PDA

View Full Version : 1/18 questions??

james399
2005.12.10, 05:11 AM
my friend just picked up an hpi micro rs4 and i have to say with a little electric tape on the tires it was an awesome drifter....

im planning on picking up a 1/18 scale myself, but i'm wondering what brands you all like and dislike...

i think ive narrowed the decision down to the xray or to the hpi, haven't decided yet...

any input or help would be great...

-james

Em&em
2005.12.10, 08:33 AM
I personaly,

Like:
Micro RS4
Mini LST
AE RC18T
MiniZilla
Xray M18

Dis-Likes:
Trinity Spyder
Mini Quake
Mini Giant
Mini T

There are to many reasons to post why and why not I like these cars/trucks so just ask :)

T Man
2005.12.10, 11:28 AM
Get the xray M18, you'll love it.

Or, you can wait for the NT18. :)

www.teamxray.com

Ken Mifune
2005.12.10, 11:54 AM
Yes, X-Ray M18

james399
2005.12.10, 01:27 PM
thanx for all your replies, i am specifically looking for a touring car.... my friend and i want to do tandem drifting, but i don't want to have the same car as him... yeah yeah i know... silly boys and their silly toys...

but seriously, what are some of the pro's and cons of the m18 vs the rs4??

-james

NikeSB
2005.12.10, 09:12 PM
thanx for all your replies, i am specifically looking for a touring car.... my friend and i want to do tandem drifting, but i don't want to have the same car as him... yeah yeah i know... silly boys and their silly toys...

but seriously, what are some of the pro's and cons of the m18 vs the rs4??

-james

Ahh, I am the perfect person for this question. I have had both rs4's and m18's. The rs4 is a great little car but it is 2wd. The m18 is awd. The rs4 runs on a belt systen and that can lead to problems with the belt even tho the replacement are only a few bux it can get anoying. The m18 runs on a shaft drive. Since the m18 runs on a shaft drive it is louder than the rs4 but it's not something that would bother you because it didnt bother me. The m18 is a better car plain and simple and the price difference isnt huge. I picked mine up from ebay when they first came out brand new for like 65 bux. I added the motek carbon chassis and man that car was beast! :)

T Man
2005.12.11, 01:05 PM
Ahh, I am the perfect person for this question. I have had both rs4's and m18's. The rs4 is a great little car but it is 2wd. The m18 is awd. The rs4 runs on a belt systen and that can lead to problems with the belt even tho the replacement are only a few bux it can get anoying. The m18 runs on a shaft drive. Since the m18 runs on a shaft drive it is louder than the rs4 but it's not something that would bother you because it didnt bother me. The m18 is a better car plain and simple and the price difference isnt huge. I picked mine up from ebay when they first came out brand new for like 65 bux. I added the motek carbon chassis and man that car was beast! :)
I could have sworn that the RS4 was 4wd...

Also, I have owned both cars as well and have to disagree with you about the drivetrain noise. I always got more noise from the RS4 than I did with the M18. In fact, it has been extremely quiet for the time I have owned it (over a year).

I also never had to replace the belt on my RS4; it never stripped or got loose.

But I do agree with you that the M18 is better. :)

NikeSB
2005.12.11, 01:10 PM
O snap, now that I really think about it the rs4 was awd. My bad. I had it over 2 years ago so its been a while. But, I did get more noise out of my m18. I think it had something to do with the metal pinions and gears lol. And the belt of my rs4 snapped on me like 2 0r 3 times.

james399
2005.12.12, 04:21 PM
sweetness, i just picked up my m18, putting it together... lol....

NikeSB
2005.12.12, 09:51 PM
You bought it that fast? lol Geez. Anyways there are some really awesome things that you can do to m18's. If you have any questions you can ask me.

herman
2005.12.12, 10:23 PM
don't forget to get a speed 300 motor too.... :D

i think you'll be needing a special motor mount for that though...

james399
2005.12.12, 10:35 PM
lol...

drove my friends hpi micro rs4 on thursday, saw it drift, controlled drifting on carpet going slower than a stock OL..... . knew i had to have a 1:18 scale drifter....

started doing reading, decided between the hpi and the xray,
but i figured id ask here since i know a lot of these guys on here really know what they are talking about... :cool:

and i actually bought it two days ago, but just finished putting it together, some of the parts i initially got didn't fit, so i had to go back to the lhs....

put some electric tape on the tires and bam instant drifter...

the great part about it is you can do it at really slow apeeds so it is totally controllable....im using the stock motor, and am totally satisfied, i have never been satisfied by anything stock before.... lol....

but what can you do, i have a thing about cars.. big and small... lol.... actually thats not true, i think anything mechanical i can control... lol....

but yeah great little car, putting it together was really a pain in the butt... so many little pieces, but everything was really clear, the most understandable instruction manual i have ever read... still a pain in the butt...

-james

james399
2005.12.12, 10:47 PM
i got the team orion racing motor, it fits the stock motor mount... one of the customers at the lhs talked me into it on the spot, told me stock with the team orion motor it will drift on asphault....lol....

but haven't tried it out yet, sitting in the to be played with pile... lol...

james399
2005.12.12, 11:39 PM
what other must have mods do you all reccomend??

Sky
2005.12.12, 11:53 PM
Here's my M18

Equiped with:

XRAY Factory Blue CF Chassis Upgrade
TEKIN Mini Rage 8000kv Brushless
TEKIN Chrome FM RX
Hitec HS-81MG
Thunder Power 3-Cell 900MAh Lipo (Wicked Nutz!!)

Coming this week:

Proline Mazda 6 150mm
Atomic Spring Set
Team Orion FreshKicks Gumballs Micro Foams

NikeSB
2005.12.13, 02:24 AM
You need a good chassis. I got the motek cf one the second day it came out and i shelled out 75 bux for it. They even make 140 mm chassis for the m18 so you can fit all the 140 bodies. you should get a really nice motor. The best brushed motors you can get are the beast raptors from one18th.com.

james399
2006.01.03, 03:28 AM
blah...

so this is what my xray has so far...

1400mah battery
team orion racing motor,
stock m18 motor,
2.5 toe out in rear
hpt supra body with bucket lights
stock ferrari body
team orion lightweight racing rims
metal gear servo
spy mini esc
alloy motor holder
rc18t ball diffs front and back (not installed)
drift tires (abs home made)
stock tires (rubber racing slicks)
adjustable gear diff on the front....
edit: airtronics radio (cheapy)

i dunno, if i'm quite satisfied with it...

if anyone is looking for a m18 in awesome condition, near new, with a lot of hopups, email me an offer... i spent over 400 bucks on this car... lol....

edit: i just put this up or sale over at one18th.com :(
http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30823

so if anyone is interested, contact me either through there or here...

thanx

-james