PDA

View Full Version : Tires & Motor Upgrades

Subiekid
2005.12.18, 10:59 PM
I just got an MR-02 Ferrari 360 GTC, and right off the bat I'd like to upgrade the tires and motor to give me a little more of an edge against my brother's car on the foam track. So far I've come up with the following:

-For the front tires, I want to run some race spec Ultra Soft foam tires (8.5mm)
http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=474

-For the motor swap I want to put in a Atomic Mini-Z T2 Modified Motor
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17034&cat=279&page=1

But I don't know what to run on the rears. Do you guys have any suggestions?

arch2b
2005.12.18, 11:43 PM
I just got an MR-02 Ferrari 360 GTC, and right off the bat I'd like to upgrade the tires and motor to give me a little more of an edge against my brother's car on the foam track. So far I've come up with the following:

-For the front tires, I want to run some race spec Ultra Soft foam tires (8.5mm)
http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=474

-For the motor swap I want to put in a Atomic Mini-Z T2 Modified Motor
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17034&cat=279&page=1

But I don't know what to run on the rears. Do you guys have any suggestions?
that will be one hell of a fast car... unless you have a large track i would stick with the aftermarket x-speed class motors and even some of the aftermarket stock motors. once you get into fet upgrades, the speeds will jump and tracks will then seem much smaller.

i've never run foam tires but you can also try gpm 8's (rubber). they work very well on rcp tracks.

i gear down very fast cars to slow them down while gearing up not fet'ed cars. most if not all of mine are 8-12 tooth pinion. i am by no means a racing expert so i'm sure other will give better advice on gearing.

Ninja
2005.12.18, 11:51 PM
on our semi-technical track, we use 6 and 7 tooth pinions, anything else slows you down out of the corners and kills your batts faster

Subiekid
2005.12.19, 08:51 PM
The track is probably considered semi-technical, it's very big though and has quite a few areas of long straits around the edges.

I don't really know a lot about the "Pinion" system, is that the Mini-Z equivalent of the clutch/gear system? That's kind of what it sounds like, anything with a large pinion would be like having a large flywheel in an automobile? It's harder to get up momentum, but has a greater ability to process high-end speed?

EMU
2005.12.19, 11:29 PM
You have the pinion gear on the motor shaft, and the spur gear on the differential shaft. Both of them together make your gear ratio. In general, MR02 spur gears are 44 tooth. Most of the adjustment will be using different pinion gears rather than switching the spur gears (much harder to swap).

I generally use 8t pinions for both my home track and the hobby shop track. On tighter layouts or endurance events I may switch it to a 7t pinion, and for a track with mostly straights I may use a 9t pinion. The larger the pinion, the more top end speed/less acceleration and the opposite is true for smaller pinions (more accel/less top end).

An Atomic T2 motor would require a FET upgrade. The fastest motor that I have used on stock fets is the Atomic Stock (best with 9t pinion).

For tires, GPM 8d radial rears and PN 18d front tires will work well and be the most consistant. The softer you go in front, the faster they will wear and less consistancy they will have in the long run (mostly speaking from endurance experience). Some racers at my local track run GPM 8d radials all around, others run 8d rear with PN 18d or Kyosho 20d slick fronts. They run about the same speed, driving style is different though. For a while I was running 8d all around, but now am starting to switch to harder front tires.

miniznoob
2005.12.23, 05:28 PM
i was the same way when i got my enzo, wanted to do everything which i didnt. rather i just got the suspension dialed in and dooped the tires with some compound and it hooks up pretty well. But now, after 3 MR02's (LoL all enzo's - guess i like those cars hehe) but one car is setup for a stock class *stock motor from kyosho the one you get in the car!* but have done the suspension, handles like its on rails! then my other enzo, well has an x-speed, and a couple other parts...suspension mostly, i saw a great difference in the stock motor compared to kyosho's stock motor i would go that route instead of getting the atomic t2 *great motor tho* plus fets. tho my 3rd enzo....untouched..a virgin if you will..will get some fets! HAR HAR! just got them bad boys in today also!, youll know what ill be doing later hehe.