PDA

View Full Version : Iwaver (firelap) disaster ... never again

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.05, 12:01 AM
I have a video and picture event of how my Firelap went from the box to not turning and ending in it's chassis completely cracked and shattered when I wasn't even around it.

Check it out in my gallery
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/album751

I will never buy Iwaver again!

El Tigre
2005.12.05, 06:29 AM
Are you for real? This thing just spontaneously deconstructed itself? Are they really all plastic chassis? I thought they had carbon and aluminum parts? Anyway, how is the reception and steering compared to the previous Iwaver stuff?

will3kgt
2005.12.05, 08:21 AM
I can say that after driving a mini-z MR-02, and after the problems I've had with my Iwaver, I will never buy another Iwaver again until I hear they've improved their product. The only advice I can give is to buy a Kyosho MR-02 skeleton chassis and put the ESC Iwaver board in it.

michvin
2005.12.05, 09:08 AM
The "QC passed" sticker on a crack looks pathetic.
I've made the conclusion "Never Iwaver" when it appeared. Not likely that i'll change my opinion any time soon

Draconious
2005.12.05, 09:20 AM
At least I dont have to post how chincy they are now ;) they sort of say it for them self... but I tried to stop ppl from buying them... oh well. from your photos its obvious its NOT made of plastic its made of molding resin (well they did copy the molds)... and yes I have held and seen an I waver 02 in person... the very same one that caused a black out area on the track under the so called wonderful digital transmitter, were all the other cars would glitch like crazy... cuz it was bleeding into all the other channels.

I waver = "I waver my rights to quality" its sort of toy easts joke on the usa.

Shaun
2005.12.05, 09:43 AM
Man! You have really had some bad luck with Iwaver. I've been running an Iwaver for a while with only a small steering issue to complain about. It was fixed in minutes. I have run my Iwaver with others with no problems. I even bought an extra Iwaver 02 chassis set for $30. It works great too.

I guess "QC" Quality Control is an issue that Iwaver needs to address. Seems to be very hit or miss right now. I guess I've got very lucky with my Iwavers. But honestly, if I had the trouble that some people have had with Iwavers I believe I would only run Kyoshos. Much higher level of QC at Kyosho.

I now have 2 race-ready Iwavers.

machine
2005.12.05, 03:34 PM
Have you tried to return it for a refund or exchange from were you bought it from?

Like Shaun i'm running 2 firelap 02 and a new Iwaver 02 at my races (well the new Iwaver hasn't race fully yet) and have not had any problems with erception of the car itself. I did crack my chassis once, replace it, but that was due to a massive car pile up in the sweeper. there are quite a few guys that run Iwaver/Firelaps in my area and no real issues other than setup and getting used to the car.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.05, 04:08 PM
I am for real, yes. I figured out how the damn thing errupted while I wasn't near it and this is going to make you laugh. The pressure of the batteries in the car... yes, the batteries sitting in their holders put enough pressure on the chassis to shatter it. It is insane. I have calmed down a little but I am still pissed.

I purchased it from TE and shipping it back and getting a refund would cost me more than it's worth. At least I have the transmitter...

As for alloy or carbon parts... there were alloy king pins and screws (which came PRE-STRIPPED I might add) ... no carbon at all.

The price was about $100 CDN to my door and pure pain in the ass.

Edit: To add I would like to state that the car never even got a lap on my rcp or anywhere for that matter... never raced, only idle. *shaking my head*

Also, I have two IW-01s from a year ago or so. The plastic was much better then... they have not destroyed and have been raced many times. Iwaver got greedy and went for cheapest solution to make money off of Kyosho's back.

ol modder
2005.12.05, 04:34 PM
my i waver chassis shattered too. I think my problem was related to the battaries expanding as they got hot. Could also be the fact that iwaver chassis are real weak.
Im ordering a kyosho skeleton chassis which will hopefully be stronger.

I still think an iwaver is well worth it tho. :o

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.05, 04:51 PM
Well... my servo never worked well... the Mclaren F1 chassis was so short (shortest setting MM) that the rear suspension couldn't be used because the motor mount would hit the main chassis before the spring would depress, the chassis shattered, and the wheels weren't trued at all... I won't be buying a chassis set to replace it... I completely scrapped it, salvaged what I could and am pretending I am happy with the Tx and mclaren street body lol

ol modder
2005.12.05, 05:33 PM
lol, i would consider buying a kyosho chassis, the rest of the iwaver parts are reasonably good.
Maybe your steering didnt work well due to a "warped" chassis.
Kyosho, been better qaulity chassis may take the servo well.
Worth a try Imo.

Ull regret not getting the iwaver up and strong, and ill let u know how i get on when i get my chassis.

I only had mine a week before it shattered and was tempted to take it back but i thought " maybe the next onr will do the same"

I hope ive persuaded you to get a kyosho chassis!!! :D

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.05, 08:19 PM
Maybe I will with my next order. I keep looking at the electronics and thinking that could be another racer... lol

EnTg888
2005.12.05, 09:21 PM
Ah, guess I won't be getting myself a firelap for christmas. Oh well.

Quick question: I know toy 3ast doesn't have any firelaps in stock, but wasn't the firelap chassis black in color? (the iwavers were white) Or was it white all along, i dunno.

bda52
2005.12.05, 10:00 PM
Ah, guess I won't be getting myself a firelap for christmas. Oh well.

Quick question: I know toy 3ast doesn't have any firelaps in stock, but wasn't the firelap chassis black in color? (the iwavers were white) Or was it white all along, i dunno.

All of my IW chassis (4 IW02 and 1 IW01) in the past were all grey. Mine were never near as shiny as the ones in twenty-se7en's pics though.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.06, 07:13 AM
I ordered the Firelap 2.0 with the expectation of getting a black chassis... but when it showed up it was grey and white just like the Iwavers... I think they just changed the color on the website to make it look like a different product. I held out for the black chassis because I wanted something durable, lol. So much for that.

Hypocrisy
2005.12.08, 04:24 AM
eh..did you look at the new iwaver 02 and then ordered a old firelap 02?
the chassi of the old 02 style has never been black. when it comes to the chassi on the iwaver/firelap 02 it is quite bad, the plastic held up for me, but the batterybars in the chassi are too soft, and will be bent in too easily, so if you crash the car on the track, the car will stop because the battery hasent got any (or very little) contact with the bars
but that is easily solved with a kyosho chassi for $6. i like the iwaver/firelap 02 cars. have been working fine for me.. exept from the new iwaver R02 model.. that car was a complete disaster.

Ibrake Ifry
2005.12.08, 06:41 AM
i hate iwaver too! i have gotten the beaten consistently by their crappy qc! their chassis are worthless...after a few traction flips the front upper arms come right off. Wow i would never expect the chassis to break from the stress of the batteries!!!!!!!! :eek: also the servo saver is very fragile too and has gotten broken within the matter of minutes but i had no problems once i replaced it with a kyosho. of course the iwaver also don't work very well around high quality remotes! Its nearly impossible to drive them when other people are using the $300 kind. besides this I give a warning ...that transmitter is not that strong! i have broken two iwaver transmitters already!!! in fact the last transmitter i broke was in the middle of an hour long Endurance race and pretty much put me out of the race!!!!!!!!!!! the part that broke on both transmitters is this little thin piece of plastic that holds a spring that re-centers the steering wheel! without this piece the controller is useless!!! To me it is to much of a "coincidence" that both controllers broke the same way! :eek:

jaeneke
2005.12.08, 07:09 AM
I ordered the Firelap 2.0 with the expectation of getting a black chassis... but when it showed up it was grey and white just like the Iwavers... I think they just changed the color on the website to make it look like a different product. I held out for the black chassis because I wanted something durable, lol. So much for that.

mmm... first i bought a IW and i got the grey/white chassis...
a half year later i bought the firelap and i get the black/grey chassis ?

i knew about the bad plastic works from IW/FIRELAP so i bought an extra chassis set just in case and it just costed me a few dollars.
now whe are almost a year further and the "just in case" chassis is still in its original packaging ! my chassis are great !

i think regrettable you just had very bad luck with yours...

i even had (tuning)parts compared to each other from IW - kyosho and GPM etc... and in some(much) cases the IW parts where equal or better !!

briankstan
2005.12.08, 08:56 AM
that is the main problem with Iwaver. Some people rave about them, some just totally hate them. From what I have read it seem like it all depends on the batch that you get, some just seem to fall apart and other seem to be great.

I personally won't take that chance, I would rather spend the extra money and get something that I know is a better quality. I prefer driving my cars to fixing them, so for now that means I will stick with Kyosho. I do have a Iwaver board for a spare. I think that might be used in converting my xmod EVO, so I can use my Helios with it. :D

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.08, 10:01 AM
Hypo, the pictures on ******* (when they were in stock) showed the Firelap 2.0 with a Black and Grey chassis like jaeneke had purchased the second time.

I may purchase a chassis set or I may not... maybe I will for a beater, convert it to offroad and go snow trekkin this winter but the overall performance of the Iwaver/Firelaps that I have purchased has gone DOWN since my origional purchases. I don't think that parts should have to be replaced right away on a brand new $100 car... no way.

Draconious
2005.12.08, 10:18 AM
those of you who bought iwaver/firelaps, how much you spent on fixing them? add it up, add it to the original cost, and i bet its close to a new kyosho readyset, and likely more than the kyosho readysets that are often onsale. ;)

jaeneke
2005.12.08, 11:00 AM
those of you who bought iwaver/firelaps, how much you spent on fixing them? add it up, add it to the original cost, and i bet its close to a new kyosho readyset, and likely more than the kyosho readysets that are often onsale. ;)

actually not much... the only thing that kept breaking was the servo saver, replaced it by alloy and bye bye problem...

mmm and lets see... i bought 2 IW's(or firelap's :D) i fully tuned one and the other is for spare parts but that thing drives to and has a few tuning parts.

so i have 2 good working IW's with 2 digital remotes and tuning all over or...
i could buy 1 MR02(kyosho) put a ball diff on it, x-speed, bearings for the same money as bot my IW's ??!!

and if i had chosen for the second option and something got broken i was **cked and had to wait till other parts where available ;)

in my case i'm good off with my IW's because maybe i was lucky and bought them from a good stock...

EnTg888
2005.12.08, 10:43 PM
Hey, good to hear that the black chassis DID exist (i wasn't seeing things). Is it more durable/better plastic than the white one?

Kind of off topic, but a quick question: How good are the iwaver controllers? I've heard mixed opinions, but are they worth it for casual r/c ing (no racing)? Thanks!

jaeneke
2005.12.09, 02:04 AM
Hey, good to hear that the black chassis DID exist (i wasn't seeing things). Is it more durable/better plastic than the white one?

Kind of off topic, but a quick question: How good are the iwaver controllers? I've heard mixed opinions, but are they worth it for casual r/c ing (no racing)? Thanks!

here is a picture of the firelap i bought :
http://x1.putfile.com/9/26604524340-thumb.jpg (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/26604524340.jpg&s=x1)
http://x1.putfile.com/9/26604445081-thumb.jpg (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/26604445081.jpg&s=x1)
...as you can see grey and black ;)

the digital controllers are fantastic ! i had 3 of them, one i sold to somebody and the other 2 i use and i use them constantly ! i race on my own RPC track and on a club RPC track...
the only thing you have to do is gleu the 'tire' on the steering wheel for extra grip because you can pul it of in the heat of the race :D

i rather drive the IW controller then a KT-5 controller from kyosho... not only do they handle good they are also very practical because you can store 10 model settings in them !

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.09, 08:42 AM
damn you for getting a black chassis... that plastic looks so much more solid... but watch out with that plastic that holds the batteries in place, it looks just like mine.

Nice alloy parts.

I have a question though, why do you have the two king pins tied together??

soyverde
2005.12.09, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I believe the main chassis section (with the battery contacts) is the same plastic (I have the black Firelap version as well). I think mine is showing hairline cracks in the same area yours broke. Battery contacts are loose as ever, and my car abruptly stopped working last night while I was trying to test the broken Firelap controller...long story short, they're not that great of a deal. I said to myself it was worth the price just for the controller...and it would have been, had the controller stayed functional long enough to get in some track time. :rolleyes:

bda52
2005.12.09, 11:46 AM
I have a question though, why do you have the two king pins tied together??

Looks like he is missing the top C clips. But that does look like an easy way to change front springs and knuckles, a time saver and not having to look for the C clip after taking it off.

I did not know that is what you all meant about black/grey and white/grey chassis. The 4 IW02's I have all have white/grey, all were bought pre-Firelap. I have not had a problem at all with any of mine. One had a minor steering twitch but even some K cars have that.

Draconious
2005.12.09, 12:06 PM
Yea well even their wonderful controller isnt so great...

There was this mysterious area of the track that all the Z's were misbehaving in.. but it would only be there if the racer with the I waver TX was standing there with his TX on ;) it was jamming the other cars, thus their filtering to protect other channels was not so great in them. Some one once said it was made by futaba for I waver, I am pretty sure that is a load of crap... futaba would not produce something that jams other channels.

Shaun
2005.12.09, 12:26 PM

There was this mysterious area of the track that all the Z's were misbehaving in.. but it would only be there if the racer with the I waver TX was standing there with his TX on ;) it was jamming the other cars, thus their filtering to protect other channels was not so great in them. Some one once said it was made by futaba for I waver, I am pretty sure that is a load of crap... futaba would not produce something that jams other channels.

Never had a single problem with my iWaver controller. I've raced with many cars and never did the iWaver controller jam anyones frequency. Must have been a bad unit. Just recently one of the locals here bought a Kyosho Readyset from the shop here that had a defective controller. One of the wires inside had to be fixed. There are lemons in in every bunch, reguardless of brand. It just seems like iWaver has more lemons than the competition.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.09, 12:34 PM
I had a race with my brother last night and we were sitting trackside very lazy and even when he was 6" from my tx he didn't twitch a bit... I guess it is like everything Iwaver, quality control catches some things and doesn't with most.

bda52
2005.12.09, 12:52 PM

Heck, that might have been me that said it at first. In the IW II Tx instructions it says Futaba quite a few times in it.

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.09, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it does say Futaba a lot... no court case yet... maybe it's a sign? lol

jaeneke
2005.12.10, 02:41 PM
Looks like he is missing the top C clips. But that does look like an easy way to change front springs and knuckles, a time saver and not having to look for the C clip after taking it off.

I did not know that is what you all meant about black/grey and white/grey chassis. The 4 IW02's I have all have white/grey, all were bought pre-Firelap. I have not had a problem at all with any of mine. One had a minor steering twitch but even some K cars have that.

indeed !! this is a very quick way to change springs @ a rcp race track in the midlle of the heat or just for lazynes so i dont have to "fight" with those d*mn c-clips ;) :D (its made out of antenna wire :D )

@ twenty se7en : dont yell that hard... the chassis looks great even after a few hard brick wall chrashes but the black plastic isnt that solid as you think !
where the suspenion bridge is screwed on(on the top black cover) are tiny cracks in it sinds i made those brick wall chrashes.
it still didnt cracked further or so... but it doesnt need much anymore :(

jaeneke
2005.12.11, 07:53 AM
o jeah... i forgot to mension that the higher the Mah's the larger the batteries(in lenght) and that could be the reason that youre chassis did that.
to much stress in combination with bad plastic...

Twenty-Se7en
2005.12.11, 05:09 PM
I never heard of the batteries being longer or shorter ... AAA is a size and voltage standard... I can't imagine someone manufacturing batteries with higher output simply by lengthening the battery....

Some pretty crappy plastic though...

My better half is making me wait until after xmas to buy anything so i'm stuck till then... but I was thinking maybe to give that Kyosho chassis a try and see how the steering servo is then

Mazda787b
2005.12.11, 08:46 PM
Twenty-Se7en,

He is correct, diffierent manufacturers' batteries, regardless of what size they are supposed to be turn out to be diffierent sizes. For example, GP3300 cells are heavier and larger than Panasonic 3000s, and GP3700s are even larger and heavier than 3700s. THEN, Intellect ib3800s are way more HEAVIER and even larger. But they all fit into the SC category.

easy
2005.12.11, 11:47 PM
Machine seems to be forgetting about all the glitching problems that plagued every Nanospeed track night I was at and that was a few. He's also forgetting 14 out of 14 Iwaver 04s had moderate to serious problems right out of the box. 8 of those excellent radios failed too that I know of.

All of our early Iwavers had steering glitch problems too. Drac won't believe this but I agree with him. The Iwaver LCD radios caused a glich spot for Kyoshos at the Nanospeed track nights too but Kyoshos were the odd balls at those track nights. Like I said though there was so much glitching going on at those events I personally got a lot less driving and a lot more problems than I had hoped for.

Machine will probably disagree and cite other reasons for my saying all this but to say that Iwaver's quality is hit and miss may well be the understatement of 2005.
My 04s were a disaster and the soldering on my 02 melted at a Nanospeed track night causing one of the drive fets to slide off its pad frying the board.

I can't say what's happened at machine's track nights since June 2005 but the only Iwaver I have out of 6 that still runs well, really well is the 01 I built into an offroader. It does however have a late generation 04 board in it.

27 you could easily fix that with an alloy chassis plate, they aren't very hard to make. Just glue that one back together and use it as a template.

DM

Hypocrisy
2005.12.12, 04:22 AM
well the only thing i have changed because of bad quality on my iw02 is the chassie (have changed alot of parts, but to performance parts that i would have changed on a MR02 too)
i havent seen the firelap with that black chassi before, oh i`m going to order one of those!
at the track where i`m driving most of the people are driving iwaver 02 cars, and i havent heard of any problems that you describe at all, they are all happy with their cars (exept those who got the new iwaver R02, but that car is another story...)
so i cant see anything wrong with buying a iw/firelap 02 car. i`m going to order another one soon so i can begin to test the MM setup a little more, my car today is setupped for RM. and i cant see why i should pay twice as much for a MR02. just going to buy a K std chassi to my firelap.
and if you want a really good handling body for your RM car, get the Ferarri 360GTC, its soo easy to drive, very good balance