PDA

View Full Version : 1/28th Talk

Shaun
2005.12.26, 07:47 PM
Cool, we got our own place to talk. :)
Patrick, how's your FET project going? You run your new Atomic motors yet?
Have you found anymore ID tags(cheap ones) for the CORE system?

BTW It's a GO for Saturday 1/7/06. See you at 12:00.
Who do you expect to show up on Saturday?

Shaun
2005.12.26, 09:21 PM
Hey Patrick, if you have some pictures of the current track layout, could you post some on the main thread so people can get a look at the track. I would post some but I don't have any of the track.

Thanks

AtlRC
2005.12.27, 01:29 PM
Well, for everyone's info, I blew out my FET's on my Mini-Z by trying to run the modified I-Waver motor. I've since removed the old ones successfully. I used a 15/30 watt soldering pencil on the 30 watt setting. I ground the tip down to a fine point. It wasn't too hard to remove the existing ones.

I've ordered and received the new FETs, but I haven't had the chance to put them in yet. I'm hoping to try tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm fairly proficient at soldering but have never soldered anything this small. It look like it'll kind of be like soldering the legs of a tick to a circuit board. :eek:

I haven't had a chance to try out my new Atomic stock motor yet since the FETs are still out and I'm still working on the RFID tags.

Shaun
2005.12.27, 09:30 PM
Have you used those 10* Atomic Grooved tires yet? What did you think of them?

Where you going to remove or change the grass parts of the track?

AtlRC
2005.12.29, 12:26 PM
FET update:
So I installed my new FETs a couple of nights ago. They aren't to hard to solder on the board if you have fairly good soldering skills. Everything looked good... but after putting everything back together, reverse didn't work. I checked all the connections for continuity, still looked good. I had left the batteries in the car during this process so the car would have some weight to it while I was working on it. Well, while playing around with the board (pushing things around with my fingers), lots-o-smoke started pouring out near one of the FETs :eek: !!! I quickly checked the power switch, and it was still in the off position. Now usually when you "let the smoke out" of electronics, they quit working... but for some miraculous reason... everything now worked :rolleyes: !

So my theory about what happened is this... I used soldering flux on the board and chip. I didn't think to clean the flux off after I was done. I'm guessing that the flux was shorting out the reverse circuitry. That short finally heated up and burned (smoked) the flux away and everything started working. Anyway, that's my theory.

Atomic Tires:
As far as the 10* grooved Atomic tires... I didn't like them. The grooves are really deep so it seems like the tires have a lot of side to side flex. Possibly because of the combination of grooves and a very soft compound. The rear end just seems too loose. I'm thinking that they may be better in a 20 or 30 deg (harder) compound. Shaun: I'll let you (or anyone else) try them next time if you'd like.

Grass borders on the track:
I'll have them off by next race if they don't tear up the track in the process. I've pulled a couple of them off easily and a couple more not so easily. I'm still looking for a thinner substitute. I do like the grass around the borders, but it must be thinner so cars cannot get stuck or thrown too far off course when a car touches it.

Banked corners:
I will also look into banking one of the corners for the next race. I have some ideas that I will play around with this weekend.

Shaun
2005.12.29, 07:12 PM
I like the grass also, just needs to be thinner. As far as banking goes I can live without it. Maybe a slight amount of banking on the turn after the straight would be okay.

Glad to hear your FET project went okay. Smoke is very scary when dealing with electronics.

Shaun
2005.12.31, 07:40 PM
Patrick - How many racers can the CORE system support during a race? I think about 6 racers would be max for a race on your track. Have you moved the timing loop? We also need to make a permanent starting grid for 1 - 6. I like the stagered starting grid. Like F1 racing.

.....5] 3] 1] <------ Sorta like this. What do you think?
..6] 4] 2]

I was also thinking about race lengths. 5 minutes seems about right. Just like 1/10th TC racing. 4 qualifiers and Triple A-Mains would be great. We can also rotate starting positions during qualifying rounds to give all racers a chance to start in the front. But during all Mains racers will start in the postion in which they qualified.

Triple A-Mains
* Points System * Most points for best 2 races wins!
1st = 10 pts
2nd = 9
3rd = 8
4th = 7
5th = 6
6th = 5

Take the best 2 races out of 3 for each racer. In event of a tie in points the 3rd main finishing position will determine the winner. If a racer wins both the 1st and 2nd Mains, they will not have to start the 3rd Main to be declared the winner.

We should also have an ATL Mini Racing sign-up sheet at the track. Everyone can put their name, class, frequencies and additional information on it. Also, do you have printer to hook-up to the laptop? I'll bring plenty of paper so we can print out race results and starting positions.

Just thinking out loud. Have a Happy New Year!

AtlRC
2006.01.02, 01:41 PM
Shaun: The core system will support as many racers as you'd like in a single event. I think you're right that 6 would be a good number. I've ordered a 16' USB extension (signal boosted) so that we can have the finish line on the back straight. It should be here by Wed (this week). I'll paint a starting grid like you mentioned... I think that will work well.

4 or 5 min qualifiers and 5 min mains sound good to me too. So far, I haven't been able to get the software to do triple A-Mains. I've made some posts in the core forums, but I haven't heard anything yet. I really don't think it is possible with Core's software. Maybe we can come up with a workaround to accomplish this.

I have a spare printer that I'm setting up now, so we'll be able to post heats and results. I have plenty of paper here already, but I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the suggestions! It's good to hear ideas from others. Thanks again!

Shaun
2006.01.02, 04:04 PM
I like having the qualifiers and mains the same length. It's easier to track improvements in your set-ups and driving skills if all the races are the same length. That way you can compare # of laps in the qualifiers vs mains. It also gives you a chance to beat the track record in every race.

As far as Triple Mains go, is there any way to run a race then Re-run it again. We could just do that a couple of times. Just keep track of points manually.

AtlRC
2006.01.02, 04:49 PM
Good point on the qualifier/main length.

I'm guessing that there is a way to re-run a main... I'll check it out tonight.

CoreAnalog
2006.01.02, 08:48 PM
Shaun: The core system will support as many racers as you'd like in a single event. I think you're right that 6 would be a good number. I've ordered a 16' USB extension (signal boosted) so that we can have the finish line on the back straight. It should be here by Wed (this week). I'll paint a starting grid like you mentioned... I think that will work well.

4 or 5 min qualifiers and 5 min mains sound good to me too. So far, I haven't been able to get the software to do triple A-Mains. I've made some posts in the core forums, but I haven't heard anything yet. I really don't think it is possible with Core's software. Maybe we can come up with a workaround to accomplish this.

I have a spare printer that I'm setting up now, so we'll be able to post heats and results. I have plenty of paper here already, but I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for the suggestions! It's good to hear ideas from others. Thanks again!

After you sort the mains, simply go to the "A Main" in the race manager and run the "Sort Heats" command and change the number of runs to 3. We ran triple A Mains
at the PN Racing Finals.

--Core

AtlRC
2006.01.02, 09:06 PM
After you sort the mains, simply go to the "A Main" in the race manager and run the "Sort Heats" command and change the number of runs to 3. We ran triple A Mains
at the PN Racing Finals.

--Core

Cool! Thanks!

Shaun
2006.01.05, 07:51 PM
Patrick - have you had a chance to run your car with the FET upgrade?
How about your Atomic motor?

I won't forget to bring your Iwaver Diff on Saturday.

See you later.

AtlRC
2006.01.05, 08:03 PM
Patrick - have you had a chance to run your car with the FET upgrade?
How about your Atomic motor?

I won't forget to bring your Iwaver Diff on Saturday.

See you later.

Yeah, the FET upgrade worked well. It's kind of hard for me to compare the new FETs to the old FETS since I immediately put in the Atomic Stock Motor. The car almost has too much power. Lots of acceleration and top end... not to mention braking. Too much braking in fact. I'm assuming this is due to the stronger magnets. But anyway, it's working nicely. Now if I can only control it.

I'm looking forward to the ball diff. It'll let me dial in some much needed slip. Thanks.

Shaun
2006.01.05, 10:53 PM
Control is key! I found that I can run faster laps with a car that's slower and easier to drive. It enabled me to run a smoother more consistant pace.

I know what you mean about the braking feel with the Atomic Stock motor. Mine does the same thing. It is the stronger magnets that slow the motor down much quicker than a stock Mini-Z motor. The Atomic Standard motor doesn't have the strong magnets like the Stock Version, it gives a more even braking feel. It's just not as fast as the Stock.

Shaun
2006.01.06, 02:53 PM
I have an extra Iwaver transmitter that I'm not going to be using anymore.
I can bring it with me tomorrow if anyone wants it. It has some extra features not found on the stock Mini-Z transmitter.

Iwaver LCD Transmitter $20
http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/iwaverlcd.jpg

I also have some extra bodies I'm not going to use.

Kyosho Diablo Red RM
Kyosho Murcielago Green MM
Firelap F1 GTR Black MM
Firelap F1 GTR Red MM
Firelap Enzo Black MM
Iwaver F355 Ferrari Red RM
Iwaver Saleen S7 Black MM 98mm
Iwaver Saleen S7 Orange MM 98mm

Let me know :)

AtlRC
2006.01.06, 03:02 PM
I'll take a look at the bodies. Thanks.

Shaun
2006.01.06, 04:03 PM
I'll bring all the bodies with me. I'll also bring all my wheel sets.

Shaun
2006.01.11, 11:05 PM
Well I managed to put 3 fully functional MR-02 MM cars together with all my extra parts. One is an Iwaver with a MR-01 board installed upside down to allow a 2x5 FET stack to fit. I'll bring all 3 with me Sunday to play around with. :)

http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/zcrew.jpg

Shaun
2006.01.24, 08:10 PM
I saw these at RC mart for $2.90. That's for 4 rear tires. Seems like a good deal. Wonder how well they work? May have to pick some up on my next order. Just have to make sure the AWD rear tires are 11mm wide.
Details:
- Rear Tyre set V pattern 10 ( Degree ) - 2 Pairs For Mini-z AWD

www.3racing.com.hk

AtlRC
2006.01.24, 09:19 PM
I saw these at RC mart for $2.90. That's for 4 rear tires. Seems like a good deal. Wonder how well they work? May have to pick some up on my next order. Just have to make sure the AWD rear tires are 11mm wide.
Details:
- Rear Tyre set V pattern 10 ( Degree ) - 2 Pairs For Mini-z AWD

www.3racing.com.hk

Those look pretty interesting. If you decide to order some and you buy extra, I'll buy some off of you and split up the shipping.

Shaun
2006.01.24, 10:06 PM
Those look pretty interesting. If you decide to order some and you buy extra, I'll buy some off of you and split up the shipping.

Sounds good to me. Checkout RC mart and see if they have anything you can't live without. :) If there's something you want I'll get it with my order and bring it with me Sunday. This should help with shipping costs.

HEY! Didn't you want some alloy knuckles? ;)

Let me know.

bemoore
2006.01.25, 12:46 PM
Sounds good to me. Checkout RC mart and see if they have anything you can't live without. :) If there's something you want I'll get it with my order and bring it with me Sunday. This should help with shipping costs.

HEY! Didn't you want some alloy knuckles? ;)

Let me know.
Hey Shaun, are you taking orders? If so, can I join in? When are you planning on placing your order? Also, what are the tires you have on this car:

http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/motormount.jpg

Twenty-Se7en
2006.01.25, 01:01 PM
Man, wish I was from that area... it's like a pot head having a dealer next door...lol

Shaun
2006.01.25, 04:27 PM
Hey Shaun, are you taking orders? If so, can I join in? When are you planning on placing your order? Also, what are the tires you have on this car:

Sure Billy! Just email me a list of the items you want. I'll place my order in the next few days.

The tires on my car are the GPM 8 degree radials.

Shaun
2006.01.25, 07:34 PM
To be more specific, those rear tires are these:

GPM (#MR2891AR08G) Rubber Rear Rad. Tire (C) For ORI.- 8 Deg

AtlRC
2006.01.28, 08:14 PM

When you going to order Shaun? Do you think we save very much on shipping by ordering together? I don't remember if the shipping was based on weight or $$$ amount ordered?

Shaun
2006.01.28, 08:30 PM
When you going to order Shaun? Do you think we save very much on shipping by ordering together? I don't remember if the shipping was based on weight or $$$ amount ordered?

I was going to place my order tonight. The shipping is based on weight.

What items were you thinking of getting? I'm more than happy to add them to my order.

AtlRC
2006.01.28, 09:04 PM
I was going to place my order tonight. The shipping is based on weight.

What items were you thinking of getting? I'm more than happy to add them to my order.

Ok then, I'll take these:

2 sets of:
ATOMIC (#AR144) A.W.Grove 10 Degree (W)

1 set of the tires for the AWD that you were talking about.

A full set (front and rear) of the 3mm offset Atomic wheels (the white ones like yours - same offset).

I would like just one of these... the one that is the same caster as the original steering knuckles:
Atomic (0*) Alloy Steering Knuckle for MR-02/MR-015 [AR122]
Atomic (1*) Alloy Steering Knuckle for MR-02/MR-015 [AR123]
Atomic (2*) Alloy Steering Knuckle for MR-02/MR-015 [AR124]

and this...
Kyosho (#MZW203) Stainless King Pin For MR02/015

Thanks!

Shaun
2006.01.28, 09:15 PM
What body are you gonna use with the +3mm offset wheels?

The original camber is 0 degrees, which would be the AR122. I dont see the AR122 on their site. The AR166 is the same thing and a dollar cheaper.

AtlRC
2006.01.28, 09:18 PM
What body are you gonna use with the +3mm offset wheels?

The original camber is 0 degrees, which would be the AR122.

AR122 is good then.

I'm going to try to use my body... you think they'll work with my body or stick out too much? I'm eventually going to get the Atomic body when I get a MR02 MM and I know it comes with the wheels, but I thought I'd try the wheels out in the mean time. If you don't think they'll work with my body, could you order whatever offset that will work with my body (0?). I like the white dish wheels. Thanks.

Shaun
2006.01.28, 09:25 PM
AR122 is good then.

I'm going to try to use my body... you think they'll work with my body or stick out too much? I'm eventually going to get the Atomic body when I get a MR02 MM and I know it comes with the wheels, but I thought I'd try the wheels out in the mean time. If you don't think they'll work with my body, could you order whatever offset that will work with my body (0?). I like the white dish wheels. Thanks.

Tell you what, I have an extra set of white dish wheels. +3mm offset F+R and some 0 offset F+R. We can try these on your car Sunday and if they fit I'll sell them to you. Not sure what offset will work best with your body?

Do you have a pic of your car showing the current wheel offset you're running?

Shaun
2006.01.28, 09:35 PM
Okay, I did a quick search and found out that the 350Z has a 0.5mm offset F+R. Which means you can run the 0 offset wheels with no problem. If you think you have a little room to go wider you could try +1mm F+R.

What do you think?

Shaun
2006.01.28, 10:15 PM
I'll plan on placing my order tomorrow evening.

This is what I have for you so far:
1 x 3Racing (#AWD-08) Rear Tyre Set V Pattem 10Deg
2 x ATOMIC (#AR144) A.W.Grove 10 Degree (W)
1 x ATOMIC (#AR166) Alu. Steering Knuckle(II) For Mini-Z MR02(0Degree)
1 x Kyosho (#MZW203) Stainless King Pin For MR02/015
And I have some white dish 0 offset F + R wheels for you.

Let me know if you want to add anything else.

AtlRC
2006.01.28, 10:47 PM
Sounds good. It looks like the 1mm offset may work with this body, but I'll try yours to make sure. It looks like the front tires may rub when turning if using the 1mm offset in the front.

Thanks Shaun.

AtlRC
2006.01.29, 12:20 AM
Could you add this to the order too?

ATOMIC (#AR94) Front Spring Up & Down Adjustable Post For Mini-Z MR-02 & F-1

Thanks.

Mzfreak
2006.01.29, 10:31 AM
Hey Partik. Did you get the tires yet? Do you think the stock rear xmod tires would be good for my rear wheels because i tried it on hardwood floors and it didnt really slide so much.

andy

Shaun
2006.01.29, 10:51 AM
Could you add this to the order too?

ATOMIC (#AR94) Front Spring Up & Down Adjustable Post For Mini-Z MR-02 & F-1

Thanks.

Item has been addded. Will order tonight.

AtlRC
2006.01.29, 11:50 AM
Andy - Do want us to order you a set of good tires? I'm not sure about the X-Mod tires... if they are the soft ones, they may work. I don't have any soft X-Mod tires so I can't say for sure.

Shaun - Could you order me the AR123 (1deg castor steering knuckles) instead of the 0deg. Thanks.

bemoore
2006.01.29, 03:24 PM

Shaun,

On this page at RC Mart:

http://www.******.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=144_21_70_483

they have those tires and others. What does the (C) specify? Along with that, what does (B) and (D) specify? And, what does ORI mean?

And, what is the difference in slicks and radials in how they affect the handling?

Thanks.

bemoore
2006.01.29, 03:30 PM
Okay, I did a quick search and found out that the 350Z has a 0.5mm offset F+R. Which means you can run the 0 offset wheels with no problem. If you think you have a little room to go wider you could try +1mm F+R.

What do you think?
This may be good news for me. Since we thought that we put a set of those 0 offset wheels on a McLaren body, and had problems with tires coming off from wall hits, we may be able to fix this problem with correct offset wheels. Do you have any 0 offset wheels for sale that would look good on a McLaren?

Shaun
2006.01.29, 05:43 PM
Shaun,

On this page at RC Mart:

http://www.******.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=144_21_70_483

they have those tires and others. What does the (C) specify? Along with that, what does (B) and (D) specify? And, what does ORI mean?

And, what is the difference in slicks and radials in how they affect the handling?

Thanks.

(C) refers to tread pattern. (B) and (D) are just different tread designs. Not sure about ORI. Radials seem to hook up better than slicks.

I do have some 0 degree offset wheels. I'll bring them with me on Sunday.
Some are silver and the others are black.

Mzfreak
2006.01.29, 07:43 PM
patrik:

yeah sure. i think some rear tires would be fine.

-andy-

AtlRC
2006.01.29, 07:55 PM
patrik:

-andy-

OK, I should have enough here for you.

Shaun
2006.01.29, 07:59 PM
patrik:

-andy-

Andy, I have plenty of extra rear tires. I'll have them with me Sunday. I also still have those bodies you wanted.

Patrick - I'm working on some prototype 15mm rear wheels and tires.
Check this out.
http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/widetires.jpg

bemoore
2006.01.29, 08:24 PM
(C) refers to tread pattern. (B) and (D) are just different tread designs. Not sure about ORI. Radials seem to hook up better than slicks.

I do have some 0 degree offset wheels. I'll bring them with me on Sunday.
Some are silver and the others are black.
Shaun,
If it's not too late, I'd like to add to your order a set of tires just like the ones you mentioned, the "GPM (#MR2891AR08G) Rubber Rear Rad. Tire (C) For ORI.- 8 Deg "

Thanks

Shaun
2006.01.29, 08:29 PM
Shaun,
If it's not too late, I'd like to add to your order a set of tires just like the ones you mentioned, the "GPM (#MR2891AR08G) Rubber Rear Rad. Tire (C) For ORI.- 8 Deg "

Thanks

Billy - I just finished placing my order at RC mart. I do have an extra set of those rear tires brand new still in new package. I bring those with me Sunday.

AtlRC
2006.01.29, 09:33 PM
Those wheels and tires are cool Shaun! It'll be interesting to see how they work! We might have to try to make some dual compound (dual tread) fronts as well.

Shaun
2006.01.29, 09:42 PM
I've tried them on my RCP track a few times. They seem to really plant the rear end of the car. Can't wait to try them on your track. If I need more front end traction, I was planning on using some 11mm 0 offset wheels up front. More rubber meeting the road!

Shaun
2006.02.06, 09:49 AM
Well after 8 days of waiting for an email to say our order from RC mart had shipped out, I sent them a messege requesting the status of our order.
They replied back saying due to Chinese New Year their offices have been closed for 4 days. Shipping will be delayed, Sorry. I ordered our stuff EMS to make sure it would arrive by Sunday. Not sure if I will have it by Sunday. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Shaun
2006.02.07, 08:19 PM
Got bored with my Wide-L RCP track. Thought I would make it a little more difficult. Yes, those are paper plates! Very high tech stuff. Trying to improve my driving skills!

http://www.imagehosting123.com/user_images/shaunmac/rcpl.jpg

TheApe
2006.02.08, 10:20 PM
Pretty creative, and cost effective :D