PDA

View Full Version : woohoo.............dangit!

Ronin
2005.12.08, 08:25 PM
So, went to my local hobby shop this evening, he had the new 02. Thought about it for a bit, and since I get a 10% discount there, I figured I'd give it a try.

Brought it home. Man, this things really slow out of the box. had to get rid of that. Pulled out a kyosho xspeed I had lying around and threw it in, along with a ball diff, and just ball bearings on the rear axle ( I wanted to play with my new toy!) Set it down without the body and ran it around.

WOW! it's really scary fast. until it smacked my shoe. snap. servo saver. done. well, it saved the servo. I'm happy. I'll have to have a couple of sets of those in the toolbox.

So, sadly to say, got no tracktime, (Was getting ready to set up the track, until I broke the servo saver.) Now gotta wait for parts. meh.

so, all in all, I'm very pleased with it. I highly recommend trying one out. The turning radius is really good, and I had no problems with the steering.

New Iwaver 02, upgraded some out of box = :cool:

leonen
2005.12.08, 08:48 PM
So, went to my local hobby shop this evening, he had the new 02. Thought about it for a bit, and since I get a 10% discount there, I figured I'd give it a try.

Brought it home. Man, this things really slow out of the box. had to get rid of that. Pulled out a kyosho xspeed I had lying around and threw it in, along with a ball diff, and just ball bearings on the rear axle ( I wanted to play with my new toy!) Set it down without the body and ran it around.

WOW! it's really scary fast. until it smacked my shoe. snap. servo saver. done. well, it saved the servo. I'm happy. I'll have to have a couple of sets of those in the toolbox.

So, sadly to say, got no tracktime, (Was getting ready to set up the track, until I broke the servo saver.) Now gotta wait for parts. meh.

so, all in all, I'm very pleased with it. I highly recommend trying one out. The turning radius is really good, and I had no problems with the steering.

Thank Goodness!!! I was begining to think I was a lonely lunatic with all those - not so iwaver friendly posts - ......

The servo saver seems to be the fragilest part up to now.

About the motors.... you can always get a PRO PCB, with the fet upgrades at Omnimodels (http://www2.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001p?&I=IWVL0003&P=0) and yry a really hot motor on it. I will stick to the stock and / or xSpeed motors. My stock was really fast!

Ronin
2005.12.08, 08:52 PM
odd.

Mine was junk. I might try that I- pro or whatever super modified

It's not that I dislike it, I'm glad the servo saver did it's job. They're cheaper than new servos, but still kind chincy * sp

I still love it, now I need some new wheels and some carbon fiber. After I get some money I guess.

bolter9
2005.12.08, 10:23 PM
The servo saver busted from hitting your shoe??

even with an x-speed, something doesn't seem right :confused:

Ronin
2005.12.08, 10:25 PM
The servo saver busted from hitting your shoe??

even with an x-speed, something doesn't seem right :confused:

it hit at an angle, and twisted the wheels. I didn't have the body on. I was asking for it. it's cool. no biggie. 5 dollar fix

I might have to keep a couple sets of those in the pit box though. :D

EnTg888
2005.12.08, 11:45 PM
woot. First person here to be very happy with their iwaver; now i might go and get one myself. By the way, how good is the new LCD controller? Does it still have the special battery cartridge (that can be replaced with nicds)?

Ronin
2005.12.09, 07:12 AM
woot. First person here to be very happy with their iwaver; now i might go and get one myself. By the way, how good is the new LCD controller? Does it still have the special battery cartridge (that can be replaced with nicds)?

well, it's just a battery tray. but you can put nicd's in it, it also has the port in the back for the charger. also, it's a nice controller, but it takes a little getting used to compared to the old LCD Iwaver tx. I like it a lot! ;)

michvin
2005.12.09, 11:47 AM
First person here to be very happy with their iwaver
Hey, don't get too excited - it's been only one night :D :D :D
kidding.

machine
2005.12.09, 12:34 PM
I quite enjoy mine as well, had a few concerns but it's all good. My servo saver is not broken (hehehe) but i argee having a few spares would be helpful come race time.

I've got a CF chassis coming and some alum parts as well. Should preform well on the track.

Ronin
2005.12.09, 01:45 PM
Hey, don't get too excited - it's been only one night :D :D :D
kidding.

ha!

actually, I think once I get it dialed, it will rip. Even my old iwaver tore my track up pretty good. I believe I'll be pretty happy with it.

I got this coming for christmas:

Saleen S7 Blue body
Gunmetal type b wheels. Narrow fronts wide rears.
10 degree front and rear tires
ball bearings
two sets of the servo saver parts pack! :D

bda52
2005.12.09, 01:58 PM
with the new Tx, does the blue light still blind you like it did on the old one?

Ronin
2005.12.09, 02:00 PM
no, it's actually at the bottom of the controller pointing up towards the trigger and wheel.

I'll get some pics once I get it fixed! :D

bda52
2005.12.09, 02:43 PM
Yea, I know where it was moved too, I just was not sure if it was still blinding like it was on the IW II tx. But then when you do that, you learn quick...lol

EnTg888
2005.12.09, 08:15 PM
Heh, thanks for the opinion. Are you guys getting them from a LHS or from online? (california...)

PlagueWulf
2005.12.19, 05:14 PM
OT.
The blinding light on the old Tx can be used to distract any driver standing to your right. ;)

EnTg888
2005.12.19, 11:07 PM
Hey guys, so i went out and bought one (saleen). Does anyone else have problems getting the body to fit right? The front tierod and the rear motor pod hit the body. Am I doing something wrong? Otherwise, great car, nice controller (maybe the plastic is a bit cheap but it's not horrible).

Taazz
2005.12.19, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately, you are not doing anything wrong. Just poor product design.

If you leave the front clip screws loose it will allow the front end to raise up and provide the clearance you need for the steering.

I haven't figured out a solution to the rear suspension problem. My Saleen and GT40 both have the same problem you are describing.

As mentioned previously in this thread, don't hit anything or the servo saver is toast.

I took a grey nylon bearing from a Xmod Evo all wheel drive kit, cut a slot in it, sanded it to the right size and it worked much better without cracking.

I have two dead newest version Iwavers right now. The only thing I changed was to put a stock Z motor in them. The drove great for about 10 minutes then my range went from over 30 ft. to 2 inches. Don't know if the motor overloaded the board or what.

They sent me 2 new Pro boards and I can't make the steering on the Pro board work and no one including Hobbico Services can give me any insight into the problem.

Hope you have better luck with yours than I have had with mine.

Ninja
2005.12.20, 12:30 AM
our LHS said there was a major electronics problem with the first shipment of IW's, they had a recall on them, the steering may not be a big problem, first thing to try, swap the wires around on the servo motor, not the pot, but the motor, it sounds like the same problem i was having with one of my K boards last week, and this solved the problem ;) good luck

michvin
2005.12.20, 12:58 AM
swap the wires around on the servo motor, not the pot, but the motor, it sounds like the same problem i was having with one of my K boards last week, and this solved the problem ;) good luck
Can you explain, please?
thanx

EnTg888
2005.12.20, 02:01 AM
Oh, man, if there's a recall... I think my warranty is void. Filed here and there and everywhere, and replaced the tierod with a bent paperclip. I suppose one solution is to just go and buy a K body :D
But I would like to know about the elec problem too, could someone explain?

Taazz
2005.12.21, 10:22 AM
Ok, swapped the motor wires around and presto, steering. How about that. I was even able to put one of the Pro boards into a 01 Mini Z that I burned out a board on and it seems to work just fine.

Took the Iwaver to the track last night and ran at least 4 packs of battries through it without any electrical problems. Still just using a stock Mini Z motor.

The car is very smooth. Handles well and tracks very straight down a 30 foot straight. This is all with the slow stock servo.

It is certainly not a 02 Z beater. I was running the same track over the weekend with my MM Enzo and ran laps into the mid 9's and a total of 28 laps. The Iwaver was only able to muster a low 11 and ran a best of 25 laps. I might be able to get a bit more out of it with different tires. I had 10 degree Iwaver tires on the back and left the stock tires that came on the car on the front. The Enzo was running one of the made in Japan stock motors which appear to give a little bit extra punch, while the Iwaver was running a stock made in China motor.

Bottom line, nothing broke, it was more fun to drive than an Xmod (smoother and better control) but doesn't appear to be up to taking on a Mini Z without some tweaking and tuning. Still not sure it is worth spending the money on. My thoughts at this point are that it is better to pay a few bucks more and buy a Mini Z.

Oh and one of the transmitters stopped working and on the other one which I used for the first time yesterday the blue light doesn't light up when you turn on the radio. The saga continues.

t-bone
2005.12.21, 01:10 PM
when i got my new iwaver i put the body on and sat the car on a wood table and noticed the front end sat noticably higher than the back. ? is, did antone else have the same prob.? Idid fix by putting mimi z front weel bushings in to lower it. now it sits level,but i shouldn't have had to do it.

EnTg888
2005.12.21, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it's the body. Try taking the body off-it's now level, is it? I think its the front clip. Two solutions:
Sandpaper the front clip until it fits loosely in the body
Loosen the front clip screws until the car is level.

By the way, does your ABS function (controller controlled brakes) work?

yamar6
2005.12.21, 06:19 PM
is the radio 3 channal or 2So, went to my local hobby shop this evening, he had the new 02. Thought about it for a bit, and since I get a 10% discount there, I figured I'd give it a try.

Taazz
2005.12.21, 08:17 PM
The radio is 2 channel. I am not sure why channel 3 shows up sometimes. I have not been able to get the ABS brakes to work with the Iwaver. It goes from forward to reverse no matter what the setting on the controler is.

EnTg888
2005.12.21, 09:42 PM
I believe channel 3 shows up because they are using the same firmware as the original iwaver controller (futaba 3PM clone) which had 3 channels. (In fact it might be possible to wire a 3rd channel in there).
I finally figured out the ABS... It's a bit finicky, but set channel 2 to slow med or fast. The brakes only activate when the trigger goes from forward to full back; in that case the motor will reverse for a split second and stop the car.