PDA

View Full Version : Advanced chassis question ...

gulfclk
2005.11.10, 12:53 AM
Has anyone tried this?

On a normal Z, and all other projects I've seen like Pro-Z, Inzane, ... the steering bar between the 2 wheels goes behind the center line of the front wheels. I want to try and put it in front of the center line. So ... the results should be the same, and I know this has nothing to do with Ackermann, ..., but has anyone tried this already and did it work?

I'm planning on making one sick chassis, I to get everything the way I want it, I would need to make the steering like this ...

Ninja
2005.11.10, 01:20 AM
it is very possible, simply take the knuckle pins out, and slide them back in backwards, then put the knuckles on the opposite side :D at least i think it will work that way, my 02 is in the truck, so i cant look at the knuckles and see if they are symetrical

Ken Mifune
2005.11.10, 01:53 AM
The F1 has the steering bar in the front. It can be in front or back but I think the axles need to be centered or behind the kingpins.

ruf
2005.11.10, 08:11 AM
Ken is correct, I mentioned it in another thread somewhere. Your ackerman shoudn't be affected much but your axles shouldn't be in front of the kingpins or the car will tend to wander. Similar to caster, the trail will stabilize and "self center" the steering.

gulfclk
2005.11.10, 08:45 AM
Ken is correct, I mentioned it in another thread somewhere. Your ackerman shoudn't be affected much but your axles shouldn't be in front of the kingpins or the car will tend to wander. Similar to caster, the trail will stabilize and "self center" the steering.
That's exactly the answer to my question Ruf. I was thinking about making hte suspension that way, thought about the problems exactly like you mention, but than I saw it worked for the F1 so I thought I was wrong.

Anyway ... I think it will be done in the normal way. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Draconious
2005.11.10, 01:40 PM
My AWD chassis design, that I wont release... has it in front, ive gone through many issues putting it there... the pivot points on the nuckle have to be further apart than the pivot point for the steering, thus closer to the tire, makes it harder on some rims/tire sizes... less clearance.

ruf
2005.11.10, 04:50 PM
Use F1 knuckles. Atomic makes some aluminum ones that are compatible with MR02 springs, and the original design uses MR01 springs.