PDA

View Full Version : Body Dynamics?

HammerZ
2005.11.08, 05:52 PM
We did have an old thread on MR01 bodies, I think it is part of the FAQ section now. I figured we need one on all the newer bodies and the new chassis. There have been posts on if one body is better than another for racing. I have seen a few bodies and each one will make a difference. A few grams here or there can make a big change. I left off on another thread about the difference the 2003 Supra GT and the 350Z (Fairlady) can make on the same chassis. Those are the only ones I compared so far, I don't have scales ot anything to weigh the bodys with. Just put them on the chassis and run.

All I can say is looking at the 2003 Supra GT and the 350Z, the Supra is a longer body that has more weight that hangs over the front and rear wheels next to the 350Z. The Supra may be more stable at higher speeds, as the 350Z is more nimble in the turns. This is about the only comparo I can offer here. Both those bodies use the same RM L 84mm wheelbase MR02, I have used the same chassis with the same settings for both. After running the 350Z the supra feels like a dumbell layed on the chassis.

sorry to hijack things again, but i was wondering if the white viper handles well ? its unpopular in my hobby shop cos everyone is a japanese car fan except for me.

My experience with the Vipers are the roof is set back on the body, this makes for a rear weight bias. I have seen a number of racers love a rear weighted car for stability. I would like to see other comments on this subject.

reggiethedorf
2005.11.09, 04:35 AM
thanks hammerZ

here is a question that probably holds no answer : in everyones opinion whats the best handling RM white ASC?

byebye
2005.11.09, 07:06 AM
I've weighed most of my bodies and found little difference in weight. I think weight up top is a real factor to consider because it puts more load on suspensioin and tires. I've also noticed that my PN mm mount car needs very sticky rears to keep from sliding out. I also have the GPM mount on another car and it's not as bad. It's obvious to me that I have to setup the suspension differently. They are also running different damper plates.

To reply to Reggie I've always been impressed with the JGTC bodies. I run mostly mm bodies. The rm bodies I do run are the JGTC. My son runs an MR2 and it's probably the tallest of all the bodies but one of the lightest. I'll have to weigh that one.

-Byebye

Ibrake Ifry
2005.11.09, 09:12 AM
well at the local track by me we run on an rcp surface. The body choice actually has made a big difference in handling. Me and some buddies run a mix of bodies and have found out that the painted bodies are more stable on the track but a little slower and the autoscales tend to be a little quicker but less stable. If you compare the material used on the newer bodies to the unpainted bodies you would notice the unpainted bodies have a thicker more durable plastic, which is probably heavier. Somebody at the track is running a 1/25th revell plastic model body without the windows, which is super light, and actually does have slightly better acceleration than most other cars!

reggiethedorf: my favorite handling rm autoscale is definately the ferrari 360 modena. This car handles best if you convert to 94mm mid-mount with the 94mm disk damper.

saiyan
2005.11.09, 10:03 AM
reggiethedorf: my favorite handling rm autoscale is definately the ferrari 360 modena. This car handles best if you convert to 94mm mid-mount with the 94mm disk damper.

Ya, i love my Ferrari Modenas for racing too. It's low slung and fairly balanced from front to back. I run it in RM with 20* Atomics and a yellow spring on the rear shock and soft t-plate. I also use an Iwaver alloy pod and ball diff. I currently have an X-speed in there, but will be going back to a stock motor as i'm not skilled enough yet for the extra speed. I also like my Focus body on my MR01 cause it's got minamal overhang front and rear. This helps it get through the corners faster and i have been able to squeeze around other cars without getting spun from quarter panel contact.

Our other member Dink has tried several bodies and currently loves his Taisan Porche body cause "it handles the best so far", for him atleast. In 1:10 racing i've ran so many bodies that i could tell you wich ones to run givin your chassis and track set up.

Twisty tracks you want a body that'll flick easily, and faster tracks with lots of straights you would want a stable body.

If you're lookin for the best performance from your car at every race i think it would be best to have 2 or 3 bodies to pick from. In the end, i don't think there is 1 body that will work in all situations. I think it would be best to have a stable of bodies that you can use to tune to the track, just like you have different suspension parts for tuning. An example of this would be to say have an Enzo for high speed long straight away tracks and maybe a McClaren for twistier tracks. I used those bodies as example and have not raced either on myself, though i've seen them in action and have heard why some drivers prefer them.

byebye
2005.11.09, 10:14 AM
well at the local track by me we run on an rcp surface. The body choice actually has made a big difference in handling. Me and some buddies run a mix of bodies and have found out that the painted bodies are more stable on the track but a little slower and the autoscales tend to be a little quicker but less stable. If you compare the material used on the newer bodies to the unpainted bodies you would notice the unpainted bodies have a thicker more durable plastic, which is probably heavier. Somebody at the track is running a 1/25th revell plastic model body without the windows, which is super light, and actually does have slightly better acceleration than most other cars!

Tonight I'll weigh my wifes Murci auto scale and weight the Murci white body and should be able to tell if there is a significant weight difference. I have weighed both my gulf MCl body and my custom OW body and the difference was 1 gram.

-Byebye

HammerZ
2005.11.09, 11:14 AM
Bodies with offset wheels can also be a factor, like the Modena and Murcielago bodies. I am mainly looking at front to rear ballance from one body to another, yes high CG can be an issue as well. Wider cars to me seems to muliply the handling flaws in the chassis more than a "standard" width body like a Mclaren LM to like say an Enzo or Murcielago body. Good stuff so far.

saiyan
2005.11.09, 01:57 PM
Ya the Modena does come with off-set wheels, but they're for the MR01. On my MR02 i run 0 off-set narrows in the front and 0 off-set semi-wide wheels in the back and it's the same. The only thing that changes is the rear track width is actually narrower. This i think actually gives me more steering though. Yet something else to think about when choosing a body you want to run and it's effect on the handling.

byebye
2005.11.09, 03:33 PM
I weighed the two murci bodies and the white body was heavier by 1 gram with the parts still attached to the plastic mold pieces.

@saiyan- I have noticed alot that the mr-01 wheel offset is narrower than the mr-02 and I hate that but oh well. The mr-015 give you that flexability. I weigh my AE86 white body and the kyosho paperwork said MR-015 bodyset.

-Byebye

reggiethedorf
2005.11.09, 05:21 PM
Bodies with offset wheels can also be a factor, like the Modena and Murcielago bodies. I am mainly looking at front to rear ballance from one body to another, yes high CG can be an issue as well. Wider cars to me seems to muliply the handling flaws in the chassis more than a "standard" width body like a Mclaren LM to like say an Enzo or Murcielago body. Good stuff so far.
so wider makes for a less agile but more stable car, but i dont get why a wider car would bring chassis flaws out.

HammerZ
2005.11.09, 05:40 PM
A narrower car if it is tweeked a tiny bit is more or less drivable, with a wider car that small amount of tweek will cause more handling problems. The tweek is the chassis may have a tiny bit of twist in it. You look at wheelbase x track width, if the car is about as wide as it is long it has no idea which way is front (spin city). At the same time if you have a car that is longer than it is wide, again it is more stable.

bda52
2005.11.09, 06:02 PM
A narrower car if it is tweeked a tiny bit is more or less drivable, with a wider car that small amount of tweek will cause more handling problems. The tweek is the chassis may have a tiny bit of twist in it. You look at wheelbase x track width, if the car is about as wide as it is long it has no idea which way is front (spin city). At the same time if you have a car that is longer than it is wide, again it is more stable.

Not totally true. At least in 1:1 scale. I do not know if you remember back about 10 or more years to ESPN's Thursday Night Thunder. Back when that driver of the #24 was still in sprints. There was one car in the midget division, "The Munchkin". I remember it was blue. The wheel base was something line 1 or 2 inches longer than the tread width. Looking at it on the track compared to the other midgets, it looked like a box. It ran tremendously. High, low, anywhere it was put on the track it flew. It dominated the season and caused USAC to re-write the rule book to outlaw it. The next season saw the introduction of "The Son of Munchkin". It did not fair near as well as pappa Munchkin though.

A quick web search shows that Tony Stewart drove it in 2004. http://www.autoracingindoors.com/2004/ft_wayne/ In the pics you can see how much shorter it is than Dave Darlind's car in the upper pic.

HammerZ
2005.11.09, 06:16 PM
Sprint cars in an oval track? Those things run some crazy things like the "outside" tire is larger than the inside, and known for gettin sideways. Those things are made just to race in a circle. I have seen hobby stock dirt racing up close to know a few tricks. With Mini Z's you are looking at a road course car.

bda52
2005.11.09, 06:31 PM
Sprint cars in an oval track? Those things run some crazy things like the "outside" tire is larger than the inside, and known for gettin sideways. Those things are made just to race in a circle. I have seen hobby stock dirt racing up close to know a few tricks. With Mini Z's you are looking at a road course car.

eh, don't worry. I do not recall if the Munchkin even ever saw dirt. I know it ran at IRP. That is probably the only example out there.

Though I would love to see a 6-wheeled F1 Mini-Z chassis ;)

Really, I do agree with your previous post. Stock out of the box, with only a tire upgrade, the MCL F1 is the best handling car I have driven. Even better than my Enzo. I have hopped up almost everything on the Enzo now and it is my favorite ride.

I really enjoy the stock MCL. Obly upgrades I finally did to it is CF H-bar and stiffer front springs. Minimum expense for maximum fun.

imxlr8ed
2005.11.09, 06:53 PM
Love my RMs too much, probably just a mental block. (one of many)
I beat myself up with the MMs for a while, got one handling perfect for about a week, with a friction dampener and a few other tweaks, then the next week, it ran like a turd ?!?! So, handed it over to my nephew (GTA.45), he did his tweaks, now he's kicking my butt with it, every chance he gets ! :mad: Oh well, I drive more consistently with my RMs... And I have to say, my vote for RM out of the box handling has to go to my 575gtc, with my F50 a close second.

A little memory foam from an extra RCP tile and some hot glue, goes a long way ! :D

HammerZ
2005.11.09, 08:59 PM
eh, don't worry. I do not recall if the Munchkin even ever saw dirt. I know it ran at IRP. That is probably the only example out there.

Though I would love to see a 6-wheeled F1 Mini-Z chassis ;)

I think my main point is that a sprint car or an outlaw is an oval track car that is usualy sideways around most of the track. It would be nice to see a Tyrell P34 Mini Z, but I think if it was done it would be a one off.

Ibrake Ifry
2005.11.09, 11:00 PM
interesting bye-bye about the weight difference...i would like to know what a few layers of spray paint and clear coat would do? You think it would add a couple more grams(assuming they were thick coats)?

the wheelbase does actually have a large affect along with the track width.
wheelbase on mini-zs are a bit different than larger scale cars because if you extend an mm chassis for example you are going to reduce the weight on the rear axle and vice versa on the front wheels therefore increasing steering and decreasing rear traction(when a 102 mm car is tuned properly it really does do well!) trackwidth influences the amount of roll since widening the stance lowers cg. another consideration is the track width stagger. a trackwidth stagger such as 0 offset fronts and wide offset enzo rears works to give more steering also although i have never tried the opposite.

byebye
2005.11.10, 01:02 AM
interesting bye-bye about the weight difference...i would like to know what a few layers of spray paint and clear coat would do? You think it would add a couple more grams(assuming they were thick coats)?

I used an air brush to paint my MCl and my R34. The coats are always thinner than with a rattle can. I'm not sure how a few grams would affect handling. I did notice that the plastic windows weigh around 7-10 grams which I think is significant. I think if you can shave up to 10 grams on your car you will notice it.

-Byebye

saiyan
2005.11.10, 10:04 AM

the wheelbase does actually have a large affect along with the track width.
wheelbase on mini-zs are a bit different than larger scale cars because if you extend an mm chassis for example you are going to reduce the weight on the rear axle and vice versa on the front wheels therefore increasing steering and decreasing rear traction(when a 102 mm car is tuned properly it really does do well!) trackwidth influences the amount of roll since widening the stance lowers cg. another consideration is the track width stagger. a trackwidth stagger such as 0 offset fronts and wide offset enzo rears works to give more steering also although i have never tried the opposite.

Well i know that when you have an AWD and probably a FWD if the front track width ( the distance from center of laft tyre to center of right tyre ) is wider then the rear, it will give you more steering. In a RWD, im not really sure. My mini-z are the 1st RWD chassis i've owned. I had driven many befor, but they barrowed from friends for hot laps around the track. Something else is to think about drag cars and how the wheels are set up. The rears are so wide but very close together so the track width is very narrow, but the fronts are thin tyres (for weiht i know, but this still effects track) and are placed fairly close on a rail, but are wider on the cars. I'm not sure if the front wheels on the rails have a narrower or wider track then the rear, but obviously on the car chassis the front has a ton more track compared to the rear. And as i'm sure you all know you want stability when dragg racing.

I do know that my Focus on the MR01 chassis comes with the same offset wheels in all 4 corners. I switch them out for some 0 offset fronts and semi-wide rear tyres. This narrowed both the front and rear track width on the chassis. I went to this set up with 15* tyres from the stock tyres so i am unsure how it affected the steeering. I am planning to put some semi-wide wheels and tyres on the front to bring the wheel out from being tucked in. This will change the track width again and i'll be able to see how it changes the steering. Then i'll go back to the stock wheels with the 15* tyres on it to compare and see wich set up gives the chassis more or less steereing.

I also know that the F1 chassis is much longer then the MRs and i have tons of steering with the F1, more then my MRs.

With the 6 wheel Tyrrell were they trying to lessin the wear on the front tyres by doubling the contact surface? Was it just to be different?

bda52
2005.11.10, 10:50 AM
With the 6 wheel Tyrrell were they trying to lessin the wear on the front tyres by doubling the contact surface? Was it just to be different?

If I recall correctly, Ken Tyrrell designed it for both increased turning ability and increased tire wear.The theory being that four tires would have more of a contact patch than just two front tires. Also the heat in the tires would be dissipated quicker from smaller tires. Guess it kind of worked, it did run 1 - 2 in the '76 Swedish Grand Prix and Tyrrell finished third in the constructors championship that year. Remember back then refeuling in F1 was not allowed. The cars had to make the distance with fuel onboard. Any pit stop killed a teams chance of winning.

saiyan
2005.11.10, 11:49 AM
I was 5 when he did that so i don't remember. I have seen old footage thou back when speed channel was about all forms of racing and not the current Nascar channel that it is. I think the theory behind itr is sound and it obviously worked well enough for him, but i wonder what the drawbacks were that the other teams didn't start incorparating it in their chassis and why we don't drive cars with 6 wheels? In big rigs and trailers the double axles and extra tyres are for carrying more weight and dispersing it across them evenly. For example it would be easier for 4 guys to lift a sleeper couch then it would be for 2. I've seen some custom made tandem axle vehicles that where in shows, but were trailer queens to keep them shiny.

If someone were to build a custome F1 after the Tyrrell, it would probably need to have the steering fets stacked so the steering isn't slowed. Tamiya made an F1 Tyrrell for awhile and as i understand made a re-production run of it recsently. It's 1:10, but if i had the $ i would buy it just to see what the performance difference is. I've been wanting to get their AWD F1 for running at the LHS club races cause there is atleast 3 other guys that have them and it would be cool to run with them, especially after having run my mini-z F1 wich is my first F1.

On the subject of body dynamics and currently F1s, has anyone found the movable fin on the rear spoiler to affect the rear of the F1? The 1 on my older beat up Williams won't stay in position for me to know, but i will be running my new Jordan body at the next GTG and was wondering about it. The current 1:1 F1s don't seem to be running 2 wings/scoop surfaces anymore.

bda52
2005.11.10, 12:13 PM
I was 5 when he did that so i don't remember.

I was only 7 myself. I went to my first GP when I was 9 (USGP East). I just have lived and breathed racing since I was 3. Tend to remember more about racing from my school years than what I was taught in school. Plus, Jackie Stewart is one of my all time favorite drivers. Since he drove for Tyrrell, I stayed a fan of the team even when they fell to become a field filler. I was also, of course, a fan of Mario Andretti and the Lotus team.

As far as double element front wings on F1, they still have them. They have just been modified in the last few years. If you check out the link I posted in the other thread about the motorsports pics, take a look at the Chinese GP of this year. There are some good head on shots of the cars comming out of a corner on page 5. You can see the split in the wing.

As far as mini-z goes, I doubt it has much effect. I do not think the speed gets high enough to make the wings effective. If they did, I think one of the aftermarket companies would have produced adjustable front and rear wings for them. I know GPM made CF/metal rear wings but they are not adjustable. Also, looking at the pics of them there is no shape to the wing itself, the CF is just angled.

As far as the 6-wheeler. I believe it was banned from F1 in the 78 season. I would love to get the 1:10 re-issue myself. I just wish it had the '76 body style instead of the '77. I liked the Tyrrell's in full ELF blue.

ruf
2005.11.10, 05:34 PM
The Tyrrell P34 front wheels/tires were smaller for aerodynamics. The hardest part of the aero package on an F1 car is the open wheels/tires. Teams spend a good portion of the time trying to manage the airflow onto and over the tire to create the least amount of turbulence behind it. They had to go to 4 front wheels/tires to get the contact patch and steering back.

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/tyrp34.htm

bda52
2005.11.10, 06:21 PM
The Tyrrell P34 front wheels/tires were smaller for aerodynamics. The hardest part of the aero package on an F1 car is the open wheels/tires. Teams spend a good portion of the time trying to manage the airflow onto and over the tire to create the least amount of turbulence behind it. They had to go to 4 front wheels/tires to get the contact patch and steering back.

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/tyrp34.htm

Great link, Thanks ruf!

HammerZ
2005.11.10, 06:52 PM
Yes a very good link indeed.

Aerodynamics, I know we been through this many times on a car the size of a Mini Z. Do aerodynamics work on a car this size? Every time I look at an Enzo body I think that there may be something there. As low and wide as it is there has to be some downforce applied to it at speed. Other than that in most other cases it has to be small, I can't say it isn't there. A claim on the Atomic site on there dish wheels is on aerodynamic stability.

ruf
2005.11.10, 07:52 PM
On fullscale cars, dish wheels do improve aerodynamics. BBS used to run disks over the rear of their mesh wheels in BTCC. You don't do it in the front because you need the cooling to the brakes. For 1/10, the dish is just the strongest and has the most consistent flex. I dunno about on Mini-Z's.

When I put a lip wing on my Enzo, I ran straight off the track in the sweeper. Same setup, same everything. On a big track it matters. On a small track, not so much. I don't know that the shape of the body itself has that much of an effect though. We learned a lot in LA, some at the PNWC, some from the Magic Man himself at Kyosho. Some stuff to experiment with. Sometimes wider ISN'T better... ;)

lfisminiz
2005.11.10, 09:17 PM
Are you going to let us in on some secrets?

reggiethedorf
2005.11.10, 10:45 PM
the dish wheels are effectively aerodynamic cos they are spinning at speed sufficient to create drag. however, im not so sure about body aerodynamics, at speeds of 20 km/h, i dont think that the cars are large enough to be affected by aerodynamics, rather any kind of aerodynamic device you install will be effective because of weight, downforce only slightly

ruf
2005.11.10, 10:50 PM
however, im not so sure about body aerodynamics, at speeds of 20 km/h, i dont think that the cars are large enough to be affected by aerodynamics, rather any kind of aerodynamic device you install will be effective because of weight, downforce only slightlyI used to think the same. The thing that changed my mind was the lexan lip wings that we run. They have neglible weight, probably a gram at most. The effect in the high speed sweeper was impressive. Keep in mind that we run on 30-40' tracks here in Houston so the speeds get up there. In the low speed stuff, I couldn't feel a difference.

The ABS plastic wings are more for looks and weight in my opinion.

ruf
2005.11.10, 10:50 PM
Are you going to let us in on some secrets?Soon. Will wrap it up this weekend. I've got some time on the plane.

HammerZ
2005.11.10, 11:10 PM
I got to thinking of 1/32 and 1/24 scale slot cars. Those things have to have some aerodynamic advantage. If you think about this, those things are nothing more than a plate, motor, and wheels. The only way to keep them down at speed is downforce.

Mini Z's about roughly the same size do weigh in more with the batteries and self contained electrics. And a Mini Z isn't guided by a slot in a track, yes speed is a big factor here. A half a gram or less can mean the difference between holding the turn or slamming into a wall.

The spoke wheels next to a smooth dish wheel can cause a "ground effect" under that body lifting it at speed.

herman
2005.11.10, 11:17 PM
here's a link i posted from a h.k. site (you may be required to register) ... er ages ago...
http://miniz.hk.st/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1383&start=0

from the thread...
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8421&highlight=running+characteristics

as it is er old... so i think the bodies should be tested on the mr02 / mr015 chassis....

any test pilots willing to share their experiences? :D

reggiethedorf
2005.11.11, 05:56 AM
whats a lip wing ? the front wing ? what speeds can you hit on a track that size?

HammerZ
2005.11.11, 10:11 AM
When I put a lip wing on my Enzo, I ran straight off the track in the sweeper. Same setup, same everything. On a big track it matters. On a small track, not so much. I don't know that the shape of the body itself has that much of an effect though. We learned a lot in LA, some at the PNWC, some from the Magic Man himself at Kyosho. Some stuff to experiment with. Sometimes wider ISN'T better... ;)

From the way it was explaned, my guess is a thin wing at the rear of the car. Causing the front to lift up enough at speed, and straight into the outer wall at speed. Could also be the ground effect with the wheels, if it is a lip at the front.

here's a link i posted from a h.k. site (you may be required to register) ... er ages ago...

as it is er old... so i think the bodies should be tested on the mr02 / mr015 chassis....

any test pilots willing to share their experiences? :D

My idea with this thread is an update to that old FAQ thread, seeing as that is mostly MR01 cars.

ruf
2005.11.11, 10:19 AM
hammer - Yes it's a thin lexan lip. You can see it on some of our cars on the website. Doesn't really cause the front to lift, so much as the rear to plant so the front just plows off the into oblivion. I too was thinking of "wing cars" from slot racing. I've never raced slots, but those wing cars do look very cool and they do show that aero works at this scale, though I hope the cars never get THAT exaggerated. As for half a gram mattering... I might be a little ashamed of this, but we taped a penny or a nickel on TOP of the chassis (over the mini-z sticker) to make weight for the PN race. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference. :o I guess it was right on the COG. Weight BIAS is easier to feel a difference with though.

reggie - I'm guessing that with a really hot motor and a good run out of the last corner, we might be able to hit 20 mph at the fastest point on the straight before lifting for the sweeper.

HammerZ
2005.11.11, 10:41 AM
My MR01 F40 with a 3x2 7389 (old school fet stack), I don't have exact speed numbers. All I can say is it is ballistic at speed, but running slow at a tight track speed (running in the house) it is agile enough to turn. But outside on the street in front of my house, it is a whole other animal. The F40 is a funny body in a way that it is heaviest at the rear, the cars CG is very close to the rear wheels. I'd love to run a lip on the front to stick it down at high speeds, but on the street it would be the first thing knocked off (if I did that it would flip at that speed anyway). It is fast enough outside that I have to slow it way down just to turn. I have not added any weight to it, and the only thing to make it possably lighter is the mirrors have been knocked off long ago. I can go on and on about that car.

I thought about taping a piece of plastic from a Kyosho parts pack cut onto a spoiler onto the hood as an experiment to see if it is able to turn better.

ruf
2005.11.11, 10:52 AM
Oddly enough, we end up using the clear plastic outer boxes from autoscales and white bodies to make our wings a lot of the times. :p

byebye
2005.11.11, 11:05 AM
ruf-wings on top or on bottom? What about a front lip that extends to through the bottom first third of the chassis and say the same thing on the rear for negative downforce? I've weighed some of these bodies I have and have not really had a long enough straight to notice stability difference with or without a wing. I can tell you that on my track(8tx9t) a winged mclaren feels slower on the track than one without. The winged one does feel more stable but not as easy to throw around.

Also @ruf- Ever see a small speed checker? If and when I ever do get a chance to open my own hobby shop one thing I've always wanted was a long straight and a speed check at the end. I think that would be sooo coool!

-Byebye

ruf
2005.11.11, 11:25 AM
Wing on top. I personally wouldn't risk a wing on the bottom that might come loose and drag. These things don't have a lot of ride height and even RCP has its irregularities. I just don't like putting ANYTHING on the bottom of the car. We ran the CORE transponders (large) on the underside of the F1 and I had to scrape rubber build-up off of the outside sweeper corner after every run.

byebye
2005.11.11, 02:20 PM
This is what I did to my wifes Murcielago

-Byebye

EMU
2005.11.11, 05:44 PM
This is what I did to my wifes Murcielago

-Byebye
Have you noticed any difference? Did you get more steering out of it? I may try something like that with my Enzo... Thanks for the idea.

A few guys at my track use the lexan wings like what ruf was talking about (he raced with them in the PNWC). Its hard to tell if the cars are better, because they are excellent drivers. I have a few of the Atomic wings on some of my cars, but may start trying the small lexan/clear plastic wings ons some of my cars. I want to try it on my FC3s RX7 first and see if it helps.

byebye
2005.11.11, 05:54 PM
I haven't noticed anymore steering but It's not my car. My wife runs it and ran the same 18c tires for a really long time before I changed them out. It's a heavy body and a heavy chassis with the alloy and the tagu wheels. It's running an Anima right now. Anything with less power and it just doesn't jump off the line like she likes. I haven't tried it with my other cars but using lexan or some this plastic and mounting on to the existing screws is pretty easy.

-Byebye

reggiethedorf
2005.11.11, 07:35 PM
sorry im a little slow on the uptake, lip wings are what byebye has on his wifes green murcie ? im going to assume that they produce ground effects ?

new question - if i remove the window on a body, its lighter by 7-8 grams, but its also now draggier, but how much draggier? will it be worse than when i started off?

HammerZ
2005.11.11, 08:22 PM
I guess when you are adding wings and such, we are into mods to the body. I guess removal of the windows are the same thing, it will lighten the body and have more drag. One good thing here is the electrics get more air for better cooling. I think I remember seeing some old MR01's with large holes drilled in the body. My old Skyline R34, one of the first mods I made with it was remove the windows, then I cut them appart. Finally I epoxied them back into place with all the extra plastic trimmed away. It did give me a lower CG and a more stable MR01 with less weight in the roof. Without the windows in the body will be more open and what is getting under the car may be sucked out the top, or may be pulling in into the car. Ether way you look at it you may get turbulance around the body.

williams F1#3
2005.11.29, 04:20 PM
I've been thinking of getting a CF sheet and testing some ground effects type stuff (take some technology from F1 :cool: ), and make it compatible with a 1/24 slot body. It's in the concept stages.

PS: Does anyone know if the AE86 would fit on the 02(mm or rm)? Its been buging me for a while now...

bda52
2005.11.29, 04:28 PM
PS: Does anyone know if the AE86 would fit on the 02(mm or rm)? Its been buging me for a while now...

This link was posted by glenbo in another thread: http://www.atomicmods.com/Mini-Z_Body_Chart.aspx but the AE86 is not listed. :(

arch2b
2005.11.29, 08:47 PM
just for you ;) that is with 360 gtc wheels

herman
2005.11.29, 08:48 PM

check out the jap link below...

http://www.ros-speed.com/

and check out the garage in the ros-speed mini-z racing factory... there's an ae86 on a mr02... and a vitz on a mr02 as well...

i guess it could fit with the proper rims... :D

(i got a porsche taisan gt3 to fit on an mr02 - click on my signature to see my cars... its somewhere there)

Lionblade
2005.11.29, 10:10 PM
just for you ;) that is with 360 gtc wheels

Why have you left out a screw on the left side, and one on the right? Counterbalance?

arch2b
2005.11.29, 10:14 PM
just because it was a quick body swap, not ment to run. :p

reggiethedorf
2006.02.05, 09:32 AM
whats everybodys favourite 98 mm body ? in terms of handling of course ;)

byebye
2006.02.05, 09:38 AM
whats everybodys favourite 98 mm body ? in terms of handling of course ;)
Mclaren (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album477/MCL_ByebyeRacewayUK.wmv)

-Byebye

lfisminiz
2006.02.05, 02:18 PM
Maclaren and Atomic vds body.