PDA

View Full Version : Firelap fets?

mattemann1
2005.10.22, 11:38 AM
Hi
I read in a post in this forum that the firelap esc has fets that are capable of handling iwaver's "x-speed pro" motor. The thing is i bought an esc board a while ago from rc mart because i fried my old one, the fets on the new board aren't the same as the old ones.
The fets on the new board are named: "SDM8401 - 38J63" and "SDM8401 - 3A301". Does anyone if this are the new upgraded fets that are good enough for the x-speed pro?

/Mattias

leonen
2005.10.23, 01:57 AM
Hi
I read in a post in this forum that the firelap esc has fets that are capable of handling iwaver's "x-speed pro" motor. The thing is i bought an esc board a while ago from rc mart because i fried my old one, the fets on the new board aren't the same as the old ones.
The fets on the new board are named: "SDM8401 - 38J63" and "SDM8401 - 3A301". Does anyone if this are the new upgraded fets that are good enough for the x-speed pro?

/Mattias

Firelap FETs are NOT capable to handle iPRo motor. just iPlus.

Firelaps ESCs alone are not for sale by itself

RCM has ESCs from the old IW02s which didn't go beyond the xSpeed motors capability.

The only models that handle iPro motors without upgrading are the IW01Pro and the Firelap 4.0.

saiyan
2005.10.23, 02:33 AM
There were a few limited release IW02s that had the pro fet. I was lucky enough to get 1, but i've not been to motivated to try the Iwaver Xspeed pro motor in it, though i have it. The motor is just sitting in my motor box, waiting.....

mattemann1
2005.10.23, 04:19 AM
Firelap FETs are NOT capable to handle iPRo motor. just iPlus.

I'm getting a little bit confused...why did you say that the new firelap could handle the I-plus in this post?

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=200383&postcount=5

byebye
2005.10.23, 05:32 AM
THe iwaver pro and plus are hot motors and you should always take caution when running those motors in any car, FET stacked or upgraded FET's. Technically you can run any motor on any stock car but remember that high current draw is what kills the FET's. My suggestion is to run lower gears like 6t and 7t pinions. Those can still kill fets depending on how hard you are driving the car through corners.

If all else fails you can get an Iwaver and give it a FET upgrade. 2x2 would be sufficient enough.

-Byebye

leonen
2005.10.23, 12:51 PM
I'm getting a little bit confused...why did you say that the new firelap could handle the I-plus in this post?

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=200383&postcount=5

What I'm saying in both posts is that iPlus motors are Ok for the Firelap.

Not the iPro.

But as byebye says, They're both hot motors. USE them with discretion. I mean, don't over drive them. Try to not use them on long timelenghts.... Also let them cool down after use. This will not only protect the motors, but also your car's life.

machine
2005.10.23, 03:10 PM
Here's a Iplus motor after a 300lap race. Avg lap time of 8 secs for 300 laps so I ran it for 40 minutes straight (I think thats right :rolleyes: ) and 4 battery changes.

The can and end bell are i great shape, to bad about the com and brushes. But the motors are made to be disposable, so i just popped a new one in and off i went.

Oh and i've got a 3x3 stack of 4562fets in my IW02, just to be safe.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.24, 06:12 PM
I know the "pro" model was quite a dream... but if you recall even those, which were meant to handle any hot motor, didn't always stay fet-blown-free. I lost the forward fets on IW-01 Pro with the Iwaver Pro motor. It's not a big deal... these cars were meant for tweakin' ... so grab the soldering iron, some Diasapram to steady your hand, and fet stack your beast. :D

machine
2005.10.24, 07:17 PM
Or you can get a turbo, same diff.

mattemann1
2005.10.25, 11:15 AM
What I'm saying in both posts is that iPlus motors are Ok for the Firelap.

Not the iPro.

But as byebye says, They're both hot motors. USE them with discretion. I mean, don't over drive them. Try to not use them on long timelenghts.... Also let them cool down after use. This will not only protect the motors, but also your car's life.

Thx for sorting things out :)
I have an Atomic ar30 in my car right now, getting an I-plus is not an option...

Hypocrisy
2005.11.02, 05:19 AM
i have tried the iw pro motor, it has absolutely no bottom end power, ther car has no speed the first couple of meters, but then it comes alive and at the mid and top register it just flies away! the motor i tried sat in a fet modded car and had a 7t pinion. cant really see the use for a pro motor unless its for just bashing around at large areas. on a track its quite useless because of the nonexistant accelration.
havent tried the i plus yet.. but i have a couple of iw x speeds (not the kyosho one) that i bought last year.. it has 40k rpm.. have 3 of them laying around here.. but havent tried them yet, dont want to blow my fets away just yet :)

machine
2005.11.02, 10:45 AM
I agree with the Ipro not being a good track motor, if your dragging it would be great cause it goes like stink out of a skunk.

The Iplus motor 30000rpm is my motor of choice with Iwaver. Great accelration and good track performance. Just make sure to break it in correctly.

leonen
2005.11.02, 03:40 PM
I agree with the Ipro not being a good track motor, if your dragging it would be great cause it goes like stink out of a skunk.

The Iplus motor 30000rpm is my motor of choice with Iwaver. Great accelration and good track performance. Just make sure to break it in correctly.

xSpeed motor is 30.000RPM requires no fet upgrade.
iPlus motor is 50.000RPM.... requires fet upgrade except on Firelaps and IW01Pro
iPro motor is 80.000RPM---.. requires fet upgrade except on IW01Pro

the xSpeed motor has not such power consumption as to burn common fets.

Anyway, as machine says: "Just make sure to break it in correctly." with any of these motors.

AND DON'T OVER USE THEM!!!! If they overheat.... the need more power to work, and .... ovbiously you will get your FETs burned! :cool:

Twenty-Se7en
2005.11.02, 06:45 PM
with turbo or FET upgrade and breaking in the Ipro gets good low end, more like an xspeed with 12t pinion... but it needs the right combo of fets and breaking in... not a simple motor to just buy

machine
2005.11.02, 08:41 PM
xSpeed motor is 30.000RPM requires no fet upgrade.

oops my bad lenon is correct.
:rolleyes: