PDA

View Full Version : Custom Max 4x4

dogred
2005.10.26, 10:21 PM
I have Taiyo Custom Max 4x4. There are a few upgrades that Taiyo made for it, wheels, springs and motors. I am currently going to do some major mods to it as far making it a speedy little hill jumper or maybe a Rally car. This thing has some power to it, I can drive it reverse and throw it into forward and it will do a huge wheelie, it really needs some wheelie bars.
I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this model?
custom max (http://www.taiyo-toy.co.jp/html/cm_red.html)

Twenty-Se7en
2005.10.27, 02:22 AM
What scale are they in? The bodies would be sweet on the MZM or Overland... or even a slammed version for the MR-015, MR-02

dogred
2005.10.27, 07:22 AM
I have Taiyo Custom Max 4x4. There are a few upgrades that Taiyo made for it, wheels, springs and motors. I am currently going to do some major mods to it as far making it a speedy little hill jumper or maybe a Rally car. This thing has some power to it, I can drive it reverse and throw it into forward and it will do a huge wheelie, it really needs some wheelie bars.
I do not know what scale they are in, but I have some pics.
rear (http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/6915/rccar0101wa.jpg)
top (http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1284/rccar0028yv.jpg)
right side (http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1458/rccar0012sz.jpg)
left side (http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/3985/rccar0035yt.jpg)
The batteries are AAA, it uses 4 of them.

arch2b
2005.10.27, 07:42 AM
it looks like a bastard copy of a monster with overland bodies. being 4wd would lend it to some nice modding for a much better quality rc possibly. i really look forward to seeing what you do with it?

how much do they cost? i happen to like the red h2 and red racing land cruiser :)

dogred
2005.10.27, 08:45 AM
I believe I paid 3000 yen or around $30. I am thinking of turning it into a rally car. Still don't know what I want to do with it. The chasis does not have enough articulation to turn it into a crawler. I think almost any motor will fit into it. I was think of starting off with the atomic mods rechargable battery upgrade. I was also thinking of getting a stiffer suspension and the optionof some smaller wheels just incase I feel froggy enough for road running. I originally bought it to chase around my daughter at the park.

ripper7777777
2005.10.27, 04:43 PM
This looks similar to what Toysrus has, the 1/24th Superslick, allthough this looks a little better.

akura2
2005.10.27, 09:06 PM
Now if THEY can do 4WD...why can't Kyosho?

akura2
2005.10.27, 09:07 PM
is it propo? (probably not)

easy
2005.10.28, 01:49 AM
Is it 4x4 though? I can't tell from those pics. Its not that Kyosho can't do 4x4 its why would they since you guys and everyone else buys the RWD OL and MZM? If people stopped buying those and bought these and the superslicks instead and modded those you can be damn sure there would be 4x4 OLs and MZMs on the market in a hurry. As long as people keep buying what Kyosho offers there is little incentive for them to change what they offer.

DM

dogred
2005.10.28, 02:14 AM
I do not understand what you mean by propo.
Yes it is 4wd, it had a selector switch, so it can run in 2wd or 4wd. I will take a pic of the front diff tomarrow. It has a cover along with the rear diff.

dogred
2005.10.29, 07:43 AM
Yes it is 4wd, it had a selector switch, so it can run in 2wd or 4wd. I will take a pic of the front diff tomarrow. It has a cover along with the rear diff.

Here is a pic of the body just sitting on the chasis. It will sit a little higher for proper operation of the wheels.
body (http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/7827/rccar9xq.jpg)

davkin
2005.10.30, 10:09 AM
I have Taiyo Custom Max 4x4. There are a few upgrades that Taiyo made for it

That looks like it actually has some potential.

This looks similar to what Toysrus has, the 1/24th Superslick, allthough this looks a little better.

Which looks similar to the MZM. :D This one does look better though, mainly because it doesn't steer by turning the whole front axle. That and lack of suspension is what kept me from buying the 1/24 SS MT. This one might be worth looking into though, but like he says, not as a crawler, maybe a high speed racer.

Its not that Kyosho can't do 4x4 its why would they since you guys and everyone else buys the RWD OL and MZM?

I agree. I for one have stopped giving Kyosho my hard earned $$$, but I'm in the minority. Seems like so many people buy whatever Kyosho shoves onto the market. Look at the new Mini-Z 4WD, another half-a$$ed design IMO but everybody is saying they are going to buy one. I thought Iwaver would wake them up and give them some real competition but Iwaver quality has been just horrid. So far Kyosho has no real competition in this market.

propo=proportional which means the throttle and steering act proportionately to your input at the controller. Most toy controllers are basically just switches, they are on or off, proportional allows you to steer partially or drive slow. For $30 it's highly unlikely that toy is proportional. If it is it's probably just a few steps rather than full proportional.

David

ripper7777777
2005.10.30, 05:34 PM
Which looks similar to the MZM. :D This one does look better though, mainly because it doesn't steer by turning the whole front axle. That and lack of suspension is what kept me from buying the 1/24 SS MT. This one might be worth looking into though, but like he says, not as a crawler, maybe a high speed racer.

No doubt Toysrus was copying the MZM, and it's an OK truck for 30 bucks, but I think it would make a better 4wd offroad racer than anything, just not enough ground clearance or articulation, but the steering is on knuckles.

The thing that impressed me with the SuperSlick MT 1/24th is some of the parts, like nyloks, metal knuckles, nice rims, good tires, very well done for toy grade, just not a very good trail rig, but I bet fixed up it could easily out perform an MZM on a loose sandy track.

and I to have stopped giving kyosho my cash, I picked up several SSMT 1/43rds and plan to build my own fleet of OL killers.

Come on Kyosho, time to step up.

So how can we get our hands on this rig?

arch2b
2005.10.30, 06:04 PM
and that is whats so great about modding :p takign something and making it better :cool:

dogred
2005.10.30, 09:55 PM
The front end is a very compley unit. The car is not propo. The rig I have, the ends of the axles are half moon shaped, with little nuts that hold them on tight. Is this the same for the mini-z's? I would really like to get some smaller rims.

bda52
2005.11.05, 01:45 AM
Any clue as to where in the US these can be found? I have tired to do a search on the web with no luck.

davkin
2005.11.06, 11:49 AM
You might want to get the Super Slicks 1/24 MT instead. You can get those at Toys R Us. Now that I have one I think it's a slightly better design.

David

bda52
2005.11.06, 01:38 PM
You might want to get the Super Slicks 1/24 MT instead. You can get those at Toys R Us. Now that I have one I think it's a slightly better design.

David

Picked one of them up yesterday, just need to get a board to mod it. I like that red LC body from on these though.

dogred
2005.11.07, 12:28 PM
The rig I have, the ends of the axles are half moon shaped, with little nuts that hold them on tight. Is this the same for the mini-z's? I would really like to get some smaller rims.

Can anyone answer this?

bda52
2005.11.07, 06:19 PM
Can anyone answer this?

No, it will probably not fit. Kyosho's are currently all RWD only. The rims only have 2 notches in them to match up with the diff. I think it would be pretty hard to mod them to make them fit your truck.

yamar6
2005.12.03, 11:01 PM
where can i buy oneI have Taiyo Custom Max 4x4. There are a few upgrades that Taiyo made for it, wheels, springs and motors. I am currently going to do some major mods to it as far making it a speedy little hill jumper or maybe a Rally car. This thing has some power to it, I can drive it reverse and throw it into forward and it will do a huge wheelie, it really needs some wheelie bars.

Ryutech
2005.12.04, 02:11 AM
I am currently going to do some major mods to it as far making it a speedy little hill jumper or maybe a Rally car.

Hey Dogred,
There's also a Rally car version made. Have you seen them around? If you were going to make a rally car out of it if might be easier to begin with that instead.

As far as being able to buy them in the States. I'm not sure you can, I could be wrong though. I see them all over the place here, but I'm also in Japan. *shrug*

Vagabond
2006.01.01, 04:18 AM
Saw that rc car here in Malaysia. Selling for around $25. There are 2 versions available, truck and rally car. Saw a Mitsubishi Lancer, Hummer and a few other designs. Forgot what are the shells available. Anyway, i seems to have a switch on the car to switch between 2WD and 4WD.

Initially i wanted to get one as the shell is quite nice and durable. But for $25, i would rather get some hopups for my GS mini SUT. I guess that this will have to wait.

landmine55
2006.01.01, 04:32 PM
whell is there a web site to link to because i culd use some of thouse

Vagabond
2006.01.02, 07:08 AM
whell is there a web site to link to because i culd use some of thouse

I don't think that Taiyo have a website. This rc car is merely a toy. Will need some serious upgrades to make it of hobby grade.