PDA

View Full Version : The Death of an Italian

DogbreathRacing
2005.10.17, 12:59 AM
Todays get together was a mixed bag, on one hand we hand near perfect conditions...the track had awesome traction, the suspension settings all worked, the motors and gearing were fast, everyone was hooked up great....but trajedy readily follows good.

The first several battery packs were all about would could hang it out the furthest to get the pass for leader, the cars were so well matched and balanced (we run a sort of IROC system for racing that has really tightened things up for us. We all run 3Racing Speed motors, same pinion, and stock PCB's. This makes the cars all the same speed so that the real racing comes down to set-up, tire selection, and good old driving skill) We had many many instances of running three to four cars in a pack within six inches of each other for as many as twenty to thirty laps at a stretch. In many cases two or more cars actually did complete laps in total contact with each other.

But as things progressed, the racing got heavier and faster, each trying to dive for that bottom yellow line( we were running a 12ftX16ft oval, banked on one end, with no interior walls, only a simple yellow line to mark the inner bondary) and possibly the lead. Well one thing lead to another and at that speed it happens quickly....one car hit another, who hit another, who hit me head on ....and thus the death of a fine Italian is caught on film.
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7124/dcao63787ur.jpg

briankstan
2005.10.17, 01:06 AM
that's too bad, that is one of my favorite bodies. I have it but it has only seen the track for practice.

I hope you will be able to repair it, or at least replace it with another.

it sounds like a fun time racing though.

Brian

machine
2005.10.17, 10:58 AM
'bout time it starting to look like a real race car!! LOL awesome!! Sounds like you guys really race hard. I've not broken a body yet but have come really close, luck is still on my side still.

How wide do you make your lanes, other than the oval course? i'm running 24inches currently and i'm thinking it may be tight for 4 or more cars.

DogbreathRacing
2005.10.17, 03:25 PM
that's too bad, that is one of my favorite bodies. I have it but it has only seen the track for practice. I hope you will be able to repair it, or at least replace it with another

Ahhhh not to worry, I can repair just about any body, my first 350Z was worse than that but it got repaired and is still running...the thing is that after repair they often end up stronger than they were stock. The Ferrari did get a full nose job and be back on the track in a day or so. All I have left to do is some sanding, then decal a front grill and some clear coat and it's done.
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3636/dcao63794an.jpg

'bout time it starting to look like a real race car!! LOL awesome!! Sounds like you guys really race hard. I've not broken a body yet but have come really close, luck is still on my side still.

Our racing has gotten very very close since we started doing the same motor same gearing requirement...it is absolutely awesome to race these cars that close for that many laps without a wreck....and sooner or later you'll break a body too.

How wide do you make your lanes, other than the oval course? i'm running 24inches currently and i'm thinking it may be tight for 4 or more cars.

We try to keep most of our track at 48 inches (oval or road) however on roadcourse we do switch it up, the long straight will be 48, but some shutes are 30 and some turns are cut back to 24 then back to 48, it really adds to the track providing both high speed straights and turns and some slower more technical turns and shutes.....but basically we are high speed junkies and bigger is better

Here's another view of the fatal wreck............
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4913/dcao63734ai.jpg

700club
2005.10.17, 04:02 PM
Ahhhh not to worry, I can repair just about any body, my first 350Z was worse than that but it got repaired and is still running...the thing is that after repair they often end up stronger than they were stock. The Ferrari did get a full nose job and be back on the track in a day or so. All I have left to do is some sanding, then decal a front grill and some clear coat and it's done.
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3636/dcao63794an.jpg

Our racing has gotten very very close since we started doing the same motor same gearing requirement...it is absolutely awesome to race these cars that close for that many laps without a wreck....and sooner or later you'll break a body too.

We try to keep most of our track at 48 inches (oval or road) however on roadcourse we do switch it up, the long straight will be 48, but some shutes are 30 and some turns are cut back to 24 then back to 48, it really adds to the track providing both high speed straights and turns and some slower more technical turns and shutes.....but basically we are high speed junkies and bigger is better

Here's another view of the fatal wreck............
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4913/dcao63734ai.jpg
nice work. are those enzo offset wheels?

saiyan
2005.10.17, 05:34 PM
:cool: The body is atleast repairable. If the impact would of been absorbed by the chassis and suspension it would of hit your wallet pretty hard. Lexan in 1:10 racing is great that it's light and will absorb minor impacts with out any damage, but over time it starts to crack and the paint will sometimes seperate from it. Plus it does nothing to prevent damage from hard impacts to the suspension. I can't tell you how many a-arms and c-cups and nuckles and bent shafts and broken tie rods i've replaced over the years. :rolleyes: :D

lfisminiz
2005.10.17, 07:32 PM
Nice pics as usual. Shame for the body. I have that body, just didnt get to detail it yet. Do you think its a weak body or just a bar crash?

DogbreathRacing
2005.10.19, 09:36 AM
nice work. are those enzo offset wheels?
Thanks, though it's not done yet...and yes the Ferrari uses Enzo offset wheels.

Nice pics as usual. Shame for the body. I have that body, just didnt get to detail it yet. Do you think its a weak body or just a bar crash?
I thinkl the front end could have been a little stiffer, especially in the front corners (where this one broke)....but in the end it was just a really bad wreck, it all happened so fast, I hadn't even let off the throttle yet even though the car had spun, so both cars wre under full throttle when the wreck happend....I ain't complaining, this was the first of my bodies to suffer any really major damage....however I have repaired many bodies for other MZMG members

EMU
2005.10.19, 09:49 AM
The 575GTC is not too strong of a body, my brother bought one last Saturday (after breaking his NSX in a similar fashion that you broke the GTC). After one day of noobish racing, you can see cracks on the front bumper. Is it me or are the new bodies getting weaker? He had the Mobil NSX for well over a year, and the GTC is almost at the same point in one race as the NSX was in a year damage wise... I cant wait until the 575GTC body is released as a blank, it should be a bit stronger plastic.

Lionblade
2005.10.19, 07:29 PM
The 575GTC is not too strong of a body, my brother bought one last Saturday (after breaking his NSX in a similar fashion that you broke the GTC). After one day of noobish racing, you can see cracks on the front bumper. Is it me or are the new bodies getting weaker? He had the Mobil NSX for well over a year, and the GTC is almost at the same point in one race as the NSX was in a year damage wise... I cant wait until the 575GTC body is released as a blank, it should be a bit stronger plastic.

Someone breaks a body right after I leave? Jeez. Well, Marcos's body almost broke, along with the wing when he rolled over me. I guess the 360 GTC takes a shot to a hard floor well.

After seeing that break, the crack on my Enzo seems like nothing Geez.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.10.20, 05:53 PM
thats not too bad, it should buff right out

G'ZOX
2005.10.24, 01:44 PM
new Gloss Coat body = about $20.. don't sweat the small stuff guys... ;)

EMU
2005.10.24, 03:23 PM
new Gloss Coat body = about $20.. don't sweat the small stuff guys... ;)
I dont know where you get your bodies from, but around here they are about $35 for the cheapest and $50 for the expensive ones. Blank bodies cost around $20-25.

For people low on funds, replacing or getting new bodies can be rather tough.

Lionblade
2005.10.24, 03:28 PM
I dont know where you get your bodies from, but around here they are about $35 for the cheapest and $50 for the expensive ones. Blank bodies cost around $20-25.

For people low on funds, replacing or getting new bodies can be rather tough.

*raises his hand* I think my own experience inclines me to agree. :rolleyes:
Though I'd say a new body is at the bottom of the list right now.

Bodies will always break in this scale...not much to do to avoid that. Hopefully having to dig into one's pockets might teach one to be more cautious...or just not run oval.

DogbreathRacing
2005.10.24, 03:38 PM
Bodies will always break in this scale...not much to do to avoid that. Hopefully having to dig into one's pockets might teach one to be more cautious...or just not run oval.
NOT RUN OVAL!!!??? Bah Humbug, nope, run fast, run hard, the bodies are tough but do break, fix um, fix um, replace um, in that order....caution? whats that?

And don't forget the shipping :(

EMU
2005.10.24, 03:41 PM
And don't forget the shipping :(That was the price at the local track, so no shipping ;) He gets most of his newer bodies from RC Kenon anyway... So they are about the same price that we would pay shipped from RC Kenon. The older bodies are the ones that are more expensive, since I dont think he dealt with RC Kenon...

For now I am going to stick to buying blank white bodies... Cheaper and more durable.