PDA

View Full Version : XMODS Evolution Car and Truck

arch2b
2005.10.08, 12:20 PM
well, since i prefer to speak from experience rather than assumption, most of the time anyway :p i went on a small shopping trip today and bought the xmods evolution evo car and h2 truck rtr kits. i also picked up the awd kits for each and the offroad upgrade for the truck. these are the only essentials to me anyway.

i'll be posting all my thoughts as soon as i get to open them :rolleyes:

HammerZ
2005.10.08, 12:33 PM
I'd like to know if the AWD would slow it down much? I feel you would really need the bearing sets for the AWD to work well. I look forward to your review.

arch2b
2005.10.08, 12:41 PM
i'm not about to sink anymore money in these than i already have.

the awd kits are a must or why else buy an xmod :confused: the truck NEEDS the offroad kit unless you want a truck at a car ride height

i'm not expecting much, thank the previous generation for that. so it will be interesting.

the new gallery will be here;
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=657&ppuser=

arch2b
2005.10.08, 12:48 PM
i don't know if you are supossed to get the buy 1 get the 2nd 1/2 off for the evo's... all the adverts were on the old ones but i asked and got the discount on my purchase!
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=2085&size=big&cat=657&page=1

HammerZ
2005.10.08, 12:50 PM
Another burning question, how long till the Tiny RC shop will have there own Xmods Evo bearings? This is about the only thing holding me back from getting one right now, well that and I am saving up for the MA 010 set.

I see that you made out like a bandit on that deal ;) .

arch2b
2005.10.08, 12:51 PM
that would be a good question to email mini-z about. i have not talked to him about xmods products, or i rarely do as i rarely use my xmods

arch2b
2005.10.08, 01:12 PM
truck
the stock suspension is not better than that of a racer. it will make a better ralley car than truck really. the suspension travel is VERY short. the only thing that saves the rear end is the fact that the rear drive train assembley rotates by just as small a fraction as the suspension travel which gives it just a tad more movement in total. i wonder if we can put the car bodies on the truck chassis :confused:
the offroad kit is a MUST. i'll see how much, if any improvement is made after installing that.
one of the other saving graces of the chassis is that the main portion is much higher than the drivetrain which is similar to the overland but it just seems higher...
the tires seem soft and sticky. no, they won't work on ovelrands. the sidewall is taller on teh outside than the inside, like the tamiya tires. the offroad kit tires are fractionally larger than the stock. i was hoping for swampers or some serious stuff, not 'mild' upgrade

car
the front suspension travel is about the same as the mini-z. the rear suspension is about twice that of the front end due to the front axel rotating just a smidge. when you see the picture you'll understand. the ride height is minimal.

overall
i really like the battery configuration. i hope it helps with cg as much we hope it does.

the dual accesory jacks on the chassis are a nice touch as well. nothing makes hop ups easier than being plug and play :p

notice the HOT warning on the chassis :eek: they now use a mini-z style motor attachement using screws rather than plugs. i can only assume they had to use the HOT wanring label because it generates alot of heat. i wonder how many empoloyee's got burned before they added that one :p

Roketmini
2005.10.08, 03:12 PM
Arch2b, i ordered my Xmod truck, and it arrived yesterday. I agree with most of your comments, but here are some of the things i have found with my truck:

1-It accelerates hard, and if you reverse then peg the throttle the nose will go up a little (full charge and on carpet)
2-Lego tires are a pain to mount, and the body doesnt fit without mods with the lego's on
3-Runtimes are about half as long as a gen 1 xmod
4-It rolls over very easily
5-The Xtruck gets stuck incredibly easily in loose dirt, or any other surfaces
6-The "hot" warning is in fact useful, but it is placed in the wrong location
7-The suspension on my car squeaks a little (after a number of crashes)
8-Jumping is terrible, the nose sticks in the ground and flips the truck
9-Hill climbing is decent, given that they are carpet or some other grippy surface
10-Overall its somwhat durable, but my car glitches like mad once i get 20 feet away from it.

HammerZ
2005.10.08, 03:14 PM
i'm not about to sink anymore money in these than i already have.

How many times have I said that, and what did I do? Spend even more than I wanted to. I dropped around $50 on GPM parts for my gen 1 Xmods not over a month ago, after saying about six months ago that I was not spending any more on it.

Boss302
2005.10.08, 09:03 PM
Arch, when you compress the frount suspension, the frount wheels toe in right?(Truck)

Ive also heard that when you reverse the wheels toe out.

Have you tried any "Hot" motors in the Evo? The fets can hold up to 9AMPS, according to atomic mods. Which is one of the 2 reasons im holding up on getting an IW-02.

I belive purchasing one of these will put down my hopes on getting a IW.

Have you installed AWD yet? Ive heard its a pain in the rear.

Can you give us clearence on the radio?Is it the same as the gen 1, does it have anymore steps then the gen 1 one?

Do you like the detail of the bodys?There is also a Blue F-150 out.Ill include a pic I found on the bay.Sadly I can;t link you to it, the Auction ended at $40, with Buy it now. :confused: It'll be $16 when it comes to your Local RS.

and WHAT THE FLOWERS HAPPEND TO MY TOPIC? :p

arch2b
2005.10.08, 09:51 PM
there is a ton of slop in the front wheels on the truck chassis. it's really bad in my opinion. i have a feeling the awd will fix that though.

i do not have hot motors to run in these.

there were over 20 screws in just the h2 body alone. from just glancing over the chassis's it appears they will be equally annoying to get into.

it's been raining for 2 days here so i don't think i'll get a chance to test the distance or range.

the tx is the same p.o.s. the gen.1 came with. i have not run the cars yet so i can not say yet what the propo is like in comparison to the gen.1

the bodies do seem to be better than the previous generations. i still prefer autoscales over xmods though. the evo body is very nice though. it's a hot looking car.

not sure what you mean about your topic... i started my own because i don't want to hijack other threads. the more reviews we get the better informed others will be :p

briankstan
2005.10.08, 10:38 PM
have you tried running it on you RCP Track? I'm more curious about the steering then anything else. Will we be able to manuver it around traffic on a track with other cars.

I'm hopful that it might be an option for those that can't afford the higher priced Mini-z. I would love to have the compititon of both in our races, with the Gen 1 I just couldn't see myself recommending it to anyone, after all I have 3 that I don't even use anymore.

I broke down an bought one today. they didn't have a store model so I talked to the salesman and he told me that if it didn't live up to my expectations to just bring it back in the next 30 days. I'll be breaking it out of the box later tonight and give it a run around my track.

arch2b
2005.10.08, 10:57 PM
look'n all over than damn house for 9v's :mad:

briankstan
2005.10.08, 11:15 PM

I still have a coule of new ones that I bought when I got my first Xmods. :) I'll let you know when I get it going. I didn't get the awd kit. they were out of them. I just figured I would test it bone stock first.

soyverde
2005.10.09, 12:01 AM
I am really looking forward to what you two have to say about these things, particularly anything pertaining to the "upgraded" propo steering, and their ability to make a clean lap around the old RCP...I would love to be able to recommend something to friends who can't quite stomach the price of a Kyosho.

briankstan
2005.10.09, 01:04 AM

go steal one from one of your smoke detectors (just for a little while) :D

briankstan
2005.10.09, 01:54 AM
Well I got the Xmod all put together and gave it a little test.

to my suprise it turns reall well, I would say as tight as a mini-z. I have attached a short video clip of the turning radius.

Xmod EVO Turning Radius (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/media/Xmod_evo_turning_radius.wmv)

I ran it a few times around the RCP Track and it does pretty good. I didn't have any problems making any of the turns. It still has a tendency to traction roll if you go into the corner to fast, much like the mr-01 did. I'm sure that can be solved by using a tire with a harder compound.

the real reason that I believe it traction rolls is because it is so much more narrower than the mr-02, just by comparison it's at least 3/8" narrower than my Mustang mr-02 chassis. (the Xmod EVO is also a 05 Mustang)

Just by the improvements that have been done I would say it would be worth recomending to a beginner with a really tight budget.

Will it compete with the mini-z on a track. NO. Would it be good for a beginner to become active in Mini R/C racing. YES.

I'll have to use it at one of our "For Fun Races" just to give it a chance, that is if I don't return it first.

If it would only come, or at least work with a desent transmitter. the one that comes with it is just a joke. no joking, I mean no kidding, No pun intended :eek:

Brian

byebye
2005.10.09, 06:17 AM
Nice review Brian. You've got turning video now lets see some track action!maybe some drifiting?

-Byebye

arch2b
2005.10.09, 11:46 AM
i'll try to work on some of that myself tonight ;)

briankstan
2005.10.09, 01:05 PM
Nice review Brian. You've got turning video now lets see some track action!maybe some drifiting?

-Byebye

I'll get something recorded later today.

I'll have to see what I can do about drifting. I have never tried it. Maybe I'll try your trick with the electrical tape on the tires.

Maybe I'll record me racing the xmod against a mini-z that my brother is driving. I usually beat him so well see what happens.

HammerZ
2005.10.09, 03:00 PM
I like the slimline look of the Xmods truck chassis, being low enough to allow a box in the F150. I was looking at maybe doing a body drop on my Kyosho version but the shock stays are up against the top surfaces as it is.

TeaQue
2005.10.09, 04:46 PM
I am really bummed after seeing Arch's pics :(

I really thought we could have a 4wd crawler on our hands.

byebye
2005.10.09, 05:39 PM

unfortunately its RS and is expected.

This is about all they're good for (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album477/Skyline_x_mod_vid_0001.wmv)

-Byebye

TeaQue
2005.10.09, 06:22 PM
Thats pretty cool :)

arch2b
2005.10.09, 06:34 PM

i too am sorry to say i don't think these will make any better a crawler, if worse than the overlands. this may change if suspension mods can be made

arch2b
2005.10.09, 07:26 PM
ok, just ran the evo and h2 for a set of batteries....

truck,
you thought the overlands were rollover prone :rolleyes: it's hard to get the truck around without tipping. the weight balance just isn't there.
the tire design sucks. the half sidewall on the inside allows it to pull off rgw tire after rather simple hits. again ti was hard to get around without having to reset a tire...

car,
wow, what an improvement! still noisey, same crappy tx, slightly better range i think. hard to get reverse at the far end of the track. the speed is much better at the low end which is were the gen 1 suffered badly. smoother throttle feel as well but same sterring feel as the gen 1, little or nothing kind of feel to it.
the gears are NOISY. hit reverse and it sounds like your shredding teeth in the diff.
so far i would highly reccomend the evo for beginners or replacements for the gen 1 but not the truck:( pitty, i had more hopes for the truck

HammerZ
2005.10.09, 07:35 PM
On the cars on the RS shopsite it mentions the old bodies can fit the new chassis but not the new bodies on the old chassis. Do you have pictures of the body mounts (rear)?

arch2b
2005.10.09, 08:01 PM
the kit includes a body mount for the body with 2 settings for the old bodies. the evo clip only has one setting. pictures coming

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=657

briankstan
2005.10.09, 08:16 PM
car,
wow, what an improvement! still noisey, same crappy tx, slightly better range i think. hard to get reverse at the far end of the track. the speed is much better at the low end which is were the gen 1 suffered badly. smoother throttle feel as well but same sterring feel as the gen 1, little or nothing kind of feel to it.
the gears are NOISY. hit reverse and it sounds like your shredding teeth in the diff.
so far i would highly reccomend the evo for beginners or replacements for the gen 1 but not the truck:( pitty, i had more hopes for the truck

I noticed that the car really drove pretty will, I fell that if it were to have a better transmitter it would be alot better. I noticed that the car would glitch or stall when around the mini-z controller, it was better as long as I was right there next to the other controller. I started on the oppisite end of the track and it just didn't have the power over that range, about 18-20ft. The Stock Z transmitter isn't all that, but compared to the Xmod transmitter, it sure feel like the top of the line.

As far as the car itself goes. I think it's a great improvement over the gen 1 car. it turns alot better, has more of a smooth throttle like arch2b points out. the car still has a tendency to traction roll. it is about 1/4" x 3/8" narrower than my Mclaren, that is one of the narrowest MR-02's.

I raced my brother driving the mini-z and the xmod the best lap time I was able to get was 5.73 and when I drive my mini-z on the same track I can usually run a fastest lap of 4.98. this was on a RCP track and timed using the Core timing system. we ran 6 different races of 25 laps and in everyone I finished 3 to 5 laps down, and never managed a better fastest lap that the Z. I would typically win by 1 or 2 laps if we were both driving Z's

I have some video I will be posting of those races as soon as I get them edited.

Brian.

briankstan
2005.10.09, 08:22 PM
Arch2b,

Did you install the AWD Kit? Did is seem to make any difference. I felt that the car itself ran fine with just the stock setup.

I guess I should have run the test races with a stock Mini-z vs. a Stock Xmod EVO, the only problem is I don't have a completely stock Z, I have one with just bearings but I didn't want to take them out just for this.

the Z that we ran had a stock motor, bearings, a alloy motor mount, 8 tooth pinion, alloy wheels, soft H-plate, 1 degree toe in, 1 degree alloy front knuckles, medium front springs, GPM 8's front and rear.

I did keep loosing the front tires, but I solved that with some PN double stick tire tape.

Boss302
2005.10.09, 08:29 PM
Arch2B, your complaint of Noise seems weird, everybody That Ive talked to clamed there Evo Was Quiet!, maybe you installed somthing wrong. Or maybe your Z's are so Quiet the Xmod seems noisy.

arch2b
2005.10.09, 08:35 PM
the only thing i did to the lancer was put in batteries...... maybe it is just that my z's are much quiter :rolleyes: reversing still sounds horrible though

the lancer really is a huge improvement over the gen1 though. i would not feel guilty reccomending the evolution lancer to anyone looking for a cheap car for thrills.

still not sold on the truck...

i have video comign shortly....

HammerZ
2005.10.09, 08:35 PM
One of the Xmods tricks I have seen done was to remove all the screws from the body, glue on the skirts and bumper pieces. And sometimes cut away the extra plastic inside the body. All this to lower the CG for racing. You remove all the screws in the body it comes to quite a bit of weight. My Camaro Zmods, Xmods body on an MR02 chassis really likes to push in corners bad. Of course doing this will fix it to where you can't change the "kit" around, that is a big part of Xmods. With this in mind I can see some making these into real track burners.

arch2b
2005.10.09, 08:37 PM
ok, lighting is a bit dark but best i could do at night....

lancer runs (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/xmods_evolution_lancer.wmv)

h2 tire coming off way to easily (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/xmods_evolution_h2_loosing_tire.wmv)

h2 runs (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/xmods_evolution_h2.wmv)

arch2b
2005.10.09, 08:41 PM
One of the Xmods tricks I have seen done was to remove all the screws from the body, glue on the skirts and bumper pieces. And sometimes cut away the extra plastic inside the body. All this to lower the CG for racing. You remove all the screws in the body it comes to quite a bit of weight. My Camaro Zmods, Xmods body on an MR02 chassis really likes to push in corners bad. Of course doing this will fix it to where you can't change the "kit" around, that is a big part of Xmods. With this in mind I can see some making these into real track burners.
teh h2 has about 20 screw in it :eek: boy was that a pain....

the lancer only had about 10

HammerZ
2005.10.09, 08:51 PM
That may explain the H2 flipping in the video. I remember seeing that trick over on XmodsRC in the homemade tricks section. I assume that count is the body alone.

Come to think of it my Kyosho H1 has 6 screws in it, well it did till I worked over the roof and cut away the inside section and glued on the top lid. Now is is only the two that hold the frontend on. I did that to make it more stable over uneven ground.

arch2b
2005.10.09, 08:53 PM
yes, just the body accessories and body clip.....

arch2b
2005.10.09, 09:26 PM
ok, got some track video up (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/xmods_evolution_track_runs.wmv)...
listen and you will hear loud clicking occasionally...

briankstan
2005.10.09, 10:46 PM
here is my little video of a Mini-Z racing a Xmod EVO

Mini-z vs Xmod EVO (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/media/Mini-Z_vs_Xmod_EVO.wmv) (the Xmod is the dark blue 06 Mustang)

even with the batteries dying in the mini-z he was still able to beat me by a couple of laps.

The Xmod EVO is clearly better then the gen 1, but still not as good as the Mini-Z. IMHO

I will however recommend it to those that can't afford the Mini-z.

Brian

byebye
2005.10.10, 03:27 AM
Well I was really hoping the sound would have dampened with better meshing. Now I'm worried that the mini-z will be loud as well. My question though is can you drift it? I don't see why you couldn't drift them out of the ox with a little electrical tape on the tires. I see that as the only thing fun about them.

Another thing to remember is the xmod tire compound is very sticky, even on the hard tires I would traction role on the RCP. Hard to believe it still rolls with the lowered cg. It could be the body?

-Byebye

Boss302
2005.10.10, 08:59 AM
Arch2b , no I see It must be your Car, not you. My GEN 1 doesen't make that much noise. :rolleyes: If I were you I would check those bushings.........

The Truck does roll easily, and that concerns me. Seeing as If I got the truck, I would use it for jumping........

My Buddys Evo Just died on him , not a good sign.

Ive done that mod to my RSX, hammer, it lighted up the body so much you can't tell the difference, between not having it on and having it on.

OMG theres a few IW-02's on the bay for $66 and FREE Shipping.omg omg omg.....

arch2b
2005.10.10, 11:16 AM
i swear all i did was put on the wheels, batteries and body... maybe i got a bad one?

i'll install the awd today in both the lancer and h2 now that i've run them both enough to get a feel for them stock.

i can already say the truck will get little use unless the awd and offroad kit don't improve it. as of now, it's too top heavy and the lack of ground clearance means it's not going anywhere outdoors. the tire situation sucks as well. i may just put car wheels with tracker tires or something. the stock ones peel off with the slightest hit :mad:

Roketmini
2005.10.10, 12:04 PM
One thing i have found with my F-150 is that instead of the tires coming off, they simply wear very quickly. And Arch2b, you failed to test the H2 as a rally-cross vehicle. Find some relativley hard, smooth dirt and throw some roost. My car doesnt mind it, and it can handle some bumps. Im more worried about traction instead od ground clearance with my car. And compared to a Gen 1, the evo is Silenced.

arch2b
2005.10.10, 12:16 PM
your right, i never took it outside. never claimed to have... hard smooth dirt is not easy to find after 3 days of rain though. yes, bumps should not present the truck any problems but it will not work at all likely for those that hoped it would be the ulitmate crawler. i'm sure mods will be made to fix that though

it's clear then, i got a flawed unit as my lancer is NOISY. about as noisy as the gen 1's.

yes, teh stock xmods tires are very soft. wish the same was true for mini-z's.

bda52
2005.10.10, 01:05 PM
Do the Gen 2's use the same wheels as the Gen 1? (will I have to buy new wheels and tires to drift with the Gen 2)

arch2b
2005.10.10, 01:14 PM
it appears they do. the lancer kit has wheels spcifically for the front and rear however. they included little spacers which might or might not have to be used with older wheels

bda52
2005.10.10, 04:25 PM
Well I just went out and got the '06 Mustang. After seeing the videos of the turning radius and other couple of videos posted I figured I would pick up the AWD and bearings kits.

I did not test out the car stock, since with Xmods, you have to put so much together before you run it. I went ahead and installed the AWD and bearings. Finally got it all together and powered it up. All still seemed well. Steering very very impressive compared to the Gen 1, until it just stopped steering. I am really hoping it is just a defect in this one. The steering returns intermittently but goes away again.

As far as niose goes, mine was quieter than Gen 1.

I hope the replacement works properly. Out of the 3 Xmods I have purchased (all new) this is the second that has had a problem. The second Gen 1 I got was DOA.

arch2b
2005.10.10, 04:50 PM
i just finished installing the awd and offroad kit on teh h2 :rolleyes: to say that was a pain is an understatement. initial thoughts.... looks to be a ig improvement. i'll see how it actually performs before commenting further.

doesn't look like i will get to the lancer awd... took too long for the h2.

TeaQue
2005.10.10, 05:04 PM
i just finished installing the awd and offroad kit on teh h2 :rolleyes: to say that was a pain is an understatement. initial thoughts.... looks to be a ig improvement. i'll see how it actually performs before commenting further.

Can't wait to see the pics when you get a chance! :p

If I end up getting an EVO I will do everything I have can to fit some swampers (or whatever I can get get) on there. Even if it means chopping away at the body.

Besides, body damage is more realistic :D

HammerZ
2005.10.10, 05:07 PM
One of the most annoying things with my gen 1 Xmods was the cup shaft that fits into the rear diff. On the inside where the D is cut the shaft is rounded off on that inside end, that rounded off part caused it to pop out of the diff under power. You can always tell when it pops out as it made a grinding noise worse than nails on a blackboard.

I am interested in the AWD performance of these Evos.

arch2b
2005.10.10, 07:03 PM
more disappointments from the h2 :( the wheel slop is the same if not worse after the awd and offroad kit.

see for yourself
quick video (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/xmods_h2_wheel_slop.wmv)

another.... (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/more_xmods_wheel_slop.wmv)

arch2b
2005.10.10, 07:05 PM
good news.... the offroad kit does increase the axel clearance (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/657/medium/IMG_2158.JPG) nicely.

TeaQue
2005.10.10, 07:11 PM
good news.... the offroad kit does increase the axel clearance (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/657/medium/IMG_2158.JPG) nicely.
Well that + oversized OL tires will help a lot for crawling :)

Theres gotta be something we can do about this wheel slop....maybe some shims and bearings will do the trick like they did on Gen 1 xmods...

TeaQue
2005.10.10, 07:14 PM
I know I'm asking for a lot here but....is there any way you can post a pic of the lifted chassis next to a stock OL chassis?

I'm just curious as to how much more clearance a stock OL still has...

Edit: Looks like they're already in the gallery! :rolleyes:

TeaQue
2005.10.10, 07:40 PM
After watching that video on wheel slop, I retract my previous statement....I don't see shims or bearings doing anything. I wonder what we CAN do to fix that...

davkin
2005.10.10, 07:43 PM
the wheel slop is the same if not worse after the awd and offroad kit.

LOL! Man, everything is going to hell. I can't believe they'd put such a POS out on the market. I suppose it's partly our fault if we buy the crap and actually keep it. Seriously Arch, take that thing back and strike a blow for the consumer. We need to start demanding at least minimal quality in our mini R/C's or it's just gonna get worse.

David

arch2b
2005.10.10, 08:07 PM
i have more images going up now.... even a video of how wide the turning raduis now is on the h2.

i know it's a waste of money at this point but consider it a public service. i like to see it as i'm saving you guys a bunch of money

alloy parts may, may, take some of the slop out of the steering.

it's a shame really because most if not all of use had better hopes or interest in the truck than the car...atleast us offroad enthusiasts.

it looks like the only improvements had truely been made on the cars.

HammerZ
2005.10.10, 08:15 PM
With the cars it is a second generation, but with the truck is all new. With this in mind, I can understand the outcome. The car still look's promising. I am mainly focused on the AWD performance next to the rear wheel only.

arch2b
2005.10.10, 09:31 PM
see for yourself
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/xmods_h2_wheel_slop.wmv

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/more_xmods_wheel_slop.wmv

TeaQue
2005.10.10, 10:00 PM
see for yourself
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/xmods_h2_wheel_slop.wmv

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/more_xmods_wheel_slop.wmv
That is really sad :(

arch2b
2005.10.10, 11:20 PM
you know whats funny, i post just about identical stuff on the 'other' forum and they just assume i'm kyosho biased. :rolleyes: i would not have spent $141 if that was the case.

here is the video of the wheels toe out during forward movement.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/front_push_during_movement.wmv

btw, chuckyluv came over tonight and got a 1st hand look at the lancer and h2. he can vouch for my findings and he has triple the rc experience i have.

i do feel the steering is fixable maybe with alloy knuckles and do dads. there just has to be parts with higher levels of precision and tolerance.

the offroad kit is critical in my opinion to the viability of these being offroad trucks, way more important than the awd upgrade. afterall, whats the point in awd if the front end hangs up on pebbles.

EnTg888
2005.10.10, 11:38 PM
Wow, that's more slop than a Zipzaps SE :rolleyes:
This definitely puts a hole in my plans to buy one... it's not any better than the overland. I do agree, Radioshack needs to up their quality along with their price - its $10 more and we still have the same wheel slop, if not worse?
As it seems in the videos- is the slop in some way connected to the suspension? (the car goes down if the wheel is pushed back it seems)

arch2b
2005.10.10, 11:40 PM
the problems seem to be in the knuckles. the suspension is just soft and when the tires toe out when moving forward, it pushes the front end down.

HammerZ
2005.10.10, 11:42 PM
It look's like you are slamming on the brakes when it toes out. I would guess the AWD set would pull the front tires forward under power.

EnTg888
2005.10.11, 12:54 AM
Yeah, unsteady power, lol. But I guess logically the awd would reduce the toe-out but not eliminate the problem. (Just as I thought - like the old xmods, the knuckles are causing it)

arch2b
2005.10.11, 06:13 AM
It look's like you are slamming on the brakes when it toes out. I would guess the AWD set would pull the front tires forward under power.
no, the toe out is under accelleration. the friction is causing the truck to stop very quickly instead of coasting. i was not braking at all as you can tell, i hit the camera several times :rolleyes:

at this point the truck is pretty much undrivable in this condition unfortunately. you can still get it around the track but it's now slower and the turning radius has jumped way up.

bearings and knucnkles will be the key i guess. too bad i'm not spending anymore money on it... atleast no more plans to do so until after i get the ma-010, at which point i'll likely forget about the h2.

byebye
2005.10.11, 08:35 AM
no, the toe out is under accelleration. the friction is causing the truck to stop very quickly instead of coasting. i was not braking at all as you can tell, i hit the camera several times :rolleyes:

at this point the truck is pretty much undrivable in this condition unfortunately. you can still get it around the track but it's now slower and the turning radius has jumped way up.

bearings and knucnkles will be the key i guess. too bad i'm not spending anymore money on it... atleast no more plans to do so until after i get the ma-010, at which point i'll likely forget about the h2.

That's really too bad. Thanks for the review and I'm sure this will help alot of people make thier decision on this purchase.

-Byebye

imxlr8ed
2005.10.11, 10:57 AM
I actually hate saying this but, Once again... Xmod quality shines through ! I'm sure alloy would help a little, but it should perform right out of the box !!!
Thanks Arch ! (saved me some money for sure !)

TeaQue
2005.10.11, 03:16 PM
you know whats funny, i post just about identical stuff on the 'other' forum and they just assume i'm kyosho biased. :rolleyes: i would not have spent $141 if that was the case.

here is the video of the wheels toe out during forward movement.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album126/front_push_during_movement.wmv

btw, chuckyluv came over tonight and got a 1st hand look at the lancer and h2. he can vouch for my findings and he has triple the rc experience i have.

i do feel the steering is fixable maybe with alloy knuckles and do dads. there just has to be parts with higher levels of precision and tolerance.

the offroad kit is critical in my opinion to the viability of these being offroad trucks, way more important than the awd upgrade. afterall, whats the point in awd if the front end hangs up on pebbles.
Yeah, I swear that forum is run by 10 year olds :rolleyes:

Roketmini
2005.10.11, 05:06 PM

Not to be rude...but i think the 4WD wouldnt take that long to put in, or would it be that hard. It only took me 20 mins to clean the gears after some baseball diamond runs the other day, and on my 1st gen car it took 15 mins to install 4wd. Maybe I just do quick crummy jobs...but who cares?

Its like this: Mini-Z:Macintosh::Xmod:Windows. The xmod has its faults (like Windows), but you get used to it, and once you switch to Macintosh (or get a Mini-Z), theres no going back. And if you try to go from a Mini-Z to an Xmod, the lack of non-entry level quality will surley dissapoint.

Oh and about the wheel slop, mine does not seem to do that. I didnt get to see the motor wires, which is actually a big clue about wether it was pre-production or not. A beta car would have orange wires, but a normal one would be black and red. The othe rindication of this is that my car does not have the orange suspension "top bar thingy's" (unless those are the lift kit ones)

byebye
2005.10.11, 05:34 PM
Not to be rude...but i think the 4WD wouldnt take that long to put in, or would it be that hard. It only took me 20 mins to clean the gears after some baseball diamond runs the other day, and on my 1st gen car it took 15 mins to install 4wd. Maybe I just do quick crummy jobs...but who cares?

Its like this: Mini-Z:Macintosh::Xmod:Windows. The xmod has its faults (like Windows), but you get used to it, and once you switch to Macintosh (or get a Mini-Z), theres no going back. And if you try to go from a Mini-Z to an Xmod, the lack of non-entry level quality will surley dissapoint.

Oh and about the wheel slop, mine does not seem to do that. I didnt get to see the motor wires, which is actually a big clue about wether it was pre-production or not. A beta car would have orange wires, but a normal one would be black and red. The othe rindication of this is that my car does not have the orange suspension "top bar thingy's" (unless those are the lift kit ones)

I really started to comment on what you said but I'd hate to hijack this thread. It's plain and simple. You can't compare and what arch2b did was NOT compare it to a Mini-z. He bought it, tested it, and reviewed.

-Byebye

TeaQue
2005.10.11, 06:35 PM

Theres been numerous people saying they have the same suspension slop problems.

TeaQue
2005.10.11, 06:38 PM
Hey Arch I just read over on the "other" forum that there are spacers you are supposed to use when installing the 4wd kit.

Did you leave these out? Maybe that helps with the slop some?

Edit: I read it as installed with the 4wd kit but now I think he means they are supposed to be installed when you put the truck together.

arch2b
2005.10.11, 08:04 PM
i have no idea what spacers that he was referring to. i installed all the bushings that came with the awd kit. there were no other spacers, washers, bushings etc, etc, etc,. just someone making themselves sound like an ass :rolleyes: it's like saying, hey you forgot the screw, you must feel like an idiot... just a stupid generaic statement with no real info at all. what bloddy screw? (example). just like those idiots who pop in to say this or that 'sucks' and nothing more. those are trash replies in my opinion as they offer nothing.

anywho.... i'm fairly certain i installed everythign and correctly as i went over it several times.

i have no doubt you can install the awd or lift kit in 15 minutes or less. it just happened to take me awhile but then again i only had a 5yr nagging me about running the lancer and keeping an eye on a 15 month old baby :cool: give a guy a break will ya...

my motor wires are red and black. i do not dare make such a stupid claim as to say all the trucks have the same flaws. i mearly pointed out what i found with mine.

all you have to do is read all the touble threads on xmods forums. you think you see alot here, go to a few of the larger xmods forums and they are littered with problem threads yet you mention it here and your just bashing xmods :rolleyes: you mention it on xmods forums and you get blasted for restating the obvious. it's that irrational mentality that really annoys me whiether it happens here or elsewhere. i do my best to present well observed opinions and as unbaised comparisons as possible as i own just about all the small scale rc's.

TeaQue
2005.10.11, 08:53 PM
I know that you are unbiased.

You have to remember that this hobby mainly (at least xmods) caters to a younger crowd :rolleyes:

I try not to spend much time over at the "other" forum for the reasons you posted.

The moderators are idiots (for the most part) and the content usually isn't very informative.

We all appreciate your threads and opinions...well at those of us with half a brain :)

arch2b
2005.10.11, 08:57 PM
thanks for trying to keep it on track over there as well. but yeah, you have to remember the target audience of some forums and adjust accordingly.

lets try to refrain from bashing other forums here as well. it just leads to poinless flame wars. i'm sure there are some who think i'm just as much of an idiot moderator here :p

TeaQue
2005.10.11, 09:19 PM
Aye aye captain ;)

btw, I'm trying to hunt down some cash in anticipation for a 4wd OL a la diets :cool:

arch2b
2005.10.11, 09:36 PM
me too :p , but that is for another thread ;)

briankstan
2005.10.11, 11:13 PM
so I got to thinking, ya I know, what am I doing that for. I was looking at the Xmod controller and the Prefix kt-5 and I thought to myself I wonder if the antanne form the Kt-5 would fit on the xmod controller. well the threads are the same size. I have a few xmods controllers so I got out the drill bits and enlarged the hole in the top and screwed in the new antanne.

So I was driving the Xmod around the RCP and it was seeming to be doing alot better. the controller either seemed to be doing alot better, or I was just getting use to it. :p

So I don't know about the xtruck, but I'm really sold on the Xmod EVO. it corners good and accelerates really well. and it really is just as manuverable as my mini-z.

I don't really care for the wheel wobble, but I can overlook it and I have really enjoyed driving this car around. Kudos to Radioshack for the improvements on it and I will be keeping it. I installed the light kit out of one of my other xmods and was driving it around the RCP in complete dark, damn those lights are bright. Well good enough that I could still see the Rails on the track. That was really fun.

I will be using it at one of our races just to give it a complete workout with some more cars on the track. I'm still not sure about the range yet but the track I have been running on is 13' x 18' so that's really not to bad. I'll have to see how it does around 3 or 4 other controllers.

I think I will take a set of the wheels and file off the little rim in the middle and try a set of Mini-z tires on it. I have several different degrees of hardness and see if I can aleviate a little of the traction rolling. I have found that once I got use to how it was driving I knew where to slow so it wouldn't roll, it's funny about this car, only about 2 times in 10 it doesn't not land back on the wheels.

now I need to pick up one of the AWD kits and give that a go, maybe a set of bearings. I don't want to get into it too deap because the Mini-z is still my racer. The Xmod, just for fun. I might even get the cool mustang body kit that they have available.

Brian

bda52
2005.10.11, 11:18 PM
I have to go with arch on the AWD kit install. Though it might not take all that much time to install on the Gen 2, it is a pain. You have to try to keep the front shocks together while trying to line up the metal bar in the lower A arms, while trying to line up the front diff, while trying to put the whole front end on again and tighten the 2 screws to put it all in place again.

It gets a little worse in the rear since it has the double wishbone (or as the instructions call it W wishbone...really at the moment I am not sure which it correct). At the rear you have to do all the same as the front end and try to line up the upper metal pin for the upper rear suspension. Total install time with adding the bearing kit took about 45 minutes to a hout. (oh and I am 36 yo)

I can add that the RS drift wheels and tires do fit directly to the 'stang but you have a very low ground clearance. It will work on RCP but you cannot get it to move if you just wish to test it out for a quick moment on regular carpet.

I do like the new Xmod but I would hold off on suggesting it until I get to test the new IW02. Might be worth waiting and saving the extra $20 (for stock) to compete with the Kyosho line for racing.

briankstan
2005.10.11, 11:25 PM
I can add that the RS drift wheels and tires do fit directly to the 'stang but you have a very low ground clearance. It will work on RCP but you cannot get it to move if you just wish to test it out for a quick moment on regular carpet.

I do like the new Xmod but I would hold off on suggesting it until I get to test the new IW02. Might be worth waiting and saving the extra $20 (for stock) to compete with the Kyosho line for racing.

I'll have to swing by the shack and see what they have. I wouldn't mind giving the drifting a try.

I have read some of the post about the new Iwaver and it doesn't sound good, lots of bad reviews so far. I'll see how things progress. I haven't even tried a Iwaver so I really have no bias againts them. that's just what I have read. :)

bda52
2005.10.11, 11:34 PM
I'll have to swing by the shack and see what they have. I wouldn't mind giving the drifting a try.

I think the drift tires run $15. I found it easier to drift the Gen 1 than the Gen 2 but that all has to do with being used to the bad steering of the Gen 1. I tend to turn in too much with the EVO.

I have read some of the post about the new Iwaver and it doesn't sound good, lots of bad reviews so far. I'll see how things progress. I haven't even tried a Iwaver so I really have no bias againts them. that's just what I have read. :)

In that same post there are both good and bad reviews of the new IW, so like most of us do here anyway, I will try it out for myself and see how I feel about it.

With that said though, I will be staying away from the Xtruck. But then again really I have no need for it since I have 3 OL, 1 MZM.

.cooldragon
2005.10.12, 01:52 AM
ok, Arch2b, now you got me really interested. I just look forward to trying to solve that sloppy thing :D and if I don't succeed, Diets will.

Anyway I'm pretty sure you guys would also find an easy solution before we do.
Interesting would be to now where the root for the problem is:
- dogbones are to soft/flexible?
- too much space between bushings and knuckel or other tunring parts?
- plastic of knuckels too soft?
- lower/upper hole of swing arm (where the knuckle get screwed both sides) maybe too large?

almost all of this issues where at least in 1 of my Gen 1 Xmods...

The challenge is there: now I just wait for the postman to ring a couple of times and hand me over a parcel from the US ;)

cd, curious now

machine
2005.10.12, 11:12 AM
For drifting on my Gen 1 car i used hard tires with heat shrink over them. Works great for me, and the heat shrink lasts longer than electrical tape.

I'm going to have to make a trip to the not so local mall in washington to get a new Xmod Lancer. Not interested in the truck at all.

Can someone tell me if the car has any roll out? Meaning off throttle does the car come to a complete stop in a few inches or a few feet? This is my biggest gripe with the Gen 1 car and hurt the track performance.

Arch,

Mind if i use you review on my forums? To tide me over until i get my Evo up and running?

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.12, 01:13 PM
So I had to buy one... ebay...

For someone completely broke I still think that the Iwaver is a better shot... the Xmods Evo is still very cheaply made... the plastics still seem so crappy... It is not worth comparing to the MR-01, 015, or 02 because of the price difference... and I feel the RS xmods is still just a toy.

SonicFury
2005.10.12, 02:36 PM
JDR now makes lithium kits for these. I believe he's the first.

http://www.jawdropracing.com/evo.html

arch2b
2005.10.12, 08:27 PM
For drifting on my Gen 1 car i used hard tires with heat shrink over them. Works great for me, and the heat shrink lasts longer than electrical tape.

I'm going to have to make a trip to the not so local mall in washington to get a new Xmod Lancer. Not interested in the truck at all.

Can someone tell me if the car has any roll out? Meaning off throttle does the car come to a complete stop in a few inches or a few feet? This is my biggest gripe with the Gen 1 car and hurt the track performance.

Arch,

Mind if i use you review on my forums? To tide me over until i get my Evo up and running?
sure, just credit the source;) . my goal was to spread the info around :p

i'll try the awd install tonight and get back to you on the roll out

arch2b
2005.10.12, 08:59 PM
just installed the awd on the lancer. much easier than the truck :p

yes, it has a decent amount of roll out for an awd car. it takes a few feet atleast, maybe 4 for mine to come to a stop from full speed.

the awful gear noise i heard before is now gone. just the whine of awd :) so far the lancer is a good car for $60. sure things are bound to break on an awd 1:28 plastic rc. i have not had anything break yet, thank god. lets see after our next gtg this saturday when half a dozen people take it for a spin :rolleyes:

it's actually much faster than the gen cars in my opinion. it doesn't seem awd slowed it down much if at all either

HammerZ
2005.10.12, 09:05 PM
That is good to hear, I have a few little ones on my Christmas list that may find some of these the morning of Dec 25th. Then I might have a reason to get an RCP track.

One of those "little ones" is a big truck nut and was going to get the truck till I read the results so far. May be more happy with the cars anyway.

markiiu
2005.10.12, 09:32 PM

Yeah, but you should use black heat shrink, the blue was ugly...

-Markiiu :cool:

noez
2005.10.12, 10:02 PM
Hey brainkstan,
During that race the EVO was pullin the Z,until you wrecked.

bda52
2005.10.12, 10:46 PM
Arch, how is the Lancer now with the AWD? I am wondering how it does on a RCP road course.

I just changed the Mustang back to the stock tires (from drift) and ran a few laps on the RCP wide oval I have setup. With the bearing kit, AWD kit, stock motor, stock tires and stock chassis setup, I did not have to lift at all going through the corners. No hint of push or loose at all. If I have the cash I will get the EVO stage 2 motors and see what happens with more speed.

If the MA-010 ends up running like this does, not needing to lift for corners, racing these will turn more into just aiming the car in the correct spot than needing to worry about throttle control and steering.

I have to say the $94.97 (EVO=$59.99, AWD=$19.99, Bearings=$14.99) I have invested in the EVO so far is a pretty good deal.

I must upgrade my opinion to BUY and forget about waiting for the new IW's. Plus, if you do have a problem like I had with the first EVO I had got, you have some place close to take it back to to fix it.

arch2b
2005.10.13, 06:23 AM
i find the lancer to be even easier to run around the track at full speed with teh awd ofcourse. i get some oversteer due to the stickyness of the stock tires. if i don't take the corners wide after the long straight i end up on 2 wheels almost or planted into the inside rail. i think it has more to do with my driving than the car :rolleyes:

i agree, the evolution lancer is worth the $60 plus the awd kit. anything else is up to the buyer, but i will not be buying anything more for these. it's tempting but i have other rc's that got short changed due to this purchase :(

as far as ease of returns, well.. you should not have to return a new product but it does happen from time to time with all the manufacturers. having several stores within 5 miles makes it easy but at the same time i've never had a problem returning onlilne orders either (except to tower). it's just a different time frame kind of thing naturally.

one thing i have noticed.... after racing the lancer for a few hours it takes a few laps to get reaquainted with a mini-z. it is VERY easy to see/feel the difference in how smooth one runs over the other. i have no doubt a qualified driver could run an evolution lancer to win in a mixed race but i certainly could not. it takes all my finess to finish well with a mini-z :rolleyes: in the end i think the evolution lancer will end up being my sons alternate car, he has an enzo mr-02 right now. he really seems to like racing the lancer although i think it has more to do with just getting a new toy, who can blame him :p i'll wait for the awd mini-z to add that to my stable of cars. the truck.... that will sit and wait for better parts. until then it's not good for much to me anyway. it's something that has tons of potential but lacked the percision/quality parts to follow thru. i have no doubt you will see tons of custom crawlers from modified evolution trucks. they will have to be modified though.

oh, i do not see awd cars taking over the rwd racers. maybe it's just me but they seem to be more geared toward the drifting and thigns of that nature rather than competitive racing. i'm sure there will be some racing but the rwd racers will always bee more about skill and control in my opinion which makes them more competitive.

briankstan
2005.10.13, 09:42 AM
Hey brainkstan,
During that race the EVO was pullin the Z,until you wrecked.

well, thats the xmod controller for you, and the z's batteries we getting prettyl low.

I would say that the acceleration is the same and the handling is good. there is still more control with the z. you can run with the Z as long as you don't wreck, or traction roll. I beleive it will still compete. I wasn't able to match the lap time of my Z with the xmod though, so the Z is still at least a 1/2 a second faster. I try not to compare drivers, more the car. I consistently run faster than my brother does. that's why I was timing the laps. I'll know more tonight when I race it with more cars on the track, and a bigger track.

Brian

byebye
2005.10.13, 09:46 AM
@briankstan-I searched through this thread but didn't see a description of the mini-z setup?

briankstan
2005.10.13, 09:55 AM
@briankstan-I searched through this thread but didn't see a description of the mini-z setup?

the mini-z that I was comparing it with. was not stock. here is what I have in it.

Stock Motor
Stock Electronics
Full set of bearings
Kyosho Ball Diff.
PN Motor mount
stock motor with 8 tooth pinion
Atomic Disc dampener
gpm 8 rear tires
gpm 15 front tires
1 degree gpm front knuckles
1 degree toe in
alloy wheels
CF H-plate Soft

I haven't had a completely stock Mini-z for awhile, so I couldn't compare stock to stock. I will be getting the AWD kit and a set of bearings for The EVO and then I'll do a full out times trial using my core lap timer, that should give me a more accurate comparision.

EnTg888
2005.10.13, 09:19 PM
Kind of off topic, but has anyone looked into installing an iwaver/kyosho PCB in the xmods evo, much like people did with the gen 1's? Would the pcb fit or would extensive hacking be needed?

byebye
2005.10.14, 01:29 AM
Kind of off topic, but has anyone looked into installing an iwaver/kyosho PCB in the xmods evo, much like people did with the gen 1's? Would the pcb fit or would extensive hacking be needed?

It can be done I'm sure and with hacking. I don't know how extensive. It may be worth it but from what people are saying the EVO car runs fine. I think it probably needs more of a FET upgrade than an ESC upgrade. Atomicmods. com has already proven that the 4562 won't work and it has two different types for forward and reverse. I think what it also needs is probably a better combonation of tires. you get sticky, stickier, and roll overs.

One of the great benefits to running a Mini-z PCB is the transmitter. Has anyone tried the Ko-propo with the gen 2's? I doubt seriosly it will work.

-Byebye

briankstan
2005.10.14, 09:31 AM
Has anyone tried the Ko-propo with the gen 2's? I doubt seriosly it will work.

-Byebye

i tried my ex-10 heilos and it didn't work. on a better note, I raced the xmod EVO last night againts 3 other cars all mini-z's. I acturally won**. Now the reason that I won was because one car stopped to change batteries, and one of the other cars kept throwing tires. 3 times in 50 laps. so we finished 50, 50, 48, 48(number of laps run)

So my conclusion is you can be competitive with the Z. I doubt that you will be winning unless you are just alot better diver than everyone else. I was actually having some traction problems, a little loose on the back end, the AWD should solve that. I installed it after the race along with some bearings. So I'll have to test that combo out.

I can tell you that if you aren't use to a better transmitter, then the xmod one isn't going to seem that bad, if you have used a better one. it's quite a bit of getting use too.

oh, I didn't have any traction rool problems at all. good news.and that is on the high grip side of the rcp.

Brian

beanoman
2005.10.19, 08:49 AM
Well, I have had my evo for a bit, and am quite happy with it- decent nimhs and a hotter motor make it quite fun to run around the house. I have never had a kyosho racer, only the overland, but I would think these have a good chance against the mr01.. Sounds like they still may not be up to mr02s.

Unfortuanatly, my evos pcb went out, no idea what is wrong with it... I dont feel good about returning it, since I did mess around with it- altough it didnt seem to have been my fault that it stopped working correctly.

I heard that bearings take out all the slop- dont know if its true, but it sounds quite possible.. I will be getting them in a day or two, so I will report back. Wont be able to test it though :(.

beano

briankstan
2005.10.19, 09:21 AM
Well, I have had my evo for a bit, and am quite happy with it- decent nimhs and a hotter motor make it quite fun to run around the house. I have never had a kyosho racer, only the overland, but I would think these have a good chance against the mr01.. Sounds like they still may not be up to mr02s.

Unfortuanatly, my evos pcb went out, no idea what is wrong with it... I dont feel good about returning it, since I did mess around with it- altough it didnt seem to have been my fault that it stopped working correctly.

I heard that bearings take out all the slop- dont know if its true, but it sounds quite possible.. I will be getting them in a day or two, so I will report back. Wont be able to test it though :(.

beano

I would suggest returning it for a replacement. It may provide Radio shack with some more info on what they can improve, and at the same time get you up and running again.

I have the bearings in mine, it did take some of the slop out of the wheels but not all. I also cut the little buttons of the wheel nuts so I could snug them up against the wheels. that helped a little also.

Brian

Roketmini
2005.10.20, 08:53 PM
Just to be stupid, is a PCB the controller? and if so i MIGHT know what is wrong. See, waaaay back in 2001 when mini-z's were somwaht new, RC Car Action Got all sorts of questions about "why does my car glitch when it gets mroe than15 feet away...etc." My conclusion is this: according to them, either the motor is pulling too many amps, the radio noise overwhelms the reciever, or the motor/reciever is dirty. Whatever it is, it has struck down my new F-150 and My year old camaro. Surprisingly enought, my 3 and 2.5 year old cars work flawlessly....

And as for your Ko, Jr,Futba, Airtronics, and other raidos, im sure something will work eventually :D

beanoman
2005.10.22, 10:34 AM
Well, a friend works at my local radioshack, and said he could make exchanging the evo a smooth deal ;). So it is now all packaged up.

Mini, should have been more specific, I meant the reciever/esc board stopped working right. No range at all, and it seemed to have happened for no reason at all. I did try the evo transmitter with an old xmod, and it worked fine. Tried the new evo with a old transmitter also, same result.

I will probly get the bearings, unless they have the new micro heli that has been popping up in some stores... Then I definatly be impulse buying the heli :D.

arch2b
2005.10.22, 11:35 AM
my son's evo broke during out last gtg :( yep, the much maligned rear knuckles (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=2296&cat=657&page=1)....

if i take just the car in would they exchange it out? i certainly don't want to take awd out and repackage it just for a knuckle. i might have to eat my words and buy alloy knuckles as this eveo will definatly continue to get track time.

sad part is i never got to drifting....

SonicFury
2005.10.22, 12:25 PM
I will probly get the bearings, unless they have the new micro heli that has been popping up in some stores... Then I definatly be impulse buying the heli :D.

What heli is that? I'm currently in the market for a good sub-micro heli.

beanoman
2005.10.22, 01:07 PM
Arch, I would return it unless you want to wait untill atleast november to get gpm parts.

Sonic, its more of a toy heli, but can be modified for full control and only weighs an ounce/28 grams. That would cost alot of money though, if you didnt have any of the parts.

Boss302
2005.10.22, 01:19 PM
They allready have a page up http://www.gpmracing.us/index.cgi?c=195 ........

And Atomic Mods said in a couple of weeks GPM will start making them.

Just wait, I woulden't want to take out the AWD so later I can re install it.

arch2b
2005.10.22, 02:57 PM
that is an index page for hobby etc. i believe, not an official gpm site. mini-z knows more about it as we discussed it before.

here is the offical gpm website
http://www.gpmracing.com.hk/front/front.html

beanoman
2005.10.23, 03:21 PM
Well, exchanged the Stang for a G35, and got bearings. Quite fun to use with ic3s and a uberdash :). Seems to be fine.

Arch, it only took a few minutes to exchange, so you may want to consider that. They just asked what was wrong with it and did some stuff on the computer, then they needed a signature.

beano

arch2b
2005.10.23, 05:14 PM
i just don't want to take the awd back out anbd repackage anything.... big hassle when you have kids

HammerZ
2005.10.23, 05:48 PM
I am sure RS can do something, even if it will cost a few dollars. I have always said that the frontend parts are the first to break on any RC car, big or small, Kyosho or RS, it don't matter. At least with the gen 1 cars you got extra parts with the AWD package, I don't think you get those this time. I am sure that there should be enough requests made to get replacements soon.

arch2b
2005.10.23, 06:30 PM
the trouble is i was planning on giving the evo a shot at the pz/ny/dc gtg raing nov. 5/6th. looks lik ethat won't happen now.... unless i get an hour of free time to take it all apart and get it back in the box, drive it back to the shop, etc, etc which is unlikley :( it would be much quicker to just order a replacement and wait 3 days. :rolleyes:

bda52
2005.10.24, 12:26 AM
Arch, how similar are the car and truck chassis? Would the off road kit fit on the car chassis to give it a rally car stance?

arch2b
2005.10.24, 06:13 AM
they are not similar enough to share parts i think. i have not really looked carefully at them both together either. i was always focusing on one or the other

briankstan
2005.10.24, 09:16 AM
they are not similar enough to share parts i think. i have not really looked carefully at them both together either. i was always focusing on one or the other

you might be able to borrow a knuckle off the truck. then you can race the car

Boss302
2005.10.24, 09:34 AM
You can repair it the bootleg way.........

http://photobucket.com/albums/y78/tuner1989/th_DSCN0453.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/y78/tuner1989/th_DSCN0454.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/y78/tuner1989/th_DSCN0456.jpg

I used the end of a ink pen tube, cut it to size filed down the rear knuckle until the hole sat even where its supposed to be and used a little bit of epoxy and hot glue to mount it.

Then use a regular, screw from the gen 1 xmod or something similar to mount it like regular. Dont over tighten though, make sure it travels with the suspension nice and flush and that the green arm sits at the proper height and not too low.

BLiND
2005.10.27, 06:54 PM
my GF bought me the F150 for my birthday.

http://blindbatts.dyndns.org/xmodf150.jpg
http://blindbatts.dyndns.org/xmodf150-lith.jpg

it runs pretty good on lithiums, I think it needs 4wd though, it gets stuck in the carpet and doesn't offroad very well.

unbelievable truck for $60 though!

BLiND
2005.10.27, 08:12 PM
is there anywhere cheaper to get bearings for them than this?

-http://cgi.*******om/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6002111621&fromMakeTrack=true

same place sells bearings for the gen1 xmods for $2.95+shipping....I'm assuming price guaging because they're new...

JustinL42
2005.10.29, 02:47 PM
arch2b and anyone else having front wheel wobble problems on the evo car,

***I have Identified but not yet solved the problem on my evo. If you take apart the front knuckle and spin the cup end of the axle on mine you can see the metal axle simply isn't molded in true with the cup. I.e. when I spin the cup the metal axle doesn't spin true, the end of the axle (threaded end) actually makes a wider circle than it does where it meets the cup. I have a heat gun and have made an attempt or two to heat it up and straighten the axle up in the plastic but I'm afraid of getting it too hot and damaging the plastic or off centering the axle.***

Everybody who has one should examine the front axles and see if the same problem exists in theirs. My front left is much worse than the front right.

On another note the grey plastic parts of the knuckles are just crap. First night I brought it home multiple places on the rear knuckle cracked after 10 minutes use on a mat surface. Since I knew about it already I caught it early and ca glued the cracks but I'm sure it won't fix it long term. If any alloy parts are made it needs to be the grey plastic parts of the front and rear knuckles and a more precision alloy axle/cup part.

Outside of that the design seems very good. It drives, turns and handles better than my old xmod by far. I didn't even consider the old one drivable without the awd upgrade. The new one does quite well with only rwd. I have an iwaver board in my old xmod that will probably migrate its way to the new one just because the xmod controller offends me!

JustinL42

arch2b
2005.10.29, 02:53 PM
thanks for the insight.

i keep hearing gpm has evo parts in the works but they have not updated their website and they are typically very good at getting that stuff up before the parts are available

beanoman
2005.10.29, 05:19 PM
I am hearing mid-november for the GPM parts. On the other hand, I got an Iwaver 02 and am quite impressed, lol. And when the ma01 comes out, xmods wont really have anything goin for them..

beano

gyrate
2005.10.30, 09:01 PM
odd. while i have the wobble in my truck, there is absolutely no hint of the insane toe problem you (arch) had in your H2.

arch2b
2005.10.30, 09:24 PM
yeah, maybe i just got an f'ed up kit or something :confused: chucky brought his over and his actually toes in a fraction of a mm under compression with little to no wheel wobble. his setup is the slammed wheel kit at stcok ride height and awd though. what i'm going to do is remove the offroad kit and install the slammed wheels to see if that solves the problem.... it won't be much of an offroad truck anymore but it will atleast be useable.

i also noticed my lancer has less twitch than chuchky's g35 and firebird so it furthers my opinion that rs still has spotty production quality much like iwaver. still worth the $60 though

gyrate
2005.10.30, 10:05 PM
it could be dependant upon the chassis lenght, if they used different assembly lines for each.

right now i am painting the orange stuff black. i love the smell of paint in the evenings..

i am holding back on the bearings because people say they do not fix the wobble too well so hopefully there will be a better solution soon. you can lift the arms a little and gain extra center clearance between the "axles" by adjusting the upper arm screws. the springs will actually push the wheels further down since neutral travel is resticted by the screws.

yamar6
2005.11.01, 10:49 PM
i did not see the awd mini z yet .but im going to put a iwaver board in my evo and i think it will keep up with the awd z.evo has better battery location and with the lower kit it is low to the ground plus GPM is making parts for it. Well I got the Xmod all put together and gave it a little test.

to my suprise it turns reall well, I would say as tight as a mini-z. I have attached a short video clip of the turning radius.

Xmod EVO Turning Radius (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/media/Xmod_evo_turning_radius.wmv)

I ran it a few times around the RCP Track and it does pretty good. I didn't have any problems making any of the turns. It still has a tendency to traction roll if you go into the corner to fast, much like the mr-01 did. I'm sure that can be solved by using a tire with a harder compound.

the real reason that I believe it traction rolls is because it is so much more narrower than the mr-02, just by comparison it's at least 3/8" narrower than my Mustang mr-02 chassis. (the Xmod EVO is also a 05 Mustang)

Just by the improvements that have been done I would say it would be worth recomending to a beginner with a really tight budget.

Will it compete with the mini-z on a track. NO. Would it be good for a beginner to become active in Mini R/C racing. YES.

I'll have to use it at one of our "For Fun Races" just to give it a chance, that is if I don't return it first.

If it would only come, or at least work with a desent transmitter. the one that comes with it is just a joke. no joking, I mean no kidding, No pun intended :eek:

Brian

yamar6
2005.11.01, 11:04 PM
not to start nothing but blame your driving not the car.you smashed in the same wall over and over after the straight.i think the car look good. put a iwaver board in it to get rid of the crapy radiohere is my little video of a Mini-Z racing a Xmod EVO

Mini-z vs Xmod EVO (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/media/Mini-Z_vs_Xmod_EVO.wmv) (the Xmod is the dark blue 06 Mustang)

even with the batteries dying in the mini-z he was still able to beat me by a couple of laps.

The Xmod EVO is clearly better then the gen 1, but still not as good as the Mini-Z. IMHO

I will however recommend it to those that can't afford the Mini-z.

Brian

yamar6
2005.11.01, 11:08 PM
GPM parts will fix itAfter watching that video on wheel slop, I retract my previous statement....I don't see shims or bearings doing anything. I wonder what we CAN do to fix that...

yamar6
2005.11.01, 11:28 PM
the only problem i have is all my wheels woble.i found my prob.the prob is the inner holes of the bearings are to big or the plastic that goes through the bearing is to small. so im just waiting for gpm to make parts.once my iwaver board is in the wheel woble is my only complaint arch2b and anyone else having front wheel wobble problems on the evo car,

***I have Identified but not yet solved the problem on my evo. If you take apart the front knuckle and spin the cup end of the axle on mine you can see the metal axle simply isn't molded in true with the cup. I.e. when I spin the cup the metal axle doesn't spin true, the end of the axle (threaded end) actually makes a wider circle than it does where it meets the cup. I have a heat gun and have made an attempt or two to heat it up and straighten the axle up in the plastic but I'm afraid of getting it too hot and damaging the plastic or off centering the axle.***

Everybody who has one should examine the front axles and see if the same problem exists in theirs. My front left is much worse than the front right.

On another note the grey plastic parts of the knuckles are just crap. First night I brought it home multiple places on the rear knuckle cracked after 10 minutes use on a mat surface. Since I knew about it already I caught it early and ca glued the cracks but I'm sure it won't fix it long term. If any alloy parts are made it needs to be the grey plastic parts of the front and rear knuckles and a more precision alloy axle/cup part.

Outside of that the design seems very good. It drives, turns and handles better than my old xmod by far. I didn't even consider the old one drivable without the awd upgrade. The new one does quite well with only rwd. I have an iwaver board in my old xmod that will probably migrate its way to the new one just because the xmod controller offends me!

JustinL42

yamar6
2005.11.01, 11:39 PM
i hope so, for 180.00 dollars it should.But a little work at a 60.00 dollar car it will give it a run for it's money.now that is a joke on kyosho plus it took them years to make awd and all the no name companies have awd.super slick has a awd mini monster truck for 20.00 bucks and the thing keeps up with kyosho's mini monster.sorry goes places that it can't the only thing super slick should make it full propo and sell it for 40.00 my 2 cents.I am hearing mid-november for the GPM parts. On the other hand, I got an Iwaver 02 and am quite impressed, lol. And when the ma01 comes out, xmods wont really have anything goin for them..

beano

bda52
2005.11.01, 11:59 PM
i hope so, for 180.00 dollars it should.But a little work at a 60.00 dollar car it will give it a run for it's money.now that is a joke on kyosho plus it took them years to make awd and all the no name companies have awd.super slick has a awd mini monster truck for 20.00 bucks and the thing keeps up with kyosho's mini monster.sorry goes places that it can't the only thing super slick should make it full propo and sell it for 40.00 my 2 cents.

$180 is not a bad price when we break it down for the AWD K compared to the EVO.

Now lets take a look and see why:

$60 EVO starter kit
$20 AWD kit
$20 Bearings
$40 IW board (so you can use a real TX)
$40 GPM parts to take the slop out of the handling (that it probably pretty low)

Total? $180....now isn't that the same price as the AWD K??

BTW, the shop has the K AWD chassis set at $130 and the RTR at $160.

byebye
2005.11.02, 04:41 AM
No one owns an awd mini-z right now and I think only a few will own both the x-mod and ma-010. For the price of the ma-010 and the new design it may be worth the $180 for the rtr and $130 for the chassis set. Personally I have read nothing but bad about the x-mod. It just seems like too much work to make somthing hobby class when it was never intended to be. Sorry but I will always pay a little more for the kyosho stuff.

I'm still not convinced.......

-Byebye

briankstan
2005.11.02, 10:24 AM
not to start nothing but blame your driving not the car.you smashed in the same wall over and over after the straight.i think the car look good. put a iwaver board in it to get rid of the crapy radio

I didn't say it wasn't my driving. it's just hard to control the car as well with the Controller that comes with the EVO, if you read around a little more, I have been a big fan of the xmod improvements on the EVO, but I will tell you that it cost more than just the few laps that I was down. I don't think he has ever beat me and I usually will finish 2 or 3 laps up.

I will say that with the AWD Kit installed and bearings I didn't have any traction roll problems and I enjoy driving the car alot, but I will still be racing my Mini-Z.

I don't feel that I should have to replace the board in it, That is something that They (who every made the xmod) should have known to do, especially after everyone complained about it when the gen 1 came out. JMO

Brian

newbitowner
2005.11.02, 05:16 PM
There's a drift kit made for EVOs? :confused: The genI drift kit wheels won't clear the knuckles on EVO trucks.

I've owned a X5 OL($100 shipped), skyline Iwaver($40 shipped), and a lot of xmods(10+). I sold the X5 after breaking a servo gear. I opened the servo case and said F this. The OL's servos aren't as simple as an xmod. The Xmods are in my level.

I'm really satisfied with the EVO trucks. I have the H2 and F150. My F150 is hopped up with all the RS upgrades. It cost me around $100 for everything w/a $10 off coupon.

I haven't had any problems with the knuckles. The driveshafts and cups seem really strong. My only problem is the differential starts to grind if you back up full speed and gun it forward. I only did that to see how what it can take. I then returned that F150 due to myself cracking the rear motor by misaligning the screws. :o

I don't plan on buying a EVO car until the knuckle issue is fixed or when GPM starts selling parts. I havem't heard of an EVO truck breaking knuckles.

Here's some pics of my painted HD F150...

http://tinypic.com/f0vjpy.jpg

http://tinypic.com/f0vjtz.jpg

http://tinypic.com/f9fiw4.jpg

http://tinypic.com/f9lbbr.jpg

Here's some videos also...

www.rcpics.net/img/67595

www.rcpics.net/img/67599

newbitowner
2005.11.02, 10:01 PM
I just finshed reading almost the whole thread. arch, did you install bearings on the truck? :confused: The RS bearings gave the truck more climbing ability(I couldn't run over a jenga block w/o bearings) greatly reduce wheel slop/play. Hopefully shims can diminish any play.

The slop my F150 has doesn't bother me because I don't plan on running very fast. :p

arch2b
2005.11.02, 10:14 PM
no, i already threw $90 into it, i wasn't going to waste another $20. the beauty of xmods is that they are cheap. if you buy all the hop ups your defeating the point in my opinion. it would take atleast $105 (rtr+offroad kit+awd+bearings) i guess to get decent performance out of it and you can get used overlands for that much, new if you know where to look which have about the same articulation stock.

having said that, it appears not everyone is having as much slop and play in their trucks as i have in mine. this isn't exactly surprising give the spotty quality rs has become so well know for since the gen 1 cars. i will be much happier getting mine back to stock ride height and running it on the track and tame courses.

i however have no doubts, as i've stated before, that these will be modded to be very effective crawlers. it's just going to take some time, a few good parts and some creative minds :p i know that diets and cooldragon should soon have their trucks and ripper already has xmods so...

i should clarify i don't do much if any 'crawling'. i mostly race my trucks and drive over obstacles built for the track.

TNB
2005.11.03, 12:51 AM
i hope so, for 180.00 dollars it should.But a little work at a 60.00 dollar car it will give it a run for it's money.now that is a joke on kyosho plus it took them years to make awd and all the no name companies have awd.super slick has a awd mini monster truck for 20.00 bucks and the thing keeps up with kyosho's mini monster.sorry goes places that it can't the only thing super slick should make it full propo and sell it for 40.00 my 2 cents.
Not everyone wants AWD--it's called additional weight. For that matter, there are RCs that cost thousands of dollars and don't have either AWD or 4WD. Does that mean they are inferior? Not so in my opinion.

Although I don't own the new Xmod, I did drive one on the PNWC RCP Track layout with a motor upgrade. In my opinion, the new Xmod is a large improvement over the earlier Xmod, of which I own several. Eventually, I will probably purchase a new Xmod simply to make my own comparison since I get tired of reading bias opinions posted by others. Heck, Radio Shack may even start selling the RCP Track Mini-Tile 96 now that it has an Xmod that can actually turn better and make it around the track.

More recently, however, I opted for a new Kyosho GT40 RTR, which looks a lot better than my older Iwaver GT40, a Kyosho AutoScale F150, and a Kyosho F1 boat. Is there a Radio Shack mini F1 boat? Mini F1 car?

I also saw the new Kyosho AWD being raced at iHobbyExpo and based on what I saw, I'm quite sure the new Xmod will not keep up since it appeared that the other Kyosho Mini-Zs couldn't keep up. Of course, those who want to purchase an Iwaver in order to use a different transmitter with an Xmod can go for it, but why didn't Radio Shack do it themselves? Perhaps, it's target consumer wouldn't have spent the extra money for better electronics in one lump some. Perhaps so, but the closer the costs the less effective the argument--much like when Tower was selling Kyosho Mini-Zs for $80-90. The hardcore Xmoders couldn't claim that Kyosho Mini-Zs were three times as expensive. Myself, I would have purchased the Kyosho AWD if the Kyosho reps would have sold it to me either at iHobbyExpo or at the PNWC.

Not that it matters, but I am not arguing. I see the introduction of a better Xmod as an opportunity for the RC world to gain additional customers. And since I don't receive any of the profit, I really don't care what RC car anyone else purchases; however, I would prefer that the newer racers (or even the older racers) have a good attitude when in mixed company. Then again, I've also read some of those posts on the Xmod forums and in my opinion, MZR appears a lot more civil toward the Xmods than what the Xmoders posted about Kyosho. Age difference? Probably.

TNB
2005.11.03, 12:56 AM
I must have missed it because if the Kyosho AWD was in "stock" and available now, I would have purchased it despite what the Kyosho reps or rather when they said it would be available.

bda52
2005.11.03, 12:59 AM
I must have missed it because if the Kyosho AWD was in "stock" and available now, I would have purchased it despite what the Kyosho reps or rather when they said it would be available.

TNB, that is the price listed in the description for the pre-order in the MZR shop. Bye-bye's sig has a link straight to it.

TNB
2005.11.03, 01:14 AM
Thanks, I was just catching up on the other thread.

BLiND
2005.11.03, 05:54 AM
I dunno, I like my f150 xmod truck.

a lithium pack in it, 45 minute runtimes chasing my dog around the house.

no slop but its stock other than the lithium batteries. I really like the way the f150 body looks except the color, I'll probably end up painting it silver or black.

its a toy, I've already owned a fully hopped up overland so I'm firmly set that the overland is a better truck if you want to do anything competitive with it.

but that takes nothing away from the fact that an xmod is a great $60 toy with hop-ups available!

BLiND
2005.11.03, 05:57 AM
FWIW my stock f-150 with lithiums performs on par to how my overland ran with a mini-zracer.com A-BB mod motor, and good 250mAH NiCD AAA's.

thats saying something right there!

the f-150 will pull bumper scraping wheelies on my carpet with a quick reverse->forward roll. The overland with the afore mentioned motor/batteries (and bearings, and blah blah fully GPM upgraded parts) would do the same.

arch2b
2005.11.03, 06:20 AM
Not everyone wants AWD--it's called additional weight. For that matter, there are RCs that cost thousands of dollars and don't have either AWD or 4WD. Does that mean they are inferior? Not so in my opinion.

Although I don't own the new Xmod, I did drive one on the PNWC RCP Track layout with a motor upgrade. In my opinion, the new Xmod is a large improvement over the earlier Xmod, of which I own several. Eventually, I will probably purchase a new Xmod simply to make my own comparison since I get tired of reading bias opinions posted by others. Heck, Radio Shack may even start selling the RCP Track Mini-Tile 96 now that it has an Xmod that can actually turn better and make it around the track.

More recently, however, I opted for a new Kyosho GT40 RTR, which looks a lot better than my older Iwaver GT40, a Kyosho AutoScale F150, and a Kyosho F1 boat. Is there a Radio Shack mini F1 boat? Mini F1 car?

I also saw the new Kyosho AWD being raced at iHobbyExpo and based on what I saw, I'm quite sure the new Xmod will not keep up since it appeared that the other Kyosho Mini-Zs couldn't keep up. Of course, those who want to purchase an Iwaver in order to use a different transmitter with an Xmod can go for it, but why didn't Radio Shack do it themselves? Perhaps, it's target consumer wouldn't have spent the extra money for better electronics in one lump some. Perhaps so, but the closer the costs the less effective the argument--much like when Tower was selling Kyosho Mini-Zs for $80-90. The hardcore Xmoders couldn't claim that Kyosho Mini-Zs were three times as expensive. Myself, I would have purchased the Kyosho AWD if the Kyosho reps would have sold it to me either at iHobbyExpo or at the PNWC.

Not that it matters, but I am not arguing. I see the introduction of a better Xmod as an opportunity for the RC world to gain additional customers. And since I don't receive any of the profit, I really don't care what RC car anyone else purchases; however, I would prefer that the newer racers (or even the older racers) have a good attitude when in mixed company. Then again, I've also read some of those posts on the Xmod forums and in my opinion, MZR appears a lot more civil toward the Xmods than what the Xmoders posted about Kyosho. Age difference? Probably.
well said tnb

TNB
2005.11.05, 02:38 AM
Thanks.

Tonight at one of the LHS, I saw someone trying to mount the Iwaver GT40 body on one of the new Xmods. But first, the person tried to tell me it was a "Mini-Z body" until I mentioned that I knew it was an Iwaver body--It's just too bad I didn't have my Kyosho GT40 or I would have showed the person the differences in the body up close and in person. After that we both discussed how much better the new Xmod performs when compared to the older version of the Xmod.

Roketmini
2005.11.05, 12:15 PM
$180 is not a bad price when we break it down for the AWD K compared to the EVO.

Now lets take a look and see why:

$60 EVO starter kit
$20 AWD kit
$20 Bearings
$40 IW board (so you can use a real TX)
$40 GPM parts to take the slop out of the handling (that it probably pretty low)

Total? $180....now isn't that the same price as the AWD K??

Could you do a tutorial or something on installing an Iwaver board? Do I need to buy a whole Iwaver just for the board? If not, where can I get one? I'm not the best when it comes to doing custom work (other than painting cars, thats a cinch).

JustinL42
2005.11.05, 07:01 PM
In the voice of Christopher Loyd from Back To The Future, "damn, damn damn"

I just got done doing a quick transplant of the Iwaver pcb into my Xmod Evo. Got everything working fine except I reversed the wires on the pot, no biggie I just reversed the channel on the Iwaver controller and then adjusted the center on the pcb to center the wheels. The Damn damn part is that I didn't have any heatshrink handy and in my rush to try it out didn't insulate the wires to the pot. I got about 15 minutes of extreme fun though before the pcb which I also failed to secure shifted when I hit the wall and one of the battery leads on the pcb touched my stupidly exposed pot wire and now I have no steering! :( I assume I just fried the pot and replacing it will fix the problem along with some intelligent usage of heatshrink and a screw to hold the pcb in place. It hauled ass though! Same as when I did this to the old Xmod the Iwaver pcb seems to deliver alot more punch and speed for the same motor and gear combo than the xmod board does. I recomend doing this for anyone who has a spare Iwaver board sitting around. It's pretty easy to do. You just don't use the black wire that comes off of the pot when hooking it up to the Iwaver board. It should be Yellow Iwaver wire to Orange xmod pot wire, then Blue Iwaver wire to White xmod pot wire and you won't have to reverse the channel on the remote like I did. This is all assuming there is any consitency to the color coding at Iwaver. My board is from Iw01 pro.

You can babelfish this link (german to english) for a look at how it should be done (http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=102177008820)

Here's a link to babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/)

JustinL42

beanoman
2005.11.06, 10:37 AM
I was thinking about a Iwaver transplant, but I decided to lipo it first...

http://x11.putfile.com/11/30719211365.jpg

http://x11.putfile.com/11/30719260852.jpg

With lipos and a uberdash, its hard to make it do what you want it to do- rather a bit too much power/speed, and now its nearly an ounce lighter too. I think I will put a iwaver board in, but the one I have did have a really bad steering circuit- although I mostly want it for the esc. 7 steps in the esc dosnt cut it, lol.

beano

JustinL42
2005.11.06, 12:03 PM
I actually looked at it again last night and it looked like a wire popped off the servo motor so I resoldered everything and the steering still didn't work so I just redid the whole thing with another Iwaver board I had from an Iw02 I'm not using. I've got steering back now but for some reason it's not centering too well (I switched out the xmod servo motor for an iwaver one it may not be strong enough) If you have lipos the ability to adjust your throttle trims on the remote would probably help you regain some control as well.

JustinL42

BLiND
2005.11.12, 09:17 PM
arch2b:

I saw this and thought of you:
http://www.one18th.com/watermark.php?pic=acdb.jpg&type=gallery

this guy fixed the bump steer with the lift kit + awd on his hummer

http://www.one18th.com/GetGallery8050.htm

http://www.one18th.com/watermark.php?pic=accf.jpg&type=gallery

HammerZ
2005.11.12, 10:02 PM
Look's like the same truck I seen posted over on Tiny RC in the xmods section. I like the dyed arms on it.

arch2b
2005.11.12, 11:13 PM
arch2b:

I saw this and thought of you:
http://www.one18th.com/watermark.php?pic=acdb.jpg&type=gallery

this guy fixed the bump steer with the lift kit + awd on his hummer

http://www.one18th.com/GetGallery8050.htm

http://www.one18th.com/watermark.php?pic=accf.jpg&type=gallery
interesting solution.... thanks for posting :) i do like the dyed parts the most though ;) do you know what he used to do that? all that orange just looks silly. atleast teh green on teh cars is somewhat cool

BLiND
2005.11.12, 11:23 PM
I've used RIT brand fabric dye on plastic parts before with good success.

namely, dying my GPM ballcups on suspension peices from neon-yellow-puke to black.

basically just take the parts off, throw them in a pot of boiling water with the rit dye in it (line the pot with boiling temp safe plastic or you'll dye your pot ;) ) and boil for a few mins.

they come out perfect everytime

you can get the stuff at walmart in the fabric area, or any craft store should carry it.

newbitowner
2005.11.21, 11:31 PM
Does the dye auctuall seep into the plastic? :confused:

How much water and dye should I use?

thanks

BLiND
2005.11.22, 12:06 AM
the instructions are on the package, and yes it seeps into the plastic, or it wouldn't be a dye, it would be a paint.

HammerZ
2005.11.22, 12:27 AM
It is better than the sharpie idea where the color will rub off.

newbitowner
2005.11.22, 11:45 PM
the instructions are on the package, and yes it seeps into the plastic, or it wouldn't be a dye, it would be a paint.

I asked b/c the dye is for fabric.

Are you sure it went through the plastic? Did you suff or scratch it driving it? :p

BLiND
2005.11.22, 11:49 PM
if you've ever owned an associated or traxxas 10th scale r/c car with the black dyed plastic chassis the same exact effect happens to rit dyed parts when the become scratched.

you see grooves in the plastic but the color is still there underneath.

I'm not a pioneer at this, r/c car owners have been doing this for 10+ years, the first one I did it to was my associated RC10T. Yes RC10T, it came with white suspension pieces and the cool thing to do was to dye them all black.

DAMZer
2005.11.23, 09:44 PM
LOL, converted an Associated Worlds car with an RPM molded nylon kit.............used to be able to buy flourescent dyes from the shops but haven't seen any around lately........rit dyes works fine on almost any plain "nylon" parts

BLiND
2005.11.24, 01:28 AM
LOL, converted an Associated Worlds car with an RPM molded nylon kit.............used to be able to buy flourescent dyes from the shops but haven't seen any around lately........rit dyes works fine on almost any plain "nylon" parts

hey I've still got my RC10 Worlds :D I love that buggy!

HammerZ
2005.11.24, 04:36 PM
I posted a link to the Tiny RC thread in the other Xtruck thread, at the end there is talk of a tutorial on dyeing the parts. I have seen it done, just haven't done it myself.

HammerZ
2005.12.01, 10:07 PM
The other day I was at my local RS and I noticed something very strange, my local RS is a part of Advanced Audio and it caters to the tuner and sound market. I went to find a connector for my Epoch so I can charge it. As I looked around something struck my as very out of place (insert Twilight Zone music here) Where are the Xmods and ZipZaps? I seen other RC cars and toys but no Xmods or ZipZaps for that matter. If I know those guys there, they are holding out for Spring and then go for a big blowout with the kids and such.

bda52
2005.12.01, 10:35 PM
The other day I was at my local RS and I noticed something very strange, my local RS is a part of Advanced Audio and it caters to the tuner and sound market. I went to find a connector for my Epoch so I can charge it. As I looked around something struck my as very out of place (insert Twilight Zone music here) Where are the Xmods and ZipZaps? I seen other RC cars and toys but no Xmods or ZipZaps for that matter. If I know those guys there, they are holding out for Spring and then go for a big blowout with the kids and such.

It makes no sense for them to hold any product back at this time of year. For many retail companies, this is the quarter that keeps some of the companies afloat for the rest of the year. I know for the sporting goods company I worked for this was true. We would come close to breaking even for the first 3 quarters of the year but the holiday quarter was where we made money.

I would have to say if the RS you are talking about has any Xmods or ZipZaps they would be out on the shelves now. Plus, why hold them for a 'blowout' in the spring? They could be selling them for $60 now, why sell them for $40 in the future?

HammerZ
2005.12.01, 10:48 PM
This is why it struck me as odd, They carried the Xmods in the past (it's where I bought mine from). They may have them in the back, I didn't ask. The way bussnesses work in my area is difficult to figure out at best anyway. I would also guess that next week we may see a big ad in our mailboxes on them. A small backwater town like the one I live in you see strange stuff, In a bigger area like say Texarkana (about 60 miles away) things are run more by the book. It is just these little things like this that makes me wonder "what's going on here?".

BLiND
2005.12.01, 11:22 PM
zipzaps are on sale at RS right now for 9.99 so they could have sold out?

HammerZ
2005.12.01, 11:29 PM
That may be true too. My local bussnesses have a hot/cold practice. The cold is you ask about something you hear "I never heard of that.", then the next week (the hot part) you show up they have it and it's "sure we had these all the time, where have you been?". I think this is just that kind of example.