PDA

View Full Version : How to make the monster keep up with LST?

3115ultima
2005.11.29, 06:18 PM
my friend got a mini LST truck and he can smoke my mzm I was wondering if there would be a way to make my truck hang with his or even pass him?

TNB
2005.11.29, 09:19 PM
Duck tape it to the front of the MLST. ;) Even if you made your MZM faster, he should be able to make his MLST faster and the MLST should be easier to control at higher speeds especially on rougher terrain. Another option may be to get a CEN which ships with a 540 motor. I own all three: MZM, Losi Mini-LST, and Cen Mini Madness.

soyverde
2005.11.30, 09:31 AM
Well, we can't all maintain a collection like yours, TNB. :D

There are plenty of upgrades out there if you have the patience to search for them (fet stacks, mod motors, lithiums), but as TNB said, your friend will always have a more stable platform for upgrades, so any advantage you gain might be short-lived.

michvin
2005.11.30, 01:09 PM
kicking mzm really hard using your foot or something heavy will do the trick also :D

3115ultima
2005.11.30, 04:39 PM
well I guess i could also drag it behind my T-Maxx, i know his MLST wont keep up with my Maxx

On a different subject...
which motor would you guys recommend? I want something with torque, speed, and lasting batterys. I know I can't have all. I was thinking of some mild motor like the Kyosho X-speed but I think id rather have ball bearings, are BB's better?
Ive got a 2x2 stack of the 4567s so something mild shouldnt hurt that.

14u2catch
2005.11.30, 05:27 PM
race your friend in the livingroom. you can turn on a dime. he can bounce off the walls.

HammerZ
2005.11.30, 05:45 PM
well I guess i could also drag it behind my T-Maxx, i know his MLST wont keep up with my Maxx.

You may want to tie it down, but here's my solution. The Clod has an EVX speed control and Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motors. I don't know if it is faster but it is a wild ride. An X speed with a BB case works well. I still don't know how fast the MLST is, so I can't give a comparo on that.

TNB
2005.11.30, 05:50 PM
well I guess i could also drag it behind my T-Maxx, i know his MLST wont keep up with my Maxx
That might depend on the brushless motor he installs the next time around. That is one thing that also sets the CEN Mini-Madness apart since it ships with a 540 motor--which means a Novak, Hacker, etc. brushless system will drop right in.

3115ultima
2005.11.30, 06:03 PM
well i doubt itll keep up, I have a OS .21 in my maxx and its been clocked at 63.4 MPH and Im looking into getting a New Picco .26 to drop in...
I heard some where maybe my LHS, that the stock MLST goes about 20mph or so....

How much would that cost for a X-Speed and a BB case? wouldnt it be like 25-30 bucks or so? I want to stay 20 or below....

3115ultima
2005.11.30, 06:07 PM
race your friend in the livingroom. you can turn on a dime. he can bounce off the walls.

till he goes through the wall.....WHY IS THERE A HOLE IN THE WALL???? :confused:

TNB
2005.11.30, 06:11 PM
well i doubt itll keep up, I have a OS .21 in my maxx and its been clocked at 63.4 MPH and Im looking into getting a New Picco .26 to drop in...
I heard some where maybe my LHS, that the stock MLST goes about 20mph or so...
Of course, no one is really writing about "stock" in this thread. Minis have been clocked at 60+mph with a little-itty-bitty brushless motor. For that matter, the current record is or at least was held by an electric--111 mph--again brushless. Just curious, where does one RACE a T-Maxx that fast? What's the name of the off-road track?

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/MLST_387_CenCompare1.jpg

pHREDD
2005.11.30, 10:14 PM
I have a OS .21 in my maxx and its been clocked at 63.4 MPH

And I thought I poured it on thick and heavy :rolleyes:

3115ultima
2005.12.01, 12:15 AM
Of course, no one is really writing about "stock" in this thread. Minis have been clocked at 60+mph with a little-itty-bitty brushless motor. For that matter, the current record is or at least was held by an electric--111 mph--again brushless. Just curious, where does one RACE a T-Maxx that fast? What's the name of the off-road track?

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/MLST_387_CenCompare1.jpg

I dont race at a track very often, I drive my maxx where I feel like and my brother has a friend who has a radar and we got it and checked it...

TNB
2005.12.01, 02:46 AM
Does it have a three speed transmission?
What is the gearing?
Size of tires?
Photo?

My T-Maxx is a dog.

Here is a photo of it before I dropped a larger engine in it.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/RC5MT84_1.jpg

byebye
2005.12.01, 04:49 AM
My monster has a x-peed pro and 3x2 FET stack. It's pretty quick but I don't think thw stock gearing can get high enough. Probably with Lith. it could be much faster. I don't have the area to run it that fast.

-Byebye

miniznewb
2005.12.01, 08:12 AM
well i am recieving a monster with all alloy, v2,lipo, and a nml v3although only 8 min run time its is inb the 30s in speed

3115ultima
2005.12.03, 09:02 PM
Would a 2x2 stack for the 4562s make the monster better even if it has the stock motor? Or should I stick with my 2x1 or 1x2 stack of the 4562s?

T-Bolt
2005.12.29, 03:36 PM
2-3 li-pos, an Atomic Mods V2.2 or Nelly Deluxe (1.3 if you're using 2 li-pos), bearings, and a PN Racing Anima will smoke that MLST, even if he swaps to a mamba. You're gonna break parts. Personally, go buy a MiniZilla, drop a mamba 8000 and 3 li-pos in it with a 15T pinion, new bulkheads and CVDs, and you'll have an indestructable truck that'll outrun any MLST. The MLST I found was very fragile. I raced one, and the kid driving backed into a curb (100% stock) and broke the right rear knuckle.

kehern15
2005.12.29, 07:17 PM
You can try putting in Lithiums, a Whoa Nelly Turbo (whatever is the latest version) and a plasmatomic. Just putting in the plasmatomic motor is supposed to make your z go +40mph in a racer, so that cant be far of in a monster.

TNB
2005.12.30, 11:05 PM
2-3 li-pos, an Atomic Mods V2.2 or Nelly Deluxe (1.3 if you're using 2 li-pos), bearings, and a PN Racing Anima will smoke that MLST, even if he swaps to a mamba. You're gonna break parts. Personally, go buy a MiniZilla, drop a mamba 8000 and 3 li-pos in it with a 15T pinion, new bulkheads and CVDs, and you'll have an indestructable truck that'll outrun any MLST. The MLST I found was very fragile. I raced one, and the kid driving backed into a curb (100% stock) and broke the right rear knuckle.
Personally, I don't run a Castle Motor in my MLST. However, it does have an AON brushless motor and a 3-cell Lipo in it. One problem the MLST has is the stock diff gears. Right now I am using a Mini-T ball diff for the center and Losi is shipping the MLST upgrade package for "FREE". And though my M18 still has a CM2080 in it (which is actually the 8000Kv motor since the Mamba-25 is the speed control), most of my other minis are running AONs. I also doubt very much if a MZM would keep up on the track I run at and I do own three MZMs.

Here are photos of my MLST and KMI in the AIR, not breaking or breaking backing into a curb.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/FL_423_MLST1.jpg

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/KMI3.jpg

T-Bolt
2006.01.02, 09:39 PM
Personally, I don't run a Castle Motor in my MLST. However, it does have an AON brushless motor and a 3-cell Lipo in it. One problem the MLST has is the stock diff gears. Right now I am using a Mini-T ball diff for the center and Losi is shipping the MLST upgrade package for "FREE". And though my M18 still has a CM2080 in it (which is actually the 8000Kv motor since the Mamba-25 is the speed control), most of my other minis are running AONs. I also doubt very much if a MZM would keep up on the track I run at and I do own three MZMs.

Here are photos of my MLST and KMI in the AIR, not breaking or breaking backing into a curb.

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/FL_423_MLST1.jpg

http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/album284/KMI3.jpg

I'd actually run a hyperion in a MLST, but I was talking about my Minizilla, bwhich is significantly lighter than the MLST. On a track, I agree, the MZM has no chance ever keeping up with any 1:18, but I gather the thread starter means on a street in a straight line.

As for reliability, I am disappointed with it. Some trucks seem to be really strong and whatnot, while others seem to be lemons.

P.S.- My M18 also has a mamba in it, and I love it.

rustler08
2006.01.23, 12:50 AM
P.S, your M18 weighs around 1 lb. A MLST is double that.

And as of now, the newer MLSTs have stronger diff gears in them, so no more stripping.

T-Bolt
2006.01.23, 10:48 AM
P.S, your M18 weighs around 1 lb. A MLST is double that.

And as of now, the newer MLSTs have stronger diff gears in them, so no more stripping.

Actually, I've heard more than one story about them stripping. Just because losi issued an upgrade doesn't mean it's fixed. My friend got the new hexes and new wheels, and broke 1 new wheel already.

rustler08
2006.01.23, 07:22 PM
Well I never said the hex and tire issue was fixed. I said the diff teeth are now made of a tougher plastic, and won't strip as easily as the originals

stocker_z
2006.01.28, 11:17 AM
No, it's the same plastic gears (slightly beefier), but you boil them (made of nylon) and they become nearly indestructible. People are running DUAL brushless motors and not stripping gears. The wheels break, big whoop, just stick the 4 new ones that losi sent you for free on it. I own an MLST, i no longer have a problem with plastic as mine consists predominatly of alloy parts :p . Caw hexes and axles give you the ability to run 2.2" wheels so they are no longer a problem... Just work round it man. :o :rolleyes:

Mine:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9420/dscf00522of.th.jpg (http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00522of.jpg)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3624/dscf00468pb.th.jpg (http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00468pb.jpg)

TNB
2006.01.29, 01:05 AM
People are running DUAL brushless motors and not stripping gears.
The person I know running dual CMs also doesn't run on a high bite surface. Myself, I've trashed diff gears on high bite and not on low bite surfaces. Consequently, it probably depends on how loose the slipper is and the type of surface ran on much as Xray doesn't recommend using an M18 front-one-way ball diff on high bite surfaces.

stocker_z
2006.01.29, 03:07 AM
kinda odd having a Mini-Lst for running on high bite surfaces... I mean a mini-t is smaller, lighter and faster so surely that would be the choice for high bite surfaces (not to mention the Mlst traction rolls like a biatch if you don't have the 5mm extension kit) I got my Mlst for running on dirt and loose surfaces as it is 4wd, and is weighty enough to find decent grip. Another thing that makes me sceptical of people having all the problems is that whilst i run stock drivetrain for the moment (some pretty hefty dual brushed motors going in soon) i have had NO problems with diffs, parts breaking etc. All i did was set the mesh in the gears up properly when i got it with silicone grease and chain lube oil (high tack) and have not had to open them up since, now I'm on my 30th or so pack. Better than the stories of people stripping the diffs 2 metres into the first run don't you think?

Also the point is that I know Mlsts running dual bl motors with the stock open center diff that are wheelying, so they must be getting good grip not to piss all the power away.

TNB
2006.01.29, 03:06 PM
You may be skeptical, but apparently Losi isn't or they wouldn't be providing free upgrade packages.