PDA

View Full Version : New Iwaver

Twenty-Se7en
2005.11.29, 10:12 AM
The new Iwaver's are in stock and I don't know what they are like... the last time I bought Iwaver, well, just read the Firelap Steering issue... anyway, anyone have any reviews or whatnot... maybe a link to some pictures.

machine
2005.11.29, 12:12 PM
I had one out the other day at my shop to test it out. I'll do up a full review later this week.

But i will say this,

The body looks great and sits right on the chassis
The tires are soft, I'd say 20deg.
The chassis is uber flexy, not sure how it will preform on the track
And
The steering twitch is gone, but another issue has poped up.

More on that later.

Westholm
2005.11.29, 04:50 PM
we've had them for a couple of months or so in sweden, and the car isn't really as good as it could be.

the steering servo is really slow, and the powerswitch is the lowest part of the chassi meaning the car might shut off if you hit a curb... on the ford gt they've had to raise the front of the body so the steering linkage can get clearance. I do think its a good desing but they messed the car up somewhere in production...

i really hope they've solved these issues when the car hits the states...

/ola

minizz.com
2005.11.29, 11:46 PM
Review of the new Iwaver (Article of Septembre 2005 from one of the first prototipes)
http://www.minizz.com/article471.html

Available in the spanish shops since 2 week ago:
http://www.readytoracing.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/40_22/products_id/316

bda52
2005.11.30, 12:40 AM
Also available in this forums shop http://shop.tinyrc.com/search.php?mode=search

leonen
2005.11.30, 06:52 AM
The new Iwaver's are in stock and I don't know what they are like... the last time I bought Iwaver, well, just read the Firelap Steering issue... anyway, anyone have any reviews or whatnot... maybe a link to some pictures.

We recieved a car about two months ago. We made some tests and I wrote a review for our site (http://foros.ath.cx/forums/675/ShowPost.aspx), which then I translated it into english and published it here: http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19392

We liked the car very much. It's fast, it's agile, it performs very nicely, and it even has such a closed turn radius it make a 360 turn in less than 12 inches!

The guys in Spain madea review similar to ours, but the guys in sweeden didn't like the car at all. They thrashed it!...... opinions....

I'd say.. just try it.

Bones696
2005.11.30, 08:12 AM
One cool new "feature" ...

The way the motor pod is mounted on the rear of the car makes it possible to use a MR02-RM body, and some of the wider MR01 bodies as well, with the motor still mounted in the MM or mid-motor position. The same setup appears to be able to "shrink down" to mount bodies that would normally have the motor mounted in the medium position on the H plate.

I have a Mercedes DTM body (MR01 - long/wide) mounted on the chassis at the moment with the motor pod in the MM position. I had to trim the body side mounts a little, but not enough to make it unusable on my Kyosho chassis.

About the steering servo ...

I haven't had much oportunity to run it on the track yet so I cant really say if it's slow or not but ... it is very "tall" in the front end of the assembled car. I've seen an article online about folks cutting into the Ford GT body for servo clearance and I can say from first hand observation that the Saleen body barely clears the servo / tie rod as well.

The front of the Saleen rides pretty high in the stock setup. You cant lower the body on the chassis any at all or it will bind at the top of the servo / tie rod loop. You also cant shim the front suspension to lower the car in the front because that raises the tie rod into the body.

The Mercedes DTM body has PLENTY of room under the hood for the steering servo and I plan to try out some of my other spare bodies (Vette C5r, Enzo, Diablo, etc) as well. The Saleen and Ford GT bodies that come with the new chassis, while nice (very nice actually), lack space for ride height adjustment at the front of the car.

p.s. for those wondering about wheel offsets ... the Saleen had 0 (zero) offset wheels on the front and rear with wide rear wheels. (fits the Mercedes DTM body perfectly after adjusting the motor pod position)

blakmoose1234
2005.11.30, 04:43 PM
can you fit a hs-55 servo or something in there as well as say, a micro ESC and reciever?

blakmoose1234
2005.12.25, 07:01 PM
excuse the double posting and off-topicness, but help?

Ronin
2005.12.25, 10:06 PM
you might be able to, but the servo is 4-wire, not 3 like normal hobby servos. stupid if you ask me. mine works great though, wish I could solve the high front body problem, but it works great otherwise.

blakmoose1234
2005.12.26, 03:23 PM
you might be able to, but the servo is 4-wire, not 3 like normal hobby servos. stupid if you ask me. mine works great though, wish I could solve the high front body problem, but it works great otherwise.

I meant like replacing the Iwaver electronics and servo with hobby grade ones.

I'm not stupid :(

Mazda787b
2005.12.29, 01:37 AM
My friend is taking his lightly-modded one to race with us at the GTG on Friday. I can tell you that with all iWavers, the gear diff sucks.

He will be running iWaver ball bearings, Kyosho MR-02 Ball Diff, Ford GT body, iWaver 20* Tires (FRONT), Atomic 10* Radials (REAR), and an Atomic BB Stock Armature in an Xspeed can.

I will let you guys all know how it turns out.

will3kgt
2005.12.29, 02:04 AM
I can't wait to see it. I took mine back today because it was a piece of crap. I didn't even run it for 15 min before the servo got stuck. Every single Iwaver they that came into my hobby store has come back. I can't defend or buy Iwavers anymore, I will only buy kyosho's.

Mazda787b
2005.12.29, 03:51 AM
One of the guys in his flying club workds at Rider's in Canton, so he got the discount. I doubt it will be that great with the stock bits on it, it will probabally need some work. But I like taking junk and making it into something cool.

You guys thought my Purple Xmod Evo Firebird was crazy, wait until you have seen what I ended up doing to it :D.