PDA

View Full Version : Iwaver Corvette C5R

700club
2005.09.29, 09:02 PM
i purchased this iwaver chassis set about a month ago off the bay for $25 plus the ride. out of the box the car had a nasty steering twitch and the steering servo would not re-center. after doing a search here on the forum i found the cure for the twitch, the paper shim trick. getting the steering servo to re-center proved to be a little more difficult. i disassembled each piece of the front suspension until i found the culprit. in my case it turned out to be the front springs. the front springs either have to much tension or the steering servo is just plain weak. in any case i ditched the front springs all together and do not run any front spring with no adverse effect on handling. i did however install the largest front suspension limiter so there may be approx. 1/16 travel. keep in mind i do not race on a track, only outdoors or on my 10x15 kitchen floor. i would like to thank everyone on the forum for there help and kindness. i could not have done it without you guys. :)

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8954/wheels0065rt.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5885/wheels0070yk.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9817/wheels0118on.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2782/wheels0141ij.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7250/lights0042ho.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1494/lights0033kv.jpg

MiniZMaster
2005.09.29, 09:48 PM
looks sweet is it?

leonen
2005.09.29, 11:38 PM
i purchased this iwaver chassis set about a month ago off the bay for $25 plus the ride. out of the box the car had a nasty steering twitch and the steering servo would not re-center. after doing a search here on the forum i found the cure for the twitch, the paper shim trick. getting the steering servo to re-center proved to be a little more difficult. i disassembled each piece of the front suspension until i found the culprit. in my case it turned out to be the front springs. the front springs either have to much tension or the steering servo is just plain weak. in any case i ditched the front springs all together and do not run any front spring with no adverse effect on handling. i did however install the largest front suspension limiter so there may be approx. 1/16 travel. keep in mind i do not race on a track, only outdoors or on my 10x15 kitchen floor. i would like to thank everyone on the forum for there help and kindness. i could not have done it without you guys. :)

Nice buy..... but it isn't a complete iWaver..... iwaver never made that body. So you got your self an autoscale body.

It's a nice car. Congrats!

700club
2005.09.30, 12:42 AM
Nice buy..... but it isn't a complete iWaver..... iwaver never made that body. So you got your self an autoscale body.

It's a nice car. Congrats!
you are correct. i bought the miniz mr01 c5r a couple months ago but started having handling problems. then a friend let me use his mr02 and i was sold. so i decided to give the iwaver mr02 chassis a try and the rest is history. btw i did correct the mr01 handling problems, again with the help of the forum, and now i have 2 great cars. :)

herman
2005.09.30, 04:30 AM
glad to hear you sorted everything out... cool looking car...
time to enjoy some racing... :D

blakmoose1234
2005.09.30, 08:49 AM
so after your efforts, does this car run smooth? did you consider using dog's adjustable fix? btw, those are nice lights, but the body has too much decals and not enough vinyl streaks.

700club
2005.09.30, 04:25 PM
so after your efforts, does this car run smooth? did you consider using dog's adjustable fix? btw, those are nice lights, but the body has too much decals and not enough vinyl streaks.

yes, the car runs smooth.

if you are referring to the screw technique i do not believe in my case it would have worked. the screw applies pressure to the top of the pot, in my case i needed pressure applied to the front of the pot. applying pressure to the front of the pot was the only location that completely eliminated the twitch. one more thing, paper did not work in my case. i used a piece of plastic for my shim instead.

DogbreathRacing
2005.10.01, 10:43 AM
if you are referring to the screw technique i do not believe in my case it would have worked. the screw applies pressure to the top of the pot, in my case i needed pressure applied to the front of the pot. applying pressure to the front of the pot was the only location that completely eliminated the twitch

My screw fix was designed for the exact car you now have, I had three of the IW02's and several 01's, all of which had some amount of steering twitch. I changed pots, I added paper shims, I cussed and threw things, then I figured out how to fix it for good. The screw fix works by applying pressure to the top of the pot and has the exact same effect as placing shims in front of the pot, each adds a slight resistance to the pot keeping it from stuttering side to side. The best thing about the screw fix is it's simple, you don't have to take the car apart to install it, and it is completely adjustable. You can add a little pressure or more as needed....no taking the servo case apart, add a shim, put it together and see if it works...No?....repeat....with the screw fix, give a little twist and you can instantly see the results. :)

HaCo
2005.10.01, 01:50 PM
They'd better make a Corvette C6R

700club
2005.10.01, 04:44 PM
They'd better make a Corvette C6R
i agree. :)

williams F1#3
2005.10.01, 04:45 PM
Does anyone know if the c5r will fit on the 02(kyosho)?

byebye
2005.10.01, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know if the c5r will fit on the 02(kyosho)?

Yes it will fit on the RM setup. The front wheels of the C5R don't fit as well under the wheels wells as a set of enxo wheels. They stick out a little more because the mr-02 is wider in the front than the mr-01

-Byebye

davkin
2005.10.02, 12:47 PM
I modded a Corvette to fit on an MR02-MM using the shortest wheelbase. I just "relocated" the rear wheelwells back 1/4" but enlarging them at the back and then filling in the front of them with sheet styrene, pic attached.

David