PDA

View Full Version : "New-Shop" Outrage

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.20, 09:00 AM
Alright, let me start with the fact that I have been around here for three years. I have always pointed people in the direction to go when they were looking for things in the shop and gave them locations of pictures to find what the product looked like from other sources. I have always thought it was poor attitude to think that if the customers wanted the products they would hunt and peck their way and eventually find what they were looking for in the shop without pictures and without a sufficient amount of information; we usually get a product name and brand with a product number. For two years I have been telling newbies that soon we will have pictures on the site so that you can see what you are looking for without having to google the product name and number and guess on what you are buying. I have always said, "hang in there, the customer suport here is excellent." But I am tired, and very pissed off.

We finally get the "new shop"... *cough*. Let me just release a scarcastic woohoo right now. Congradulations on working a new shop script. The search by brandname and the ability to sort by price and other variables makes the shop oh-so better... uhh, not. Now, you have more pages of B.S. to scroll through. More pages of the same lack of product support. It looks fresh... but it also looks half-assed without even realizing that it offers practically nothing new. Sharing a product page with tinyrc and halfeight +more .... what are you trying to become dungball of America.

I don't want any replies from people saying, "oh, he can only do so much, he has many sites to run and products to ship and blah blah blah." You know what, if it mattered to him how we really felt then he would have hired a professional web designer and did the site the right way. This waste of time sickens me.

I have no idea what kind of reprocussions this post will have on my activity in the community or if i'll be shunned away by the high roller members (of which, I seem to think I belong to) but this had to be said... and it had to be said now.

bolter9
2005.10.20, 01:57 PM
you've been here a lot longer then me, so I'm not going to step on your toes.

A couple of notes...

1. Sarcasm and insults don't go a long way in getting people to do what you want them to.

2. Helping carry the load does...

..as always, just some thoughts and no offense.

williams F1#3
2005.10.20, 02:57 PM
Until reprocussions from not having pictures, poor orginization etc. is felt by the shop, i doubt anything will change.

ruknd@aol.com
2005.10.20, 05:48 PM
2. Helping carry the load does...

huh? thisis a business not a not for profit organization. THe old shop was better and the one thing that was problematic (pictures) isnt there.

HammerZ
2005.10.20, 06:42 PM
True there isn't pictures for everything, but I will give them time to "shake down" the new system. I have put a few orders in the new system and I like the new features, the wish lists, the order records, and the gift certificates. There are a few downsides to get used to, like the search function, the muliple page layout, and the fact that the forum here still needs to be linked over to the new shop items. Also the loss of color codes for the different Mini Z types.

You can't make an omlet without breaking a few eggs.

bolter9
2005.10.20, 06:42 PM
huh? thisis a business not a not for profit organization. THe old shop was better and the one thing that was problematic (pictures) isnt there.

I wasn't suggesting pro bono ....

bda52
2005.10.20, 06:48 PM
What I have always liked from the shop is how quickly orders are processed and shipped. Top notch and one of the best on the web.

I kind of liked the old shop better. At least the color coding could help you quickly ID what chassis the items were for. I too would like to see 80 to 90% of the items with pictures. I am not thrilled with trying to look up a part on someone elses site to come back here and look for it and hope I found the correct item. More cases than not, if I have to look for a part somewhere else I will just buy it there.

What I would like to see:
Sections for each chassis (MR-01, MR-015, MR-02, MA-010, OL, MZM, IW01, IW02, new IW02, IW04, new IW04)

Within those sections for it to be broken down the way the old shop was. (Body, drivetrain...)

PICTURES!!! Seems to be the battle cry of us shoppers.

I do like the new colors and it seems much easier to read than the old shop. Keep on with the improvements and maybe take Twenty-Se7en's advice and hire a webmaster to design the site. Might even be able to hire someone somewhat cheaper right out of a trade school.

arch2b
2005.10.20, 08:02 PM
you guys are free to voice your opinons. you don't have to worry about admin retaliation, atleast not on this forum. david is not that kind of person.

the reason for the 'joint' concept for the shop was to make it easier for people to place orders for items available in the other forum shops without having to call/email to combine orders. i would venture to say most of us are members on atleast one of the other sister sites and i feel this ability is a great advantage. change is always a bi*$# as you have to get used ot the changes. the new features i feel are also things members suggested and asked for in previous polls/threads. i personally am greatful to have the wishlist, order history as it makes shopping easier to remember what i want and what i've bought.

images.... the mother of all complaints... it's getting done slowly but surely is all i can say. i'm not there doing the input so all i can do is make sure the images are available in the gallery for david to pull from. luckily byebye has been helping out.

your opinions are valid. you should not feel afraid to voice them, now don't get carried away with it, there are decency standards to uphold. :p

i can honestly say there is no desire to become the american 'dungball' or 'tower'. it's merely an attempt to make the shopping experience easier for members on one, two or all of the tinyrc, inc. forums.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.20, 09:05 PM
Well... as many of you have known me for a while, you know that I can often take a strong opinion and throw it out there right away but it doesn't mean that I wont contort it as things change. I was harsh, but that's how it makes me feel every time I order. I've designed so many sites and I have never seen the vagueness in other shops with as many products... it is just sad.

I hope that the complaining will send the message though. Everyone knows that I always send people here and never to tower or any other crappy source of our beloved hobby.

Arch, you are right about being members of more than one of the sites... I see it as an advantage, if it were done right... right now, it makes it confusing.

If I can help in any way please contact me... Arch, you know my email addresses.

arch2b
2005.10.20, 09:22 PM
Well... as many of you have known me for a while, you know that I can often take a strong opinion and throw it out there right away but it doesn't mean that I wont contort it as things change. I was harsh, but that's how it makes me feel every time I order. I've designed so many sites and I have never seen the vagueness in other shops with as many products... it is just sad.

I hope that the complaining will send the message though. Everyone knows that I always send people here and never to tower or any other crappy source of our beloved hobby.

Arch, you are right about being members of more than one of the sites... I see it as an advantage, if it were done right... right now, it makes it confusing.

If I can help in any way please contact me... Arch, you know my email addresses.
i have little to do with the actual shop. i have a supporting role if you will. please email david as he's the one man army :p there are many emails you can use, shop@mini-zracer.com , mini-z@mini-zracer.com, tinyrc@tinyrc.com , etc. etc. etc. use which ever seems to work best for you. i know many seem to have problems with one or another for who knows why. most likley it's a server blacklisting or spam filter i think.

i believe you can actually get the phone number from the shop as well....

byebye
2005.10.21, 03:51 AM
Interesting thread. I don't have alot to say other than bear with us.......We all have daily lives and some of us with families. I've tried to contribute as much as possible to improving the shop and will continue. Not having enough time is what's really keeping myself and arch2b from updating the picture data base.

We will continue to work on the picture and description issue. If you have suggestions please email me with them so I can sort them out and forward them to David in a more contructive manner.

toffe777@hotmail.com

-Byebye

briankstan
2005.10.21, 08:58 AM
What I have always liked from the shop is how quickly orders are processed and shipped. Top notch and one of the best on the web.

I agree, everything that I have ordered from the shop has been processed and shipped to me very quickly.

What I would like to see:
Sections for each chassis (MR-01, MR-015, MR-02, MA-010, OL, MZM, IW01, IW02, new IW02, IW04, new IW04).

Within those sections for it to be broken down the way the old shop was. (Body, drivetrain...)

PICTURES!!! Seems to be the battle cry of us shoppers.

I agree this is how it should be set up. Catagories, with sub-catagories.

It would make it really easy to find what we need.

I have only purchased Readysets, ASC bodies, a couple of stock motors, and Rcp Tracks from the shop here. I would have purchased more, tires, alloy parts, dampeners, etc. the only problem is I wasn't sure what to get. So, in doing research to find out the right parts, I found some other sites that I liked their shop layouts better and easier to use, so I just made the purchases form them.

I thinks the new layout is alot better, and I see that pictures are being added. I would also like the descriptions to be improved, so we know what the parts fit. Then again it they were in catagories like MR01, or MR-02 with the parts under that catagory that would make it easier.

thanks for taking the time to make the improvements and I hope you concider making some of the improvements mentioned by some of your users.

Brian

imxlr8ed
2005.10.21, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=bda52]What I would like to see:
Sections for each chassis (MR-01, MR-015, MR-02, MA-010, OL, MZM, IW01, IW02, new IW02, IW04, new IW04)QUOTE]

Hey... what about F1 !!! :D

I'm curious... In each category above, would you have say, sub-categories in each of these like:

Readyset, Body, Chassis, Motor & mounts, Diff, Wheels, ... Generic Accessories... etc.

So if I have say, a Monster, and I need servo parts I would:

Click MZM, click chassis (or steering, depend on how in depth it gets) search through selection...

Seems simple, I'm sure it's easier said than done though...

briankstan
2005.10.21, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=bda52]What I would like to see:
Sections for each chassis (MR-01, MR-015, MR-02, MA-010, OL, MZM, IW01, IW02, new IW02, IW04, new IW04)QUOTE]

I'm curious... In each category above, would you have say, sub-categories in each of these like:

Readyset, Body, Chassis, Motor & mounts, Diff, Wheels, ... Generic Accessories... etc.

Click MZM, click chassis (or steering, depend on how in depth it gets) search through selection...

It should be for all products they sell.

I would think that the goal would be to make it easy on the end user. it may take a lot of initial set up, but in the end I feel it will have a huge pay back. I know just from me it would have been around a thousand dollars in orders.

The easier it is to find the correct part, or the available parts for what you have will be a great advantage to the end consumer, and in return for the shop

Brian

bda52
2005.10.21, 01:09 PM

I cannot believe I forgot them. Heck, look at my sig, I have more F1's than anything else!!!

I hate to say set it up like din.... or toy.... but when you are looking for a part it is usually just a couple of clicks away.

Use as an example you are looking for a "Kyosho F1 rear shock".

If you type "Kyosho F1 rear shock" into the search it comes up with nothing. If you go into 'Handling and Suspension' to look for it you have to go through 4 pages or 81 items until you find it. If you are not paying attention to reading all the descriptions as you go through the pages you will miss it and think the shop does not carry it.

If you use the search for "f1 rear shock" it comes up with Atomic Mini-Z F1 Rear Shock, I am sure a good product but not what I was looking for.

Now say you missed the Kyosho shock set and settled for the Atomic set. Well the shop just lost $8.40. The Kyosho set is $14.99 and the Atomic is $6.59.

Now lets just expand that alittle. What if 10 of us were looking for the "Kyosho F1 rear shock" but settled for the Atomic Mini-Z F1 Rear Shock?

The shop has now lost $84 in revenue.

I understand that we can email the shop if we cannot find an item. I have tried that myself in the past and have not received replies. It would best serve minizracer to have as friendly or self-serve shop as possible to not lose sales or dollars due to settling for a similar product. Or worse yet, shopping somewhere else.

Like I have said before, the service and ship time from the shop here is the best around. No debate on that. That is why I would love to see further improvements to the online store, better catagories, sub-cats and pictures, to keep the dollars in the US.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.21, 02:36 PM
This post has generated quite the interest in improving the shop ... I'm glad that I kinda flew off the head when I posted now :D

bda52
2005.10.21, 04:52 PM
Good work Twenty-Se7en.

Ultimately we are all looking to improve an above average product and make it a great one.

davkin
2005.10.21, 06:56 PM
I have to agree with you 27. The new website appears to be a step backwards not forwards. I stopped buying from here some time ago due to lack of pics and product info in the shop, it was just such a hassle. I wanted to support the forum here but the difficulty of using the shop just sent me running to competitor websites that were just so much easier to buy from. I got tired of the "He's only one person, he can only do so much" excuse about two years ago, and it's still being used. If you are in over your head either get to shallower water or get help. This is no way to run a business.

On a positive note however, I did receive all the orders I've placed here in a timely manner, however I've received similar service from most of the competitor websites.

David

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.21, 09:14 PM
I think that I may propose to David some of my help... get this "mess" straightened away with quickly... I know he is losing customers to this, it is obvious that he needs at least some help.

soyverde
2005.10.21, 10:40 PM
I think that I may propose to David some of my help... get this "mess" straightened away with quickly... I know he is losing customers to this, it is obvious that he needs at least some help.

Are you a DBA as well? The new shop strikes me as more of a canned/CMS style system than something created from scratch. So assuming this is your typical CMS you are looking at 1025 products currently online, with separate titles, internal product numbers, descriptions, prices, quantities in stock, pictures, etc. And no doubt each of these is categorized into which shop (category) and sub-category they fall into. So...we now have about eight different pieces of information for each of these 1025 products (maybe only seven, if the database is well normalized, but at least eight for data entry purposes), and the stock is changing on a daily (hourly) basis. I think I can see where altering the layout and creating roughly 12x the sub-categories (just for the mini-zracer section) would be a bit much for only a few people doing data entry while running the old and new shops in tandem (keeping the information in synch the whole time). That, of course is assuming the system can easily handle categories that reach three levels deep. In any case, it would be one thing if he had taken the shop down for a few weeks (and ate the losses involved in doing so), but to do all the data entry while still running the shop was/is probably pretty stressful. Even if I am completely wrong about the composition of the back end, there is certainly one heck of a lot of data entry going on, much of it probably just to keep the shop current with new items.

When you say you will straighten out this "mess" quickly...would you hire temps that know a lot about z's (and other small rc style products)? I know those in charge keep saying to be patient, and it has been a long time, but as someone who apparently knows the business, you should also understand how bad data entry can get, particularly if you cannot port the old data to the new system with scripting. I guess I just feel like playing devil's advocate, as I know how easy it is to get bogged down in a project where the old version is still constantly in use, and you have many thousands of pieces of data to get just right. I understand how adding extra content (specifically pictures) could end up on the back burner for a little while longer. :rolleyes:

It's certainly good to voice your opinions, otherwise he might never know why he is losing business, but I think that he has probably gotten the point about pictures, and it's just going to take time. As far as hiring on extra help, that costs extra money, and I can't speak to what his profit margins might be. If you do it pro bono, he would have to trust you pretty thoroughly to allow you back end access to what might be a prepackaged retail setup with little separation between the product and customer information on the administrative side (in terms of security). Giving anyone he did not trust that kind of access would be taking a huge risk with his customers' personal and perhaps financial data... I say, sure, offer a helping hand, but don't just assume that whatever web development experience you have is going to magically herd that much data into shape at once. There are probably a few more variables at play than you are thinking of at the moment.

Oh, silly me, that's just the customer GUI side...he probably has to order stock, fill/ship orders, and I think he might get some work-related emails as well. They may be excuses, but that does not make them any less valid. :D

</long-arsed post>

bolter9
2005.10.21, 11:17 PM
Are you a DBA as well? The new shop strikes me as more of a canned/CMS style system than something created from scratch. So assuming this is your typical CMS you are looking at 1025 products currently online, with separate titles, internal product numbers, descriptions, prices, quantities in stock, pictures, etc. And no doubt each of these is categorized into which shop (category) and sub-category they fall into. So...we now have about eight different pieces of information for each of these 1025 products (maybe only seven, if the database is well normalized, but at least eight for data entry purposes), and the stock is changing on a daily (hourly) basis. I think I can see where altering the layout and creating roughly 12x the sub-categories (just for the mini-zracer section) would be a bit much for only a few people doing data entry while running the old and new shops in tandem (keeping the information in synch the whole time). That, of course is assuming the system can easily handle categories that reach three levels deep. In any case, it would be one thing if he had taken the shop down for a few weeks (and ate the losses involved in doing so), but to do all the data entry while still running the shop was/is probably pretty stressful. Even if I am completely wrong about the composition of the back end, there is certainly one heck of a lot of data entry going on, much of it probably just to keep the shop current with new items.

When you say you will straighten out this "mess" quickly...would you hire temps that know a lot about z's (and other small rc style products)? I know those in charge keep saying to be patient, and it has been a long time, but as someone who apparently knows the business, you should also understand how bad data entry can get, particularly if you cannot port the old data to the new system with scripting. I guess I just feel like playing devil's advocate, as I know how easy it is to get bogged down in a project where the old version is still constantly in use, and you have many thousands of pieces of data to get just right. I understand how adding extra content (specifically pictures) could end up on the back burner for a little while longer. :rolleyes:

It's certainly good to voice your opinions, otherwise he might never know why he is losing business, but I think that he has probably gotten the point about pictures, and it's just going to take time. As far as hiring on extra help, that costs extra money, and I can't speak to what his profit margins might be. If you do it pro bono, he would have to trust you pretty thoroughly to allow you back end access to what might be a prepackaged retail setup with little separation between the product and customer information on the administrative side (in terms of security). Giving anyone he did not trust that kind of access would be taking a huge risk with his customers' personal and perhaps financial data... I say, sure, offer a helping hand, but don't just assume that whatever web development experience you have is going to magically herd that much data into shape at once. There are probably a few more variables at play than you are thinking of at the moment.

Oh, silly me, that's just the customer GUI side...he probably has to order stock, fill/ship orders, and I think he might get some work-related emails as well. They may be excuses, but that does not make them any less valid. :D

</long-arsed post>

heh... soyverde, I've worked in corporate-level web development for almost 10 yrs....good post. Everyone has valid concerns, but (as is usually the case), there are way more logistics then we realize.

While excuses for poor features may not fly for large online retailers, this shop is a niche portion of a niche hobby, and the reality is that it probably doesn't generate the kind of revenue needed to give us the perfect online store.

I'd like to see alot of the features people are asking for- they're certainly important for future shop growth and "walk in" customers. I've put in my time buying stuff for my pals because the site lacks user-friendliness...but you know what? MZR knows this, as can be proved by the fact that we are getting updates to this site.

Twenty-Se7en, while I respect your seniority on this board, I don't agree that losing your cool is going to be effective in getting pictures in the shop any sooner....if anything it'll probably make MZR wonder why he puts in the hours to keep this place around- and if indeed you are experienced in web development, then I'd think you would have approached this a whole lot differently.

...as always, just some thoughts and no offense.

Chezedog
2005.10.21, 11:51 PM
I find it amusing that people feel so strongly about it.
This is capitalism, baby, pure and simple.
You have a choice where to spend your hard earned gidas.
If you feel like these forums make it worth shopping here despite a less-than-satisfying retail experience, then do so.
If, like most cost-conscious consumers, you buy based on service, price and ease of getting it done, you might buy elsewhere.
But whoever you buy from, there's no point in telling the guy with balls enough to attempt an endeavor like this how he should do it.

Either buy his products, or don't.

Otherwise we're no different than a bunch of old ladies harassing a K-mart manager about expired 19 cents off coupons.

Vote with your almighty dollar, and should David want our advice, I expect he'll ask for it.

Again, just another opinion! :D

will3kgt
2005.10.22, 03:00 AM
Most of the people who've been complaining about pictures have been on this site far longer than I have. Everyone on this site seems to be fairly knowlegable about all mini-zs and their parts, so whats the problem? Everytime I've ordered anything from this site I knew what I was getting and I got it in a timely manner.

byebye
2005.10.22, 05:47 AM
I've been a member since 2003 and it's the same thing over and over again. People complaining about no pictures and I can get better price elsewhere. It's getting old. I've never been dissatisfied with the customer service here. Everything I've ordered has been delivered in a timely manner. This thread will come and go like the rest of the complaints. The shop will continue to thrive, members will continue to post and orders will be fullfilled.

If you think you can do better than do so. Otherwise enjoy your free experience here at minizracer.com. Share your ideas and new products and pictures free at minizracer.com. Reading all the BS makes me want to quite coming here because from my position I know what it has to be done to fix the new shop and it's not a couple of clicks away. I spent 3 hours moving pictures out of my gallery because the new software automatically placed product photos there. One by one I copied pasted enter decriptions, deleted, resized the entire Atomic mini-z parts list. I spent alot of hours doing just that one manufacturer. I don't have the program experience that most of you claim to have but I can tell you I don't need it to copy pictures and upload one by one. There's alot more logistics involved and I'm doing what I can and have been tasked to do to help.

If David ran this site and this site solely you would see much more traffic from him don't you think? He gets on when he can and don't think he doesn't read this crap ass thread too. Twenty-Seven, you'll be back. You like it here to damn much! We all like it here wether we buy from the shop or not.

I'm just ranting because there's always someone who can do it better.

-Byebye

soyverde
2005.10.22, 08:56 AM
Twenty-Se7en: Please don't take this as me simply deciding to rip on your experience...I'm sure MZR could use the help, I just don't think it helped anything when you announced that you were going to take it on without talking to him first. You can probably tell that all of the programming (and much of the data entry) is done by the fact that the new site is already up and running...from this point on it is probably rote data entry, which is tedious at the best of times.

Byebye: Your post seems to confirm this. Don't take a couple of complaints personally, there are quite a few of us who can comiserate with what you are doing for the shop, and how volumnous this task is (especially with a family, in your free time). While there could have been options earlier on for importing (and this probably took place, in one form or another), it is pretty typical that there has to be some manipulation of the data by a human who understands it, just because the two systems are organized differently. Add to that the fact that the shop is online and in use, and it almost certainly has to be done piecemeal by individuals, so no huge mistakes that break the system take place.

I don't envy MZR running a business and having to manage, and almost certainly work on, a project of this magnitude at the same time. When you run a small business, you wear a lot of hats, and somebody has to make all the decisions, whether the customer likes it or not. To put it in purely capitalistic terms: a businessman cares what his customers think...whether he cares about the customers or not. MZR is doubtlessly listening, it is simply a matter of having the resources to provide what everyone is asking for.

</I'll shut up already now>

arch2b
2005.10.22, 10:52 AM
wow, thank you guys for the deep insight and thought put into the replies. feedback is always welcome :p

it's awsome that we have members here that are into so many diverse feilds of employment. it really show thru when you get into the details in some threads such as these. i happen to think it's great that you guys take your time to share your knowledge. unfortunatley this has nothing to do with modern building architecture or i would feel much more confident in adding my insight. ever since i became a moderator, it's been a 'on the job learning' for me. some of the stuff you guys talk about goes way over my head but i get the gist of it. as byebye mentioned, even with family's and little free time, we strive to our best ability to work on what we can to help david out. it's not much i think when you compare it to the amount f work david has to do on his own but it's valuable help none the less. and yes, it's not easy deligating work out to people you've likely never met. it takes a HUGE amount of trust. i've had the pleasure of meeting david once and well, byebye is like family to me so we are a good working team. not sure where i'm going with this but it's not just a case of accepting help from anyone concerning access to the back end of the site. there is a vet'ing process and it's usually a long one as byebye and myself have been here for some time, (4 years for me).

solong as we don't take what said personally i think this might just be the best 'complaint' thread i've seen. most just degenerate into personal squabils. it's not easy sometimes to not take it personally when it's our time being put into this though but i certainly do my best.

DigitalMafia
2005.10.25, 02:48 PM
Well I think the store is a good release effort. As mentioned several times-complete pics and products by category (MR-01 ect) are must haves - but then I think the store will be great. The best RC store i have used is RCkennons so that is the standard I go by. The good news is that you already have world class customer service so once the other pieces are in you will have a great store.

dm.

bolter9
2005.10.25, 03:16 PM
Like I said, this isn't Amazon.com- we're all hobby geeks, we know what we're looking for and generally don't have any problems finding it in the shop.

Byebye and Arch, I really appreciate the behind the scenes work you guys have put in- I work for the largest health-care publisher in the U.S, and our web department has a staff of 12 designers, programmers and production specialists- all with applicable degrees and ample experience - even with all that, we can barely keep up with the demands of our clients and senior management.

You guys are doing just fine.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.25, 04:43 PM
This is a forum and speaking out on random times about random things is what happens. Whether or not my company got to help out with the MZR site is completely different from me saying I would like to give David a hand. I didn't say that I was going to offer services for a charge, that would make me speaking out here first a really dumb idea.

I do agree that allowing "strangers" to work on a website is something that is a complete risk. That is why I believe that when a site gets to a certain level you must hire the right team to help you. A team you can trust.

Mini-z's have been on the market a mere 6 years. This is by far the best english forum on the internet. All members that have been here a long time would probably agree that they have run into things that they wished they could change on this site but there is only so much on person can do.

arch2b
2005.10.25, 06:42 PM
it's our members that make this the best mini-z forum :) that is the most important thing to remember. even if they have a greivance ;)

there are for exmaple members like saiyan and hammerz (just 2 picked out of the blue) that have contributed greatly yo threads like the wheel data, vital stats, white bodies etc, etc. there are many more but i can't drag this on for pages.... suffice to say i, we, are thankful for you the members as well :p

pHREDD
2005.10.25, 08:07 PM
I liked the old shop better. Pictures would help but I usually know what Im looking for and it isnt a big issue to me. I try to buy from here because I have never had a bad experience with this shop and shipping is very fast.

I want to thank mini-zracer for what it is.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.26, 11:13 AM
as it progresses I hope that things like wheel offsets and images are commonplace as well as what model they belong to, etc. I really like the wishlist, so that's a plus. But my better half would have quite a lot of difficulty finding the right stuff to buy me for xmas if I didn't tell her exactly or buy it myself, lol.

pHREDD
2005.10.26, 01:40 PM
But my better half would have quite a lot of difficulty finding the right stuff to buy me for xmas if I didn't tell her exactly or buy it myself, lol.

Good point!

I wont have to worry about that issue though....My better half doesnt want me to buy anything RC

TNB
2005.10.26, 03:43 PM
Heck, I have problems finding what I want and if I find something I think I want, I'm not sure if it is what I want so I still ending up checking another site than really end up wondering if the product numbers don't match. That is one reason, I decided not to place an order a while back. Oh well, I spent enough at iHobbyExpo and at Ultimate Hobbies.

pHREDD
2005.10.26, 10:35 PM
Oh well, I spent enough at iHobbyExpo and at Ultimate Hobbies.

where is the icon for envy?

I whould have loved going to ihobbyexpo. I have seen a ton of info and videos of the expo. Loved the heli's :D

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.27, 01:13 AM
I would have loved to be there too... too bad i'm at the extreme opposite end of North America. I think that I will have to take holidays sometime next year and tour the mini-z scene in the States... :D

arch2b
2005.10.27, 08:02 PM
...But my better half would have quite a lot of difficulty finding the right stuff to buy me for xmas if I didn't tell her exactly or buy it myself, lol.
well, that is what the wish list is for ;) simply email it to here and your golden :)

BLiND
2005.11.04, 02:57 AM
my feeling is every item for sale needs a picture.

It's not entirely that hard, the most time consuming process of developing my shops shopping cart system was implementing drop down options for each item, that takes hours and hours and hours to work through.

for example a battery pack from my site:
cell brand
battery pack layout
attributes:
insulation color (3 choices)
connector (5 choices I think)
matched/not matched cells

took me almost 3 years to get my page how it is today, and its still not perfect.

My #1 priorioty was getting pictures of every item though, attributes, categories, etc came later.

what_apex?
2005.11.08, 08:54 PM
What the hey, I'll add my two cents too, now that my wheels are (presumably) finally on their way.

All I want is a friggin' phone number posted at the top of the site, like a ligitimate business would have. In fact, Mini-Z himself told me that was going to be the case with the new site. I don't see it. If not for all you fine folks and this forum, I never would have placed an order at a somewhat shady-looking website like this. So I think Mini-Z owes you (and me) a big thanks.

So how does he thank us? Well, he ships fast. That's good. But as far as I can tell, that's about it as far as service goes. All this talk and wondering if he's receiving your email... You're damn right he is, he just doesn't bother to answer. If a guy is trying to run a business from his garage, I can see how he might ignore requests for technical help and the like since there just isn't time for this, and, after all, that's what this forum is for. But when he has my money due to an inventory error, can't return or refund it, can't provide me with an equivalent product or a timeline for him to get an equivalent product, and can't even answer my email regarding this transaction, I get pissed. Along with the phone number, he told me the new site would accept credit cards directly for those of us who hate paypal. I have yet to see this feature either. Not that it's going to matter, because I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on the new site anyway.

But, I figure this is America and capitalism at it's finest. At some point customers will quit or go elsewhere until Mini-Z reaches supply and demand equilibrium again. And if he's happy with never bringing his business to the next level, that's his choice.

My choice is to never order here again. Unless, that is, they get some more really cool stuff that I just can't get anywhere else... Damn it!

arch2b
2005.11.08, 09:14 PM
just so you know.... the cc option is right there on the checkout screen :rolleyes:

the shop's contact information was on teh shop page :confused: anyway, it's given on the bottom of every purchase receipt

shop.tinyrc.com
Phone: (734) 786-3740
Fax: (734) 327-0139
URL: shop.tinyrc.com

what_apex?
2005.11.08, 10:14 PM
just so you know.... the cc option is right there on the checkout screen :rolleyes:

the shop's contact information was on teh shop page :confused: anyway, it's given on the bottom of every purchase receipt

I appreciate your help, Arch. I guess I haven't been that far with the new shop yet, but I do look forward to bypassing PayPal. I still do not think the contact info availablility is enough as it now stands. What do you mean, "was on the shop page?" The "contact us" link goes to a form to fill out, but no number. Right - just like the email that goes unanswered? If I don't have the original order confirmation handy, I have no record of any phone number. Given the number of people posting "did you get my email?" I think others might be having the same problem.

Why don't we get an invoice with each order (in the box or package) stating what's there and what's not? Every single other place I've ever ordered from in my life has provided this.

I'm just thinking of the things that give me the warm fuzzies when I shop online or via mail order, and how this shop is missing a number of them. Make me comfortable and I'll spend money.

bolter9
2005.11.08, 11:29 PM
I didn't have any trouble finding contact info and visa payment in the shop.

I do have to agree with the email part though- I get replies about 50% of the time, which is no good when that's your primary method of contact- especially when I'm requesting an item that I'd like to buy through MZR out of loyalty (f1 RTR).

what_apex?, where in WA are you?

byebye
2005.11.09, 01:15 AM
I do believe that alot of those unanswered emails I've read in posts were not to ask "where my order was or is" but questions of "availability". Remember he is only one man and he has other sites to run as well. I'm not speeking on his behalf but based on the time I've been a member and what I've read and the service I've gotten from him it's never usually an issue of a lossed or misplaced orders. He does have a phone number and I've called a week before I left for baghdad and asked for overnight shipping and got it. I did pay the price but he is willing to work with you.

-Byebye

bolter9
2005.11.09, 01:57 AM
I do believe that alot of those unanswered emails I've read in posts were not to ask "where my order was or is" but questions of "availability". Remember he is only one man and he has other sites to run as well. I'm not speeking on his behalf but based on the time I've been a member and what I've read and the service I've gotten from him it's never usually an issue of a lossed or misplaced orders. He does have a phone number and I've called a week before I left for baghdad and asked for overnight shipping and got it. I did pay the price but he is willing to work with you.

-Byebye

phone number- that's a good point.

byebye
2005.11.09, 03:00 AM
I do have to point out that when I did call I was also instructed that the items I wanted were listed as "available" on the forums by mini-z but weren't listed in the shop(of old). I was then told to just order 2 ready sets at set said price and in the note to mention it was for the specific rtr's not listed but available that I was wanting. I guess in the end maybe your emails are not getting through but orders are getting fulfilled.

-Byebye

machine
2005.11.09, 03:46 PM
my feeling is every item for sale needs a picture.

I'm in total agreement on this. I've pushed the opening date of my shop due to lack of pictures.

Ok I do realize that it may be a one man show, and I do know how hard and how much time is needed for this part of Ecommerce so i'm not blow smoke just to exhale.

Cudos for what is done already, but IMHO I would like to have seen a shop that is more complete launched rather than what went up. Or at least open one shop at a time to get the ball rolling.

As far as contact information goes, email is fine so long as you reply asap, say within 12 hours. I leave my number off the website as well, can you imagine all the questions you'd get if you posted your number online? You'd be on the phone forever! My buisness cards don't even have a number on them, which is stapled to all my invoice/receipts. I do instruct my customers to email thier contact number so if a phone call is warranted I'll call them back on my long distance dollar not the customers.

what_apex?
2005.11.09, 07:57 PM
"what_apex?, where in WA are you?"

Lynnwood (north of Seattle). You?

bolter9
2005.11.09, 08:30 PM
"what_apex?, where in WA are you?"

Lynnwood (north of Seattle). You?

Walla Walla...Eastern part of the State.

I'm heading up the the mini z race this weekend in Vancouver.

Do you guys do any events over on the West side?

what_apex?
2005.11.09, 08:35 PM
Walla Walla...Eastern part of the State.

I'm heading up the the mini z race this weekend in Vancouver.

Do you guys do any events over on the West side?

A few years ago there were several tracks around my hometown, but most have fizzled and some shops are now out of business entirely. Too bad! So I basically have a bunch of money wrapped up in shelf queens right now. What's up with the race in Vancouver? A big Mini-Z event?

bolter9
2005.11.09, 08:51 PM
A few years ago there were several tracks around my hometown, but most have fizzled and some shops are now out of business entirely. Too bad! So I basically have a bunch of money wrapped up in shelf queens right now. What's up with the race in Vancouver? A big Mini-Z event?

Here's the link to the Vancouver race (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19670)

My wife is Canadian and her sister lives in Vancouver, so we go up there a lot to visit- may as well plan it around a mini Z race IMO!!

Dog boy Dave
2006.01.08, 10:45 AM
I am a newbie in the Mini Z scene. I have no axe to grind. I love the forums and have learned a lot from visiting here. I recently purchased a RCP track and was able to purchase it through this shop store. The service with the order was acceptable and I got it quick. But I put the order of for a full week because the forum store said the Mini 96 wasnt in stock. A forum post asking when it would be was never answered. I finally figure it out and ended up placing my order for a Mini L anyway. I have several cars and hope to purchase several more. I will try to give my business to this shop because I appreciate the forum and would like to support it. But I shouldnt have to "try". Truth is, I have a hard time finding items on the site and will likely purchase from somewhere else unless its something easy to find. Thats what I had to do for the Ma10 and about a hundred dollars worth of suspension mods ordered so far.
For my money, which is what we are really talking about here, the atomicmods web site is the best I have ever seen. Problem is they specialize in the Xmod and they dont have a lot of stuff for the mini Z. But their web site might be a source of inspiration if someone wanted to do it right.
A bunch of us here in Tallahassee have just gotten into the hobby. We are all constantly amazed at the lack of support. The local hobby shops has Kyosho but no Mini z. Everyone who sees our cars go goo goo. They want one, but the truth is they cant get one without a lot of hassle. Hense the Radio Shack thing. It doesnt compete but at least you can get one. Makes one kinda wonder if there isnt an opertunity somewhere for someone. Maybe even here.

arch2b
2006.01.08, 10:53 AM
thanks for the feedback

bolter9
2006.01.08, 11:43 AM
Everyone who sees our cars go goo goo. They want one, but the truth is they cant get one without a lot of hassle.

This has been my experience as well...

Ronin
2006.01.08, 05:26 PM
why don't we try to set up a forum-user parts post.

make a specific set up mandatory for the pictures, I'm sure size won't matter, arch2b and stuff can do resizing, if not make that a guideline.

Like this:
Background - White
Item - In package

and have some possible pictures of it out of the package, and anything interesting written about it.

One way to maybe get us to do this is offer us a few cents credit or something, for sending you a picture, plus description, and maybe even review!

I have not bought from here yet, but plan to get a track. I would be more than happy to send in some pictures from it, I don't even care about the money thing. Have an email address for us to send the pictures to, and our descriptions, and I'm sure many of us would help.

Heck, if I new more about HTML and such, I'd put in a good bit of time to help you guys out! I love this place. Always will, and I'd be happy to help get more customers to buy from you, and KEEP THIS PLACE ALIVE!!

P.S. - Sorry about the Novel I wrote. :D

Oh, and I'm sure some of you have reached down to pick up a dime or a quarter off the ground, maybe even a penny, what's any different about this, maybe you'll make a few cents by taking some pictures, and sending them in. Maybe then they'll get back to your emails.

arch2b
2006.01.08, 05:48 PM
we already have the gift certificate for hte best parts review submitted each month. the images are a nit more involved or is should say the process is. i'm sure you have noticed but it's getting much better on that regard.

i personally want to thank those that have complained/offered suggestions. good or bad, feedback is always welcome.

Spoon
2006.01.09, 12:21 PM
In response to Ronin and all other about helping. There is at least a little bit that the members can do.

As Arch mentioned, there is a section to review each of the parts. If there is something that you have (or information that you found) it can be posted in the review section. For example, if you know exactly which parts are contained in the Overland motorcase kit, you could take a picture, upload it to your gallery, post the info in the review, and post a link to the image.

If people want to help I think there's an option for all of us to improve the shop. If people think that MZR is a business and don't want to contribute for free, that's fine too.

I think this site is awesome because of all of the people that contribute. If you have some pics and a little bit of time, browse the shop for something that you own and post a review. It can be as simple as a decription of what's in the package and a link to a picture. If it's good enough you might win a GC.

:cool: