PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from OLD gallery to NEW gallery

arch2b
2005.09.24, 01:52 PM
ok, after much searching and hope, there is no easy way to migrate....

All members with galleries in the EXISTING/OLD gallery site (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/) please login to the NEW gallery site (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/). the new site uses your forum login and password.

i need you to do a few things for me.....
1. upload one (1) image. it can be anything, it's just to hold the gallery open.
2. post here listing your forum name showing me that you have done this, preferably with a link to the new gallery. this is so i can go in and move your images from the old to the new for you.
3. if your really nice you can re-create all the subcategories (what were nested albums) withing your new gallery just to make it easier for me. you might have to have atleast one (1) image in each category for it so show up or be visible?. i don't expect anyone or everyone to do this but it would speed the move over up alot. :p

saiyan
2005.09.24, 02:34 PM
Okay arch2b i posted some pics in the new gallery section, but did not see where to create folders?

arch2b
2005.09.24, 02:39 PM
the new site no longer uses the same structure which can be very confusing, trust me :rolleyes: instead of a folder tree type structure it uses categories, etc.

btw, i am downloading the old gallery so if you if you add anything to the old gallery after today it will not make the move.....

saiyan
2005.09.24, 02:51 PM
That's kewl, i'll wait to upload any new pics until later. :cool:

Wedginator
2005.09.25, 09:02 AM
ok arch, the link to my album is http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=179

i think...

arch2b
2005.09.25, 12:01 PM
ok, to amke it more confusing.... it looks like members will have to recreate thier sub albums in their new member galleries on the new site. i can not find a way to add new albums within member galleries :(

you can add new albums within your member gallery within the 'album admin' menu. to the top left you will see 'add album'

TNB
2005.09.25, 01:22 PM
I created what appears to be the "main" album or Gallery as in the old:
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2468

Within the new gallery, I've created the same albums I originally had set up in the old gallery shown in the signature below.

However, it appears that I am unable to create "nested" albums within those albums. For example, when I clicked on the RCP Track album in the new gallery and attempted to create a nested album, it took me right back to the "regular" Album screen. Does this also mean there will be no more albums within albums?

arch2b
2005.09.25, 01:34 PM
i'm looking for that option.....

the file structure is very different on the new gallery.

Wedginator
2005.09.25, 03:54 PM
will the stuff in the old gallery be deleted? if so when?

arch2b
2005.09.25, 04:57 PM
it appears users can not create sub/sub or nested albums. :(

the OLD gallery will remain for an indefinate period of time. as of now, i do not know of any plans to delete the OLD gallery.

that being said, all new member albums are being done on the NEW gallery so it's only a matter of time before the OLD gallery simply gets transitioned out due to membership turnover, etc.

i will do my best to move all the old and un-used galleries from the OLD gallery to the NEW gallery however that will be on convience time frame. i don't want to loose any of the member galleries wheither or not the member is currently active or not.

it also appears the best way to migrate really is for the member to re create thier galleries :eek: i know this sucks, especially for those of us who have very extensive galleries but it's the best way to ensure it's done to your liking. i tried uploading one and it just dumps everything into the gallery which then has to be moved into sub albums etc.

EMU
2005.09.26, 02:10 PM
I have created a new gallery: http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=4944&cat=500

Thanks Arch ;)

bolter9
2005.09.26, 04:49 PM
Arch-

I'd like to re-build my album since I didn't know about nested albums when I set it up. Basically I have a bunch of photos in the main album that I'd like to re-organize into nested albums- however, the only delete option I can find is for nested albums only- and that's for the full album, not individual pics.

Is it possible for you to delete my entire album so I can start over? (or show me where I can delete individual photos...)

Thanks.

Ken Mifune
2005.09.26, 05:33 PM
...i tried uploading one and it just dumps everything into the gallery which then has to be moved into sub albums etc.That's cool with me. Give it the full dump. I'll organize it into sub albums. Get to it when you can. Thanks in advance Arch.

bolter9
2005.09.26, 05:41 PM
That's cool with me. Give it the full dump. I'll organize it into sub albums. Get to it when you can. Thanks in advance Arch.

Ok, maybe I'm just missing out on how to move pictures from the main gallery into sub galleries....

arch2b
2005.09.26, 06:42 PM
Arch-

I'd like to re-build my album since I didn't know about nested albums when I set it up. Basically I have a bunch of photos in the main album that I'd like to re-organize into nested albums- however, the only delete option I can find is for nested albums only- and that's for the full album, not individual pics.

Is it possible for you to delete my entire album so I can start over? (or show me where I can delete individual photos...)

Thanks.
click on the image, click on edit photo and you will see an option for delete photo.... take that back... i don't think you can but i can so i'll just dump as in delete everything in there for you

bolter9
2005.09.26, 06:49 PM
click on the image, click on edit photo and you will see an option for delete photo.... take that back... i don't think you can but i can so i'll just dump everything in there for you

Yeah I can't find that option anywhere- browser search won't pull it up either.

Go ahead and delete at your convenience and I'll get a new gallery going when I get some free time.

Thanks man.

TNB
2005.09.27, 11:59 PM
it appears users can not create sub/sub or nested albums. :(

the OLD gallery will remain for an indefinate period of time. as of now, i do not know of any plans to delete the OLD gallery.
That's good since I probably won't get around to it for at least a month or so since many of those photos are no longer on my hard drive due to the big crash of 2005. :mad:

arch2b
2005.09.28, 05:16 AM
That's good since I probably won't get around to it for at least a month or so since many of those photos are no longer on my hard drive due to the big crash of 2005. :mad:
that sucks, take your time. :) it will be awhile before i get mine moved over as it's on the bottom of the list :rolleyes:

i will be trying another bulk move to member albums to verify that once there you can physically move images to sub albums. if that's the case i can make bulk moves and allow members to sort/bulk move/sort/bulk move, etc, etc.

saiyan
2005.09.30, 01:15 AM
Hey arch2b, i figuered out how to create an album with in my gallery. The problem is that i could not figuer out how to move pics that i had already uploaded. So i re-uploaded the pics into my folders, but now i can't seem to find a way to delete the pics that are not in an album. If you could tell me how or if you could delete them for me that would be cool.

arch2b
2005.09.30, 05:25 AM
i plan on making another day of it on sunday..... :( i know it's our god given day off but it's work to be done and little if any time during the week :rolleyes:

i'll try to delete them for you.

byebye
2005.09.30, 06:41 AM
i plan on making another day of it on sunday..... :( i know it's our god given day off but it's work to be done and little if any time during the week :rolleyes:

i'll try to delete them for you.

I'm right there with you buddy :o ;) :D

saiyan
2005.09.30, 01:22 PM
Okay, i've descided that i don't care much for the new gallery set up :( . I've decreased my picture sizes by 40% and even though it sais i have 72KB left, it won't upload 5 pics that are less then 15KB total. And no delete feature also sucks. And not being able to download more then 5 at time makes it take longer too. The available KBs is gonna suck too, atleast i deleted alot of the pics of cars that i don't have anymore, so that opened up some space in the old gallery. Maybe once the photos that are not in a folder get deleted it will open up more space, but for now i can't help you out by re-uploading pics to the new gallery.

Is it that maybe i need to delete the old gallery befor i can upload new pics? Notice that i said that "i need to delete" in that i can do it myself in the old gallery. ;) :D

arch2b
2005.09.30, 06:57 PM
there were some quota issues i think when we created 3 copies of the gallery for backup purposes and migrating purposes. that should have been resolved however.

as an admin, i have no quota so i can mass upload for you and let you move them and create sub albums. funny enough admins can not do much with member galleries other than deleting things.

while the new gallery is proving to be a biut of a chore to master, teh features make it worth while. it's integrated with the forums so no more creating users/passwords, lots of neat email features as well as ecards which is something i plan on exploiting more later ;)

we are still learning here, so please bear with me as we learn together :p i would like to thank you for trying though as feedback helps.

saiyan
2005.09.30, 07:51 PM
Okay well i deleted what i could of my gallery. There are a few empty folders left where it did not give me the option to delete them, though it did let me delete a few of the older ones. For now i put a link in my signature to our local club sight and hopefully members can go there for my pics until the new gallery is up. I have 1 folder with pics and i did create 2 or 3 more, but it won't let me upload to them. Once it's ready to, i'll upload pics again and update my link. Thanks for all of your effort in this though, i appreciate it. It sounds like i should be able to do alot more with the new gallery, eventually. :rolleyes:

Be sure to find out about a delete feature, hopefully they can add that in without much trouble.

arch2b
2005.10.02, 11:47 AM
i ment deleting what you had uploaded to your new gallery. i can't bulk move from an empty gallery :( what i was hopoeing was that you could clear the images floating in teh main section of your member album to leave room for me to dump an entire album from your old gallery. then you could movew that stuff into a subalbum and repeat until your old gallery was empty.
now you are going to have to upload all the images back into your new ablum yourself and 5 at a time. i take blame in this as i could have been much clearer about what to do.

to everyone else....
start a member gallery on the new site, let me know and i will bulk move one album at a time from the old gallery to the new gallery for you to reposition and then repeat until were done.

HammerZ
2005.10.08, 02:22 PM
There are a bunch of pictures in my album that I have not put there. It takes up too much of my space and I can't upload any more pictures.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=522&page=2&perpage=12&what=allfields&=&action=

Starting here with the yellow Altezza on.

arch2b
2005.10.08, 04:00 PM
are they not from your old gallery?

i am trying set permissions for you to delete images from your own gallery

HammerZ
2005.10.08, 04:53 PM
I don't think I ever had an old gallery. Thanks, I wanted to ask before I dumped them if they went someplace else.

fast4buy
2005.10.19, 01:15 PM
Hi Arch,
Ive finally woken up and started my new Gallery:

fast4buy New Gallery (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4727) with one photo in it

Ive also created equivalent albums to those in my old gallery

Could you please transfer the old images over?
Many thanx

saiyan
2005.12.22, 11:49 PM
Hey Arch2b, all though i can delete folders i can't delete the pics of the orange VW that i painted out of the main section :o . I've allready got all the fotos in a subfolder and it won't let me upload any more pics :( . It keeps saying they are too big, yet 1 was as small as a drivers liscence photo. Any help here would be much appreciated. :D

Twenty-Se7en
2006.01.11, 08:11 PM
I added some temporary files so the album isn't empty... hope to have some better and organized pics

Sasquatch
2006.02.10, 07:03 PM
I didn't notice I was uploading photos to just my main page, instead of into my appropriate folder. How can I move the photos into one of my folders? I've seen that I can move it to other areas of the gallery, but not my personal folders without deleting and re-uploading. Is it possible for you to move them? All of the photos on the main page that aren't in a folder, should be in my "Nanospeed Track Days" folder.

arch2b
2006.07.28, 11:47 AM
Due to enormous amount of work and general lack of time, we have decided to do this the default way.

I have the entire gallery on dvd(s).

step one
-find the album number and/or names for the gallery/nested galleries in you member gallery. you can do this by trying to rename the gallery. it will prompt you with the current number/name.

step two
-post a list here of the gallery name/numbers you want to keep and or move to the new gallery. I will mail you a cd/dvd with the requested gallery/galleries.

step three
-upload to new gallery website. this no longer requires you to otain a password from us. you simply login using your same login/passowrd. the structure is a bit different so it may take some getting used to.

tips
-most of the images should be rather small in file size. zip as many as you can fit into under 2mb files. upload the zip files one at a time. change the number of images to process to a high number. this moves much faster than simply doing it 5 images at a time.

please ONLY post here with either questions regading this process or requests to make this thread easier to follow from this point

arch2b
2006.08.19, 03:04 PM
wow, not one request..... is no one interested in moving all thier images to the new gallery? i am still doing so myself. i think i've moved about half a dozen so far.