blind :p

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.20, 09:33 AM
well put arch... I guess that when it comes to this hobby, for me, I don't mind being a bit of an over-spender because it is my main hobby. After a long, hard day I just want to do some laps, have a few races and relax.

davkin
2005.10.21, 08:05 PM
. After a long, hard day I just want to do some laps, have a few races and relax.

Hard to relax though when your car is constantly glitching and breaking on you. :D

I'll give ya this much, there is still too little data on the new IW02 to be certain of how good it really is, but I'm not going to throw any money at one until I see a significant proponderance of reviews leaning towards the positive. While I'd say for now R/C isn't my main hobby it's still a big part of what I am and do, but I don't care to throw money down the toilet just because it's for a hobby, in fact $$$$ are limited, I want to do what I can to ensure I get the most I can for mine. I'm not going to collect crappy R/C cars just to experiment.

David

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.21, 10:16 PM
agreed David.

The more I think about it the more I am interested in the new AWD Mini-z and not the new Iwaver...

yamar6
2005.10.23, 10:47 PM
not to change the subject but i just bought the new xmod evo mustang.at looking at the pics of the awd z i think the xmod setup is way better.im not saying it's built better cause i know that the z is going to be better built.im just saying that the battery location & motor location is better.im just sick of the cheap companies coming out with awd trucks awd drive cars and kyosho just comes out with one after xmod been out for years and super slicks comes out with there new awd truck.one other thing if the new awd z is going to be 180.00 dollars i will stick with my xmod evo and stick a iwaver board in it.

arch2b
2005.10.24, 06:25 AM
....so whines the little boy with his xmod as mini-z's zip past and continue going, and going, and going.... :p

i agree somewhat about the chassis layout but this is how most 1:18's are done so we will have to wait and see how it translates to 1:28.

where are you getting your figures? $168 shipped likely from the shop. atleast that's a guestimate for $8 on shipping. the only place that has the rtr's listed for $180 are places you shouldn't buy from anyway. why pay $20 more for something that can be had well, $20 cheaper.

i know atleast one person who races on my track will get the new iwaver, if i don't. we already have atleast 2 evo's and i'm sure more are coming and i know i won't be the only one with the awd mini-z so it will be easy to guage how they all perform in a racing atmosphere. it's just a waiting game really.

lets also not forget that at the moment xmods are having their fair share of quality parts complaints, read the xmods boards...

yamar6
2005.10.24, 05:33 PM
i bought my evo and i have no broken rear a arms .the thing is 90 % are driving them like there revo's. and yes the evo still has a better set up. you put a iwaver board in it you have a great car for 115.00 dollars 59.99 for the evo 39.99 for the firelap (iwaver) plus 10 car radio and 15.00 for shipping or cheaper if ******* is nice.the problem is that the cheap companies are coming out with some good stuff.they should take there time and make great stuff.the evo is not a bad car for a radio shack it's solid it sticks to the ground & with a little work can run with the z's

byebye
2005.10.24, 05:48 PM
If I wanted to go fast I could always run my MR-02..........

-Byebye

HaCo
2005.10.25, 01:21 PM
A dude on www.bit-racer.de put an MicroSnap 2.2 motor in the servo and told it resolved the slow servo problem, so that's good news... :) He also told that it was a bit too fast now and a MicroSnap 1.6 would od perfect too. He resolved something which I didn't understand completely on his servo saver too, so the IW would run straight...

My car will arrive next week, I'm REALLY looking forward to test it and hope the servo will do fine afther adding the mod...

:cool: HaCo :cool:

PS.: http://www.micro-fun-cars.de/html/ausgabe.php?warengr=MicroTuning&Navi=1 ==> The motors

Bones696
2005.11.30, 08:42 AM
A dude on www.bit-racer.de put an MicroSnap 2.2 motor in the servo and told it resolved the slow servo problem, so that's good news... :) He also told that it was a bit too fast now and a MicroSnap 1.6 would od perfect too. He resolved something which I didn't understand completely on his servo saver too, so the IW would run straight...

My car will arrive next week, I'm REALLY looking forward to test it and hope the servo will do fine afther adding the mod...

:cool: HaCo :cool:

PS.: http://www.micro-fun-cars.de/html/ausgabe.php?warengr=MicroTuning&Navi=1 ==> The motors

Any chance anyone could post a translation of what he did with the servo / servo saver?

herman
2005.11.30, 11:08 PM
any more updated reviews?

battletanker
2005.12.01, 09:41 AM
Hi all!

Here´s the direct Link to the nearly complete and free-of-prejudice Review of the new IWaver which HaCo mentioned above: http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=102177093382 it´s in german but should be no problem for a translation machine.

What they did with the servo is simply replacing the servomotor with a microsnap 2.2 (1.6 also OK) motor -> the steering/car runs really perfectly afterwards! On the servosaver they just did a bit "improvement" (sorry don´t know the correct english word) by hand on all things that were "overstanding" and/or "not exactly fitting". That´s all - took about 15 Min. and they had a very good car. No doubt, absolutely competitive with the big K.

Sorry for my words/bad english - still working on it.

Cheers
battletanker