PDA

View Full Version : Which ball diff?

ol modder
2005.11.22, 03:51 PM
Im buying a ball diff from rc mart and was wondering which is the best?
The Atomic ball diff is 15.67 or
the Topcad ball diff is 10.43 and you get a ball bearing 7pc set with it for much cheaper?

Which would u reccomend?
Thanks!

ol modder
2005.11.22, 03:53 PM
Also, my chassis has shattered near the battery terminals where the body mounts on my 02.
Where can i buy a replacment or a clear chassis?
Thanks!

Mazda787b
2005.11.22, 04:17 PM
I would reccomend the sop here for all your Mini-Z needs. I assume you are running an 02, am I correct? You cannot go wrong with the KYosho-branded parts.

bolter9
2005.11.22, 04:31 PM
I've used Atomic and GPM- both do the job well, but they're not as good as my Kyosho diffs...you get what you pay for.

If you do a forum search, you can find some good information on the technical differences between some of the primary brand ball diffs.

Ibrake Ifry
2005.11.22, 09:14 PM
one of the best ball diffs i have used is the iwaver ball diff...yes i say this with experience. Many people don't know this but it is an exact copy of the kyosho one. it does come with some type of grease packed in it but if you take it apart its best to leave it dry, also, If you got time on your hands than you can also lightly wet sand the rings with like 200 or more grit sand paper which will increase the smoothness slightly.
-I don't use topcad or gpm because i can get an iwaver diff cheaper and i've personally tried only gpm and they are not very good.
-Kyosho is the best and will always be the smoothest although an iwaver with sanded rings feels and looks exactly the same(1/3 the price too!) :eek:

Shaun
2005.11.22, 10:03 PM
I've tried the GPM diff with good results. The iWaver diff is also very nice, especially for the price. Very similar to the Kyosho diff.

michvin
2005.11.22, 11:15 PM
Kyosho.
DON'T buy topcad - mine never worked at all

gulfclk
2005.11.23, 12:42 AM
Kyosho.
DON'T buy topcad - mine never worked at all

I totally agree. Kyosho is the best, although some other might work. The big K is more expensive but worth every penny on balldiffs!

bolter9
2005.11.23, 02:19 AM
I should add- I've also got the reflex racing modified PN diff- it's as good, if not better then the Kyosho diff.

ol modder
2005.11.23, 11:53 AM
Thanks peeps,
Yeah its an 02 i have, so its between kyosho and iwaver diffs then. Ill check the shop out.
Where can i get another chassis too because mine has shattered and pretty much unusable?
Thanks,

Draconious
2005.11.23, 12:07 PM
the diff is the one part u dont want to go cheap on... get the kyosho, get it in THIS shop... and make sure u get one that fits the chassis your putting it on, 01 and 02 are not the same fit...

Shaun
2005.11.23, 12:19 PM
You can get the diff and the chassis from here.

http://shop.tinyrc.com

EMU
2005.11.23, 02:07 PM
The Iwaver diffs are good, not as good as the Kyosho's... but better than most other diffs. I would like to try an Atomic Diff soon. They come with Ti shafts installed, and are relatively cheap (around the same price as the Kyosho now <$30).

I have Iwaver diffs in 3 of my 02/015's, and Kyosho in one 02 and one 01 (its an 02 with an 01 motormount that uses an 01 diff) as well as one F1. The Kyosho are a little smoother, but with a little work, the Iwaver diffs can be made just as smooth (LAP the plates). In general, the smoother the diff, the tighter you can run it. Running a tighter diff gives less slip, and better acceleration. However if it is not smooth, then it will cause you to have inconsistant grip, which is bad.

I would recommend a Kyosho, and possibly the Atomic (havent tried it yet). Iwaver if you want to do some work to it.

Hypocrisy
2005.11.23, 02:12 PM
DONT buy the iwaver diff, me ans a couple of friends has a couple of them, and there is impossible to get them good, tried to wet sand the rings, cleansed and relubed everything.. changed the balls to acer racing balls, but it still feels like sh*t!
might be good if the gear is changed to a kyosho.

i have tried iwaver, gpm and 3racing diffs, and the 3racing is awesome! just take it apart, wetsand the rings, clean everything ,relube and put it togheter and its perfect! its as smooth as any kyosho diff, but at a 1/3 of the price. the gpm diff is loosening up all the time on the track. going to try and put a drop of very thin treadlock on the nut and see if it gets any better..

ol modder
2005.11.23, 04:13 PM
ill probly go for the kyosho diff then. It seems expensive to the others but at least ill have good performance and dont have to go to the hassle of fiddling round for ages to get it to work smoothly.
As for the chassis, i tried tinyrc and could only find an mr-015 chassis but not the mr-02!
Does anybody know where i can get one from?
thanks.

Shaun
2005.11.23, 05:13 PM
ill probly go for the kyosho diff then. It seems expensive to the others but at least ill have good performance and dont have to go to the hassle of fiddling round for ages to get it to work smoothly.
As for the chassis, i tried tinyrc and could only find an mr-015 chassis but not the mr-02!
Does anybody know where i can get one from?
thanks.

Try looking in the Misc. section on the 3rd page. They have the blue and clear chassis set.

Hypocrisy
2005.11.24, 02:49 AM
try rc mart . com
its my favorite shop on the net when it comes to mini-z parts

Draconious
2005.11.24, 05:57 AM
where to get it? click SHOP on this very page, up there at the top... all the mini-z parts u need. And the parts are located in the USA, not Hong Kong as the other so called shops are. Shipping tends to be a little cheaper in the USA, and should you need to send it back, it wont cost you $50 to return the item.

jaeneke
2005.11.24, 08:06 AM
same here about the iwaver diff, for 7 dollars(ex shipping) its works like a sharm !
i have a GPM diff and after 3 days of adjusting and adjusting i replaced my iwaver diff !
its sooo much better + the GPM diff is harder to maintain because the ball discs are wide open and that means cleaning after every run(if you want to do it right).

ol modder
2005.11.24, 12:38 PM
Thanks shaun, ive found the chassis so i can now gaet it ordered along with a kyosho ball diff.
Thanks everyone with helping me!
Cheers.