PDA

View Full Version : RCP Storage

Old Crow
2005.11.11, 08:41 PM
Can RCP tracks be stored in areas of extreme temperature ? Say a attic that gets 100+ degrees in the summer and below zero in the winter ? These tracks are great, but they take up a lot space. Thanks.

Dusty Weasle
2005.11.12, 02:40 AM
I donít know about the temperature range. Here in Phoenix the garage can get above 120f in the summer, so Iím sure thatís right out.

I have two Wide Lís and pictured here is how Iím storing them. Using this method, you can keep the rails on without the pins gouging the track above, keep the track from warping, and store it all in a neat vertical stack. The entire thing has a foot print of only 25Ēx25Ē and stands about 4ft high.

Youíll have slightly more work to do for assembly and break-down since theyíre not stored assembled in 2ís, but it takes less room and is easier to get through doorways and into the car.

herman
2005.11.12, 06:00 AM
hmm... put a lamp on top and it'll make a great conversation piece... :)

briankstan
2005.11.12, 02:15 PM
I donít know about the temperature range. Here in Phoenix the garage can get above 120f in the summer, so Iím sure thatís right out.

I have two Wide Lís and pictured here is how Iím storing them. Using this method, you can keep the rails on without the pins gouging the track above, keep the track from warping, and store it all in a neat vertical stack. The entire thing has a foot print of only 25Ēx25Ē and stands about 4ft high.

Youíll have slightly more work to do for assembly and break-down since theyíre not stored assembled in 2ís, but it takes less room and is easier to get through doorways and into the car.

that's a great way to store it.. I never thought about doing it that way.

TITANIUM
2005.11.12, 02:21 PM
hmm... put a lamp on top and it'll make a great conversation piece... :)

LOLOLOL!!!!!

briankstan
2005.11.14, 12:17 AM

just wanted to say thanks for posting this. it saved me lots of space... it takes a little room to store 5 wide L's. this sure helped.

thanks

Brian

bolter9
2005.11.15, 02:28 AM
Regarding heat- my garage hit over 100 every day from July-Aug, and I've had no problems with my RCP being stored in there.

Hopefully the same will hold true in January when tempatures range anywhere from 0-20. (or worse)...although I think heat would affect the track more then cold...

rharris
2006.02.16, 04:32 PM
The stacking Idea rocks. I have over 300 tiles now, and I can get them all in two stacks. I'm thinking of building roling boxes big enought to fit them stacked this way. Then we can take our track on the road by throwing the boxes in the back of my pickup.

Thanks again.

Draconious
2006.02.16, 06:13 PM
The biggest issue is stacking them flat and not on their side, or they will warp from gravity or heavy items on them.

Heat should not be a problem untill it gets over 150 degrees... i know for sure it will melt at 400 (heat gun) LOL...

Cold... I do not see any problem with them freezing.

anyone ever site a piece of a tile on fire? Just curious what the fire rating is on them :)

Twenty-Se7en
2006.02.19, 06:42 PM
I don't think that storing them in high tempatures out of direct sunlight would be a problem but I do know that setting them up in sunlight all summer long fades the hell out of them... :s

arch2b
2006.02.19, 06:43 PM
good thing mine are in teh basement with no direct sunlight hitting them :)

Dusty Weasle
2010.09.21, 04:54 AM
Been awhile, but in that time Mini-AZ has acquired a great deal more track! So here's a little update to show how we store our club's RCP:

For our large track days we use this trailer to drive it out to the community center. It uses the previously posted stacking method, but Hood and Joe have constructed this clever storage arrangement with some extra separations inside to keep our track flat and organized.

The boxes have our OLPS sets (we needed a lot of track for the Oschersleben layout that day), and we have even more stored at other locations!
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/DustyWeasle/Mini-AZ/AZGT%20Season%20VII/TrackTrailer_Pano.jpg

bermbuster
2010.09.21, 06:19 AM
Looks great.....
Im not sure what rodents you have in AZ....but here in the Northeast
we have field mice and I had my track nibbled on and basically destroyed :mad:
It was being stored in its boxes in my garage.....

imxlr8ed
2010.09.21, 10:41 AM
I have had some of my track for years now... and it shows. Was stored in hot and cold, got wet once or twice, used in direct sunlight, stored in random piles once or twice, vacuumed a few hundred times... my tracks been beat. Still works fine, still runs on fine. The sun is the best way to get "warpage" out of a tile or two. I used to put them out for a few minutes to "cook" the bends out.