PDA

View Full Version : Question! AD band and EX-10 Helio

lookinco
2005.11.14, 04:30 PM
I would like to get AD band and a EX-10 Helio for my mini-z but I am confused on some parts.

I know kyosho sells an AD band PCB for the mini-z. Does that include the AD band module for the EX-10? Does that include a set of AD band crystal?

I have 3 mini-z and am only planning to use AD on one of them. Is there an AM module for the EX-10 Helio?

If the AD band PCB set for mini-z includes the AD band module, then I would pick up a EX-10 Helio with the AM module.

Hope you guys could help.

lookinco
2005.11.14, 04:39 PM
After some more research, I found that the High Grade AD set (#15982) does include the AD PCB and AD module for the Ex-10 Helio. However does anyone know if that set includes the AD band crystal?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a good deal on a Ex-10 Helio with AM 27mhz module?

pchan0
2005.11.14, 05:06 PM
Yes, the AD band set includes one set of crystal. I don't know where you can find a good deal on a Helios but Ko Propo's own shopatron sells the Helios with AM module.

After some more research, I found that the High Grade AD set (#15982) does include the AD PCB and AD module for the Ex-10 Helio. However does anyone know if that set includes the AD band crystal?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a good deal on a Ex-10 Helio with AM 27mhz module?

arch2b
2005.11.14, 07:49 PM
just to clarify, for myself if not anyone else.... you can buy any helios nad you just have to buy the am module for z's? or are there helios just for am and fm?

briankstan
2005.11.14, 09:17 PM
I believe the only difference is the Module, FM module, AM module, AD band module.

my ex-10 helios came with the Mini-z module.

lookinco
2005.11.14, 09:47 PM
That's correct. All Helios are the same. The only difference is the module. Anyone know where I can find a better deal then KO Propo? :cool:

briankstan
2005.11.14, 10:05 PM
try the bay, and check you LHS, I found some at my LHS for $180. with the mini-z module. it sure is a great controller.

Sinister_Y
2005.11.14, 10:33 PM
FYI

I have the JR Z-1 and it's the exact same thing as the KO Ex-10. I use both AD band and the AM KO module to run my Mini-zs. The diff is the JR comes with 3 yr warranty and the KO 1 yr. Also the radio comes with the synthezed module and the KO just a plain old rx/tx combo. In fact, since the LHS could easily resell the synthesized module easy, I took the radio without the FM module and bought the AM (KO mini-z) instead with it. Just a suggestion though...

michvin
2005.11.14, 11:10 PM
FYI

I have the JR Z-1 and it's the exact same thing as the KO Ex-10. I use both AD band and the AM KO module to run my Mini-zs. The diff is the JR comes with 3 yr warranty and the KO 1 yr. Also the radio comes with the synthezed module and the KO just a plain old rx/tx combo. In fact, since the LHS could easily resell the synthesized module easy, I took the radio without the FM module and bought the AM (KO mini-z) instead with it. Just a suggestion though...
that's not a cheap radio, i must say.... one site has it for 339$!
kinda expensive, even compared to futaba...

Sinister_Y
2005.11.15, 07:41 PM
Hi,

It's cheaper than the KO!...at least in Canada

I got it for $340 cash deal Canadian, that's like $285 USD

Plus, your missing the point, the KO and JR have the high speed ability which other radios do not for Mini-z. That's why I sold my excellent Futaba 3 PJ...it wouldn't do AD band...

lookinco
2005.11.15, 11:34 PM
Hey guys, I went to a local RC shop and asked them about the EX-10 Helio and the Futaba 3PK. The shop owner told me that the Futaba 3PK is a WAY better radio and has more funtions (ex failsafe for gas cars). He also told me that a few people bought the Helio and were not very happy with it.

So I am stuck between the two radio again. The EX-10 Helio has AD band and also has HRS with MR-02 PCB. The Futaba is a pretty well known good radio.

Which one should I choose? The price between them is pretty similar.

michvin
2005.11.16, 12:51 AM
Hey guys, I went to a local RC shop and asked them about the EX-10 Helio and the Futaba 3PK. The shop owner told me that the Futaba 3PK is a WAY better radio and has more funtions (ex failsafe for gas cars). He also told me that a few people bought the Helio and were not very happy with it.

So I am stuck between the two radio again. The EX-10 Helio has AD band and also has HRS with MR-02 PCB. The Futaba is a pretty well known good radio.

Which one should I choose? The price between them is pretty similar.
First of, Futaba 3PK is defenitely NOT "WAY" better than helios. (guess which radio i have :) - wrong, it's 3PK) Functions wise - they are on the par. I know one guy - Willy Wong, don't know if the name rings the bell, but he's one of the best drivers in the country - he owns helios and he's very much satisfied.
KO Propo is not less well-known than futaba - stock radio for mini-z IS MADE by ko propo, for a start.
I preferred futaba because of it's feature that has nothing to do with functions: it's looks. If Helios would look less toyish - i'd take helios (not to mention that 3pk is ~$100 more expensive than Helios.
Ad band? what's so good about it? Why have it in the first place? Range? Both 3pk and helios (and significantly cheaper radios as well) will provide good range withou glitches.
Oh, and to make 3PK work with mini-z you'll need to get a module (additional 40$!).
This defenitely doesn't makes choice easier, but i think that it comes down to price and aesthetics.

michvin
2005.11.16, 12:58 AM
http://www.shopatron.com/index/166.0.1053.0.0.0.0
this is link to KO shop (EX-10 for mini-z), - 199$

For 3PK try t o wer
370$ with the module shipped

michvin
2005.11.16, 01:03 AM
Hi,

It's cheaper than the KO!...at least in Canada

I got it for $340 cash deal Canadian, that's like $285 USD

Plus, your missing the point, the KO and JR have the high speed ability which other radios do not for Mini-z. That's why I sold my excellent Futaba 3 PJ...it wouldn't do AD band...
Yes, that's an important feature. I could not find anywhere speed comparison between 3PK and EX-10 (or JR, for that matter). Futaba says that 3pk is twice as fast as 3PJ - that i can feel - i have both 3pk and 3pjs

Raman
2005.11.21, 04:50 PM
Hi Guys,

I have the Futaba 3PK with the AM module and my car glitches a lot with my MR-01. It mostly occurs from neutral to 5 or 10% throttle, so I am guessing that the Futaba Tx has too high of resolution for the MR-01..

wondering if anyone else is having similar issue with MR-02?

Raman

michvin
2005.11.21, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I have the Futaba 3PK with the AM module and my car glitches a lot with my MR-01. It mostly occurs from neutral to 5 or 10% throttle, so I am guessing that the Futaba Tx has too high of resolution for the MR-01..

wondering if anyone else is having similar issue with MR-02?

Raman
No. works fine with OL, F1 and MR02.