PDA

View Full Version : How do I go slower?

Wavy
2005.12.01, 06:26 AM
Okay, so I have an 02 with 4562 fets (singles, just replaced the stock fets) and we race on RCP. Our tracks are usually pretty technical with lots of turns and maybe one or two straights. The whole track is 14 tiles by 10 tiles. With any upgraded motor like x-speed or especially a 3racing speedy motor, my car is too hard to control to make smooth laps. I can actually turn better times with a stock motor, but I'm looking for something in-between. I bought a pn ball-bearing can and put in a stock armature, but something was wrong and it kept slowing down, then speeding up. I've since found an article on how to do the conversion, so I'll try again. Anyway, I use an 8 tooth pinion and I'm wondering if some other size would help. The problem I have is: with the upgraded motors, I get from corner to corner too fast and I can't seem to feather the throttle lightly enough. I feel like a sixteen year old kid who just hopped into an F1 car. I'd rather push the limits of the car, than have a car with power I can't take advantage of. I know most of the problem is my lack of practice time, but there you go... Any suggestions? :eek:

byebye
2005.12.01, 06:32 AM
Upgrade to a better tx. I run a Helios ($199). 10 mode memory, and you can adjust both steering and throttle. On my new layout(HFAY track 3) My fastest car from the previous layout was the slowest. I had to dial back the throttle from 90(150 being the highest) to 55-60 and steering needed adjusting as well with sticky front tires to get it through the switchbacks. I'm tenths of a second difference between a stock motor and hot motor. Having the adjustability helps a ton and takes seconds to adjust rather than minutes trying to find the right gearing.

-Byebye

Wavy
2005.12.01, 07:45 AM
Ahhh... okay. I run a 2PL, don't know it very well, but I think it might have some adjustments for throttle. I know it does for steering and they work well. I'll spend some time playing with that. If that's not the right tx I'll keep looking. Thanks! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

byebye
2005.12.01, 07:50 AM
EPA is what it's called on that one I think? It dials the throttle back. That's what you need to do. The Helios has a throttle and steering curve adjustment as well as EPA.

-Byebye

bolter9
2005.12.01, 10:55 AM
ha! after reading the first post, I was going to sugest a 2pL, but sounds like you have it covered.

Byebye's got the right idea- just dial the throttle EPA back a little. That way you don't have to alter the mechanics of the car, and you'll still have the speed available if you want it.

Em&em
2005.12.01, 03:47 PM
ever think of a Xpeed in a BB can? should run well,between the stock Xspeed and SPeedy motor.

Spoon
2005.12.01, 03:56 PM
I agree that the 2PL does the trick. Have you also considered installing a 6tooth pinion? Either one should do it for you. But I recommend spending some time with the 2PL. It's really nice to get it dialed in.

herman
2005.12.02, 01:24 AM
change pinion to a lower number like 7t or 6t...
and adjusting end points of throttle...

looks like everythings been covered...

one more suggestion, which might have some getting used to...
maybe you could dial in some drag brake everytime you let go of the gas...

a good run-in stock motor goes pretty fast... maybe you should break it in...

funny i havent experienced anything between a stock and x-speed...
usually when you practice, you'll outgrow the stock motor and want an x-speed...
after more practice you'll want a more faster motor than an x-speed...

maybe you should of stayed with stock fets and an x-speed???

just kidding...

hope this helps...

Wavy
2005.12.02, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the help, I feel pretty stupid after looking at the manual for the 2pl - it is so easy to just dial back the throttle! I have the 3racing speedy installed, so as I get comfortable I can crank it up as fast as I want. I definitely want something faster than stock, so I'll start there. I'm sticking with an 8 tooth for now, but I may go with a 7 eventually, depending on the track. I really appreciate it. The transmitter adjustment was something I hadn't even thought about.

Roger
2005.12.03, 02:49 PM
Looks like everybody is on the same page :). Everybody is right. Throttle high points ( EPA's) and smaller pinions.

SaiTam
2006.01.17, 09:51 AM
Or use a worn motor.

Looks like everybody is on the same page :). Everybody is right. Throttle high points ( EPA's) and smaller pinions.

Z_408
2006.05.02, 05:32 PM
Does anyone know if they make a 2PL but analog? Also to use the 2PL, I just just put the Mini-Z crystal in it?

thanks.

Or use a worn motor.

Spoon
2006.05.02, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know if they make a 2PL but analog? Also to use the 2PL, I just just put the Mini-Z crystal in it?

thanks.

I think the 2pl is only digital. THere is probably some other model of Futaba that's analog...but why not just use the KT-5?

and yes, just put a crystal in it. You will need to look at the manual a bit to figure out how to set the trims though.

Z_408
2006.05.03, 12:30 AM
I am looking for a cheap TX with EPA. Any Suggestions?

I think the 2pl is only digital. THere is probably some other model of Futaba that's analog...but why not just use the KT-5?

and yes, just put a crystal in it. You will need to look at the manual a bit to figure out how to set the trims though.

soyverde
2006.05.03, 08:53 AM
Well, the iwaver and firelap controllers have EPA, and they are certainly cheap, but having had one die on me, and having opened up two of them, I can tell you the build quality is terrible. As (I think) spoon once said on this forum: you generally get what you pay for in this hobby. Aside from the iwaver/firelap controllers, the Futaba 2PL is probably one of the cheapest 27mhz AM digital controllers with end point adjustments.

MINIz guy11
2006.05.03, 02:51 PM
how bout the airtronics mx-a? that looks good but i want more info on thaat

SuperFly
2006.05.04, 04:24 PM
how bout the airtronics mx-a? that looks good but i want more info on thaat

I have the MX-A and really like it. In addition to throttle EPA, it also has a setting called ARC, which alters the throttle (or steering) response curve, which is sort of the best of both worlds. You can set it so the first 3/4 of your trigger travel only goes between 0 and 40% (or whatever) of power, and the rest is at the end of the pull. That way, you still have max power and speed available for the quick blip down the straightaway, but have a much more controllable car in the turns.

My biggest complaint is that the model memory only allows you to use numbers for each car rather than 3 letters or something more desriptive. Pretty minor annoyance, and wouldn't be a problem at all if I only drove one or two cars.