PDA

View Full Version : my custom painted epoch

arch2b
2005.11.15, 10:13 PM
just incase some don't know, we have yet another sister site ;)

epoch1-43.com (http://epoch1-43.com/forums/)

here is my thread (http://epoch1-43.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69) for the custom painted imprezza. these are rather a paint to paint being soo small. that and the plastic damages easily, especially when your using an xacto knife to cut mask tape

BLiND
2005.11.16, 03:52 AM
nice job, if you ever do something on that scale again try some "liquid mask" instead of masking tape, its 100x easier to work with!

just brush it on with a paintbrush, then let dry and trim out design with x-acto knife. spray, then peel off.

it works awesome, and I'm horrible at masking! The liquid mask 100% stopped bleed over that I used to get all the time with masking tape (paint running under the tape).

HammerZ
2005.11.16, 08:12 PM
I can understand the knife cutting into the body deal, I cut my patterns out using the clear box the body came in. With an Epoch body you may have to find something to cut the masking on. Liquid masks, I have had that pull off paint that was under it. Working with a tiny little body can be tricky. About the best liquid mask I have tried for small projects like this, for masking the lights on a bit body is Testors Clear Parts Cement of all things.

Ken Mifune
2005.11.18, 09:37 PM
Arch2b, It looks like you're ready for an airbrush. It will make the time invested in masking all worthwhile. At this scale, spray cans are alright for one color jobs but they just lay down too much paint for masked areas.
The red/white looks good. Sorry to hear about the black.

arch2b
2005.11.18, 09:42 PM
i'm sure an airbrush setup is in my future but unless i win the lottery, i'm stuck with rattle cans :(

i would sure love to have the added control an airbrush gives you. it would certainly push me to do more elaborate schemes and details.

HammerZ
2005.11.18, 10:11 PM
My blue Skyline bit I posted over on Tiny RC was done with a spray Tamiya laquer. The problem with laquer paints is the distance is critical for the paint, I sprayed it thin by holding the can away to heep the buildup down. The paint came out dusty, or it just rubbs right off every time I handle it. I can see how an airbrush can help out alot for something that small. It's in the skyline gallery in the Microsizers/ Bit CharG section.

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2741&perpage=15&pagenumber=28

May have to scroll down for it. Yes, the windows are rough. This was my first bit body I painted up.

fluffydawg
2005.11.19, 12:40 AM
Is there a website for a person to research these cars a bit more. I am trying to find out all the specs and pro's and con's prices etc for them.. I think they are pretty cool but don't want to sink the money into them if the performance isn't there initialy.

Thanks for any and all help

Fluffy

will3kgt
2005.11.19, 12:44 AM
I can tell you it's worth every penny you'll spend on it. I raced them today with our MI group of racers and we had a ball.

mini-z
2005.11.19, 01:17 AM
Is there a website for a person to research these cars a bit more. I am trying to find out all the specs and pro's and con's prices etc for them.. I think they are pretty cool but don't want to sink the money into them if the performance isn't there initialy.

Thanks for any and all help

Fluffy

fluffy:

just incase some don't know, we have yet another sister site ;)

epoch1-43.com (http://epoch1-43.com/forums/)

:rolleyes: ;) :D See also the Epoch section of TinyRC.com.

Yeah, that Epoch racing was great tonight, we should definitely reserve some track time for them next time, esp. if a few more people pick one up, which they can do here:

http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=261&catexp=261

;) :D

HammerZ
2005.11.19, 03:31 PM
I have a question about the chassis/ body sets, what all is there to it? Is it a complete chassis or would I have to add something to get it to run?

LBRC
2005.11.19, 05:11 PM
I have a question about the chassis/ body sets, what all is there to it? Is it a complete chassis or would I have to add something to get it to run?
All you need to get an Epoch chassis set to run is a Transmitter, crystal set, charger, and a power plug.

Almost any standard 27MHZ AM transmitter and crystal set will do. Then you need a charger capable of charging small battery packs (3.6v 120mAh) I use a Triton with a power plug purchased form Radio Shack for about a buck and your ready to race.

BTW with the Epoch batteries A nice peak charger like the Triton or Ice makes all the difference in the world.

HammerZ
2005.11.19, 05:35 PM
Thanks, I was wondering about the charging for these things. Far as TX'es I have both a KT2 and KT5 controlers, if the Epoch crystals will work in those. I have a duratrax piranha, in may be a bit much for this.

LBRC
2005.11.19, 06:23 PM
Thanks, I was wondering about the charging for these things. Far as TX'es I have both a KT2 and KT5 controlers, if the Epoch crystals will work in those. I have a duratrax piranha, in may be a bit much for this.

The KT-2 will work great, I seem to remember having trouble once trying a KT-5 but donít remember what it was. Have to see if still have one laying around and give it a try. As for crystals any standard 27MHZ AM set will work, i.e. Mini-Z, Iwaver, Mini-T, RC18T, your name it, even Xmods, the chassis set does not come with a crystal set.

As long as itís a newer Piranha it will work just fine. Try setting it for 3 cells and 0.3 amps to start keeping the peak sensitivity on the sensitive side. With the Epoch you will want a fairly fast charge so you can spend more time driving than charging, thatís why the 0.3 amp setting, but then you need to find a peak setting that cuts the charge off before the batteries get hot. Unfortunately with a stock Epoch the battery is not removable or even exposed so itís hard to tell when it gets hot.

HammerZ
2005.11.20, 06:14 PM
Instead of hijacking arch's thread I posted a new thread over on epoch 1/43 about this.

Here. (http://epoch1-43.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73)