PDA

View Full Version : FET Upgrade two part video

byebye
2005.10.23, 07:51 PM
I found the time to shoot some video of me doing a FET removal. I have attached pictures of the FETs after install and of the tip of the soldering iron. Yes I know the installed chips on the board look like arse. The idea is to take your time. Patience is the key to a good clean install. There are also tons of stuff you can do to clean the board up before you start. This was a down and dirty install video I just had to make. I put the car together after the video and ran it on the track. Much better :). All of my cars except my first Enzo are done by me.

Thanks for all the positive feed back :cool: .

-Byebye

FET upgrade video Part 1: removing the stock FETs (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album477/FET_upgrade_video_small.wmv)

FET upgrade video Part 2: installing the new FETs (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album477/FET_upgrade_video_part_2.wmv)

-Byebye

saiyan
2005.10.23, 10:29 PM
I'll be subscribing to this thread. :cool:

bda52
2005.10.23, 10:49 PM
Same here and this should be a sticky!!!!

Ibrake Ifry
2005.10.24, 12:09 AM
how long do you heat up the stock fets for?
from my experience if you heat the board up to much they will lift pretty easily :(
just my 2 cents

ct-mini
2005.10.24, 01:14 AM
Can't wait till part 2... Keep up the great work....

byebye
2005.10.24, 02:30 AM
how long do you heat up the stock fets for?
from my experience if you heat the board up to much they will lift pretty easily :(
just my 2 cents

I use a 35w iron and you hit each side and push lightly at the same time. Once the solder on the board is melting you move steady back and forth then it just melts(not breaks) loose then you just push it off the board. You don't want it to cool and stick to other parts.

Time may vary depending on how hot your iron is. I think people are pulling the pads when you pry on the board. If you notice I just push it off with out putting upwards pressure on the pads.

I hope it can be a very useful video to everyone wanting a little cheap speed.

-Byebye

Ken Mifune
2005.10.24, 02:51 AM
Nice video, byebye.
I said in another thread that I use a 30watt iron for FET removal, but I checked and it says 40. and the tip is similar to your "sharpened" version. Desoldering braid really speeds up the process but, just like in your vid, letting the iron do the work is key.
I look forward to your FET install vid (for me that's the easy part).
Good work.

byebye
2005.10.24, 05:27 AM
Nice video, byebye.
I said in another thread that I use a 30watt iron for FET removal, but I checked and it says 40. and the tip is similar to your "sharpened" version. Desoldering braid really speeds up the process but, just like in your vid, letting the iron do the work is key.
I look forward to your FET install vid (for me that's the easy part).
Good work.

Thanks!

I think the toughest first is just takin them off without damaging the board. The next toughest is stacking them since a single chip is just 'tacking'.

-Byebye

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.24, 06:15 PM
This is one of those additions to a fourm that makes a member great. Everyone and their dog wants to see ByeBye do a fet mod. From the GTGs we all have the idea that he is god of fets... now we know. :p

Supraman93
2005.10.24, 06:41 PM
byebye,

Excellent video and you make it look so easy. Can't wait to see part 2 and it might just give me enough courage to try a 4x4 oblique stack again without lifting the pads. ;)

bolter9
2005.10.24, 06:55 PM
Damn...I should've had some hip music going in the background- maybe that's why I lifted my pads :p

Thanks for taking the time to put that together!

byebye
2005.10.24, 07:23 PM
Hey guys! Thanks for the positive feedback. Any helpful hints and ideas are welcome. You've all encourage me to iron man it tonight and put the part 2 vid together. I'm off (3rd trip) to Bermuda again tomorrow for work. Tonights work will help me get some rest on the plane.

Stay tuned........

-Byebye

bda52
2005.10.24, 08:34 PM
I really have to get a job with you, to be 'forced' to go to Bermuda for work.....

byebye
2005.10.24, 09:26 PM
I really have to get a job with you, to be 'forced' to go to Bermuda for work.....

BDA baby! It's a tough life I know :rolleyes:

Well part 2 is up and at the beginning of the thread. Let me know what you guys think!

-Byebye

bda52
2005.10.24, 10:16 PM
Awesome work Bye-bye. That gives me alittle more confidence to attempt it myself, though I think I will try it on my old IW02 before messing with the MR-02s.

gasman1
2005.10.24, 10:34 PM
Great videos! Very nice job!

Ibrake Ifry
2005.10.25, 12:56 AM
good videos...using a 35 watt iron makes sense to me now since it should produce less heat than my 60 watt! :D

byebye
2005.10.25, 02:50 AM
Thanks everyone! I hope it was good enough to understand how to do it and give you enough instruction to actually do it. I shot the video on sunday night and total video was 13 min. There was also about 5 min I turned it off though to sharpen the tip of the iron. I shortened it to keep the download small. I have both videos in high quality large as well but those videos produced a 24mb file each. The quality is better but I think what I have uploaded will do just fine for now.

Another tip is don't drnk a cup of coffee just before you start. I was sweating and shaking LOL. Not a good mix when doing a FET upgrade.

Next episode: stacking!

-Byebye

HammerZ
2005.10.25, 03:35 AM
good videos...using a 35 watt iron makes sense to me now since it should produce less heat than my 60 watt! :D

A smaller iron works way better here than those big irons do. I think mine is a cheapo RS 25 watt iron. I remember the guy at RS asking me if I wanted a larger one with more wattage, and I said "no, this is just fine for what I want it for.".

Sometimes, bigger isn't always better. This is a good case for it.

byebye
2005.10.25, 05:21 AM
A smaller iron works way better here than those big irons do. I think mine is a cheapo RS 25 watt iron. I remember the guy at RS asking me if I wanted a larger one with more wattage, and I said "no, this is just fine for what I want it for.".

Sometimes, bigger isn't always better. This is a good case for it.

Same here until it just died. I then baought a weller but any ole 25-35 will suffice. Some times when it sits and gets too hot I unplug it and continue to use it. There are some high tech ones that turn off and on with temp controls.

This week I will work on a step by step and list of tools I use. The "How to" will be formatted so you read first then watch the video. It's the best I could do and I know alot of people really want to do the upgrade but there's no instructions with the chips.

-Byebye

HammerZ
2005.10.25, 05:44 AM
I figured my iron would have died by now, but it hasn't.

A good still shot of the board to show the chips on right, that is clear enough you can see the writing on the fets can help alot. I say this because the last fets I put on was the 7389 fets, those are marked with a dot on one end like the stock 3004 fets. Just an idea to make a very good tutorial even better.

byebye
2005.10.25, 06:42 AM
I figured my iron would have died by now, but it hasn't.

A good still shot of the board to show the chips on right, that is clear enough you can see the writing on the fets can help alot. I say this because the last fets I put on was the 7389 fets, those are marked with a dot on one end like the stock 3004 fets. Just an idea to make a very good tutorial even better.

I did take photos after wards and will add those to the beginning post. Thanks!
-Byebye

baldrick
2005.10.25, 07:36 AM
Great visual tutorial Byebye.

Did you use stock 3004's for the replacements or something else?

Thanks, Keith...

nutsfu
2005.10.25, 12:09 PM
This is soooooo useful.
Thanks byebye! :D

byebye
2005.10.26, 11:05 AM
Great visual tutorial Byebye.

Did you use stock 3004's for the replacements or something else?

Thanks, Keith...

I used 4562's from the shop. I'll have to have the wife email the after photos. Unfortunately my hotel room doesn't have internet so I may not be able to get to the write up this week.

-Byebye

byebye
2005.10.26, 01:31 PM
pics added.....

-Byebye

will3kgt
2005.10.28, 05:16 AM
I found the time to shoot some video of me doing a FET removal. I have attached pictures of the FETs after install and of the tip of the soldering iron. Yes I know the installed chips on the board look like arse. The idea is to take your time. Patience is the key to a good clean install. There are also tons of stuff you can do to clean the board up before you start. This was a down and dirty install video I just had to make. I put the car together after the video and ran it on the track. Much better :). All of my cars except my first Enzo are done by me.

Thanks for all the positive feed back :cool: .

-Byebye

FET upgrade video Part 1: removing the stock FETs (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album477/FET_upgrade_video_small.wmv)

FET upgrade video Part 2: installing the new FETs (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album477/FET_upgrade_video_part_2.wmv)

-Byebye
THAKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!
I've been waiting to see a FET upgrade video for I don't know how long. You don't even realize how many mini-zs & Iwavers you've brought back to life. (That's just my collection.) Thanks again. If there's anything I can do for you. (Parts, or whatever) Please email me.

byebye
2005.10.28, 07:36 AM
THAKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!
I've been waiting to see a FET upgrade video for I don't know how long. You don't even realize how many mini-zs & Iwavers you've brought back to life. (That's just my collection.) Thanks again. If there's anything I can do for you. (Parts, or whatever) Please email me.

Hey you're welcome:). This is geared toward the DIY's. The shop has the chips for so cheap and the work really is very easy(with a video and instructions). It's my gift to the forums ;) .

The only thing I expect is for people to take pics and video :D .

-Byebye

imxlr8ed
2005.10.28, 02:56 PM
Great vid... It's a great instructional ! About time someone did it !

But... (there's always a but) As an admiring, fellow board surgeon... I must say your technique is rather brutal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock you here... I'm just amazed about a few things. :eek: I will describe...

I only use a 25 watt iron with a very long, narrow tip... I heard high heat for extended periods of time decreased the efficiency of the fet... or was I instructed wrongly ? I remove fets one foot at a time, I apply the iron to the foot, and use a dental hook to lever it upwards slowly. (you sat temato, I say tahmahto :D )

Where did you get that iron tip... nasty ! I would say it's near impossible to install a triple stack with that, I'm sure you've done stacks... but I would bet it wasn't with that thang ! :confused: (if it was... you have jedi like control)

Why so much solder ?... I've never had to add solder to a single layer install, (stacks are a different story) I've always just used what was left on the pads after they've been smoothed, never had a problem !

Also, you can have a wad of solder on the "output" side of the fets, I've done stacks with "inline" connections, and some have the custom wad'o'solder down the back. (usually when I'm feeling lazy :o ) But you are absolutely right about the "input" side of the fet, I usually just pick gently between those with an exacto tip just to make sure there are no cross connections hiding in there.

Just a different style I guess ! (you big iron tip wielding savage you !!! :p ) Great job ! Wish I was more internet savvy so I could post a vid as well. Hey... maybe if you come across the pond again, we can have fet install races ! :D
Cya !

will3kgt
2005.10.29, 05:07 AM
Hey you're welcome:). This is geared toward the DIY's. The shop has the chips for so cheap and the work really is very easy(with a video and instructions). It's my gift to the forums ;) .

The only thing I expect is for people to take pics and video :D .

-Byebye
IT WORKED!.....Well, sort of. I did 2 x 3 fet stack this morning and when I did the motor test it didn't move then all of the sudden the motor came to life. So I turned off my car tried it again and the same thing happened....Oh yeah and my reverse doesn't work :o I'm going to try to resodder the fets again tommorow morning. Nevertheless, your video is the most helpful information I've recieved in my last 3 years of racing. Pictures will be forthcoming. Thanks again.

byebye
2005.10.29, 05:58 PM
Great vid... It's a great instructional ! About time someone did it !

But... (there's always a but) As an admiring, fellow board surgeon... I must say your technique is rather brutal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock you here... I'm just amazed about a few things. :eek: I will describe...

I only use a 25 watt iron with a very long, narrow tip... I heard high heat for extended periods of time decreased the efficiency of the fet... or was I instructed wrongly ? I remove fets one foot at a time, I apply the iron to the foot, and use a dental hook to lever it upwards slowly. (you sat temato, I say tahmahto :D )

I usually tell if I've over heated the board when I can feel it through my fingers. I don't usually keep it on there long when I'm installing the chips.

Where did you get that iron tip... nasty ! I would say it's near impossible to install a triple stack with that, I'm sure you've done stacks... but I would bet it wasn't with that thang ! :confused: (if it was... you have jedi like control)

I didn't prep the iron in the beginning of the video. I noted that in the middle of the vid. Normally I would make it much sharper. When it's sharper it makes it easier to get to the legs by the box.

Why so much solder ?... I've never had to add solder to a single layer install, (stacks are a different story) I've always just used what was left on the pads after they've been smoothed, never had a problem !

I like to make sure there is plenty there for a real good connection. When running hot motors thos legs and solder get very hot. I believe that the more solder you have the less resistance and the best connection possible. Also it's pretty much ready to add more chips. The reverse chip was a used chips so the legs weren't factory bent.

Also, you can have a wad of solder on the "output" side of the fets, I've done stacks with "inline" connections, and some have the custom wad'o'solder down the back. (usually when I'm feeling lazy :o ) But you are absolutely right about the "input" side of the fet, I usually just pick gently between those with an exacto tip just to make sure there are no cross connections hiding in there.

I know you can and the first time I did a FET upgrade/repair there wasn't a video on the net and I could barely find pictures. Everything I found showed it that way but I never kept them for reference. I figure you can't go wrong if you reinstall them the way they were when you started.

Just a different style I guess ! (you big iron tip wielding savage you !!! :p ) Great job ! Wish I was more internet savvy so I could post a vid as well. Hey... maybe if you come across the pond again, we can have fet install races ! :D
Cya !

I did the video instead of going to bed :o . I frequent the forums and alot of people were asking questions about FET upgrades. Everyone likes vids and I love making them so I thought I'd share my DIY upgrade.

I'd like to make another one. This time doing the removale/replacement/stack. It had been a while since I did an upgrade. I do all of my own work and most of the cars had already been done so I let my iron go to shat.

My goal with this video was to give people confidence and instruction to do it themselves.

-Byebye

byebye
2005.10.31, 07:58 AM
IT WORKED!.....Well, sort of. I did 2 x 3 fet stack this morning and when I did the motor test it didn't move then all of the sudden the motor came to life. So I turned off my car tried it again and the same thing happened....Oh yeah and my reverse doesn't work :o I'm going to try to resodder the fets again tommorow morning. Nevertheless, your video is the most helpful information I've recieved in my last 3 years of racing. Pictures will be forthcoming. Thanks again.

Let us know how it turned out.

-Byebye

imxlr8ed
2005.10.31, 11:05 AM
My goal with this video was to give people confidence and instruction to do it themselves.-Byebye

Well done, agree on all points ! We don't run too many hot motors here though, probably why I've never needed the extra solder. I have had feet come up before too, just a tap with the iron, and they're back to life. More than one way to skin a cat ! But when I saw the removal vid, and I saw that skanky soldering tip, humping the hell out of those fets, I was amazed ! :eek: (never even knew it was possible to do that !, though it would kill a board) I'd say your goal was more than acheived !

I wish this vid was out when I first started frying boards too ! (oh... so many fried, so long ago ! :D )

Thanks ByeBye !

Ninja
2005.10.31, 11:27 AM
you think his soldering tip was bad? LMAO my first FET job was a 2x4 stack on an 01, somehow I accomplished success with a wood burning kit ;) figure that one out :p

imxlr8ed
2005.10.31, 03:01 PM
you think his soldering tip was bad? LMAO my first FET job was a 2x4 stack on an 01, somehow I accomplished success with a wood burning kit ;) figure that one out :p

I got my current iron from, ughhh, I hate to say it... Walmart. It's a yellow plastic handle, 25 watt... came with this really narrow (1/8"dia), 1" long tip. Perfect for stack installs. Wood burner ?!?!... what next... MIGwelding ?!?! :D

HammerZ
2005.10.31, 07:52 PM
somehow I accomplished success with a wood burning kit ;) figure that one out :p

My soldering iron is almost like a woodburning kit tool, that is about how cheaply it is made. It works just fine for PCB work. I have said before that using a higher wattage iron like say a 60w is very much like doing heart surgery with a chain saw.

byebye
2005.11.01, 10:59 AM
........ But when I saw the removal vid, and I saw that skanky soldering tip, humping the hell out of those fets, I was amazed ! :eek: .......

I wish this vid was out when I first started frying boards too ! (oh... so many fried, so long ago ! :D )

Thanks ByeBye !

Yeah I realized it when I started to on the next FET. That's when I went and filed the tip down. It's not good to do that to a new tip, I think because it comes with some kind of coating already. You really have to 'tin' the tip well and the solder will heatup on the board quickly. I did find a new iron from RS that's switchable from 15w 0r 30w. It should work well for these applications.

I too wish there was a more thorough vid out. I'm sure most of us have seen the one that was out showing the removal and install. Mine was driven by the fact that mini-zracer.com needed one of our own we could refer to.

My soldering iron is almost like a woodburning kit tool, that is about how cheaply it is made. It works just fine for PCB work. I have said before that using a higher wattage iron like say a 60w is very much like doing heart surgery with a chain saw. LMAO!

I see that everyone improvises and that's what DIY is. Its just using what you can get your hands on and making it work. Back when I was really having a need for speed I was modding all my boards and removing FETs for different motors and setups. My tips were charp as needles and the iron I started out with just died before I left for London. I just threw away a tip that I sanded down to almost 1/4" long. I've scared up that little black box a dozen times but every install still works like a charm.

-Byebye

Ken Mifune
2005.11.01, 11:22 AM
...I've scared up that little black box a dozen times but every install still works like a charm.I've removed that black box to stack FETs. It seemed easier to me, especially on the mr-02.

byebye
2005.11.01, 04:21 PM
I tried it and was happy with the fact that I had nothing to run into. It was sorta of a pain to get the box removed though. It does really help though.

-Byebye

imxlr8ed
2005.11.01, 05:36 PM
I tried it and was happy with the fact that I had nothing to run into. It was sorta of a pain to get the box removed though. It does really help though.

-Byebye

Always wondered... never asked... what is "the box" ? Actually... anyone have a full diagram of the board, and what the individual electronics do ? Or is that proprietary stuff ?

HammerZ
2005.11.02, 12:30 AM
My guess is it is some sort of RF filter to guard the recever from the noise from the fets. I could be wrong though, I did say guess.

byebye
2005.11.02, 03:52 AM
I know there's some board schematic floating around here. On the iwaver board it's on the opposite side of the FETs so stacking is very easy. I don't think you can relocate them. I picked up some copper braid for cleaning solder mess. Never had much luck with them but I figure I would learn.

-Byebye

Roger
2005.12.08, 02:43 AM
byebye: Very kewl vids :)

byebye
2005.12.08, 09:44 AM
byebye: Very kewl vids :)
thanks!. I haven't gotten around to making a better video using the proper preperation but I'm sure it's helped some people.

You gonna FET stack the awd? Mine are at home right now(I'm in Germany) and I'm wondering how long they will last before I have to get the stuff to make them work?

-Byebye

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.08, 11:08 AM
excellent conclusion to the fet videos... That was a very nice and clean job... steady hands.

Has anyone tried a small piece of double sided tape on the bottom of the Fets so you don't have to hold them with the tweezers... also, does anyone use the "Cold Heat" iron ... burning up my board has always been a concern to me.

byebye
2005.12.08, 11:19 AM
excellent conclusion to the fet videos... That was a very nice and clean job... steady hands.

Has anyone tried a small piece of double sided tape on the bottom of the Fets so you don't have to hold them with the tweezers... also, does anyone use the "Cold Heat" iron ... burning up my board has always been a concern to me.

With a steady hand you can do it without tape or glue. In the beginning I used glue but after a few jobs I didn't need it. It does help strenghthen the bond to the board. I've used it ont he chips as well.

I think the cold heat tips is too big. I've seen them but from the commercial I think it is not small enough to work. Thanks!

-Byebye

bda52
2005.12.08, 12:53 PM
With a steady hand you can do it without tape or glue. In the beginning I used glue but after a few jobs I didn't need it. It does help strenghthen the bond to the board. I've used it ont he chips as well.

I think the cold heat tips is too big. I've seen them but from the commercial I think it is not small enough to work. Thanks!

-Byebye

Bye Bye is correct, Cold Heat is way too big to work with these little cars. You have to have the item your are soldering touch each side of the tip on those. Would never work for the FETs.

TuNeR1989
2005.12.08, 03:07 PM
May i add a opinion to this thread? :)

First off very nice vid byebye im sure it has helped many members and it is very well done.

I have a suggestion for people who are nervous about pulling there pads off.

Instead of heating up the legs and trying to remove the fet at one time.

Take a X-Acto knife and cut the leg off right where it leaves the black packaging.

After youve done this to all of the legs the black package should just fall off.

After that you can simply take your soldering iron and clean the pads off.

Walla.............................

byebye
2005.12.08, 05:42 PM
May i add a opinion to this thread? :)

First off very nice vid byebye im sure it has helped many members and it is very well done.

I have a suggestion for people who are nervous about pulling there pads off.

Instead of heating up the legs and trying to remove the fet at one time.

Take a X-Acto knife and cut the leg off right where it leaves the black packaging.

After youve done this to all of the legs the black package should just fall off.

After that you can simply take your soldering iron and clean the pads off.

Walla.............................

A very good tip that I personally have not tried but I know of members doing it. It's much safer for the board as you won't be exposing it so much to heat. The idea is to not pull on them and accidentally remove the FET pad on the board. I very rarely re-use my stock chips so this would be the way to go if thats the case.

-Byebye

Roger
2006.02.04, 05:58 AM
Byebye: You just moved from master to GRAND master :). I bow to you.

byebye
2006.02.04, 06:00 AM
Byebye: You just moved from master to GRAND master :). I bow to you.

Thanks Roger! :) :) :cool: :cool:

More vids to come......

-Byebye

will3kgt
2006.02.05, 05:10 AM
Are you doing a video on how to stack FETS anytime soon?

byebye
2006.02.05, 05:22 AM
Of course I just did a 3x2 and 2x2 yesterday and today but didn't shoot any video. I'll have to do one as per your request ;)

-Byebye

MagicMan
2006.03.11, 05:47 PM
byebye,

Excellent video and you make it look so easy. Can't wait to see part 2 and it might just give me enough courage to try a 4x4 oblique stack again without lifting the pads. ;)

supra man, i know this is quite some months later, but with my FETing experience, a Mini-Z board cannot handle 4 and 4 4562 fets, the most you can fet using 4562's are 4 on the forward, and 3 on the reverse, but even then that isnt necessary. Some of the hottest motors around only require you to have a 3 and 3.

A very good tip that I personally have not tried but I know of members doing it. It's much safer for the board as you won't be exposing it so much to heat. The idea is to not pull on them and accidentally remove the FET pad on the board. I very rarely re-use my stock chips so this would be the way to go if thats the case.

-Byebye

For removing fets, I dont like the idea of an exacto. Im sure it works, but god forbid it slips. I use a soldering iron, (thinner than the one in your video is more comfortable not only for stacking but even for removing) but I use a much different technique to removing the actual stock fet which is usable after I remove. I may make a video of this in the future, but I'll try my best to describe what I do:
I take an extremely small thin flat head screw driver, I heat up my soldering iron, and put a good amount of flux on the tip, I rest the flat head under the fet, and then I rest the iron on the 4 feet of the Fet and "GENTLY" put a tad bit of weight to the flat head as I heat up the 4 feet simultaneously. This will lift the fet (not the pads) a hair, then look underneath the feet to make sure there is no strand of solder still attatched. Now to the other side (other four feet of the Fet), just rest your solder (re-flux the tip) on those 4 feet, and push it off "GENTLY". Once you do this technique only one time, you'll see that a stock fet can be removed in a matter of seconds with "MINIMAL" heat. I have a crap load of stock fets saved from all the upgrading that I've done. Great for repairing stock boards that you dont want to upgrade.

Here is an old pic of a 4 and 4 fet stack that I did, this was when I found out about the Mini-Z boards not liking that extra fet on the reverse. You get serious twitching problems. It works, just not properly.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/MagicManRed/Mini-Z%2000/IMG_0839.jpg

There's a type of Fet that starts with a 7, 7xxx. These Fets have less amp's but are more stackable. Honestly I think they are a waste. If you can grab 4562's. and do a 3 and 3, you are golden.

Fet On! or Fet Off!

SaiTam
2006.03.31, 02:04 PM
Good write-ups and videos. I am going to do some experiments with a bad board now.

HammerZ
2006.03.31, 08:15 PM
I take an extremely small thin flat head screw driver, I heat up my soldering iron, and put a good amount of flux on the tip, I rest the flat head under the fet, and then I rest the iron on the 4 feet of the Fet and "GENTLY" put a tad bit of weight to the flat head as I heat up the 4 feet simultaneously. This will lift the fet (not the pads) a hair, then look underneath the feet to make sure there is no strand of solder still attatched. Now to the other side (other four feet of the Fet), just rest your solder (re-flux the tip) on those 4 feet, and push it off "GENTLY". Once you do this technique only one time, you'll see that a stock fet can be removed in a matter of seconds with "MINIMAL" heat. I have a crap load of stock fets saved from all the upgrading that I've done. Great for repairing stock boards that you dont want to upgrade.

I thought I was the only one to do the screwdriver under the fet trick.

MagicMan
2006.04.02, 09:48 PM
I thought I was the only one to do the screwdriver under the fet trick.

LOL, it's the best way once you know how to avoid lifting the pads ;)

SSJ Char
2006.10.18, 01:56 AM
nice video. my mini-z has been dead for... probably 3 years now, but i'm still too much of a pussy to do it. ive had these 2 4 stacks sitting in their static free bag for so long, i really want to play with my miniz again. its been oh so long.

byebye
2006.10.18, 09:04 AM
nice video. my mini-z has been dead for... probably 3 years now, but i'm still too much of a pussy to do it. ive had these 2 4 stacks sitting in their static free bag for so long, i really want to play with my miniz again. its been oh so long.

Thanks! It's a little rough but it's a basic idea of how to do it. I personally have not had success upgrading with a prestack set of FET's. I'm better off just doing it from the bottom up. Give it a try and let us know old timer ;)

-Byebye

lieland
2006.11.29, 07:10 AM
Awesome VID!!!! helped a great deal.

shuter
2006.12.24, 12:31 AM
byebye,

Great video, thanks for taking the time to share your expertise. I have just removed my 3004 fets in preperation for upgrading to 3010s. You talk about lifting the pads. What does that mean? Are you referring to the shiny elongated rectangles that the fet legs solder to? How can I tell if they are "lifted" and what happens if they are? Not sure if I have created a problem as a couple of the rectangles had no solder on them after fet
removal. I added some and they now look like the rest. Wondering?????

byebye
2006.12.24, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Okay when removing the FET you have to make sure that all the feet are heated and the FET slides off. If you put too much pressure on it or 'pry' at the FET you could rip the small connection on the board out. Sometimes when you remove the FET you'll see, on those rectangles you described, white pads. What has happened is it needs solder. I usually touch up the pad to make sure there isn't anywhite spots and so it will make a good connection.

I like to touch up the pads with a little solder before adding new FETs.

-Byebye

TheRinger
2007.06.13, 11:29 PM
Great video on how to do fets, it definetly cleared up alot of questions I had.

byebye
2007.06.14, 07:59 AM
Great video on how to do fets, it definetly cleared up alot of questions I had.

Thanks meng! I haven't watched it in a while but I need to make a newer one that doesn't have that medevil iron lol! :eek:

I'm glad that it's enough for peeps to give it a try themselves.

Kris

Tjay
2008.06.06, 01:35 PM
I did my second fet job last night and it works :D! My first one was last year without reading or doing any research and burnt my board :). Now with my new ASF I made sure I do everything right. So I read and watch videos :D. I tested with with my ohm meter and run power to it. Everything is working. We'll see how it is at the track later on today.

Thanks for the vid! After 3 years it's still helpful to newbies ;).

byebye
2008.06.07, 11:04 AM
Cool!!! It really is just a reference. Once you do a few FET jobs you start to get more comfortable and find better techniques.

Kris