PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya Ultra Dash motor

SaiTam
2005.12.06, 11:04 PM
I found a new Ultra Dash motor and I put it on my MiniZ with 8T/stock spur. It topped out at 45km/h, which is much faster than my PN Anima. However, is it safe to run this motor? (Even with FET upgrade)?

Ibrake Ifry
2005.12.07, 12:13 AM
are you sai from action rc? anywayz ultradash motors are good and they don't really draw to much current. it would be good if you have 2 or more layers of fets like 2x2, 3 fwd 2 rev, or 3 fwd 3 rev etc.

gulfclk
2005.12.07, 06:59 AM
are you sai from action rc? anywayz ultradash motors are good and they don't really draw to much current. it would be good if you have 2 or more layers of fets like 2x2, 3 fwd 2 rev, or 3 fwd 3 rev etc.
Didn't know there were fwd and rev FET's ... There are only 2 circuits, one FET (or tower) for the + and one for the -.

Ibrake Ifry
2005.12.07, 09:54 AM
what I mean by the fwd fets are the stack on the positive side and the rev fets is the stack on the negative side.

Didn't know there were fwd and rev FET's ... There are only 2 circuits, one FET (or tower) for the + and one for the -.

actually there is one circuit since when you press the trigger to go forward it activates the p channel side of the fwd fet and the n channel side of the rev fet which are directly connected to the motor. the motor gets positive voltage through the p channel and ground through the n channel. of course with fet stacking the resistance to ground or vcc is effectively lowered although some people don't want the resistance lowered too much because they don't like the extra torque it provides.
:eek: personally i don't mind extra torque! :eek:

SaiTam
2005.12.07, 12:37 PM
Yes, it's me.

I'll see how this motor performs this Sat.

If it runs good this would be the cheapest Modified motor I have ever used.

I have been using the PN Anima and it's more than powerful enough already. It's also seen 8 wks of usage with no sign of slowing down.

fatboy1
2005.12.07, 01:38 PM
Quick comment:
The Tamiya 'dash' motors, which as the upgrade motors for the old 4wd cars are supposed to be the same specs as the kyosho xspeed motor. This also would mean that stock FETS are okay and will not burn.

SaiTam
2005.12.07, 02:55 PM
Well, this shows the specs of the motor. I'm not sure if stock FET board can handle it but I use it in Modified class anyway. It says the motor has carbon brushes.

http://www.toypowerseller.com/images/15307-1.jpg

Quick comment:
The Tamiya 'dash' motors, which as the upgrade motors for the old 4wd cars are supposed to be the same specs as the kyosho xspeed motor. This also would mean that stock FETS are okay and will not burn.

byebye
2005.12.07, 03:24 PM

I'm not an electronics wiz but I do know that if one of the FET is gone you will lose either forward or reverse.

-Byebye

Ibrake Ifry
2005.12.07, 11:55 PM
I'm not an electronics wiz but I do know that if one of the FET is gone you will lose either forward or reverse.

-Byebye
this is very true byebye, in fact, sometimes if you really overheat the fets you will lose both fwd and rev, since each chip contains both channels p and n :D the n channel has a connection to ground and the p channel a connection to Vcc on both stacks. depending on if you hit forward or reverse it activates the correct channel on both stacks to decide the polarity on the motor.

the ultradash is actually close to the plasma dash since it has 26gauge wire and 27 turns... like the specs says it draws 4 amps at stall(mind you that is at only 3volts! not the miniz 4.8) so it will completely destroy stock fets! xxpseed will draw maybe at most an amp by the way!

SaiTam
2005.12.08, 09:55 AM
SO any FET upgrade would handle this motor without frying?

[QUOTE=the ultradash is actually close to the plasma dash since it has 26gauge wire and 27 turns... like the specs says it draws 4 amps at stall(mind you that is at only 3volts! not the miniz 4.8) so it will completely destroy stock fets! xxpseed will draw maybe at most an amp by the way![/QUOTE]

byebye
2005.12.08, 09:57 AM
Yes.

-Byebye

EMU
2005.12.08, 01:04 PM
I would suggest putting it into a Ball Bearing can with Neo Magnets ;) The brushes that come with the Tamiya PlasmaDash motors are not very good, so I dont know how the brushes for the UltraDash will be... even though they are carbon.

Heres a little tutorial for the UberDash (ultra dash armature)...
http://www.woahnelly.com/uberdash/tutorial.htm

pomme de terre
2005.12.09, 10:08 PM
No... an ultra dash WILL fry a stock FET-ed car
The limit of those "dash" motors is the atomic tuned and torque tuned motor. These are the only 2 that are "safe" on stock FETs

Ibrake Ifry
2005.12.12, 10:48 AM
sai- the ultradash is an awesome motor but it really shines with neo magnets and carbon brushes in a ball-bearing can. this weekend how did you like it on the track?

SaiTam
2005.12.12, 01:37 PM
I finished 2nd in Modified with this motor and a 6T pinion, no exponential setting on the radio.

I am using it in a speedy bushing metal can; bearing motor cover; Speedy stock magnet, no comm drop; stock ultra dash brushes; no break-in. It's fast and torquery enough for me like this. At the start of the race I launched Willy's car out of the track since I was right behind him. On the straightaway I can keep up with anybody. Less torque with stock magent is better for me for ease of driving. Let's see how long it'll last.

sai- the ultradash is an awesome motor but it really shines with neo magnets and carbon brushes in a ball-bearing can. this weekend how did you like it on the track?