PDA

View Full Version : What upgrades to buy?

SteveR1960
2005.12.19, 09:45 PM
Thinking of getting my son a MZM, but hear there are some must have upgrades - different shocks etc.

Any recs?

Steve

BTW - what are servo savers?

maestroelite
2005.12.19, 09:49 PM
Thinking of getting my son a MZM, but hear there are some must have upgrades - different shocks etc.

Any recs?

Steve

BTW - what are servo savers?

I see you followed my advice(I'm starcolpaine.).

A servo saver is a part that flexes or (possibly)breaks on hard impact to save your servo gears from breaking. Already told you what I think on the upgrades.. so I'm done.

SteveR1960
2005.12.19, 09:59 PM
I see you followed my advice(I'm starcolpaine.).

A servo saver is a part that flexes or (possibly)breaks on hard impact to save your servo gears from breaking. Already told you what I think on the upgrades.. so I'm done.

Thanks - then you won't bias anyone else here. You can never have enough opinions from folks when you know nothing (me that is).

Steve

james399
2005.12.21, 05:23 AM
here is what i did and the order i did it in.....

1. bearings (must have) 10 bucks on the bay
2. lssm (gives you a very nice suspension lift and allows for greater flex) do a search here if your not sure what lssm is.
3. alloy wheels (also a must have for some bling bling) 20 bucks.
4. custom body (i used a revel model) 10 bucks. the stock is so cheesy lookin.
5. chassis extension on the front (so the wheel base fits the model) 5 bucks for some longer ball joints.
6. FET stack 3x2 (so i can run hotter motors) 50 bucks from the store here.
7. PN 05 speedy motor (for that added torque) 15 bucks

you will have a monster with crazy torque... pull wheelies from a stand still on carpet, dirt, pretty much anything....
i like to jump my monster and as a consequence, things have started to break :D

so

the list continues with

8. alloy steering knuckles 1 degree lol. (replacing broken pieces) 10 bucks

great little truck, you will have tons of fun.....

i posted some photos of my monster when i finished it...
here is a link to it.
http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20020

personally im not a crazy fan of the alloy, it is just extra weight to push around... but some alloy parts just make sense..... or are a must have... i just have a weakness for rims... lol....

hope that gets you started....

keep us posted on how you like it, and what you do to it...

-james

kehern15
2005.12.21, 10:07 AM
here is what i did and the order i did it in.....

1. bearings (must have) 10 bucks on the bay
2. lssm (gives you a very nice suspension lift and allows for greater flex) do a search here if your not sure what lssm is.
3. alloy wheels (also a must have for some bling bling) 20 bucks.
4. custom body (i used a revel model) 10 bucks. the stock is so cheesy lookin.
5. chassis extension on the front (so the wheel base fits the model) 5 bucks for some longer ball joints.
6. FET stack 3x2 (so i can run hotter motors) 50 bucks from the store here.
7. PN 05 speedy motor (for that added torque) 15 bucks

you will have a monster with crazy torque... pull wheelies from a stand still on carpet, dirt, pretty much anything....
i like to jump my monster and as a consequence, things have started to break :D

so

the list continues with

8. alloy steering knuckles 1 degree lol. (replacing broken pieces) 10 bucks

great little truck, you will have tons of fun.....

i posted some photos of my monster when i finished it...
here is a link to it.
http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20020

personally im not a crazy fan of the alloy, it is just extra weight to push around... but some alloy parts just make sense..... or are a must have... i just have a weakness for rims... lol....

hope that gets you started....

keep us posted on how you like it, and what you do to it...

-james

Honestly, I think that a lot of those "necessary" are not necessary. (Sorry!)

Bearings, a must. But the $10 ones on e b a y are not very good, if you are going to by the $10, the stock bushings are better. The bearings from the shop are the best. The are worth the $25.

The LLSM mod is okay for general use, but if you are going to do a lot of ramping/stunts, I have *heard* that the LLSM mod is not the best.

Alloy wheels, not 100% necessary, the stock ones are okay, but mine have started chipping along the rim. So I suggest that you wait until the stock ones start breaking down.

The new body + the chassis extension, I think that it is completely unessary, unless you have a extreme hatred of the stock body, ( I actually like the body) the new body and chassis extension is just a wast of money and time.

The FET stack and the motor. Again, it depends on your circumstances. It only depends on where you are going to drive your MZM. If it is only going to be driven indoor, the Kyosho X-Speed is more than fine. ( The same motor is also fine for some outdoor use)
But, if you want to drive the MZM mainly outside, I would go with a stack FET (either 2x2 or 3x2) I am planning to put a plasmatomic motor in my MZM in the near future. Also, you can by your own FET and soldor them in yourself, all you need is a steady hand. ( There is a tut. somewhere here)

Lastly, the most needed upgrades are a alloy front and rear damper mount. ( The shock mounts)
The steering nuckles
A alloy heatsink if you plan to run any motor over the X-Speed.
Alloy front bumber and rear wheelie bar. (<-- This is kinda necessary, it is not needes, but is recemonded)

Keher

P.S. How old is your son?

landmine55
2005.12.21, 11:16 AM
hey star are u from a t o m i c m o d s . com then add me to your friends list

maestroelite
2005.12.21, 04:46 PM
hey star are u from a t o m i c m o d s . com then add me to your friends list

Yeah, I'm from AM.

SteveR1960
2005.12.21, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I'm from AM.

Everyone - thanks for the replys. My son is just about 6. Unusually mechanical and coordinated for his age. Also - where we are in Mchigan it's freezing and we're buried in snow. Need a good father son activity for indoors.

james399
2005.12.21, 06:07 PM
Honestly, I think that a lot of those "necessary" are not necessary. (Sorry!)

Bearings, a must. But the $10 ones on e b a y are not very good, if you are going to by the $10, the stock bushings are better. The bearings from the shop are the best. The are worth the $25.

The LLSM mod is okay for general use, but if you are going to do a lot of ramping/stunts, I have *heard* that the LLSM mod is not the best.

Alloy wheels, not 100% necessary, the stock ones are okay, but mine have started chipping along the rim. So I suggest that you wait until the stock ones start breaking down.

The new body + the chassis extension, I think that it is completely unessary, unless you have a extreme hatred of the stock body, ( I actually like the body) the new body and chassis extension is just a wast of money and time.

The FET stack and the motor. Again, it depends on your circumstances. It only depends on where you are going to drive your MZM. If it is only going to be driven indoor, the Kyosho X-Speed is more than fine. ( The same motor is also fine for some outdoor use)
But, if you want to drive the MZM mainly outside, I would go with a stack FET (either 2x2 or 3x2) I am planning to put a plasmatomic motor in my MZM in the near future. Also, you can by your own FET and soldor them in yourself, all you need is a steady hand. ( There is a tut. somewhere here)

Lastly, the most needed upgrades are a alloy front and rear damper mount. ( The shock mounts)
The steering nuckles
A alloy heatsink if you plan to run any motor over the X-Speed.
Alloy front bumber and rear wheelie bar. (<-- This is kinda necessary, it is not needes, but is recemonded)

Keher

P.S. How old is your son?

keher no need for an appology.... different opinions are always a necessity for outside of the box thinking....
lol.... what modifications are ever really necessary....lol...

hm... bearings... this may sound strange, but i wanted to know exactly what the bearings would do, so my friend and i put both our mzm to stock, stock body stock motor, same pinion gear, batteries etc....and raced, we also tried more expensive bearings....
the results
1. if you use your truck a lot, (which we do) your bushings will wear out, the nylong bushings will be responsible for a lot of slop in your truck...the cheapy and expensive bearings both made the truck tighter....

2. the truck with the bearings was noticibly faster than the bushings truck....and the truck with the nice bearings were slightly faster than the truck with cheapy bearings.....

3. for me tho, a marginal gain in speed is not worth payin double for some nice bearings....

as for the lssm, your totally right, for ramping and jumping, i hear the oil shocks are the best way to go, but for me, the lssm has worked best for me.... it allows for some moderate crawling (with the bigger articulation) and it does fine bashing around out and inside... not to mention that the lssm is the price of some rod, 45 cents at the lhs, the oil shocks are 25bucks a set?? for me this was a no brainer as well.....

as for the alloy wheels, for me they were necessary... lol...... my friend uses plastic wheels and swears by them... lol... total preference....

the body and chassis extensions are completely not necessary, but again, i wanted a different look for my monster... totally cosmetic... dependent on the driver.. lol....

i disagree with you on the shock mounts... i have been using the plastic ones and they seem totally fine... if anything i feel the alloy ones would add a little too much stress on the little tabs holding it in place on the central chassis....

the steering knuckles, i have had to replace because they do seem to break rather easily.... tried replacing it with plastic, broke it again, decided to go with alloy....

as for the wheelie bar and front bumper in alloy?? i agee that it is ok to add some weight to the front to help keep the front down, with a fet stack and a hotter motor, you will be doing wheelies all day... but a alloy wheelie bar, not sure what benefits it would add, i have never seen hear or read about anyone destroying their plastic wheelie bar... lol... i guess i would like to see that though.... :D

but keher brings up an excellent point... the modifications that you do to your truck are going to rely heavily on the purpose and the driver.... kyosho makes a great little truck, and i feel for most people, it would probably be fine right out of the box... with little or no modification at all.... (except for the bearings... cheapy or expensive... either way a must)

-james

kehern15
2005.12.21, 07:11 PM
The point that you bring up on bearings is very interesting, I have heard from a lot of the people on this site that the bearings at the shop are the best, but, like you, I dont mind a slight descrease in speed. What bearings do you use?

I just use the stock shocks, I also dont feel justified to spend $50 + shipping and handeling on oil shocks. ($25 for front shocks and $25 for rear shocks)

I broke my front and rear shocks mounts when I go ramping. My ramp is only about 6 in. I have broken my front and rear shock mounts. So for me, I found those alloy pieces very helpful.

My front bumber and my back wheelie bar are pretty scratched up, so I think that alloy ones would help me a lot, and they look good!

Keher

Personally, I think that buying a MZM for a 6 year old is kinda ummmm... a wast of money. This is none of my buisnesses, so please dont feel offended. I personally dont feel justified to spen $140 on a child. No offense or anything. There are some other cheaper options too, the TRU monster truck and the iWaver 04. Just a suggestion. Sorry once again for any insults that I may have said.

SteveR1960
2005.12.21, 07:19 PM
Keher,

I totally understand your opinion on the waste of money of a Monster Z on a 6 year old. I have already heard that about $60 XMODs from folks for the same reason - too expensive for a 6 year old. I don't take your comments as an insult, just as your opinion.

I just disagree.

BTW - where does one purchase an IWaver 04 in the U.S. ?

Updated: I see them on Ebay for $90 delivered. I notice I can find MZMs on the net for $120 delivered. So just $30 more. Worth a test.

Steve

landmine55
2005.12.21, 07:22 PM
yeah i would buy a iwaver for a six year old but a monster is to much for me to keep it running I have spent about 200$ in it and its still in pecies

SteveR1960
2005.12.21, 07:36 PM
yeah i would buy a iwaver for a six year old but a monster is to much for me to keep it running I have spent about 200$ in it and its still in pecies

You probably do a lot of outdoor jumping?

I was thinking of an indoor offroad track.

BTW - what is not running about yours?

Mazda787b
2005.12.21, 07:45 PM
Steve, where in MI are you from? A bunch of us race in Ann Arbor every other Friday, you are more than welcome to come down.

SteveR1960
2005.12.21, 07:48 PM
Steve, where in MI are you from? A bunch of us race in Ann Arbor every other Friday, you are more than welcome to come down.

I live in Midland. I get to Ann Arbor once in a while but not too often in winter unless on business. What do you folks race and what do you race on?

Mazda787b
2005.12.21, 11:12 PM
Heh, actually this site and the "TinyRC Empire" is based out of Ann Arbor. We race just about anything (MZMs, Xmods, OLs, etc), but msot of us are running MR-01s, 02s, and an iWaver every once in awhile. We run on a track comprised of 2 RCP Wide Ls with a CORE lap counting system. Check the Tracks & GTGs area for more info.

james399
2005.12.22, 02:57 AM
The point that you bring up on bearings is very interesting, I have heard from a lot of the people on this site that the bearings at the shop are the best, but, like you, I dont mind a slight descrease in speed. What bearings do you use?

I just use the stock shocks, I also dont feel justified to spend $50 + shipping and handeling on oil shocks. ($25 for front shocks and $25 for rear shocks)

I broke my front and rear shocks mounts when I go ramping. My ramp is only about 6 in. I have broken my front and rear shock mounts. So for me, I found those alloy pieces very helpful.

My front bumber and my back wheelie bar are pretty scratched up, so I think that alloy ones would help me a lot, and they look good!

i have gotten several sets of bearings both from over seas and in the u.s.

personally through several sets of testing, they are all marginally the same... it is true, i have purchased some expensive bearings, and they are nicer... but nothing a thorrough cleaning and regreasing would fix on a cheap bearing.... however at this point i only get bearings made in the u.s., it is only two or 3 dollars more off of the bay, but it gets to me in 2-3 days instead of 2-3 weeks...

but i have tried the v(somthing or another) along with the bearings sold by d i n b a l l .... but generally i get the cheapest set on ebay sold in the u.s. and i go through a really throrough cleaning and greasing before i use them... then there fine....

as for your shock mounts... thats interesting that they broke... if you are using stock ride height, then your suspension probably bottoms out a lot placing much more strain on your stock mounts... if you lift it on lssm, you in crease the amount of travel on the suspension decreasing the strain on the shock mounts, doesn't bottom out as much....... hmm... some testing is in order.... lol....

-james

edit: im always jumping my monster off the curbs and stuff, launched it off of a foot tall jump before.. but the results are never pretty... lol.... but never broke a shock mount...

SteveR1960
2005.12.23, 07:04 PM
BTW - what is the "wheelie bar" add on?

james399
2005.12.24, 05:15 AM
huh? not sure what you mean...

SteveR1960
2005.12.24, 09:34 AM
See:

http://www.******.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=144_21_512&products_id=6177

james399
2005.12.24, 06:05 PM
the link has been changed, what goes in place of the asterisks?

14u2catch
2005.12.24, 07:41 PM
great choice steve (on the mzm) if you like spending money on something in need of upgrades

SteveR1960
2005.12.24, 10:20 PM
James - the asterisks were - "******"

14 - are you saying you think the mzm is unreliable?

james399
2005.12.24, 10:21 PM
James - the asterisks were - "******"

14 - are you saying you think the mzm is unreliable?

ha ha ha ha... they astericked it out again, put some spaces between the various letters, and it will appear.....

SteveR1960
2005.12.24, 10:37 PM
ha ha ha ha... they astericked it out again, put some spaces between the various letters, and it will appear.....

***r***c**m***a***r****t

james399
2005.12.25, 05:53 AM
BTW - what is the "wheelie bar" add on?

finally made it to the website... took a bit longer then i anticipated...

the item is a replacement wheelibar....

your stock mzm will come with one....

have you thought of running stock or modified suspension??

-james

SteveR1960
2005.12.25, 12:55 PM
Everyone seems to recomend a replacement suspension, but my intended use is very gentle. I plan an indoor offroad track on my foam mat track system. I currently have a 12'x8' foam mat area I use various insulated PVC pipe configurations on. I plan to use some small skate board jumps and other simple stunts to make the trackk. So everything is very gentle. I have no outdoor jumping initially planned. Main goal with the MZM is to have my son play with it, see if he likes it and if I should get another one so we can play together. Basically, it's winter here in Michigan and no opportnity for outdoor play.

Now come summer, that's a different story. I am still planning soft surface uses - basically the back yard when dry, but realize there may be more issues. For example, things you ram into won't be padded, dirt in the car, etc., etc. May have to upgrade motors and other stuff for more oompf. We'll see. Absolutely no plans to do anything like 3' jumps into the air on a concrete driveway.

BTW - while looking for ideas, I ran into this site:

www*****rentaraceway******com

Check out the indoor monster track at the bottom of the page. Also check out the video (link in the menu bar on left side of the page.

james399
2005.12.25, 07:14 PM
Everyone seems to recomend a replacement suspension, but my intended use is very gentle. I plan an indoor offroad track on my foam mat track system. I currently have a 12'x8' foam mat area I use various insulated PVC pipe configurations on. I plan to use some small skate board jumps and other simple stunts to make the trackk. So everything is very gentle. I have no outdoor jumping initially planned. Main goal with the MZM is to have my son play with it, see if he likes it and if I should get another one so we can play together. Basically, it's winter here in Michigan and no opportnity for outdoor play.

Now come summer, that's a different story. I am still planning soft surface uses - basically the back yard when dry, but realize there may be more issues. For example, things you ram into won't be padded, dirt in the car, etc., etc. May have to upgrade motors and other stuff for more oompf. We'll see. Absolutely no plans to do anything like 3' jumps into the air on a concrete driveway.

BTW - while looking for ideas, I ran into this site:

www*****rentaraceway******com

Check out the indoor monster track at the bottom of the page. Also check out the video (link in the menu bar on left side of the page.

hey check out this link,
i posted some photos, of a suspension bridge and stuff i made....

you should look into rock climbing capabilities of the mzm as well...
it requires a little more finesse to control.....

check out dogbreathracing's gallery, he has set up a few tracks and ramps, and has some nice action shots....

-james

SteveR1960
2005.12.25, 07:29 PM
hey check out this link,
i posted some photos, of a suspension bridge and stuff i made....

you should look into rock climbing capabilities of the mzm as well...
it requires a little more finesse to control.....

check out dogbreathracing's gallery, he has set up a few tracks and ramps, and has some nice action shots....

-james

Hey thanks! Dogbreathracing's gallery was awesome. BTW- did you post the link of the suspension bridge?

james399
2005.12.25, 07:52 PM
here are some photos....
the crazy looking desert seen i found on the internet...

the cheasier looking stuff i made... lol...

SteveR1960
2005.12.25, 07:59 PM
here are some photos....
the crazy looking desert seen i found on the internet...

the cheasier looking stuff i made... lol...

Thanks - I ran into that pic on the web. As for your stuff. It only has to work and be fun. You can always spray paint it if you need to impress folks. How did you make it?

EMU
2005.12.26, 01:15 PM
I mainly use the MZM for outside use. Alloy shock towers are a must, they mainly break when crashing, not when landing from jumps. I have never broken towers from a jump. The servo case also tends to break where the stabilization rod balls attach. I would recommend that you have a few servo cases in stock as well as knuckles, or go alloy. An alloy servo case will make it difficult to impossible to wheelie, since it adds alot of weight to the front end.

SteveR1960
2005.12.27, 05:13 PM
I mainly use the MZM for outside use. Alloy shock towers are a must, they mainly break when crashing, not when landing from jumps. I have never broken towers from a jump. The servo case also tends to break where the stabilization rod balls attach. I would recommend that you have a few servo cases in stock as well as knuckles, or go alloy. An alloy servo case will make it difficult to impossible to wheelie, since it adds alot of weight to the front end.

Great tips. Thanks!

james399
2005.12.27, 11:25 PM
Thanks - I ran into that pic on the web. As for your stuff. It only has to work and be fun. You can always spray paint it if you need to impress folks. How did you make it?

spray foam...

on cardboard, and to make the bridge i chopped some branches and drilled wholes and connect them via twine...

landmine55
2005.12.28, 03:56 PM
hey my steering is broken because i use to run in my woods and i was going full speed and my monster fell into a small rut and did about 6 flips and broke the moter and wires to the board and i think i just might get the yellow mad killer from a t o m i c m o d s . com for 120$ :D

james399
2005.12.28, 05:44 PM
have you tried reattaching the wires... everything should work, if you reconnect it all...

my steering on my monster has gone out several times... everytime i take it apart to check the servo or the board, it turned out to be a broken wire.... resoldering the wires back fixed the steering....

-james

edhchoe
2006.01.05, 04:50 PM
I have only one MZM and my 4 year old son loves to play with it. I let him use one of my 1/10 scale RC cars and he is a much better driver than he used to be when he was 3.

For any RC car, my first upgrade is the bearings. I buy the cheapest ones.
So far, I have replaced the broken parts with alloys - knuckles, steering arm, and front and rear shock mounts. The front gearbox is barely getting by. If the screw hole gets broken again (I'm on my second gearbox), I will have to buy the expensive alloy front gearbox.