PDA

View Full Version : stock awd best hop ups

glenbo
2005.11.21, 07:31 PM
I have the awd on order and trying to get some motor/ecs upgrades.
I know it's a new car but is there anything i should get?

HammerZ
2005.11.21, 07:34 PM
Bearings are high on my list.

bda52
2005.11.21, 07:48 PM
Tires, if the AWD is the same as the older RTR's the tires will be very hard. Great for drifting but not good if you are looking for traction on a RCP.

michvin
2005.11.21, 10:07 PM
Right, tires and bearings
i also got springs set. hope it includes both front AND rear springs....

Sinister_Y
2005.11.22, 09:02 PM
Bearings r included according 2 the kyosho japan website

HammerZ
2005.11.22, 09:16 PM
Just for the diffs I think, not the full set. Will those be with the readysets, I know it is with the chassis sets.

glenbo
2005.11.27, 11:32 AM
ok so what tires should i get? we race on carpet and the pepboys foam mats.
Is there a bearing kit for the ma 010?
is there a motor? board-fet ect. mod i should get with the car?

arch2b
2005.11.27, 11:37 AM
i would run the car 'as is' so you can get a feel for where you think it need improvement. only then will you have a clear idea of what hop ups to get for your track surfaces

in general, bearings are always a good thing :p i have no idea if they are the same size as the rest of the racers though :confused:

bda52
2005.11.27, 12:51 PM
in general, bearings are always a good thing :p i have no idea if they are the same size as the rest of the racers though :confused:

...and where they will be placed in the new chassis. I would assume that 2 bearings could be placed at the ends of the AWD's drive shaft. Then maybe 2 bearings per knuckle (kind of like the xmods?). It seems like 4 bearings are already included in the transfer cases, 2 front and 2 rear.

HammerZ
2005.11.27, 06:31 PM
is there a motor? board-fet ect. mod i should get with the car?

There is a special X speed motor for it, why it is special we don't know yet. The board is suppose to already have upgraded fets, what exactly the "upgrade" means is still unclear. Higher current handling? Smoother throttle response? Who knows. The AWD has more plastic driveline parts in the stock listing, so I would watch about using hotter motors right off like can be done with most other Mini Z's. I wonder how tough those parts are, and if upgrading to the stronger alloy cups and u shafts are in order. That can put a big dent in your wallet right there.

I like upgrading to bearings before putting in a hotter motor, this way I get more from the motor without the extra drag that can harm the ESC. Just look at the OL drivers, often they use larger tires and try to pull over rough areas, even the stock motor can cause enough load to burn the fets out. With even a simple X speed you are pushing load closer to the limit. Gearing has it's factor too.

HammerZ
2005.11.27, 07:51 PM
The holy grail of hopups for the AWD would have to be,,,, the one way front diff. I know I will have to have that on mine some time later, maybe sooner.

EMU
2005.12.04, 02:58 AM
Alloy dogbones! They are prone to slipping.

techno
2005.12.04, 05:42 AM
the bearings
you will need 8 xmod wheel bearings for the wheels and 2 racer wheel bearings for the drive shaft

bda52
2005.12.04, 09:32 AM
stiffer springs, stock ones are very very soft.

techno
2005.12.04, 10:58 AM
stiffer springs, stock ones are very very soft.
the 02 spring set will work on this

bda52
2005.12.04, 01:06 PM
the 02 spring set will work on this

Thanks Techno. I was going to ask about that.

techno
2005.12.04, 02:56 PM
I was wrong on the shaft bearing i belive its 2x5 mm and the wheels are 3x6 mm
i had some of those left over from a minix set or something sorry if i miss led anyone

EMU
2005.12.04, 04:10 PM
I was wrong on the shaft bearing i belive its 2x5 mm and the wheels are 3x6 mm
i had some of those left over from a minix set or something sorry if i miss led anyoneI got the Kyosho bearing set...
Shaft bearings are 2x5x2.5mm
Knuckle bearings are 3x6x2mm

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.04, 04:20 PM
That was a good guess Techno...

EMU what did you pay for your Kyosho bearings? Where did you buy them?

EMU
2005.12.04, 04:26 PM
That was a good guess Techno...

EMU what did you pay for your Kyosho bearings? Where did you buy them?
I got them from RC Kenon, and paid way too much ($38). I didnt know that they would only have 10 bearings... I could have used my Xmod bearings for the knuckles, and just find the 2x5x2.5mm bearings elsewhere... :(

techno
2005.12.04, 04:43 PM
I got them from RC Kenon, and paid way too much ($38). I didnt know that they would only have 10 bearings... I could have used my Xmod bearings for the knuckles, and just find the 2x5x2.5mm bearings elsewhere... :(
mini-z should put them together everyone wants them if he does it needs to do it in dry bearings and i know he will be fair on the price

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.04, 05:07 PM
lets hope that they are easy to find... I can't find **** in the new shop :(

HammerZ
2005.12.04, 09:43 PM
I did ask about that in another thread in the MA-01 section, My reply was that they are working on it. Kyosho has some very good bearings, may be a tad loose for my taste. But still those are not cheap by any means. I have always loved my TinyRC Dry Bearings, well made and at a price that is very hard to beat. I hope he would have the AWD packages soon.My Xmods and all the reast of my Mini Z's run them, hope to add those to my AWD soon.

I don't know why I call them TinyRC bearings, even my Xmods set came with a Mini-ZRacer header card attached. It is still proudly displayed in my Xmods case.

crazyracer
2005.12.05, 12:30 AM
Tires, if the AWD is the same as the older RTR's the tires will be very hard. Great for drifting but not good if you are looking for traction on a RCP.

AWD come with the tire is soft, like Kyosho 30 degree tire, I run stock with PN FS motor, the tire handling is so good.

The AWD come with HI3010 Fets, is same of AD brand ESC, but AD Brand is HI3010 2+2.

bda52
2005.12.05, 12:55 AM
AWD come with the tire is soft, like Kyosho 30 degree tire

Yes, I ended up posting that in the "review" thread, I think. I was totally shocked the tires were that soft! I guess Kyosho got too many complaints from its customers about the stock tire being too hard. The old stock tires are fine it you are running on concrete but not for carpet or RCP tracks.