PDA

View Full Version : How does your Iwaver/Firelap compared..?

ct-mini
2005.10.11, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I am interesting in get an Iwaver/Firelap and have a couple of questions.

I was wondering how many of you are satisfy with your Iwaver/Firelap..?

And how many of your have raced them against Kyosho's Mini-Z with good resoluts..?

Thanks...

machine
2005.10.11, 08:14 PM
Try and search this topic alittle i'm sure you'll find more information than you'll imagine.

I own a few of each and i'm enjoying my Iwaver/firelaps as much as my Kyosho Z cars. For the price of a K car you can get the Firelap with a bucnh of option parts.

leonen
2005.10.12, 09:59 AM
Hello,

I am interesting in get an Iwaver/Firelap and have a couple of questions.

I was wondering how many of you are satisfy with your Iwaver/Firelap..?

And how many of your have raced them against Kyosho's Mini-Z with good resoluts..?

Thanks...

They are pretty good cars. The new Firelap even has the electronics upgraded so you can put a bigger motor right out of the box.

The new iWaver 02 is a nice car. I liked it very much. It's not out on sale yet, but it's going to be any moment now.

Kyosho has very nice bodies. Spetacular bodies.

Can't say wich one is better. just that the iWaver / Firelaps cost very much less than a K and that you will have in your hands a "capable-of-winning-races" machine.

Go for anyone and have fun.....

Hypocrisy
2005.10.12, 10:18 AM
the iwaver02 ie a really nice car, alot cheaper than the kyosho, and is equal on the track. i strongly recommend the 02

but when it comes to the new r02 then you should be glad if the car even works.. mine and my friends cars didnt.. the quality of the car is a joke, dont have any positive comments on the car at all, and i havent heard any good from other that have tested it either. (exept from leonen) i have returned my car and got my money back. just racing my regular iw02 now..
you can check my rewiew on the car here:

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19392&page=4

(scroll down, you also have pictures of my car there where i show some of the problems with it)

leonen
2005.10.12, 01:52 PM
the iwaver02 ie a really nice car, alot cheaper than the kyosho, and is equal on the track. i strongly recommend the 02

but when it comes to the new r02 then you should be glad if the car even works.. mine and my friends cars didnt.. the quality of the car is a joke, dont have any positive comments on the car at all, and i havent heard any good from other that have tested it either. (exept from leonen) i have returned my car and got my money back. just racing my regular iw02 now..
you can check my rewiew on the car here:

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19392&page=4

(scroll down, you also have pictures of my car there where i show some of the problems with it)

You should read in spanish to get the scope from the guys in spain that also tested the new IW02..... http://www.minizz.com/article471.html

I'm sorry to read that you guys had such bad experiences.

ct-mini:

The IW02 that Hypocrisy refers to as

a really nice car, alot cheaper than the kyosho

is an old model by Iwaver called also IW02 (clone to the K MR02), but now is in fact the new Firelap, that has improved plastics and electrionic, to support motors like the new 50K RPM I-Plus.

You can start with that model.....

Hypocrisy
2005.10.12, 02:33 PM
@leonen: do you have a good site where i can translate from spanish to english?
if the new firelap02 can take those high end motors then the car is a bargain! :)
i might buy one of those so i can run both rm and mm, witout having to change the rear end and settings all the time.. $40 on *******.com, its a shame that there not selling the car witout the radio..

ct-mini
2005.10.12, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys… I’ve read both of your reviews of the new IW02 and boy does it differ or what… Too bad I can’t read Spanish… Anyone here care to translate..? Haha… I guess there are two sides to every story… I’ll probably get the Iwaver/Firelap 2.0 and hope it’s a good one, then will probably try my luck again with the new Iwaver 2.0 when it comes out…

I started this thread to find out if it’s even possible or good enough to race against a Mini-Z… I have read somewhere that a few have had problems with twitching when racing with Mini-Zs… Iwaver/Firelap is clearly the underdog and having one beating down on Mini-Zs would a great feeling… :D

soyverde
2005.10.12, 04:13 PM
If you want a quick and dirty translation, you can view the google (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.minizz.com/article471.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.minizz.com/article471.html%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG) or babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=es_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.minizz.com%2Farticle471.html) translated versions of this page...but they aren't pretty.

Leonen: While I can see that they encountered a servo return problem and fixed it by loosening a screw, are they actually saying (with the last of the "puntos negativos") that the steering response seems too quick for them? My spanish is way too rusty to translate anything that complex in a more meaningful manner.

Back on topic: I just picked up a Firelap to act as a backup to my Kyosho. There are certainly QC issues to watch out for (I have not received mine yet, so I can't really comment), but at least for me that appeared to be a safer bet than the new model IW02. Anything that new is likely to have issues when it first comes out. Good luck with whatever you pick, though. :D

Hypocrisy
2005.10.13, 10:55 AM
the issues i experienced with the iwaver/Firelap02 is that the metalpieces that the battery touches are quite soft and became to much bent in, so when you rolled over or crashed, then the battery lost their connetcion with the bars, this was easily fixed with a change to a kyosho chassis for $10. other than that there hasnt been a problem with the car, the plastic are of a slightly lower quality than the kyosho, but its not like it will break or like that. it will still hold up as well as the kyosho plastig, but the overall quality feeling is a bit lower, but doesnt interfere with the handling or anything else., (i bought my car from the first batch back in december last year)

and well, when you buy a car then you always change to bearings, cf h-bar and a ball diff.. and ofcourse better tires.
you cant beat $40 for a firelap on toy east..its by far the best deal if you are in the market for a mini-z, you get a better radio, and you can throw in a way hotter motor than the kyosho can take.. + that you get extra springs and both rear ends right in the box.

so, stay away from the new r02 and go for the older 02, better car, more options to choose from, and the price is a killer

Ibrake Ifry
2005.10.14, 10:15 PM
the iwaver is a good car when it comes to racing by yourself or even with a couple other people...but unfortunately iwavers really aren't good for organized racing. I've had quite a few experiences with Iwavers at my local track...first of all i have tried three different iwaver boards. the old iwaver 02 with normal fets. the iwaver02 before the firelap and the new firelap boards. all three run great by themselves or with 1 or 2 friends at most.

ONCE you pit the cars against other kyoshos the problems start. first of all if there is anybody with a futaba or any other expensive radio you are not going to be able to drive your car from the horrible glitching. second if the number of racers increases to anymore than a couple you will also lose complete control of your car.

Iwavers are good for the street and tennis court but not on any type of organized race.

Also the remote is really good quality and works great with the kyoshos.

Hypocrisy
2005.10.15, 04:05 AM
i have competed with my iwaver in some meetings, and havent noticed the interfere.

but if anyone points their radio antenna down on the track, holding the radio very low and with the antenna pointing down on the track then the car will get crazy when coming close to just that antenna, have ecperienced that once, and at that time, it was about 10people racing at the same time at a very small and tight track in a small space.

the problem you have might be a defect chrystal in the car or radio, try another set and see if the problem goes away, or your antenna in your car is touching something made of metal or carbon fibre (motorcase, other screws, rear damper) that cause interference too..

leonen
2005.10.17, 09:57 AM
i have competed with my iwaver in some meetings, and havent noticed the interfere.

but if anyone points their radio antenna down on the track, holding the radio very low and with the antenna pointing down on the track then the car will get crazy when coming close to just that antenna, have ecperienced that once, and at that time, it was about 10people racing at the same time at a very small and tight track in a small space.

the problem you have might be a defect chrystal in the car or radio, try another set and see if the problem goes away, or your antenna in your car is touching something made of metal or carbon fibre (motorcase, other screws, rear damper) that cause interference too..

Correct Hipocrisy, the problems Ibrake Ifry and you quote in general correspond to bad Crystals. Try changin them. It's not particular to iWaver.

The Firelap I got Is way much better than the previous IW02. Not only that the electronics have been upgraded to run a iPlus motor without even heating, but also the plastics seem much better.

Anyway, the new IW02 is much better. It runs a lot more smoother and is really fast. much faster on a simple stock motor. I tried it this last weekend with the xSpeed motor, and it's really uncontrollable, cause besides being faster, and the steering is so responsive, that it's a bit hard to drive it through till you get familiar with it.

Try one.

ANd the car i have is no prototype. Is the same car that's going on sale. My privilege as a dealer is to get a car before much other people. But the guys in spain got the same car.

Hypocrisy
2005.10.17, 03:32 PM
thats strange.. my car was the complete opposite to how you describe yours :eek:
ans speaking of the motor that came in the kit, it was even slower than the motor that came with my old 02.
well..im running atomic motors.. have tried the iwaver i stock, its really close to the kyosho x speed, but costs a 1/10 of the kyosho.. really nice motor.
will probably buy the firelap just of the better fets.

ct-mini
2005.10.18, 10:06 AM
Great info guys, lots of thanks... From what I've read so far, their newer Iwaver/Firelap are the best bet... Anyways, I've just place an order for 6 of them, this was the only way to beat their shipping cost... Ordering just one, shipping cost is almost as much as the car itself... I'll keep a couple and would probably sell the rest...